Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New England @ Denver (Gday/Post Game - Merged)

oldunclemark

2 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

"Like the Patriots of the early 2000s when the D knew the plays that were coming"???

Was that a Spygate reference? Because you know Spygate as all about filming defensive signals...right? Which I guess would have helped out offense??? The offense that you continue to disparage and say it was all the defense that won those games for us?

Regardless, we're all hypocrites. Patriots fans, Colts fans, Broncos *supporters*. We always argue the side that fits our narrative. Yes...ALL of us. That's what being a fan is....especially when dealing with the Peyton/Brady debate. You all loved blaming Brady for *only* scoring 14 points in the Superbowl in 2007 when they had the highest scoring offense of all time. That happened until Peyton *only* scored 8 points in the Superbowl in 2013 when they had the highest scoring offense of all time. Patriots fans blamed Peyton when Vanderjagt missed a field goal and the Colts lost in 2005, Colts fans are blaming Brady when Gostkowski missed an extra point on Sunday. 

This is what we do. It's a cycle based on who has the upper hand at that specific moment. It's always been that way, and always will be.

Actually....THIS is why Brady is rightfully blamed for scoring 14 points in that Superbowl. 

Losing 17-14 when you personally scoff at the fact someone thought you would *only* score 17 points vs. scoring 8 when your team got destroyed in every aspect and lost by 35 are not equal. It's easy to see why Brady can be blamed for that game but you trying to blame 43-8 on Peyton and calling it a choke job after watching that game is a little bit of a head scratcher.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, bababooey said:

Actually....THIS is why Brady is rightfully blamed for scoring 14 points in that Superbowl. 

Losing 17-14 when you personally scoff at the fact someone thought you would *only* score 17 points vs. scoring 8 when your team got destroyed in every aspect and lost by 35 are not equal. It's easy to see why Brady can be blamed for that game but you trying to blame 43-8 on Peyton and calling it a choke job after watching that game is a little bit of a head scratcher.

You missed the whole point of my post. 

You are no different than me. Fans are all the same. We talk smack when we win and we tuck our tails between our legs and make excuses when we lose. Colts fans still blame the refs for their early exit in 2003 and 2004. Patriots fans still blame injuries for the Superbowl loss in 2011. Colts blamed Brady for losing when Reche Caldwell dropped an open pass in the 2006 AFCCG, Patriots fans blamed Peyton for losing when Hank Baskett didn't pull in the onside kick in the Superbowl. 

Our fanbases have made the same points against the other for 15 years...each playing the both sides at different times when there's a new development in the rivalry and we need to find a way to explain it. Each fanbase has good guys and bad guys and smart guys and dumb guys. The ill informed are always the loudest, some of you guys can be just as ruthless and as illogical as you criticize us for being. Every fanbase has the same nuts.

1 minute ago, dynasty13 said:

You are no different than me. Fans are all the same. We talk smack when we win and we tuck our tails between our legs and make excuses when we lose. Colts fans still blame the refs for their early exit in 2003 and 2004. Patriots fans still blame injuries for the Superbowl loss in 2011. Colts blamed Brady for losing when Reche Caldwell dropped an open pass in the 2006 AFCCG, Patriots fans blamed Peyton for losing when Hank Baskett didn't pull in the onside kick in the Superbowl. 

Our fanbases have made the same points against the other for 15 years...each playing the both sides at different times when there's a new development in the rivalry and we need to find a way to explain it. Each fanbase has good guys and bad guys and smart guys and dumb guys. The ill informed are always the loudest, some of you guys can be just as ruthless and as illogical as you criticize us for being. Every fanbase has the same nuts.

I would caution against lumping fans together. It can be a very slippery slope.

2 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

I think QB's get too much of the blame when they lose and too much credit when they win. Look at Mark Sanchez for example. Everyone praised him for going to 2 straight AFC Title games and he didn't do anything mind boggling in those Playoffs. He just managed the game.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think QB's get too much of the blame when they lose and too much credit when they win. Look at Mark Sanchez for example. Everyone praised him for going to 2 straight AFC Title games and he didn't do anything mind boggling in those Playoffs. He just managed the game.

I don't remember him getting much 'praise'....but you're right about quarterback responsibility. It's always been that way whether it's fair or not.

