Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Carson Palmer

Jules

I do like this guy, but does anyone think he is on the hot seat at all after this postseason? Yes we all saw him vs. the Panthers, unfortunately. But, even vs. Green Bay he had a very shaky outing as well. And in the final regular season game vs. Seattle the Cards got pummeled. Not a good ending to a great season for the Cardinals and Palmer despite a good year and a playoff win. He was looking at being a potential MVP of the year to now being a side joke for these recent playoffs.

6 minutes ago, Jules said:

I do like this guy, but does anyone think he is on the hot seat at all after this postseason? Yes we all saw him vs. the Panther, unfortunately. But, even vs. Green Bay he had a very shaky outing as well. And in the final regular season game vs. Seattle the Cards got pummeled. Not a good ending to a great season for the Cardinals and Palmer despite a good year and a playoff win. He was looking at being a potential MVP of the year to now being a side joke for these recent playoffs.

Unless he has a magical potion or elixir like Brady to throw like he is 28 or 29 when he is 38 :) , his physical limitations are bound to catch up with him much like Peyton's. Playing in a physical division like the NFC West and playing for Arians throwing so much will make him look like 38 or 39 next year, I feel for him.

In fact, Peyton being out for those games helped him this year more than anything else. Father time gets them all, maybe Brady has some Gisele elixir from Brazil, I have wondered :dunno:

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Unless he has a magical potion or elixir like Brady to throw like he is 28 or 29 when he is 38 :) , his physical limitations are bound to catch up with him much like Peyton's. Playing in a physical division like the NFC West and playing for Arians throwing so much will make him look like 38 or 39 next year, I feel for him.

In fact, Peyton being out for those games helped him this year more than anything else. Father time gets them all, maybe Brady has some Gisele elixir from Brazil, I have wondered :dunno:

Yeah, this was likely Palmer's last hurrah. His arm likely couldn't hold out the whole season, and I wouldn't be surprised if it gives out even earlier next year. Dude probably doesn't know it yet, but he's toast, particularly in the Air-ians Assault offense.

As for Brady, scheme and tremendous coaching help him a lot. McDaniels has done a tremendous job of scheming to squeeze the maximum talent out of the NE receivers. Tom's reaching that age where the clock strikes midnight on QB's though. The thing about QB's is, you'll probably see it all at once, and towards the middle of the season. Suddenly, his arm will just fall off. Brady probably has about 2 more years left in him, if I would care to guess. That would give him Favre levels of longevity, and all with the same team. Not things to be taken lightly.

I don't think so, he had too good of a year to just cast him aside. I know it sounds like a weak reason, but the finger may have been more of an issue than they let on. Even if that wasn't the reason, every QB has a bad game every now and then, his just happened to come at the worst time. He's getting older, but he'll be back next year and I'd like to see Arizona win a SB.....as long as it's not at the Colts expense.

1 minute ago, The Peytonator said:

I don't think so, he had too good of a year to just cast him aside. I know it sounds like a weak reason, but the finger may have been more of an issue than they let on. Even if that wasn't the reason, every QB has a bad game every now and then, his just happened to come at the worst time. He's getting older, but he'll be back next year and I'd like to see Arizona win a SB.....as long as it's not at the Colts expense.

Seattle now has an identity, one that they were struggling with earlier this year, it will be Russell Wilson's team moving forward and I do not see them losing the division to the Cardinals next year.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Seattle now has an identity, one that they were struggling with earlier this year, it will be Russell Wilson's team moving forward and I do not see them losing the division to the Cardinals next year.

Most likely, unfortunately. Wilson is way better than people give him credit for, especially on here. I also wouldn't count out the Rams, although they would be smart to get rid of the most overrated head coach of all time.

20 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Most likely, unfortunately. Wilson is way better than people give him credit for, especially on here. I also wouldn't count out the Rams, although they would be smart to get rid of the most overrated head coach of all time.

It would be hard, Fisher did go 2-0 vs the Seahawks, one of those wins came against a resurgent Wilson late in the season. He knows well to play mobile QBs and one dimensional offenses, one would have to grind it out vs a Jeff Fisher team when he has the defensive horses.

27 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

I mean, you could call anyone over rated when you ask them to make successful teams based around QB's like Jake Locker, Nick Foles, Sam Bradford, Kerry Collins, and Vince Young. Jeff Fisher is a weird one to try and judge honestly. He's been given mediocre talent for years, and can generally make any team have to grind it out against him, but often to mediocre results.

