Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New England @ Denver (Gday/Post Game - Merged)

oldunclemark

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, bozo said:

I don't know what media you hear from but Bradshaw is always talked up as a top 10 QB.  Those Steelers teams were probably the best of all time.  They were great at all positions.  The media needs to sell the product as individual players but most realize it is a team game.  I don't like it as many have to pump it up as QB vs QB.  

Most of the media I follow all say the 70's Steelers had some of the greatest Defenses ever and had a stacked team but when it comes to Bradshaw I rarely hear him in any Greatest ever QB discussions. It's always Montana/Brady/Unitas/Elway/Marino/Favre/Peyton in most discussions. Is it right, probably not but I have always found it odd how most people always put Montana and Brady 1 and 2 based on Rings mainly and never mention Bradshaw.

Patriots looked like garbage yesterday, and most of that had to do with the way Denver played. Hats off to them and to Peyton...he had a great first quarter and in the end, that's all he needed.

Congrats 2006Coltsbestever...you called it from the start! I didn't think Peyton would have enough to do it but in the end he had just enough. Patriots defense looked great in the 2nd half but it was too late and Peyton hit them at the beginning.

In the end Denver may have done the Patriots a favor because of how dominant Carolina looks, but hey, woulda still loved to watch em try!

2 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

Patriots looked like garbage yesterday, and most of that had to do with the way Denver played. Hats off to them and to Peyton...he had a great first quarter and in the end, that's all he needed.

Congrats 2006Coltsbestever...you called it from the start! I didn't think Peyton would have enough to do it but in the end he had just enough. Patriots defense looked great in the 2nd half but it was too late and Peyton hit them at the beginning.

In the end Denver may have done the Patriots a favor because of how dominant Carolina looks, but he, woulda still loved to watch em try!

Thanks, that was a hell of a game. I almost thought for sure when the Pats scored at the end that they would get the 2 and it would go in OT. That 4 and 10 pass Brady made to Gronk in double coverage was one of the best passes I have ever seen, great catch as well. Peyton had a Good 1st half but Denver was hanging on in the 2nd Half.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thanks, that was a hell of a game. I almost thought for sure when the Pats scored at the end that they would get the 2 and it would go in OT. That 4 and 10 pass Brady made to Gronk in double coverage was one of the best passes I have ever seen, great catch as well. Peyton had a Good 1st half but Denver was hanging on in the 2nd Half.

You had nothing to worry about, if they won the toss they would have kicked.

17 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

In the end Denver may have done the Patriots a favor because of how dominant Carolina looks, but hey, woulda still loved to watch em try!

Count on pats fans with backhanded compliments.

13 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Count on pats fans with backhanded compliments.

There's nothing 'backhanded' about it. Peyton looked good in the first quarter, built up a lead, and in the end that was enough. That's pretty much a fact. Denver had what...80 total yards in the 2nd half? The Patriots defense figured it out but the damage was done due to Peyton's 2 touchdowns in the first 17 minutes.

I'm giving him credit...I thought he was done and he surprised me. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I don't gamble so I've never looked for that stuff. I always thought, like you said, that the books move the line to keep money even.

They clearly took sides on this one. I think people mostly overlooked the Pats main weaknesses, and how they could potentially be exploited by the Broncos strengths. I understood the opening line, given how much people wanted to bet against Manning, but the Pats had some serious issues, as we saw yesterday. It's kind of a brilliant move from Vegas to bet on Denver, given the popular thinking.

I don't know why they bet on Arizona.

They knew that that big early money was from the "average Joe" and loved every dime of it. Usually the 
"early money" is from the professionals that actually beat the betting game. They will very quickly move off those opening lines and will take limited bets until they know they have the right "number." When it comes to this time of year , you have big money coming in fast and furious from spots fans. 

20 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

There's nothing 'backhanded' about it. Peyton looked good in the first quarter, built up a lead, and in the end that was enough. That's pretty much a fact. Denver had what...80 total yards in the 2nd half? The Patriots defense figured it out but the damage was done due to Peyton's 2 touchdowns in the first 17 minutes.

