Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arizona at Carolina

Synthetic

Anyone want to discuss the NFCCG? 

Everything in the media and every other topic is about the two golden boys in the AFC meeting up for the 100th time. 

This is the NFC matchup I believe we all wanted all year long with the two best teams playing each other. I'm almost positive that the winner of this game will also win the Super Bowl. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far I am 7-1 on my picks as the Chiefs/Pats game was my loss. That's what I get with going with Alex Smith over Tom Brady in Foxboro. Just dumb on my part. I am rolling with both home teams this weekend, doesn't mean I will be right because both games are 50/50 IMO. Carolina really impressed me against the Seahawks, the 1st Half anyway and I think Cam is better than Carson Palmer. Palmer's Defense isn't even better either as both teams have Great Defenses. The Coaches are pretty even too. I like Carolina at home 24-23. That's how close I think it will be.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So far I am 7-1 on my picks as the Chiefs/Pats game was my loss. That's what I get with going with Alex Smith over Tom Brady in Foxboro. Just dumb on my part. I am rolling with both home teams this weekend, doesn't mean I will be right because both games are 50/50 IMO. Carolina really impressed me against the Seahawks, the 1st Half anyway and I think Cam is better than Carson Palmer. Palmer's Defense isn't even better either as both teams have Great Defenses. The Coaches are pretty even too. I like Carolina at home 24-23. That's how close I think it will be.

Panthers can be beaten if they are held in check the first half.  Easier said than done I know.  But their disappearance in the second half of games could cost them against a team who can hold them.

4 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Panthers can be beaten if they are held in check the first half.  Easier said than done I know.  But their disappearance in the second half of games could cost them against a team who can hold them.

Oh I agree. I think both games can go either way. I talk a lot of smack when it comes to Denver because nobody is picking them but both games are iffy.

Arizona. I like Arians & Fitzgerald and think it's time for Palmer to be in the Superbowl, since he  missed last season.  I hope they go all the way to win it no matter who they face.  I just have a soft feeling for that team. Oh and almost forgot Freeney; can't leave him out!

6:40 EST........upper 30s and clear skies (this week's east coast 'storm of the century' is supposed to have passed) over-under at 48

The natural grass field wasn't in good condition last week and probably wont be this week.

Joe Buck, Troy Aikman and Erin Andrews....on FOX

QB Carson Palmer *(342 of 537, 4,671 yards, 35 TDs, 11 INts) was shaky in last week's overtime win over Green Bay but old timer WR Larry Fitzgerald (109 catches, 1,215 yards, 9 TDs) wasn't.  Fitzgerald caught 8 for 176 yards and the game winning TD..

But Carolina also has Michael Floyd (52 catches, 849 yards) and John Brown (65 catches, 1,003 yards)

Coach Bruce Arians likes to throw (562 passes and 452 runs in 16 games) ..Arizona averages 31 points and 23 first downs per game

Carolina QB Cam Newton (296 of 496, 3,837 yards, 35 Tds, 10 INTs) had 6363 yards on 132 carries in the first 16 games,

TE Greg Olson  caught 77 for 1,104 yards and  WR Ted Ginn caught 44 for 739 yards.

Carolina has 24 pass interceptions and East Chicago's Kawaan Short has 11 of the Panthers 42 sacks..

I think you could see Cards CB Patrick Peterson lined up against Greg Olson and Carolina big talkin' CB Josh Norman will chase Fitzgerald some of the time.

I think this is not a close game in the end. Carolina has won every home game so far. they have a good rush against a stand still QB

Logic says Carolina will win and cover

Yes sir, OUM! Logic does dictate the Panthers winning & covering the spread. Carolina at home. Probable MVP of the league leading the charge for them in Cam Newton. A very good HC in RR.

Great game planning all year long v. each opponent. A very, very good defense with LK. The pendulum surely should swing Carolina's way by that reckoning. 

But, the Cardinals passing game looks extremely dangerous with Carson Palmer/Fitz & Co. Also, a very good defense & pass rushers. Freeney et.al. Good running game to boot. 

It's a tougher call than you would like to think. However, seeing the hurt that the Panthers dealt the Seahawks last week was enough for me to absolutely pick them with +3 to Arizona. Hope it's a close game, though. Wouldn't mind at all to see that. We'll see what Arians has up his sleeve.

Carolina - 31

Arizona - 21

11 hours ago, teganslaw said:

Arizona. I like Arians & Fitzgerald and think it's time for Palmer to be in the Superbowl, since he  missed last season.  I hope they go all the way to win it no matter who they face.  I just have a soft feeling for that team. Oh and almost forgot Freeney; can't leave him out!

It does feel like Carolina is getting too much NFL pundit praise to me. I've gotta root for Bruce, Larry, Dwight, & Redding in AZ too TS. 