He's also got this weird tendency to coach chippy, rough around the edges teams, that will fight at the drop of a hat. I think that old school, roughneck mentality hurts him more than anything in the modern game.

He's quietly, unofficially on the hotseat imo. The good thing about that is he just needs 1 good series in the preseason to erase all that though. 

The Panthers would have did to anybody at home what they did to Carson yesterday imo. They were just on a whole other level. That game was the real SB imo. It was the 2 best teams. If the Broncos win, it will be an upset by the 3rd best team in the league over the best team in the league imo.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't think there's anything physically wrong with him, besides the finger. He just played like garbage yesterday. It happens. He's always been a gunslinger, he just made a thousand mistakes all at once.

I'm sure he'll be fine.

That's exactly it.......the finger injury was underestimated...

Arizona kinda blew a tire in week 16 and they were jacked up from that point on....

....But Carson Palmer was hurt in both playoff games...he couldnt throw the ball exactly where he wanted to.

..and you're right...he is a gunslinger with a gunslinger calling the plays.

3 hours ago, SkyBane said:

I mean, you could call anyone over rated when you ask them to make successful teams based around QB's like Jake Locker, Nick Foles, Sam Bradford, Kerry Collins, and Vince Young. Jeff Fisher is a weird one to try and judge honestly. He's been given mediocre talent for years, and can generally make any team have to grind it out against him, but often to mediocre results.

He's also got this weird tendency to coach chippy, rough around the edges teams, that will fight at the drop of a hat. I think that old school, roughneck mentality hurts him more than anything in the modern game.

Thing is, he didn't have success with those players. There's no 'every once in awhile Fisher's teams overachieve.' He's barely in the playoffs, hasn't won a playoff game in forever, and his teams are basically a game or two below .500, at best, for the last decade. Two seasons above .500 in the last 11 years. He has almost mediocre teams, every year, almost without exception.

I could see being in Fisher's corner if his teams were sneaking into the playoffs or even above .500 every once in a while. Lovie Smith's last three years in Chicago, he was 29-19, and 1-1 in the playoffs, with Jay Cutler as his QB. Jeff Fisher is 20-28 in his last three years. He was 21-26-1 the three years before that. This is just what he is, a mediocre coach with a mediocre team (and he's had personnel control for the last four years, so...)

Maybe he's not overrated anymore. I think people in general are starting to understand that he's not as good as they said he was a few years ago. 

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

That's exactly it.......the finger injury was underestimated...

Arizona kinda blew a tire in week 16 and they were jacked up from that point on....

....But Carson Palmer was hurt in both playoff games...he couldnt throw the ball exactly where he wanted to.

..and you're right...he is a gunslinger with a gunslinger calling the plays.

Maybe it's the finger, but he was making bad decisions, throwing into double coverage, not reading the safety, etc. Those decisions aren't any better with a good finger.

It's like Peyton Manning throwing six picks in San Diego in 2007. Yeah, it was raining, but he made a lot of bad throws that had nothing to do with the rain. Just an ugly game. It happens to the best of them.

The extension to this question is.. who would you replace him with?

He's as others have said a gun slinger, and asked to throw deep a lot (oddly his deep throwing has been a lot worse than Cam's this season when you consider that was his strength and Cam's weakness), he's going to make mistakes or have bad plays.

The worry I'd have is his mentality if anything, he seemed rattled the last 2 games. What is it with Bengals QBs and playoff games?

14 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

He's quietly, unofficially on the hotseat imo. The good thing about that is he just needs 1 good series in the preseason to erase all that though. 

The Panthers would have did to anybody at home what they did to Carson yesterday imo. They were just on a whole other level. That game was the real SB imo. It was the 2 best teams. If the Broncos win, it will be an upset by the 3rd best team in the league over the best team in the league imo.

I don't think Arizona was the team they were a few weeks ago, IMO. The way they lost to the Seahawks at the end of the season, the way they struggled to put away Green Bay, which was more of a playoff contender than SB contender this year, led me to believe Arizona would have been behind both the Patriots and Broncos if you ranked the Panthers, Patriots, Broncos and Cardinals before the championship games. 