I understand and agree, just pointing out the hypocrisy in not giving Peyton the credit that Brady would have received if the results were reversed. 

Also pointing out the hypocrisy of who receives the blame in these losses. Not just your fanbase but on a national level; one of those QBs wins alone and loses as a team, despite being around the best coaching and a more complete team for his entire career. The other QB wins as a team and "chokes" alone no matter who is coach is or if he had to win the game on his own his whole career up until now. All the one-and-dones fall on him and none of it on the guys I mentioned on the previous page. That's the truth.

16 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

I couldn't agree more.     I've grown very  tired of these discussions and comparisons...

I feel really fortunate to have witnessed such a great rivalry, on TV, in the Media, and in person.

And I'm happy Peyton won the final Chapter.  :D

Just now, bababooey said:

I understand and agree, just pointing out the hypocrisy in not giving Peyton the credit that Brady would have received if the results were reversed. 

Also pointing out the hypocrisy of who receives the blame in these losses. Not just your fanbase but on a national level; one of those QBs wins alone and loses as a team, despite being around the best coaching and a more complete team for his entire career. The other QB wins as a team and "chokes" alone no matter who is coach is or if he had to win the game on his own his whole career up until now. All the one-and-dones fall on him and none of it on the guys I mentioned on the previous page. That's the truth.

See how it changes if Peyton wins one more game. 

The media is a different animal. But hey, if you don't think the media treats Peyton with kid gloves then I don't know what else to say. The 'choking' narrative comes from other fanbases...not the media. Unfortunately for Peyton, that narrative started in 2003 and 2004 when he did not play well in the postseason, and it stuck. Sometimes you just cant shake the perception no matter what you do to prove it wrong. The same thing with Brady just on the other side...he won 3 Superbowls in 4 years and his narrative was written...so he probably gets the benefit of the doubt even when it isn't deserved.

As much as things have change for both Peyton and Tom in the last 10 years...many still stick to what happened in that first 3 years of the rivalry and they haven't changed their mind. It's too bad and it's unfair...and I'm sure it doesn't help that much of the media consists of former players that had a hand in forming those narratives when they were still playing.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'd say he managed most of those playoff games...

He beat the Bengals in the first round after beating them the week before to make the playoffs behind a solid team effort. Cromartie (when on SD) missed a wide open tackle on Shonn Greene in SD that broke the game open, then they got beat by us.

Next year Sanchez led a drive against the Colts in Peyton's last game in Indy down the field with a minute left and won on a FG because our D was a joke. He went into N.E. after losing 45-3 a few weeks earlier and pulled out a win with some nice dime passes to Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards. LT also had a receiving TD but the D did get Brady to throw his first pick in like 10+ weeks and hit him a few times. Welker also sat out the first series for his foot comments.

That defense (Revis Island) and ground and pound (LT and Greene) were the brightest spots on that team, and then when he had to win the game against Pitt he couldn't.

3 minutes ago, bababooey said:

The 9 1 and done's are a negative on his resume but 6 of those were in the Divisional Round against really Very Good teams at that point.  To me being 4-1 in the AFC Title Game and 3-1 vs Brady + having won a SB offsets those 1 and done's, JMO.

See how it changes if Peyton wins one more game. 

The media is a different animal. But hey, if you don't think the media treats Peyton with kid gloves then I don't know what else to say. The 'choking' narrative comes from other fanbases...not the media. Unfortunately for Peyton, that narrative started in 2003 and 2004 when he did not play well in the postseason, and it stuck. Sometimes you just cant shake the perception no matter what you do to prove it wrong. The same thing with Brady just on the other side...he won 3 Superbowls in 4 years and his narrative was written...so he probably gets the benefit of the doubt even when it isn't deserved.

As much as things have change for both Peyton and Tom in the last 10 years...many still stick to what happened in that first 3 years of the rivalry and they haven't changed their mind. It's too bad and it's unfair...and I'm sure it doesn't help that much of the media consists of former players that had a hand in forming those narratives when they were still playing.

I can agree with this. Psychology says that we remember most the beginning and end of something and not so much the middle. Like if you were trying to memorize something on a list. So the beginning was very formative, then those middle years where Peyton won one and beat Brady several times and Brady couldn't get over the hump and had some bad playoff losses. One QB finally got back over the hump and hopefully the other one does as well and retires a champion.

