Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Would Root For Peyton Even If He Was An Opposing Player

18Manning

If it works out that Peyton has to go to another team, I'll be rooting for him even as our competition. Even as the Colts' compeitior, I would hope he gets more MVPs, wins more Championship games and more Super Bowls even if it means defeating the Colts. I say this now. Maybe I'll feel differently if/when that time comes, but I don't think so. I want the best for him for his balance of time in the NFL. Peyton put Indianapolis on the map as far as football is concerned. He deserves the best of fourtunes in the balance of his NFL career. He is the reason I enjoy football as I do and the reason I'm such a Colts fan. I suppose it could be said I'm a bigger Peyton fan than a Colt fan. In my eyes they are one and the same. As I said earlier, I qualified my statments by saying I'll see how I feel if/when the time comes, but at least for a while I'll be pulling for Peyton.

I'm not saying it will happen, but be prepared to take a lot of heat.

Personally, I also really like Peyton. He has done tons for this organization and I am hoping he can come back and play a few more years and win some more championships. If he were to go to another team, I would wish him all the best. With that said, if he ends up playing the Colts, I will be cheering 100% for the Colts. If you ask me, no single player is bigger than the team. I would be happy if Peyton won another championship, but if he ever plays against the Colts, I will be cheering for the Colts.

18 Manning at least I give you credit for saying what you feel. I was a Colts Fan before Peyton but I still think he has made this team and organization what it is. If that calls me a Peyton Fan then so be it. I will always root for Peyton no matter who he plays for. If he was playing for the Colts I have always rooted for the Colts and would still do so. Would I be mad if he won more championships with another team. No way he deserves all the championships he can get and hope he's in a Colts uniform when and if he gets them. When all is said and done I hope he gets to play and retire from the Colts

18 Manning at least I give you credit for saying what you feel. I was a Colts Fan before Peyton but I still think he has made this team and organization what it is. If that calls me a Peyton Fan then so be it. I will always root for Peyton no matter who he plays for. If he was playing for the Colts I have always rooted for the Colts and would still do so. Would I be mad if he won more championships with another team. No way he deserves all the championships he can get and hope he's in a Colts uniform when and if he gets them. When all is said and done I hope he gets to play and retire from the Colts

Well I tried to edit my post and was not allowed to do so what I wanted to say short and sweet. If we were playing Peyton I would always root for the Colts but I will root for Peyton if he is playing on another team without question unless it's against the Colts. Let's hope we don't have to cross that bridge for a little while anyway. haha

I was a Colts fan back when Johnny U was playing. I have always pulled for the Colts no matter what. If Peyton leaves (and I seriously hope that never happens), I will remain a loyal Colts fan. I will wish the best for Peyton and pull for him wherever he goes, but I can't root against the shoes even for him.

If it works out that Peyton has to go to another team, I'll be rooting for him even as our competition. Even as the Colts' compeitior, I would hope he gets more MVPs, wins more Championship games and more Super Bowls even if it means defeating the Colts. I say this now. Maybe I'll feel differently if/when that time comes, but I don't think so. I want the best for him for his balance of time in the NFL. Peyton put Indianapolis on the map as far as football is concerned. He deserves the best of fourtunes in the balance of his NFL career. He is the reason I enjoy football as I do and the reason I'm such a Colts fan. I suppose it could be said I'm a bigger Peyton fan than a Colt fan. In my eyes they are one and the same. As I said earlier, I qualified my statments by saying I'll see how I feel if/when the time comes, but at least for a while I'll be pulling for Peyton.

This is fine if you're a Manning fan and not a COLTS fan.......but as a Colts fan, if Manning moves on, I'll always hope the Colts do better than his teams and win more Superbowls than he does.

I'll root for him as long as he doesn't play the Colts, but if it comes down to a meaningful game and who I root for, it will always be the Colts.

If he were to end up on an NFC team, would channel 59 start carrying the games he's in or continue to force the #$&(#$ Bears on us?

I certainly hope he stays here, but I've always wondered what it would be like for him to play on a team with a really good defense.

This is fine if you're a Manning fan and not a COLTS fan.......but as a Colts fan, if Manning moves on, I'll always hope the Colts do better than his teams and win more Superbowls than he does.

I'll root for him as long as he doesn't play the Colts, but if it comes down to a meaningful game and who I root for, it will always be the Colts.

I'm a Colts fan and a Manning fan...

I don't have to be one or the other.