Plus, since IWF originally made a thread the possibility of the Cardinals in the SB at the beginning of the year, it would be cool to see that come to pass. 

Cardinals were my NFC pick all year but now I don't have a clue. *throws hands up in air* I just hope it's a good game to keep me interested. I think I have to favor the Panthers right now though, beating the snot out of the Seahawks is NO JOKE. They have to avoid a semi letdown though but I am not sure they will have one since they did kinda slack off in the second half vs. Seattle. Sometimes Carolina worries me when they get a big lead (like vs. the Giants too and the Colts game back vs. them).

A lot depends on how Carson Palmer plays. If he gets pick happy like he did against the Packers a bit then the Cards IMO are toast.

It's funny how the AFC teams and the Cards have older QBs and the Panthers have the young guy in his prime.

Just hope both are good games, I expect some serious battles. These are not the top seeds for no reason.......

24 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Not sure if anyone has heard this, as I just was reminded. This will be the 1st time in NFL Playoff history that 2 Heisman Trophy winners will face each other. I found that quite interesting and frankly surprising.

That is an interesting bit of trivia there CR. I heard that fact mentioned somewhere on ESPN or NFL Network, but thanks for the reminder, which I'd forgotten about til you jogged my memory about it. 

38 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Cardinals actually play better offense on the road since they use silent counts all the time. I expect this to be a close game with both teams scoring close to 30 points. It will come down to the last 2 minutes, IMO.

Too close to call. I'm going Cardinals 31 Panthers 28

Silent snap count & being road warriors eh? Yeah, I'll buy that Chad. Nothing against Cam who I like a lot. I just think Carson Palmer is a better QB with more experience which gives AZ the Playoffs edge to me. 

2 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

I see predictions on scores here , however think both Ds are being sold short.

True, both defenses are being under estimated. No argument there Jay, especially when defenses make their presence known in January. I do feel bad that Jared Allen will miss the NFC Championship Game. If the Panthers win on Sunday, I will be happy that Jared gets to play in his first SB. 

I really respect Allen & his charity work for wounded veterans helping modify wheelchair accessible homes for disabled soldiers. He's a great man with an even bigger heart. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

True, both defenses are being under estimated. No argument there Jay, especially when defenses make their presence known in January. I do feel bad that Jared Allen will miss the NFC Championship Game. If the Panthers win on Sunday, I will be happy that Jared gets to play in his first SB. 

I really respect Allen & his charity work for wounded veterans helping modify wheelchair accessible homes for disabled soldiers. He's a great man with an even bigger heart. 

You know how I feel about supporting Vets.

28 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

I see predictions on scores here , however think both Ds are being sold short.

No, I don't think so. Panthers have continued to show vulnerability with every person on their secondary not named Josh Norman. They have gotten away with their front 7 making plays but if you make their secondary a factor, it is not that all worldly like the Seahawks in 2013. If the Cardinals keep Carson upright, they can exploit the middle of the field. 

Panthers' D is not the kind that will dominate you, they will make timely plays from time to time but the strength of their team is their O-line, that has been rock solid giving Cam Newton all the time he needs. The Atlanta loss was a tired team losing to me. The key to winning this game is not Carson Palmer or the Panthers' D, it is the Cardinals breaking Cam Newton's protection and how well they contain Cam plus his running game.

Just now, Jay Kirk said:

You know how I feel about supporting Vets.

Yep, I sure do brother. I'm torn over who to root for since Bruce Arians used to coach in INDY along with Tom Moore. Not to mention Corey Redding & Dwight Freeney on their roster. 

But, I also have a ton of respect for Ron Rivera from the 85 Bears under Coach Ditka too man. I have a ton of admiration for Greg Olson too. That guy could be a coordinator in the NFL someday soon when he's done playing IMO. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

No, I don't think so. Panthers have continued to show vulnerability with every person on their secondary not named Josh Norman. They have gotten away with their front 7 making plays but if you make their secondary a factor, it is not that all worldly like the Seahawks in 2013. If the Cardinals keep Carson upright, they can exploit the middle of the field. 

Panthers' D is not the kind that will dominate you, they will make timely plays from time to time but the strength of their team is their O-line, that has been rock solid giving Cam Newton all the time he needs. The Atlanta loss was a tired team losing to me. The key to winning this game is not Carson Palmer or the Panthers' D, it is the Cardinals breaking Cam Newton's protection and how well they contain Cam.

We will see sunday I see Arians team taking this 24 - 17

3 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Yep, I sure do brother. I'm torn over who to root for since Bruce Arians used to coach in INDY along with Tom Moore. Not to mention Corey Redding & Dwight Freeney on their roster. 

But, I also have a ton of respect for Ron Rivera from the 85 Bears under Coach Ditka too man. I have a ton of admiration for Greg Olson too. That guy could be a coordinator in the NFL someday soon when he's done playing IMO. 