When you have Dungy and Rodney on NBC, or Saturday and Bruschi on ESPN, whom haven't been involved with either player on the field in forever then yeah the narrative won't change.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The 9 1 and done's are a negative on his resume but 6 of those were in the Divisional Round against really Very Good teams at that point.  To me being 4-1 in the AFC Title Game and 3-1 vs Brady + having won a SB offsets those 1 and done's, JMO.

You can refer to my previous post on the prior page of just a few instances of the one and dones to NY, San Diego, Pittsburgh/Miami, Baltimore (as a Bronco). He lost the Jets and Broncos game the same way, scored what should have been the winning score and left with a lead with under a minute left that was squandered; one by a blown coverage hail mary. Pitt and Miami you can thank Vanderjagt for, and Dallas Clark dropping the game sealing 1st down catch on 3rd down against SD so we don't have to punt and they don't score and win.

He got smoked by the Jets before his prime and Indy in the first round last year, and had a close loss against SD and TEN as well that are blemishes. On the whole, 9 one and dones look horrible, and having a bye in some of these means he doesn't have a winning playoff record. All but the first NYJ and last years Indy loss were by less than one score (so 7 of 9) so call him "not clutch" if you want but I just mentioned above who could have done their job better to win 5 of those 7 one score games. Peyton is not blameless, but most people don't like to do research and find this out for themselves. All four of his non-first round losses were to the team that won the SB (NEx2, NO, SEA). 

Brady could easily be 6-0 in SB's or 0-6 based on how close they were. There is a reason why AV is the only guy beloved by both franchises. Heck if Evans holds onto a ball, or Cundiff doesn't subsequently miss a chip shot then he has or could have one less AFC championship win and one less SB loss. He played insane last year and still could have have lost vs. early in his career when he didn't have to do as much and still won. It's funny how these things work out.

It's just tough to call Peyton a choker when you look at it at a more granular level. AROD on the other hand....

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

You can refer to my previous post on the prior page of just a few instances of the one and dones to NY, San Diego, Pittsburgh/Miami, Baltimore (as a Bronco). He lost the Jets and Broncos game the same way, scored what should have been the winning score and left with a lead with under a minute left that was squandered; one by a blown coverage hail mary. Pitt and Miami you can thank Vanderjagt for, and Dallas Clark dropping the game sealing 1st down catch on 3rd down against SD so we don't have to punt and they don't score and win.

He got smoked by the Jets before his prime and Indy in the first round last year, and had a close loss against SD and TEN as well that are blemishes. On the whole, 9 one and dones look horrible, and having a bye in some of these means he doesn't have a winning playoff record. All but the first NYJ and last years Indy loss were by less than one score (so 7 of 9) so call him "not clutch" if you want but I just mentioned above who could have done their job better to win 5 of those 7 one score games. Peyton is not blameless, but most people don't like to do research and find this out for themselves. All four of his non-first round losses were to the team that won the SB (NEx2, NO, SEA).

Brady could easily be 6-0 in SB's or 0-6 based on how close they were. There is a reason why AV is the only guy beloved by both franchises. Heck if Evans holds onto a ball, or Cundiff doesn't subsequently miss a chip shot then he has or could have one less AFC championship win and one less SB loss. He played insane last year and still could have have lost vs. early in his career when he didn't have to do as much and still won. It's funny how these things work out.

It's just tough to call Peyton a choker when you look at it at a more granular level. AROD on the other hand....

Im so glad the cheaters "revenge tour" came to a crashing halt.

I was glad to see Denver won the game.  It's kind of funny that the only Pats fan posting on here is Dynasty13 who wasn't over confident in the first place.  I wonder what the reasons are for the Pats loss from the other posters?  Injuries? Bad line? Overconfident? Denver got lucky?  I expected the Pats to win but I knew the Broncos had a chance with #18's experience and that legit defense.  From my point of view, the Broncos flat out outplayed the Pats.

25 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Get ready for deflategate 2.0......von miller says ball he intercepted from Brady was flat.........I hope he was joking....if not, I'm gonna laugh so hard, I may die

He was just talking trash, just grabbed the ball and was like feels a little deflated to me. He also said he tried to rub something of his on Tom Brady's face when he sacked him.