I've been a Colts fan for 40+ years and nothing is going to change that, but watching Peyton play against the Colts would be just brutal. About the only similar scenario I can think of is when the Mets dumped my childhood sports hero Tom Seaver - who was so upset about it he cried at his press conference. Darn straight that I continued to root for Seaver regardless of who he was facing. When he faced the Mets I wanted him to humilate the arogant owner and remind him how foolish the trade was. But the Mets were lousy, and there are a 162 games in a season. What would I do if Peyton faced the Colts in a playoff game? Perhaps turn off the TV and find another sport to follow. That would just not be fun to witness. Or perhaps root for Peyton to have a brilliant game, but for the Colts to win anyway.

Fortunately I don't think that Irsay wants to see it either.

I was a Colts fan back when Johnny U was playing. I have always pulled for the Colts no matter what. If Peyton leaves (and I seriously hope that never happens), I will remain a loyal Colts fan. I will wish the best for Peyton and pull for him wherever he goes, but I can't root against the shoes even for him.

Spot on. I am a Colts fan first, and a Peyton fan second. I will remain a Colt fan with or without Peyton. If Peyton goes to another team, I will cheer for him still. But, if its Colts vs Peyton??? haha. Well, I'd have to root for Peyton to do well, but for his new teams defensive to do poorly so we light up the score on them, lol

I'm a Colts fan and a Manning fan...

I don't have to be one or the other.

when you say you want Manning to win Super Bowls even at the expense of the Colts....that really makes you sound like you're more of a Manning fan than a Colts fan..

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

I've been a Colts fan since '65.

I'd still root for Manning, but never against the Colts, and never if him winning could boot the Colts out of the playoffs.

If it ever happens, and I don't think it will, let's hope it's to an NFC team, but not the Bears.

when you say you want Manning to win Super Bowls even at the expense of the Colts....that really makes you sound like you're more of a Manning fan than a Colts fan..

I also qualified my statement by saying I'll see how I feel at the time. I AM A COLTS FAN. We can go back and forth all night about how you might not think I'm a Colts fan based on these comments.

Bottom line is I'm both. Hope I won't have to deal with the Colts and Manning being separate.

Why cant we keep peyton...Why is it he cant come and be a colt next year.... It really gets annoying seeing people say we dont need to bring him back over and over again..

Sorry I think he will be back. And I hope he retires a colt...thats all I would like for Peyton. This era has been nothin but about Peyton. So why not finish this era right and finish it when he retires, Not saying we should continue to have a poor defense or whatever.

But Build around the star of our team instead of ditching our star for someone who hasnt made a professional name for them selves

I'm not saying it will happen, but be prepared to take a lot of heat.

Personally, I also really like Peyton. He has done tons for this organization and I am hoping he can come back and play a few more years and win some more championships. If he were to go to another team, I would wish him all the best. With that said, if he ends up playing the Colts, I will be cheering 100% for the Colts. If you ask me, no single player is bigger than the team. I would be happy if Peyton won another championship, but if he ever plays against the Colts, I will be cheering for the Colts.

Would you be rooting for him if he went to Houston and they beat us out for the division and forced us into a wildcard?

Just by reading the title i know i wouldnt, first and formost im a COLTS fan not some players fan... id probably hate peyton if he went to a team that was beating us all the time.. he would be like a tom brady except he wouldnt be in new england.

Just by reading the title i know i wouldnt, first and formost im a COLTS fan not some players fan... id probably hate peyton if he went to a team that was beating us all the time.. he would be like a tom brady except he wouldnt be in new england.

Half the time you seem to hate him now... So obviously if he was on another team you'd hate him even more.

I've been a Colts fan for 40+ years and nothing is going to change that, but watching Peyton play against the Colts would be just brutal. About the only similar scenario I can think of is when the Mets dumped my childhood sports hero Tom Seaver - who was so upset about it he cried at his press conference. Darn straight that I continued to root for Seaver regardless of who he was facing. When he faced the Mets I wanted him to humilate the arogant owner and remind him how foolish the trade was. But the Mets were lousy, and there are a 162 games in a season. What would I do if Peyton faced the Colts in a playoff game? Perhaps turn off the TV and find another sport to follow. That would just not be fun to witness. Or perhaps root for Peyton to have a brilliant game, but for the Colts to win anyway.

Deep back inside Irsays mind somewhere he probably has thoughts of letting Manning go only for Manning to eliminate the Colts in the playoffs down the road lol. Probably gives him nightmares.

