Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Upsets Yet in the Playoffs

King Colt

The closet thing to an upset in the playoffs is the lopsided scoring in the Panthers - Seahawks game, all Carolina then all Seahawks. That being said with the lopsided predictions so far all favoring NE and Peyton possibly facing his last game, will Denver play it straight up with a lot of running and short passing and heavy blitzing on defense that would be what everyone would expect? Philips has to have some kind of different strategy against the quick release of Brady now the he has his receivers all healthy. The offense also is going to have to do something out of the ordinary was well and I am sure Manning has his hands in on it. I will be shocked if Denver does not have a "special" game plan whatever it will be. Take away all of the players and this game may be won or lost on strategies.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Denver turned Peyton loose in the old system and went right after New England? I am talking about setting up in the gun and going all over the field with those receivers and hope they can hold onto the ball this week. I don't know if they will do that. I don't think the plan of pounding the running game will accomplish much with NE.

And I don't think there will be.   No matter who wins,  these teams are so even that it's not beyond imagination to think any one of them could win.  Broncos and Patriots?  No matter what no upset there.  Cardinals and Panthers? Maybe Cardinals,  but they are the second highest scoring team beyond panthers, so no upset there either in my opinion.

18 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

And I don't think there will be.   No matter who wins,  these teams are so even that it's not beyond imagination to think any one of them could win.  Broncos and Patriots?  No matter what no upset there.  Cardinals and Panthers? Maybe Cardinals,  but they are the second highest scoring team beyond panthers, so no upset there either in my opinion.

I don't know when not 1 person at ESPN picks Denver to win out of around 20 people it looks to me if Denver wins that would be an upset in those people's eyes. Having said that I agree with you and I have to be completely honest I think Denver should be favored by a point or 2 being at home with that Defense and a healthy Peyton.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't know when not 1 person at ESPN picks Denver to win out of around 20 people it looks to me if Denver wins that would be an upset in those people's eyes. Having said that I agree with you and I have to be completely honest I think Denver should be favored by a point or 2 being at home with that Defense and a healthy Peyton.

I Get that,  but just looking at the teams and not taking into account people's opinions, both are evenly matched.  I'm talking about how is not a big surprise if Denver wins,  like when Pittsburgh beat Indy in the playoffs.  

I define an upset more about the chances of a team winning, and how they match up.  Redskins beating the Packers would have been an upset imo. Denver beating NE, not so much.

5 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

I Get that,  but just looking at the teams and not taking into account people's opinions, both are evenly matched.  I'm talking about how is not a big surprise if Denver wins,  like when Pittsburgh beat Indy in the playoffs.  

I define an upset more about the chances of a team winning, and how they match up.  Redskins beating the Packers would have been an upset imo. Denver beating NE, not so much.

Yep. I'm with ya here, Narcosys. An upset in this game would be a lopsided win by either team. Really hope Denver's defense can get to Brady. 2.3/2.4 is extremely quick for Brady's release. If that defense of the Broncos can get Edelman/Amendola/Gronkowski at scrimmage and delay, it would benefit Denver immensely. If that happens, Brady could get sacked, hurried, and throw some ducks. In that case, the Broncos along with Peyton being on his game, should take it.

Hope that's the case. I do not want to see New England in their 9th Super Bowl.

1 minute ago, ColtRider said:

Yep. I'm with ya here, Narcosys. An upset in this game would be a lopsided win by either team. Really hope Denver's defense can get to Brady. 2.3/2.4 is extremely quick for Brady's release. If that defense of the Broncos can get Edelman/Amendola/Gronkowski at scrimmage and delay, it would benefit Denver immensely. If that happens, Brady could get sacked, hurried, and throw some ducks. In that case, the Broncos along with Peyton being on his game, should take it.

Hope that's the case. I do not want to see New England in their 9th Super Bowl.

I am not sure what the Pats secret is compared to other teams regarding throwing these short passes and being highly successful with it. You can bump WR's inside of 5 yards. The Broncos need to rough Edleman up at the line of scrimmage by bumping him and just double Gronk. There are other teams like even us that have the same talent level and don't do it like they do. Edleman isn't better than TY Hilton for example.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure what the Pats secret is compared to other teams regarding throwing these short passes and being highly successful with it. You can bump WR's inside of 5 yards. The Broncos need to rough Edleman up at the line of scrimmage by bumping him and just double Gronk. There are other teams like even us that have the same talent level and don't do it like they do. Edleman isn't better than TY Hilton for example.

That's a large sticking point. Rough these guys at the line without penalty. Denver does this, and they have an excellent chance of winning the game. 

I don't know if I'd call that Seattle/Carolina game close at all. it was over within the first 3 minutes of the game. 

Closet thing we've had to an upset was the Patriots, who choked it away today off poor coaching decisions. Should have kicked those field goals instead of going for it.