Understood mixed feelings as well as you know im a fan of both teams mentioned. However my biggest loyalty is to the Colts so have to stick with Arians.

4 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

We will see sunday I see Arians team taking this 24 - 17

Yeah, I like a score in the low 20's too with an Arian's NFC Championship trophy Sunday night too. 

Calais Campbell is a beast roaring off the edge. Frostee Rucker is no cream puff either bearing down on a QB either. haha

12 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Understood mixed feelings as well as you know im a fan of both teams mentioned. However my biggest loyalty is to the Colts so have to stick with Arians.

Well said Jay. That's what it boils down to isn't it? If the Colts can't compete for a SB this year, then Bruce is the next best thing to a hometown hero. I agree 100%

The 1 thing I love about Arians is this: He's not timid. He's brash, gutsy, & bold. He wants Carson to sling it deep because that who Bruce is an ariel attack coordinator/HC. 

4 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Well said Jay. That's what it boils down to isn't it? If the Colts can't compete for a SB this year, then Bruce is the next best thing to a hometown hero. I agree 100%

I agree with you, SW1! I'll be rooting for an Arizona v. Denver Super Bowl 50. I've been reading the comments in this thread and it's hard to disagree with anyone. This game earns the "Fickled Fate of the Year Award" as to how it will turn out. So many aspects of both defenses & offenses. I hope it'll be a classic with the Cardinals & Arians coming out on top.

Forge on, my brother! :) 

20 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

I agree with you, SW1! I'll be rooting for an Arizona v. Denver Super Bowl 50. I've been reading the comments in this thread and it's hard to disagree with anyone. This game earns the "Fickled Fate of the Year Award" as to how it will turn out. So many aspects of both defenses & offenses. I hope it'll be a classic with the Cardinals & Arians coming out on top.

Forge on, my brother! :) 

You know what CR? You're exactly right. Why is it assumed the NE will be playing in Santa Clara, CA in February? I with ya bro. A Denver vs AZ SB would be amazing to see & a distinct possibility. Sign me up. 

2 favorite native sons who worked in INDY might test allegiances though & literally break the internet though. What the hades. I'm game. Let's go for it & make it happen CR. 

22 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

If Bruce Arians wins the SB in February, I think a company should make a special hat just to commemorate the occasion.

I couldn't pull this look off but Bruce sure can. 

5424587_orig.jpg

My brother always wears one of those newsboy hat styles

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

You know what CR? You're exactly right. Why is it assumed the NE will be playing in Santa Clara, CA in February? I with ya bro. A Denver vs AZ SB would be amazing to see & a distinct possibility. Sign me up. 

2 favorite native sons who worked in INDY might test allegiances though & literally break the internet though. What the hades. I'm game. Let's go for it & make it happen CR. 

Ditto, my man! :) I've always enjoyed reading your input into anything. That goes for Jay Kirk as well. You guys are good men. It's nice to converse NFL football especially on this forum about our favorite team, the Colts. 

Hope all the Karma that's floating around concerning these two games directs it's arrow into a LOSS for the Patriots & Panthers. We certainly will need every ounce. 

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

If Bruce Arians wins the SB in February, I think a company should make a special hat just to commemorate the occasion.

I couldn't pull this look off but Bruce sure can. 

5424587_orig.jpg

Honestly, he is a slick looking aging man at times. lmao

Very cool dude.

3 hours ago, ColtRider said:

Ditto, my man! :) I've always enjoyed reading your input into anything. That goes for Jay Kirk as well. You guys are good men. It's nice to converse NFL football especially on this forum about our favorite team, the Colts. 

Hope all the Karma that's floating around concerning these two games directs it's arrow into a LOSS for the Patriots & Panthers. We certainly will need every ounce. 

I appreciate that CR. Thanks for your kind words on my behalf. I have a tendency to get longwinded sometimes & I joke around a lot especially in my movies thread. It's nice to know people read my stuff & enjoy my slant on things. 

Yeah, Jay Kirk is a good guy too. Very football savvy & he's a straight shooter. He's one of the first friends I made on the Forum & I like how down to earth he is. Just a great guy. What you see is what you get. No gimmicks. 

There's so many friends on here that I wish I lived close to like a neighbor down the block you am them BTW. Just bright, clever, & well rounded people who flock here frequently. Nice. 

I read ya man. I have tremendous respect for how far Cam Newton has come, but given all the ties Bruce Arians has to INDY; other than Peyton Manning, I'm morally obligated to cheer for those tiny red bird mascots in the 4 corners region man. 

38 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Meh. I think the panthers are going to hold them to less than 20. Cardinals have no mobility/escapibility at qb or a run game. Thats rhe only reason the Seahawks mounted a comeback IMO. 