8 hours ago, dynasty13 said:

We aren't allowed to say how we really feel because we will be told we're wrong or that it was a backhanded insult :)  I know you all want us to rush back and say we were wrong about Peyton and you all told us so and he had a great game but let's be honest, if he had a great game then the Broncos would have won by 30. He did enough to win and that should be commended. But let's not give him the AFCCG MVP or anything! ;)

As I said before, Peyton was good in the first quarter, he got those 2 touchdowns in the first 16 minutes and that's all he needed. I give him all the credit in the world for that, but you won't catch us saying that he had a great game because that would be a bit disingenuous. The point is it just doesn't matter if he did or didn't...he did what he had to do and it was enough. The Denver defense was spectacular and forced Brady to make some mistakes that ended up being too big to overcome. He looked uncomfortable, he was hit more times than I'd like to remember, and every throw seemed rushed. With that said, the game was still close and they had a chance to tie it with 12 seconds left but couldn't get it done.

The Broncos will have their hands full with the Panthers, but nothing in this league surprises me anymore and as we all know...the better defense can often lead a team to the trophy.

Honestly I just wanted to hear how you guys break down the game. I don't visit your guys site or anything and I've got no motive other than just trying to see the game from another angle. I especially wondered what you thought of the play calling by McDaniels, the decision for not kicking fgs particularly the first time down there with like 6 minutes to go, and both Brady's and Peyton's performance. I thought both played very very below avg outside a couple drives each....Peyton played well in the first half but disappeared in the second...and Tom looked really rattled for like 3 quarters...clearly not one of his best performances but yet I thought the world of how tough he was for hanging in there and taking some monster shots when I think some guys like Ben and some others will try to be all dramatic about the hits. I don't care about the stupid narratives in the media (yes they are biased and yes you nailed it that they were established almost 15yrs ago when since then the two have played fairly even). I don't even care for the Colt/Peyton crowd's opinion..I've heard it enough...yes they are gloating but that's what fans do. Mostly I was just wondering what you guys that come on here felt about the game itself...not the result or legacy crap. Thanks for posting and sharing. If I had been a Patriot fan I would have had some serious issues with some of the stuff in that game and wondered if you saw the decisions made the same way I did. Its not just to you..but any of the normal Pat fans that come in here. Honestly it was the first time I've questioned Pats coaching or ability to make the necessary adjustments.

I'm gonna be honest here. When Gronk caught that touchdown in the 4th qtr, I was like darn Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, & DeMarcus Ware was sacking Brady for 3 & a half quarters & then Tom was a 2 pt. conversion from overtime. Thank god for that Taleb deflected pass & then safety Shiloh Keo secured the victory on a pick. 

NE did have an incredible year & I know how devastating it is to lose a SB opportunity. It blows so I can understand their frustration. Been there before. Trust me. 

It was cool to see Peyton walking around with his daughter at Mile High after the confetti fell. Nice. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

LMAO, I didn't hear that. If he said that he had to be joking.

56 minutes ago, bababooey said:

He was just talking trash, just grabbed the ball and was like feels a little deflated to me. He also said he tried to rub something of his on Tom Brady's face when he sacked him.

Yeah I have no clue, caught the audio on the radio earlier. But I couldn't tell.

The 1 thing that worries me is Cam Newton's touch, accuracy, & velocity on long passes. He's so good at those especially when he connects to his security blanket Gregg Olson. I know that Peyton has a similar connection with Owen Daniels but Cam has better end zone success than Manning does in the 2nd half, which greatly concerns me. That & a healthy Jared Allen. 

I'm pulling for 18 naturally. I just know what an uphill battle it will be vs those Panthers LBs. Cam won't be easy to sack either like Big Ben a giant skyscraper of mass & muscle. 

Von Miller was like possessed demon with his hair on fire Sunday. Every time, I looked up he was bearing down on Brady. His 1st step off the line of scrimmage is so quick & Tommy was hit like a rag doll all afternoon.

That's what you gotta do against Brady though. Keep hitting him until he sees pass rushing ghosts in the final 12 minutes. Anytime Brady starts pump faking/hesitating you know he's seeing double out there. The 2007 SB Giants gave the entire league the blueprint on that. Just get in Brady face & make him go backwards.  Edelman wasn't really a factor either which shocked me.  

DC Wade Phillips called a superb game too. 