Why cant we keep peyton...Why is it he cant come and be a colt next year.... It really gets annoying seeing people say we dont need to bring him back over and over again..

Sorry I think he will be back. And I hope he retires a colt...thats all I would like for Peyton. This era has been nothin but about Peyton. So why not finish this era right and finish it when he retires, Not saying we should continue to have a poor defense or whatever.

But Build around the star of our team instead of ditching our star for someone who hasnt made a professional name for them selves

The Colts could keep him, but at what cost? I'm only speaking of what I hear on some of the sports shows. What they're saying makes sense if you look at the Colts like a business (as it is). Assuming we draft Luck and he turns out to be as good as expected, it doesn't make sense to keep Peyton and pay all that money. We need the money to bring other parts of the team up to speed. Obviously, I would love to see Peyton retire as a Colt. I don't know that it makes sense though.

i was a colts fan since they mayflowered into town. to me a lot of it would depend on how it would happen-- lets say he wasnt ready when the 28 mill is due and its bad enough to let him go.....then he ends up healed by training camp and makes a comeback. hard to fault mgt for letting him go like that.

but, suppose it was an ugly divorce. what then?? if we dumped him like a sack of taters, i think the first home game he gets a pass.

id root for him as payback for the jerky way we let him go.

especially if the colts were rebuilding, and he went to a powerhouse, it would be easy to root for your old fave QB while your new QB and the colts get up to speed. i mean, if the colts want to have a dominant team, we would have to suck for lucks weapons too. houston has been collecting early round talent for quite a while, thats what it takes to really have a chance to be great long term...

Hey I'll come out of the metaphorical closet as well. If Peyton gets traded I'll be rooting for his new team even if he's playing the Colts. I got a lot more into football around the time he came into the league, and I'd consider myself a Peyton first fan. I feel a greater emotional bond, if that's the right terminology, with Peyton Manning than I do with a horseshoe logo.

Assuming Colts will reach playoffs without Peyton in the next few yrs to face him? Hmmm

Assuming Colts will reach playoffs without Peyton in the next few yrs to face him? Hmmm

The ONLY reason for releasing or trading a healthy Manning would be the belief that Luck is the real deal. In that scenario, yeah, they had better make the playoffs. Personally I'd obviously MUCH prefer that they just keep Manning and avoid the entire thing.

The Colts could keep him, but at what cost? I'm only speaking of what I hear on some of the sports shows. What they're saying makes sense if you look at the Colts like a business (as it is). Assuming we draft Luck and he turns out to be as good as expected, it doesn't make sense to keep Peyton and pay all that money. We need the money to bring other parts of the team up to speed. Obviously, I would love to see Peyton retire as a Colt. I don't know that it makes sense though.

I would like to keep Peyton on as a QB coach or OC and eventually HC, if he can't be our QB anymore!

