Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting notes -- Utah RB, Devontae Booker

For whatever reason, it seems he didn't accept the Senior Bowl invite...? He had a 'minor' meniscus tear in November and missed the rest of the season, but the hope was for him to be ready by now. Maybe he had a setback, or maybe he's not in his best shape yet and wants to keep rehabbing for the Combine. Makes sense. You all may know by know, but a meniscus is a minor recovery, but has serious long term implications, because cartilage and fibrocartilage doesn't grow back. I would bet that he needs another operation on his knee within the next three years, and then it's downhill. No question that he can be in great shape for workouts and camp, but knee cartilage injuries make me nervous. He couldn't qualify academically after high school, went to a JUCO and still took some time to get the grades ready to go to a major program. That's why he'll be 24 less than a month after the draft.

Size: Listed at 5'11", 212 pounds, and he's well built and proportioned, with long but lean longs, and longish arms. Not as thick or powerful as I'd prefer. Hands are normal size. (3/5)

Athleticism: No 6th gear, and 5th gear isn't that impressive. His straight line and open field speed aren't anything to get excited about. He can blow through the initial hole and get to the second level, but his speed usually doesn't take him past second level defenders, and he'll be caught from behind on long runs. Decent acceleration to get to and through the hole, quick lateral movements to set up blocks, nice jump cut ability, can scoot around the corner if the defense doesn't angle well, but not really a threat to take it outside for a big gain. Seems to have decent lower body burst and explosion, but again, nothing great. Not a quick twitch or explosive athlete. (5/10)

Vision: Mostly a zone runner, mostly out of shotgun or pistol sets. Prone to miss the hole or cut back prematurely, not very effective behind a lead blocker. If you don't light up the expressway for him, he's probably not gaining anything. Doesn't find small creases to make moderate gains out of nothing. Will cutback or take it outside for a moderate gain from time to time. In the NFL, I would project him as a better fit for a power scheme with clearly defined running lanes, not a zone/cut runner, even though that's what he's tried to be in college. (4/10)

3rd Down Ability: Very good hands as a receiver, ability to track the ball even when he doesn't see it released, over his shoulder, catch with one hand, pirouette to catch passes behind him and then get back upfield, etc. Has plenty of production as a receiver, so this is not theoretical or projecting, he can produce as a pass catcher for sure. Nothing special as a route runner, but takes proper split/depth for wheel/angle routes. He's a very willing blocker, which is often code for being a bad blocker. His size limits his effectiveness, but he'll get his hands dirty in protection, over and over again. Sees the pressure well and steps up to create an obstacle, could do a better job of staying square. Positions well for cut blocks, which he's effective at. (7/10 [4/5 for receiving and 3/5 for pass blocking])

Balance: Tough runner who will get through arm/ankle tackles, keeps his feet moving to shrug off arm tackles even by bigger defenders, can dance through traffic to slip hits and keep moving, and will break tackles in the open field. Not elusive, but does a good job of weaving to avoid taking direct hits when he's not in a crowd. If you don't form tackle him, he's probably going to keep moving forward. (8/10)

Physicality: Eager and aggressive when it's time to take contact, both with and without the ball. Finishes runs well in one-on-one situations, even against bigger defenders. Arm tackles come up short often. He's not blowing anyone up or bowling anyone over, and he's not ripping through two guys and carrying linemen on his back, but he still manages to fall forward. Solid, square tackles usually take him down right away. (6/10)

Improvisation: Not much. Will change direction when necessary, has a little bit of wiggle to get through the hole, slalom-style, has a spin move to aid change of direction. Not making anyone miss in the open field. (3/10)

Ball Control: I watched five games on DB, and saw one fumble and one drop, on like 200 touches. Stats show no fumbles lost in two seasons at Utah. No issues with ball security that I can see, and I think he has normal hand size. (9/10)

Overall: 45/75, 60%, Day Three prospect, 4th round or later

Booker is a pretty good all around back with good production in two years at Utah. His injury probably isn't a big issue for teams, unless something comes up in his medical rechecks. Nor are his academic issues, since he seems to be a good citizen, just didn't have good grades (some of that was missed filing deadlines, apparently, not even grades). He's just a little small for an everydown back, and doesn't have the speed, quickness or suddenness that teams usually look for out of a smaller back. He does have good receiving skills and is an eager blocker and a hard worker on the field. Limited ceiling, but very capable of being a solid producer. If I had to compare him to someone, I'd say he reminds me of Ryan Grant, former Packers RB.

I was really unimpressed with him as well given the 2nd-3rd round grades he had been receiving.  Typically a guy who goes has top end explosiveness and/or 3 down ability now (or some mixture thereof), but I don't see Booker having either right yet.  Potential may be there, but he'd be a low end feature back if he ever reached his full potential (maybe like a Chris Ivory type, with a little better blocking depending on development).  Even in the 4th round, there's other guys I like better than Booker.  

14 hours ago, Iancolts said:

I don't see any RB that deserves a 2nd or 3rd round picks this year.  I would rather spend a 6 pick on freeman from Oregon if he is still there. 

If you are talking about Royce Freeman. He can't come out until next year. I would rather wait until next year to draft our future at RB anyway. If everyone comes out that class will be loaded. I don't see a franchise guy in this years class.

Freeman is a guy I really like 6'0 229 power and speed. He can catch the ball. He had over 1700 rushing yards this year at 6.6  yards a clip. He will probably go in the 1st or 2nd round. Again if they all come out there could be a handful of RB's going in the first two rounds. 

I think the guy you are thinking of this year is Byron Marshall. I would love to add him at the end of the draft as well. 5'10 205l looks stout with the burst for long gains. 

He lead the Ducks in rushing yards as a Sophomore over 1,000 yards at close to 6 yards a pop. Then to keep him on the field he switched to WR as a JR. He put up over a 1,000 yards as a wide out. He added  a couple of hundred rushing as well. 

He was primed for a big year this year. He was the leader of that WR crew. He'd get a few carries, and be the main KR. Unfortunately he was one of the Ducks that went down early when the injury bug hit that team. He had leg surgery from an injury during the Utah game week 4. 

I think he would be a great addition in the 6th. He could be a change of pace guy, handle receiving downs as a RB, play in the slot if we needed it, and help out on special teams as a KR.

I like the kid a lot. He's tough as nails and going back to Mariota when they needed a first down or a big play more often than not it was #9 on the other end. I could see NE having an interest in him.