54 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

You could have left it right there.  You even put the "..." to replace your implied BUT statement.  May not have been your intent, but if history is telling.

So NBC sports out of Boston saying that the League needs to look into making the Bronco's pump oxygen into their stadium to give the visiting teams a chance due to the thinner air......

Funny, sure didn't stop the Colts from beating the Broncos last year in the Divisional round....I knew Pats fans were nutz and full of bull crap excuses but this one takes the cake...

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most of the media I follow all say the 70's Steelers had some of the greatest Defenses ever and had a stacked team but when it comes to Bradshaw I rarely hear him in any Greatest ever QB discussions. It's always Montana/Brady/Unitas/Elway/Marino/Favre/Peyton in most discussions. Is it right, probably not but I have always found it odd how most people always put Montana and Brady 1 and 2 based on Rings mainly and never mention Bradshaw.

TB didn't get the respect he deserved during his playing days.  In fact, I remember him being made fun of early on.  Folks thought he was a bit slow on the uptake.  He fooled them all.

1 hour ago, dynasty13 said:

I thought the Broncos left another couple touchdowns on the field, with some missed connections.

33 minutes ago, csmopar said:

So NBC sports out of Boston saying that the League needs to look into making the Bronco's pump oxygen into their stadium to give the visiting teams a chance due to the thinner air......

Funny, sure didn't stop the Colts from beating the Broncos last year in the Divisional round....I knew Pats fans were nutz and full of bull crap excuses but this one takes the cake...

I think in general Pats fans feel like the world is against them because of what happened with SpyGate and DeflateGate. IMO they are sick of people calling them cheaters so any thing their fans or the media can come up with they will talk about it or report it. Like us allegedly Piping in noise, Manning's HGH story, and now this. What's funny is when we got accused of piping in noise it was on a Monday night in 2005 vs the Steelers, Steelers complained and that was that. It wasn't even the year we won the SB, we won it in 2006. Manning's HGH story can never be proven so not even sure why Pats fan want to run with that, that report may be the most bogus stuff ever reported and they are lucky Manning doesn't sue the pants off of who started the story. Last of all Andrew Luck had no problem winning in Denver last season and how the hell can you pump oxygen into an outdoor stadium? That would be a neat trick.  

A few overthrows.

No run game.

So so protection.

Drops. One of which led to 7 for NE, because Hillman didn't have the football IQ TO FALL ON A LIVE FOOTBALL! Manning should never have thrown that, and Hillman screwed up twice on one play. (1: The drop. 2: Not finishing the play by falling on it.)

Manning is in full on game manager mode in a god awful offensive scheme. The only players who show up every week are Daniels and, particularly, Sanders.   Demaryius Targaryen shows up once in a blue moon, but usually he drops half the stuff thrown his way. One game he was like, 1 for 13 targets and the guy gets paid like Megatron.

Does Vernon Davis even exist?

Peyton is doing about as well as any QB could with that play selection and lack of effort/concentration by the whole unit. The overthrows are on him, usually. Sanders seemed to stop short on a route last night but other than that the rest were on Peyton.

Even with Rodgers at QB, the best in the game imo, that offense would put up more points but, as a whole, still be very unimpressive to say the least. They'd be better than bottom of the barrel....but not by much.

43 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Probably the same guy who suggested someone murder Goodell.

http://nypost.com/2015/09/02/boston-sports-host-hire-someone-to-murder-roger-goodell/

They pride themselves on having elite colleges up there like the business school I went to but not many hometown folk get into them...