I watched my first football game in 1963 at the age of 9. I found myself engrossed and wanted the Browns(don't remember who they were playing) to win. My dad was an Otto Grahm fan. My uncle was a Green Bay fan. I liked the quarterbacks and I picked the Colts as my team because of Johnny Unitas. I became a die hard Colts fan. I'm not saying that I'm right, but I'll tell you how I felt over the past 40 years. The worst day was when we lost Rosenbloom and got Irsay(Bob) for an owner. He took what had been a top franchise, traded away it's legendary QB and seemed to write the book over the next 15 years on how to destroy a franchise. Watching Unitas age through the 60's and Earl Morral take over in the '68/'69 year to go almost undefeated and then lose to the Jets in a Super Bowl was a low. However, the team was still solid and Unitas was healed near the end of the season. In the times before FA they were still a Super Bowl contender. But, then Bob Irsay worked his magic traded Unitas to the Chargers and dealt away the coaching staff and any other talent to "rebuild". It just seemed insane. I went to Cincinnati when the Chargers came to play just so I could see Johnny one last time. It was sad. It wasn't the same. He had lost his fire and drive. He was on a poor team and it really wanted to make me cry. I sucked it up and believed that Irsay would at least get the team rebuilt in the next few years. Finally, with Ted Marchibroda's first run and the Bert Jones years it seemed like we might make it back. But we still lacked all the pieces that had been in place before. I remember in the seems like late 70's after Bert Jones the Colts made it into the playoffs or fell just short (memory isn't what it used to be) as I watched what was to become the last game of that season it was obvious they just didn't have an adequate QB. I remember thinking as I turned of the TV that someday we would find that Johnny Unitas type special control of the game QB that would take us back to the super bowl. When they came to Inpls no one was more excited than me. I didn't get picked for seats in the lotterey but my Aunt did and I was able to get her tickets on the front row of the endzone. Irsay proved that he could make it even worse. I remember standing in the hall under the dome watching the monitor and thinking how these Colts teams didn't even look like a good college team. They didn't. I know that many Indpls fans remember the same thing. From '83 to the early 90's all Irsay did was moves that could be marketed to sell tickets and not serious efforts to build a super bowl contender. It wasn't just bad, it was painful. I'm thankful to Bob Irsay for one thing though. Actually two things. First he taught me that as a fan I shouldn't get to involved. AFter all I just watched the games. It wasn't like my career or life depended on it. It gave me perspective on how to be a fan. Don't let it rule my life. The second thing I'm thankful to him for is turning the team over to his son. I prayed that the fruit of the tree would be different. Every year in those lean times I would watch the college ranks to see whom might fill that QB position and could the Colt's get him. I thought Schlichter might be the one. I really liked that guy out of Illinois named Trudeau and I remember a frat brother in college telling me about this eighth grader that would become the QB's of all QB's and he was from Indy, named Jeff. Having been an Archie Manning fan when he came out of 'Ole Miss to go to the expansion Saints(reminded me of Tarkenton) I took note of his son when he didn't go to 'Ole Miss but chose Tennessee. (odd) Watching the younger Manning play didn't remind me of his dad like I expected, but there was actually some resemblance to ...Unitas. After we went to the playoffs with Harbaugh(yea) in I think '95/'96 I figured we wouldn't get a chance to draft Peyton then following that season with a 3-13 and getting the #1 pick was like a dream come true. To me there was never a question between Leaf or Manning and It's hard for me to imagine that anyone that watched them play would think otherwise. Or I was just too stupid and filled with fantasy to know any better. But the last 12/13 years speak for themselves. I say again. A healthy Peyton Manning can play at least another 5 years if he wants to put in the work. I believe that with an adequate defense and running game(it's a team game folks ask Marino) a proven QB like PM can win at least 2 super bowls in that time. Again I may just be too stupid to know any better. But if a healthy PM is such a bad idea to keep, then why do the talking heads drool over where he should play because the Colts should get rid of him? Sure PM will leave the game someday. That day may be here. The only person that really knows is PM. He seems so mature that I truly believe that if he doesn't feel like he can play he'll retire. I'll applaud that and hang his jersey in my favorite Broadripple hangout the Alley Cat and move on. But, if the Colt's trade him and he's healthy, I think it's time for me to close this episode of my life as a football fan. I can't root for a team that is so close and says it's got to start over. I will gladly open my seats to others that are better than me. I went to the first Pacers game in 1967 and I'm still committed to rooting them to an NBA championship. This past year has been very disturbing. I'll be on the edge of my seat until March. The Colts must make their decisions and I must make mine. I rally don't expect anyone to read this wordy puke diatribe that I write, but I thankyou for the opportunity to get it out. I certainly feel better.

I watched my first football game in 1963 at the age of 9.

But, if the Colt's trade him and he's healthy, I think it's time for me to close this episode of my life as a football fan. I can't root for a team that is so close and says it's got to start over. I will gladly open my seats to others that are better than me. I went to the first Pacers game in 1967 and I'm still committed to rooting them to an NBA championship. This past year has been very disturbing. I'll be on the edge of my seat until March. The Colts must make their decisions and I must make mine. I rally don't expect anyone to read this wordy puke diatribe that I write, but I thankyou for the opportunity to get it out. I certainly feel better.

You should consider making this a blog entry. I enjoyed it, and was with you all the way until you referred to moving on at the end. I have a feeling that you would not. Then again, I have a feeling that Peyton isn't going anywhere so it will be a moot point. And I was happy to read the whole thing (unlike many of the actual blog entries). Interesting perspective on some things that I lived through as well (a few years younger than you). But the team didn't move to my town unfortunately.

That's eerily similar to me. I was at my dad's coworkers house over Christmas in 70 and the Colts were on TV. I was in Corvallis Oregon and I saw Johnny throwing the ball. I fell in love with the shoe right then and there. No one in my family at that time cared about football in the least. I followed the team in obscurity (there was basically no information about my team other than the win loss column on Mondays in Oregon).