In the interest of full disclose, I thought Jamie Collins gave Peyton Manning some problems on Sunday too. That dude is a freaking athletic beast man. Collins made his presence known. That's for sure. That guy always works his tail off week to week. 

5 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I was glad to see Denver won the game.  It's kind of funny that the only Pats fan posting on here is Dynasty13 who wasn't over confident in the first place.  I wonder what the reasons are for the Pats loss from the other posters?  Injuries? Bad line? Overconfident? Denver got lucky?  I expected the Pats to win but I knew the Broncos had a chance with #18's experience and that legit defense.  From my point of view, the Broncos flat out outplayed the Pats.

I don't know BC1. When INDY lost the SB to New Orleans in 2009, I was pretty upset & didn't wanna talk to anybody for a few days because I was ticked off, my emotions were raw, & I figured a brief holiday from the Forum was better than getting suspended. 

Getting so close to the Promiseland & losing is like getting the wind knocked out of ya. You feel numb, perplexed, angry, & just in a haze man. It wasn't until a friend of mine said that the Saints needed the SB to cheer about after Hurricane Katrina that I finally let it go. You never let it go completely, but as time goes by you learn to tolerate what transpired. JMO. 

Plus, I respected Sean Payton & Drew Brees which cushioned the blow just a tiny bit because I like the Bayou, her music, & I have nothing against the citizens their who love their jazz dadeo. 

The hardest part was seeing Porter's pick of Manning over & over again all off season. You kept having this constant reminder. Training camp couldn't come fast enough. LOL!

10 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I don't know BC1. When INDY lost the SB to New Orleans in 2009, I was pretty upset & didn't wanna talk to anybody for a few days because I was ticked off, my emotions were raw, & I figured a brief holiday from the Forum was better than getting suspended. 

Getting so close to the Promiseland & losing is like getting the wind knocked out of ya. You feel numb, perplexed, angry, & just in a haze man. It wasn't until a friend of mine said that the Saints needed the SB to cheer about after Hurricane Katrina that I finally let it go. You never let it go completely, but as time goes by you learn to tolerate what transpired. JMO. 

Plus, I respected Sean Payton & Drew Brees which cushioned the blow just a tiny bit because I like the Bayou, her music, & I have nothing against the citizens their who love their jazz dadeo. 

When we lost that SB I tuned out everything for days. I didn't watch the NFL Channel for a month. That was bad haha 

On 1/25/2016 at 11:47 PM, Jules said:
5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When we lost that SB I tuned out everything for days. I didn't watch the NFL Channel for a month. That was bad haha 

In 2013 when the Broncos lost, my job canceled work, the entire city was a ghost town, and I didnt watch anything related to football until the draft. I didnt even log onto the Broncos Country MB till preseason. It was awful.

Also, whats up with the quotes on here? 

1 minute ago, VDB said:

LOL, I know the feeling but at least the Pats fans have had that feeling too. Imagine being 18-0 and losing to the WildCard led Eli Giants in the SB as a 14 point favorite haha I think every fan has been there. Bills fans too with Norwood's missed FG. I like Denver's chances in this game though, hopefully Peyton gets you guys another Ring.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

LOL, I know the feeling but at least the Pats fans have had that feeling too. Imagine being 18-0 and losing to the WildCard led Eli Giants in the SB as a 14 point favorite haha I think every fan has been there. Bills fans too with Norwood's missed FG. I like Denver's chances in this game though, hopefully Peyton gets you guys another Ring.

I like our chances as well. Too many people have been counting the Broncos out and thats ok! More motivation for the team. If Wade Phillips can come up with a gameplan like he did against the pats, itll be tough to beat our defense. 

And at  least I wasnt old enough to appreciate the beatings the Broncos took in the 80s, thank god. Actually I hadnt been born for a couple of them so even better haha

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The worst part is when friends & family say "lighten up It's just a game." Ah, no it's not. Not when you love a team & come within grasp of another title it's not. 

Okay, technically it is a game sure, but when a team is part of your identity & that onside kick caught my Colts off guard; I was miserable long after that game ended. 

Just ask Minnesota fans how they feel about missed field goals & lost SB & playoff opportunities. It sucks. 

9 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

The worst part is when friends & family say "lighten up It's just a game." Ah, no it's not. Not when you love a team & come within grasp of another title it's not. 