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think in general Pats fans feel like the world is against them because of what happened with SpyGate and DeflateGate. IMO they are sick of people calling them cheaters so any thing their fans or the media can come up with they will talk about it or report it. Like us allegedly Piping in noise, Manning's HGH story, and now this. What's funny is when we got accused of piping in noise it was on a Monday night in 2005 vs the Steelers, Steelers complained and that was that. It wasn't even the year we won the SB, we won it in 2006. Manning's HGH story can never be proven so not even sure why Pats fan want to run with that, that report may be the most bogus stuff ever reported and they are lucky Manning doesn't sue the pants off of who started the story. Last of all Andrew Luck had no problem winning in Denver last season and how the hell can you pump oxygen into an outdoor stadium? That would be a neat trick.  

To follow my own Post up, the players have oxygen tanks on the sidelines as well and that is just HFA for ya, if the Pats don't lose to the crappy Dolphins the game would've been in a blizzard in Foxboro. I bet nobody in Mass would complain about Peyton playing in the worse weather ever. So it is what it is.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I thought the Broncos left another couple touchdowns on the field, with some missed connections.

Indeed....the miscommunication to Sanders was big...and he missed Norwood I think there in the endzone....but then again Tom left some points out there too....especially that last two point conversion he had Gronk easy. All in all the two HOF qbs looked well....old and average....that said...its kind of interesting...I don't normally get too worked up over the talking heads but the front page of nfl.com page has this shrine looking pick of Tom and how he valiantly fought and almost overcomed the Broncos D. Don't get me wrong the guy was tough as nails yesterday. He didn't leave the game no matter how hard he got hit...and he got hit HARD....no Big Ben dramatics...just a tough footballer....but man the guy throws two pretty crucial picks and looked pretty rattled the whole game....reminiscent of Peyton's SB performance against Seattle and yet I don't remember anyone making him out to be some hero for withstanding it. I suppose Tom has earned that from his legacy of success but it would be nice to see the media be a little more fair..because Peyton has had to fight through his share of painful games too.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To follow my own Post up, the players have oxygen tanks on the sidelines as well and that is just HFA for ya, if the Pats don't lose to the crappy Dolphins the game would've been in a blizzard in Foxboro. I bet nobody in Mass would complain about Peyton playing in the worse weather ever. So it is what it is.

I think there are VERY VERY few people complaining about the oxygen levels in Denver...just because you get a couple crazy fans complaining lets not paint an entire fanbase off this....lest it come back on some of our knuckleheads. I agree with your last point...HFA is HUGE in the playoffs. Tom couldn't audible...he couldn't use his cadence to draw rushers offside or mess them up...it was big and it was NE's own fault...they lost several winnable games at the end of the season not the least some questionable calls from Bill causing one. They got beat fair and square...and while Tom normally wins big games it isn't just Peyton that needs the friendly confines to be in "total control"...Tom likes it too. Denver is a tough place to play...ESPECIALLY when trailing...and credit Peyton and the offense for being productive in the first half...both sides of the ball played well early...and the defense held them late when the offense had no juice. Had NE got off to a better start or Denver offense failed early it could have changed how the game was being played...especially with the FGs at the end. All in all its a feel good story for Peyton and Denver...persaverance paid off.

I've only seen maybe 1 Patriot fan comment on this game. I know we have several on the board....just wondering how they felt about the game management (not kicking fgs..especially the one with 6 mins and 3 tos) and their feelings on all the hits Tom took and how he kept battling. Usually win or lose we get plenty of comments. Just wondering how they saw the game and where they felt they lost it etc. While Tom got beat up pretty bad and had some early turnovers that hurt them..he showed his greatness on that last drive. I heard some people saying NE doesn't have ENOUGH playmakers for him...and yet coming in all we heard was Edelman, Amendola, and Gronk were unstoppable when healthy. Some where saying Tom needs that Randy Moss deep threat. I honestly don't think they do...I'm not saying Tom can't make those deep throws outside the numbers but he lives in the middle of the field and we saw he struggled on those deep throws outside the numbers when his running back had a step all game long. Honestly I think they needed to run the ball...they came out throwing and never gave that OL confidence to play down hill. I think the OL like many teams was a weakness along with some poor play calling by McDaniels. Any perspective from the Pat side? This thread just feels real one sided. Also be nice to see if there was any appreciation for Peyton's play or did they think they let him off the hook on a couple bad coverages. It's always nice to get another perspective other than the biased ones on our side. Thanks!