My favorite players in BB growing up were Seaver, Dave Concepcion, and Johnny Bench.

As to the topic, It all about the shoe...period. If Peyton ever pulled a Brett Favre (no...its never going to happen), and messed with the team, on again...off again, and then went to division rival....he would go to my black list forever. Thank goodness he is a stand up guy and so is our owner, so that is not going to happen. No single player, in any sport, has personally brought me more joy in my 40+ years as a fan than Peyton Manning. But if he is wearing another helmet, I want my Colts to win, every time.

That's eerily similar to me. I was at my dad's coworkers house over Christmas in 70 and the Colts were on TV. I was in Corvallis Oregon and I saw Johnny throwing the ball. I fell in love with the shoe right then and there. No one in my family at that time cared about football in the least. I followed the team in obscurity (there was basically no information about my team other than the win loss column on Mondays in Oregon).

My favorite players in BB growing up were Seaver, Dave Concepcion, and Johnny Bench.

As to the topic, It all about the shoe...period. If Peyton ever pulled a Brett Favre (no...its never going to happen), and messed with the team, on again...off again, and then went to division rival....he would go to my black list forever. Thank goodness he is a stand up guy and so is our owner, so that is not going to happen. No single player, in any sport, has personally brought me more joy in my 40+ years as a fan than Peyton Manning. But if he is wearing another helmet, I want my Colts to win, every time.

Probably around the same age. I fell in love with them 2-3 years before that although I'm really not sure why. I have vague recollections of my father talking about "Johnny U", but he wasn't much of a sports fan and we didn't live near Baltimore. I'm from NJ - which is a lot closer in miles but just as far in terms of information. There was NOTHING out there except for perhaps Sports Illustrated or the occasional NY Times article. The colors got me as much as anything, which is ironic because we didn't even have a color tv.

Conception and Bench? Reds fan? If you were a fan of Seaver before the trade, it must have been odd having him end up on the same team with the others guys. I wasn't a Reds fan, but there has never been an offense that I admired more than the Big Red Machine.

Change of subject. I could root for another team right now and still be a true Colts fan. Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos. Of course we can't root for the playoffs because the Colts team is at home watching them. BUT....all of our arch rivals are playing the Broncos throughout the remainder of the playoffs. They have taken out the Steelers already, did any Colts fan cry over their loss? Don't think so. Now, they can go to Gilette and take out the Patriots?! You know who I'm rooting for. Then, if they make it to the Championship game, they would play either the Ravens or the Texans; both of whom we would love to see lose to the Broncos and make it to the Superbowl. My hope would be a Broncos Saints Superbowl. Broncos win to avenge all of the Colts rivalries and grudge matches and set the stage for a storied year if Colts vs Broncos for next years Championship game.

Also, Jim Irsay giving all the glory to God after our SB win over the Bears. Lots of similarities between the organizations, making me a band wagon fan of the Broncos.....at least for this year.

I

Change of subject. I could root for another team right now and still be a true Colts fan. Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos. Of course we can't root for the playoffs because the Colts team is at home watching them. BUT....all of our arch rivals are playing the Broncos throughout the remainder of the playoffs. They have taken out the Steelers already, did any Colts fan cry over their loss? Don't think so. Now, they can go to Gilette and take out the Patriots?! You know who I'm rooting for. Then, if they make it to the Championship game, they would play either the Ravens or the Texans; both of whom we would love to see lose to the Broncos and make it to the Superbowl. My hope would be a Broncos Saints Superbowl. Broncos win to avenge all of the Colts rivalries and grudge matches and set the stage for a storied year if Colts vs Broncos for next years Championship game.

Also, Jim Irsay giving all the glory to God after our SB win over the Bears. Lots of similarities between the organizations, making me a band wagon fan of the Broncos.....at least for this year.

Intersting post. Thanks. Unfortunately I believe the Tale of Tebow stops in Foxboro'. I just cannot see BB being beaten by the Broncos. But we all live in hope.....

Half the time you seem to hate him now... So obviously if he was on another team you'd hate him even more.

Hate peyton? why these are some strong accusations.. if i didnt know any better those sound like fighting words.. i love peyton i just dont worship him like some ppl do, give the colts a couple more superbowl rings and then i probably would.

JS

I

Intersting post. Thanks. Unfortunately I believe the Tale of Tebow stops in Foxboro'. I just cannot see BB being beaten by the Broncos. But we all live in hope.....

If Tebow manages to beat the pats ill start calling him "Gabriel" Tebow