Okay, technically it is a game sure, but when a team is part of your identity & that onside kick caught my Colts off guard; I was miserable long after that game ended. 

Just ask Minnesota fans how they feel about missed field goals & lost SB & playoff opportunities. It sucks. 

My mother always tells me it's just a game, it doesn't affect your life when I talk to her on the phone or visit her. A lot of people just don't understand though when you have a passion for something and a team or even a player, etc.. It stinks when they lose, plain and simple. Diehard Football fans like us and many on here are a different breed compared to most people. Losing hurts as a rooting fan when you invest time in following it.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My mother always tells me it's just a game, it doesn't affect your life when I talk to her on the phone or visit her. A lot of people just don't understand though when you have a passion for something and a team or even a player, etc.. It stinks when they lose, plain and simple. Diehard Football fans like us and many on here are a different breed compared to most people. Losing hurts as a rooting a fan when you invest time in following it.

I know exactly what you mean buddy. No disrespect to your mother of course, but you're right, it does feel sometimes like people are minimizing your heartbreak over a devastating loss. And you don't have to be directly affiliated with something or someone to experience loss. It can feel as real as losing a close friend or classmate. 

It boils down to what you said passion & personal investment. Not only that football is a global cultural event like watching the Oscars. You don't literally need to be there to experience joy, pain, bewilderment, or confusion. It's as real as being there in the flesh & people who share similar experiences even across the internet on a Colts Forum feel like family even though many will never meet face to face. 

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I know exactly what you mean buddy. No disrespect to your mother of course, but you're right, it does feel sometimes like people are minimizing your heartbreak over a devastating loss. And you don't have to be directly affiliated with something or someone to experience loss. It can feel as real as losing a close friend or classmate. 

It boils down to what you said passion & personal investment. Not only that football is a global cultural event like watching the Oscars. You don't literally need to be there to experience joy, pain, bewilderment, or confusion. It's as real as being there in the flesh & people who share similar experiences even across the internet on a Colts Forum feel like family even though many will never meet face to face. 

haha   I agree SW1.   I don't always join in gameday conversations on here, but when I do I really enjoy "watching" the games with friends on here.

23 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

haha   I agree SW1.   I don't always join in gameday conversations on here, but when I do I really enjoy "watching" the games with friends on here.

Gramz, 

You'll appreciate this. I knew Peyton Manning was gonna be released by the Colts, but I was unprepared for how emotional I was getting during that press conference when Jim Irsay let 18 go. Tears were streaming down my face even though I never met Peyton personally. I just admired him so much & I couldn't believe he was leaving INDY. 

It like when a family member is ill, passes away, & it doesn't hit home until the wake, funeral, & lowering the casket into the ground. Reality is finally driven harshly home. It's actually happening. It's not speculation that you can delay or put off anymore. Sigh...

It really helped knowing other fans were crying over this event just like I was. Very cathartic knowing I wasn't alone. We were all channeling our disbelief & agony together. Peyton feels like family to millions of fans. He's not just another HOF QB. 

The closest parallel to it [it being a fan's personal connection with an athlete] is the intimacy of say talk radio. The program goes out to billions of listeners, but it feels like the DJ is just having a 1 on 1 conversation with just you & you alone. Sounds strange I know but it's the truth. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Gramz, 

You'll appreciate this. I knew Peyton Manning was gonna be released by the Colts, but I was unprepared for how emotional I was getting during that press conference when Jim Irsay let 18 go. Tears were streaming down my face even though I never met Peyton personally. I just admired him so much & I couldn't believe he was leaving INDY. 

It like when a family member is ill, passes away, & it doesn't hit home until the wake, funeral, & lowering the casket into the ground. Reality is finally driven harshly home. It's actually happening. It's not speculation that you can delay or put off anymore. Sigh...

It really helped knowing other fans were crying over this event just like I was. Very cathartic knowing I wasn't alone. We were all channeling our disbelief & agony together. Peyton feels like family to millions of fans. He's not just another HOF QB. 

The closest parallel to it [it being a fan's personal connection with an athlete] is the intimacy of say talk radio. The program goes out to billions of listeners, but it feels like the DJ is just having a 1 on 1 conversation with just you & you alone. Sounds strange I know but it's the truth. 