I do agree however that the Panthers stand tall and are a cut above the rest.

I think the Cards will be looking for their future quarterback. Not because he played a bad game against the Panthers, but because he is getting long in the tooth. May be they need to do like an Osweiler/ Manning thing and groom their up an coming quarterback.

Definitely not Palmer's finest hour on Sunday night. I felt horrible for Carson especially when Peterson picks on Newton & then wham right before halftime #3 throws an ill advised turnover. Ouch. Sorry man. 

Yesterday, I watched NFL Network's special "A Football Life" on Bruce Arians & during the show he played his team a song called "I'm about to kick somebody's caboose" to give his locker room confidence. haha He's so positive it's contagious. Oh, he can be tough too but only to make his men better on game day. 

The only problem AZ looked overwhelmed vs Carolina. Not a pretty picture. I just was really rooting for BA, Dwight Freeney, Corey Redding, Larry Fitzgerald, & Tom Moore. Carson is still a skilled QB who will easily start next year too. 

16 hours ago, Superman said:

Maybe it's the finger, but he was making bad decisions, throwing into double coverage, not reading the safety, etc. Those decisions aren't any better with a good finger.

It's like Peyton Manning throwing six picks in San Diego in 2007. Yeah, it was raining, but he made a lot of bad throws that had nothing to do with the rain. Just an ugly game. It happens to the best of them.

Honestly he looked like that against GB too...I think the bright lights got to him a bit. I like him as opposed to most qbs coming out of USC...but he didn't look good this postseason in my opinion. I think Arizona will look at a young qb in the early rds if they find a guy they like. Gotta groom the next generation. Carson has a couple years left...window is closing on a LOT of these qbs...not just Peyton and Tom.

18 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I hope you are right.......

Just think Carson didn't do the biggest stage as well as I had hoped all season long. 

Will give you credit too BC, you said all along that for those saying the Panthers were flukey......they were not. That they were not the 2011 Packers for example lol.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:04 AM, Superman said:

Thing is, he didn't have success with those players. There's no 'every once in awhile Fisher's teams overachieve.' He's barely in the playoffs, hasn't won a playoff game in forever, and his teams are basically a game or two below .500, at best, for the last decade. Two seasons above .500 in the last 11 years. He has almost mediocre teams, every year, almost without exception.

I could see being in Fisher's corner if his teams were sneaking into the playoffs or even above .500 every once in a while. Lovie Smith's last three years in Chicago, he was 29-19, and 1-1 in the playoffs, with Jay Cutler as his QB. Jeff Fisher is 20-28 in his last three years. He was 21-26-1 the three years before that. This is just what he is, a mediocre coach with a mediocre team (and he's had personnel control for the last four years, so...)

Maybe he's not overrated anymore. I think people in general are starting to understand that he's not as good as they said he was a few years ago. 

I'd like to see Lovie get another chance. He's got some history with the Rams too. I doubt they'd fire Fisher for him though. I can't see how Rex Ryan gets these head coaching gigs relatively easy while always being inept on offense but Smith whose been to the Super Bowl and the playoffs has to sit out an entire season before being offered another HC gig. Gets fired from Chicago with a winning record before that. Then he gets axed from Tampa before he even gets a chance to remake that scrub defense. I know people say his teams usually have problems on offense but I don't think its any more than Fisher and Ryan. This is a guy who took Rex Grossman to the Super Bowl.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I'd like to see Lovie get another chance. He's got some history with the Rams too. I doubt they'd fire Fisher for him though. I can't see how Rex Ryan gets these head coaching gigs relatively easy while always being inept on offense but Smith whose been to the Super Bowl and the playoffs has to sit out an entire season before being offered another HC gig. Gets fired from Chicago with a winning record before that. Then he gets axed from Tampa before he even gets a chance to remake that scrub defense. I know people say his teams usually have problems on offense but I don't think its any more than Fisher and Ryan. This is a guy who took Rex Grossman to the Super Bowl.

I'm not a Lovie fan, either, but I'd probably put him above Jeff Fisher at this point.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not a Lovie fan, either, but I'd probably put him above Jeff Fisher at this point.

Love- .506 winning percentage

Fisher- .52 winning percentage

I wouldn't want either. Who wants to go around .500 every year

Jeff Fisher 21years and only 6 winning seasons

Lovie-  11 years and  5 winning seasons