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I've only seen maybe 1 Patriot fan comment on this game. I know we have several on the board....just wondering how they felt about the game management (not kicking fgs..especially the one with 6 mins and 3 tos) and their feelings on all the hits Tom took and how he kept battling. Usually win or lose we get plenty of comments. Just wondering how they saw the game and where they felt they lost it etc. While Tom got beat up pretty bad and had some early turnovers that hurt them..he showed his greatness on that last drive. I heard some people saying NE doesn't have ENOUGH playmakers for him...and yet coming in all we heard was Edelman, Amendola, and Gronk were unstoppable when healthy. Some where saying Tom needs that Randy Moss deep threat. I honestly don't think they do...I'm not saying Tom can't make those deep throws outside the numbers but he lives in the middle of the field and we saw he struggled on those deep throws outside the numbers when his running back had a step all game long. Honestly I think they needed to run the ball...they came out throwing and never gave that OL confidence to play down hill. I think the OL like many teams was a weakness along with some poor play calling by McDaniels. Any perspective from the Pat side? This thread just feels real one sided. Also be nice to see if there was any appreciation for Peyton's play or did they think they let him off the hook on a couple bad coverages. It's always nice to get another perspective other than the biased ones on our side. Thanks!

They've gone into hiding...ran their mouths all season bout how Manning chokes in the playoffs Yada Yada yada....but they got schooled the hardway and learned that Manning is 4 and 1 now against Brady in championship games....

11 hours ago, csmopar said:

They've gone into hiding...ran their mouths all season bout how Manning chokes in the playoffs Yada Yada yada....but they got schooled the hardway and learned that Manning is 4 and 1 now against Brady in championship games....

The "choker" is 3-1 against the "greatest postseason QB of all time". With three different head coaches on two separate teams in those wins. Manning fam is 5-0 in the last decade (5-2 all time).

40 minutes ago, bababooey said:

The "choker" is 3-1 against the "greatest postseason QB of all time". With three different head coaches on two separate teams in those wins. Manning fam is 5-0 in the last decade (5-2 all time).

3-1 or 4-1?  ESPN said sunday that Peyton was 3-1 in championship games against Brady and that was pre-game...so wouldn't a win make it 4-1 or was ESPN wrong?

22 minutes ago, csmopar said:

3-1 or 4-1?  ESPN said sunday that Peyton was 3-1 in championship games against Brady and that was pre-game...so wouldn't a win make it 4-1 or was ESPN wrong?

He's 3-1 against Brady in Championship games. 

This is Peyton's 4th Superbowl appearance and in '09 he beat the Jets in the AFCCG.

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

12 hours ago, csmopar said:

We aren't allowed to say how we really feel because we will be told we're wrong or that it was a backhanded insult :)  I know you all want us to rush back and say we were wrong about Peyton and you all told us so and he had a great game but let's be honest, if he had a great game then the Broncos would have won by 30. He did enough to win and that should be commended. But let's not give him the AFCCG MVP or anything! ;)

As I said before, Peyton was good in the first quarter, he got those 2 touchdowns in the first 16 minutes and that's all he needed. I give him all the credit in the world for that, but you won't catch us saying that he had a great game because that would be a bit disingenuous. The point is it just doesn't matter if he did or didn't...he did what he had to do and it was enough. The Denver defense was spectacular and forced Brady to make some mistakes that ended up being too big to overcome. He looked uncomfortable, he was hit more times than I'd like to remember, and every throw seemed rushed. With that said, the game was still close and they had a chance to tie it with 12 seconds left but couldn't get it done.

The Broncos will have their hands full with the Panthers, but nothing in this league surprises me anymore and as we all know...the better defense can often lead a team to the trophy.