Ditto brother. The only saving grace was Andrew was there to Draft and Thank God. So as bad as the moment was it was the right move IMO and as that was happening I knew we had a another Franchise QB coming to town. Peyton gave us everything he could and we did need to rebuild so it worked out for us and worked out for Peyton playing for a team that has a Great Defense.

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ditto brother. The only saving grace was Andrew was there to Draft and Thank God. So as bad as the moment was it was the right move IMO and as that was happening I knew we had a another Franchise QB coming to town. Peyton gave us everything he could and we did need to rebuild so it worked out for us and worked out for Peyton playing for a team that has a Great Defense.

Amen CBE. It's nice to see Manning with a Championship defense where a team can win games with just 20-24 points offensively on average. Ron Rivera is gonna bring pressure up the middle in Peyton's face though. Just like in 2006 before HC Lovie Smith told his then DC Rivera to stop it. Let's hope the giraffe [#18] can run a few nice naked bootleg completions for huge chunks on Feb. 7th. 

Yeah, getting Andrew Luck did soften the fall significantly for Colts fans no question. 

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Imagine had we drafted Ryan Leaf instead. I don't even want to think about that! This franchise would've been awful for a long while.

Talk about a decade long nightmare. Yikes! I wonder if Ryan's still incarcerated for his pain pill addiction where he even broke into people's homes for pills. 

Part of me does feel sorry for Leaf because he was suffering from a chemical addiction to his brain not personal arrogance & disarray as his downward spiral is often falsely portrayed. I hope he's getting the professional help he needs now. 

I know you know that brother. I'm not criticizing you at all. Just others who love to kick a man when he's down, which is why I always defend Jim Irsay & his struggles with pain pills in the past too. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My mother always tells me it's just a game, it doesn't affect your life when I talk to her on the phone or visit her. A lot of people just don't understand though when you have a passion for something and a team or even a player, etc.. It stinks when they lose, plain and simple. Diehard Football fans like us and many on here are a different breed compared to most people. Losing hurts as a rooting fan when you invest time in following it.

I give myself and others I know 3 days max to dwell all over a loss. And after 3 days I call a doctor if they don't shape up. (just kidding)

It sucks to lose, but seriously use the 3 day rule IMO.

Besides Pats fans should still feel okay. They won it all last year and are almost always in the AFCCG so they might be back in the same game NEXT YEAR all over again. Sigh........

I think the most painful thing at times though with a loss is HOW you lose. Sometimes getting blown out even hurts LESS then say a close loss like we had in 2005 to the Steelers or how the Vikings lost this year lol.

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

Get ready for deflategate 2.0......von miller says ball he intercepted from Brady was flat.........I hope he was joking....if not, I'm gonna laugh so hard, I may die

If he said that no way it was not a joke. It's hilarious though to hear.

16 minutes ago, Jules said:

I give myself and others I know 3 days max to dwell all over a loss. And after 3 days I call a doctor if they don't shape up. (just kidding)

It sucks to lose, but seriously use the 3 day rule IMO.

Besides Pats fans should still feel okay. They won it all last year and are almost always in the AFCCG so they might be back in the same game NEXT YEAR all over again. Sigh........

I think the most painful thing at times though with a loss is HOW you lose. Sometimes getting blown out even hurts LESS then say a close loss like we had in 2005 to the Steelers or how the Vikings lost this year lol.

Nice post Jules. I wonder what's more devastating though. Losing by a FG or a lopsided massacre? What's a better loss? A nail bitter or a complete humiliation? Please God don't be 43-8 again Denver in SB XLVIII: That's my biggest deja vu fear actually. Not again. Dear God no...

For the record, I'm pulling for an Orange Crush victory. Cue that REM song...There I feel much better now. LOL! 

Can Coach Kubiak have HOF TE Shannon Sharpe & Safety John Lynch dress on Feb.7th too? I loved the tenacity of those 2 guys who always performed under the brightest lights & laid the wood like a heat seeking missile baby. Just kidding! 

I just want Yoda to have reinforcements man. Okay, I'll stop. I promise. 

Peyton, if this is indeed 'your last NFL rodeo' get in your offensive line's face if the Broncos get down early. I know you revere your teammates, but I wanna see some fire & grit. No, silent helmet treatment on the sidelines if you are down please. This is your last ride. Go out swinging with all your might. 

It has been a privilege watching you redefine the sport for almost 2 decades Manning. Thanks for all the memories.