If Carolina does win this weekend, I will be okay because Ron Rivera does deserve praise for what a fine coach he really is. Plus, Cam Newton is really a great goodwill ambassador for this league. I like seeing black QBs succeed because it reminds me how significant Warren Moon is to this game & the trail he blazed in the NFL. 

Whenever Warren Moon speaks, I literally drop what I'm doing & listen very intensely & quietly. I revere that man. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

If Carolina does win this weekend, I will be okay because Ron Rivera does deserve praise for what a fine coach he really is. Plus, Cam Newton is really a great goodwill ambassador for this league. I like seeing black QBs succeed because it reminds me how significant Warren Moon is to this game & the trail he blazed in the NFL. 

Whenever Warren Moon speaks, I literally drop what I'm doing & listen very intensely & quietly. I revere that man. 

Cam Newton wears #1 because of Warren Moon. When he was drafted, Moon mentored him in practices, and Newton originally wanted to wear #2 (his number at Auburn) which was taken at the time from Jimmy Claussen. Moon talked him into wearing #1, after the practices. Brett Favre also spent time with Newton and spoke highly of him, but it was Moon that influenced him the most. 

I loved Warren Moon too. Outside of Favre, Brees, and Warner, he's up there in my top 5. 

warren_moon.jpg

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Panthers' D is not the kind that will dominate you, they will make timely plays from time to time but the strength of their team is their O-line, that has been rock solid giving Cam Newton all the time he needs. The Atlanta loss was a tired team losing to me. The key to winning this game is not Carson Palmer or the Panthers' D, it is the Cardinals breaking Cam Newton's protection and how well they contain Cam plus his running game.

Carolina's defense lives off turnovers. They can beat you in a shoot out, if you turn the ball over just one time.

Josh Norman is not their only weapon in the secondary. Roman Harper has had his career brought back to life since going to Carolina, when he looked washed up and done in New Orleans, but Kurt Coleman at safety is the real beast in the secondary, and I'd argue he's out played Norman this past year.  

Carolina's defense is really more about the linebackers in coverage. Their linebackers got INT's all year, and they play the coverage system to break down the short pass game, and pass happy stuff. Rivera has been building that team for years to beat Atlanta and New Orleans, since that's the two pass happy teams they have to put up with twice a year. 

I wasn't impressed with Arizona in that Packers game. Palmer's interceptions were just the type of mistakes, you don't make vs Carolina. On that final drive in the 4th when they up 17-13 (before the last field goal) Sam Shields dropped not one, but TWO gimme interceptions, that could have ended that game for good with the Packers. Green Bay should have won that game. 

Given how Arizona let a mediocre Packers team hang in there vs them, I don't really know if I can trust them in this game. Carolina is a dominant team, who's defense will take advantage of turnovers and stop you. The Cardinals could barely move against GB's defense which looked awful most of the year, and now they're playing the defense that led the league in turnovers and has the highest turnover/point differential in the league. 

I think Cam will have a big day and run all over Arizona's defense. They let Lacy have huge runs, and they gave up so many big plays to the Packers, I can see Carolina exploiting all of this. 

I want Arizona, I've been high on them all year because I think the world of Arians, but I don't like this matchup at all for them. If they play like they did vs Green Bay, this could be a blood bath game with Carolina dominating. 

6 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Cam Newton wears #1 because of Warren Moon. When he was drafted, Moon mentored him in practices, and Newton originally wanted to wear #2 (his number at Auburn) which was taken at the time from Jimmy Claussen. Moon talked him into wearing #1, after the practices. Brett Favre also spent time with Newton and spoke highly of him, but it was Moon that influenced him the most. 

I loved Warren Moon too. Outside of Favre, Brees, and Warner, he's up there in my top 5. 

warren_moon.jpg

This is why I admire you as poster here Bogie. You always have fascinating nuggets or kernels of information to share. Maybe it was common knowledge about Newton's ties to Moon & Favre, but I had no idea. Thanks for broadening my horizons like you also do Bogie. 

It's a shame you were never allowed to be a professional columnist since you are so well versed in the history of sports i.e. football & music especially. I'm not exaggerating Bogie. You are 1 gifted writer. 

I thibnk Carolina has to be conservative..which is how I see them most times.

Cam gets into trouble when he tries to do too much..take too much too fast.

..and he has to protect the ball...he tends to hold the ball with one hand in traffic..

...If Carolina doesn't turn the ball over, I don't see Arizona winning

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

I thibnk Carolina has to be conservative..which is how I see them most times.

Cam gets into trouble when he tries to do too much..take too much too fast.

..and he has to protect the ball...he tends to hold the ball with one hand in traffic..

...If Carolina doesn't turn the ball over, I don't see Arizona winning

I don't either. I am going with Cam at home.