3 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

We aren't allowed to say how we really feel because we will be told we're wrong or that it was a backhanded insult :)  I know you all want us to rush back and say we were wrong about Peyton and you all told us so and he had a great game but let's be honest, if he had a great game then the Broncos would have won by 30. He did enough to win and that should be commended. But let's not give him the AFCCG MVP or anything! ;)

Yes, let's be honest. It doesn't matter if the Broncos won by 1 or 100. Peyton outplayed Brady in a championship game. Again.

6 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

We aren't allowed to say how we really feel because we will be told we're wrong or that it was a backhanded insult :)  I know you all want us to rush back and say we were wrong about Peyton and you all told us so and he had a great game but let's be honest, if he had a great game then the Broncos would have won by 30. He did enough to win and that should be commended. But let's not give him the AFCCG MVP or anything! ;)

As I said before, Peyton was good in the first quarter, he got those 2 touchdowns in the first 16 minutes and that's all he needed. I give him all the credit in the world for that, but you won't catch us saying that he had a great game because that would be a bit disingenuous. The point is it just doesn't matter if he did or didn't...he did what he had to do and it was enough. The Denver defense was spectacular and forced Brady to make some mistakes that ended up being too big to overcome. He looked uncomfortable, he was hit more times than I'd like to remember, and every throw seemed rushed. With that said, the game was still close and they had a chance to tie it with 12 seconds left but couldn't get it done.

The Broncos will have their hands full with the Panthers, but nothing in this league surprises me anymore and as we all know...the better defense can often lead a team to the trophy.

Peyton played Good not Great. Tom has had many games in the Playoffs like that too where he gets a couple of scores early than manages the game perfect without Turning it over. Then his Defense holds the lead. Von Miller deserves the MVP of the game actually.

40 minutes ago, csmopar said:

ESPN is never wrong so idk, maybe he played in a superbowl that I didn't hear about, could be the case. /s

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Peyton played Good not Great. Tom has had many games in the Playoffs like that too where he gets a couple of scores early than manages the game perfect without Turning it over. Then his Defense holds the lead. Von Miller deserves the MVP of the game actually.

Not that I disagree with the concept...I just had to chuckle at the 'manages the game perfect' comment. 

Broncos 2nd Half Play by Play:

3 and out

7 plays for 34 yards, punt

3 and out

10 plays for 48 yards, field goal

3 and out

3 and out

A win is a win, ill always be the first to say that...but hey let's not exaggerate, eh? ;) This is what I'm saying...you aren't going to get Patriots fans to 'admit' that Peyton proved everyone wrong and had a great game...but he did outplay Brady and it was enough on this day to win.

Just now, dynasty13 said:

Exactly what I just said....

Nah I just wanna point out the hypocrisy that comes with being a Pats fan. If Vanderjagt misses a FG, or Dallas Clark drops a game sealing 3rd down catch, or the Colts D gives up the entire field and a game winning FG to Mark Sanchez in 60 seconds, or Champ Bailey gets toasted on a hail mary, or the entire team is straight up destroyed by Seattle, then it's all Peyton's fault and he's a choker.

If Brady gets outplayed by Peyton in the playoffs which is 75% of the time and loses it's the fault of the O line (as shown by the fact your coach was fired/scapegoated despite the fact BB has drafted 2 OL in the first three rounds in 10 years & traded one for a backup rental TE last year), it's the injuries (despite the fact every weapon was healthy minus a viable pass catching RB and as if no other NFL team gets injured), the kicker (who made 523 straight extra points and whose own team lobbied to make the point harder) or it's the defense (despite the fact Brady is worse than every QB in the NFL when under pressure except for Brees and Rivers).

For once in his career Peyton doesn't have to win the game, he can just manage it and let the Defense do some work, like the Patriots of the early 2000s when the D knew the plays that were coming. Brady didn't have to do much to deserve those so not giving the "choker" credit for beating the "goat" then how can you give your own QB credit for what he did over a decade ago? Choke on that.

2 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

Not that I disagree with the concept...I just had to chuckle at the 'manages the game perfect' comment. 

Broncos 2nd Half Play by Play:

3 and out

7 plays for 34 yards, punt

3 and out

10 plays for 48 yards, field goal

3 and out

3 and out

A win is a win, ill always be the first to say that...but hey let's not exaggerate, eh? ;) This is what I'm saying...you aren't going to get Patriots fans to 'admit' that Peyton proved everyone wrong and had a great game...but he did outplay Brady and it was enough on this day to win.

No Turnovers is where that comment came from. Of course the Offense stalled but Peyton didn't make any huge mistakes once he got the lead early is what I meant and he has been known to throw a bad pick or 2 in the Playoffs.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Also I already said he didn't play Great, I said Good. He actually did prove everyone wrong though because he played well enough to get to the SB by getting wins over the Steelers and Patriots. A lot of people thought Brock should've been playing and that Peyton was completely done.

double post.  

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Also I already said he didn't play Great, I said Good. He actually did prove everyone wrong though because he played well enough to get to the SB by getting wins over the Steelers and Patriots. A lot of people thought Brock should've been playing and that Peyton was completely done.

This is the thing for me...

People can say what they want, twist it anyway they choose,   but for all the "Choker"   "one and done"  "he has to always try to be a hero"   "he's not a team player"   and other smack talk we've been hearing most of the year, once again Peyton did the talking on the field.  

He showed that he was NOT a choker.

He showed that he was NOT one and done.

He showed that he didn't have to try to be a hero and do it all himself.

and

He showed that he's definitely a team player.

And, he's in the Super Bowl once again.  

Most probably for the last time.

I hope he proves the naysayers wrong,  Just.One.More.Time.

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

Nah I just wanna point out the hypocrisy that comes with being a Pats fan. If Vanderjagt misses a FG, or Dallas Clark drops a game sealing 3rd down catch, or the Colts D gives up the entire field and a game winning FG to Mark Sanchez in 60 seconds, or Champ Bailey gets toasted on a hail mary, or the entire team is straight up destroyed by Seattle, then it's all Peyton's fault and he's a choker.

If Brady gets outplayed by Peyton in the playoffs which is 75% of the time and loses it's the fault of the O line (as shown by the fact your coach was fired/scapegoated despite the fact BB has drafted 2 OL in the first three rounds in 10 years & traded one for a backup rental TE last year), it's the injuries (despite the fact every weapon was healthy minus a viable pass catching RB and as if no other NFL team gets injured), the kicker (who made 523 straight extra points and whose own team lobbied to make the point harder) or it's the defense (despite the fact Brady is worse than every QB in the NFL when under pressure except for Brees and Rivers).

For once in his career Peyton doesn't have to win the game, he can just manage it and let the Defense do some work, like the Patriots of the early 2000s when the D knew the plays that were coming. Brady didn't have to do much to deserve those so not giving the "choker" credit for beating the "goat" then how can you give your own QB credit for what he did over a decade ago? Choke on that.

"Like the Patriots of the early 2000s when the D knew the plays that were coming"???

Was that a Spygate reference? Because you know Spygate as all about filming defensive signals...right? Which I guess would have helped out offense??? The offense that you continue to disparage and say it was all the defense that won those games for us?

Regardless, we're all hypocrites. Patriots fans, Colts fans, Broncos *supporters*. We always argue the side that fits our narrative. Yes...ALL of us. That's what being a fan is....especially when dealing with the Peyton/Brady debate. You all loved blaming Brady for *only* scoring 14 points in the Superbowl in 2007 when they had the highest scoring offense of all time. That happened until Peyton *only* scored 8 points in the Superbowl in 2013 when they had the highest scoring offense of all time. Patriots fans blamed Peyton when Vanderjagt missed a field goal and the Colts lost in 2005, Colts fans are blaming Brady when Gostkowski missed an extra point on Sunday. 

This is what we do. It's a cycle based on who has the upper hand at that specific moment. It's always been that way, and always will be.

18 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Quoted so it can be seen again.