Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting notes -- Florida State CB, Jalen Ramsey

Junior CB for Florida State who has started every game for the last three years. First true freshman to start for FSU since Deion Sanders. Many people think he's the best DB in the draft this year.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jalen-ramsey-1.html

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/jalen-ramsey

Size: He's listed at 6'1", around 200 pounds. Long arms, well proportioned frame, muscular. 5/5

Athleticism: Good long speed, runs step by step with most receivers down the boundary, good makeup speed. Explosive out of his breaks and long strides. Shows leaping ability at game speed. Good initial burst and closing speed. Incredible range. He's fast, and has sufficient quickness, but not elite quickness. Projecting his Combine numbers for fun: 4.48 second forty, 1.6 ten yard split, 36" vertical, 115" broad jump, 6.9 second three cone, 4.3 second 20 yard shuttle, 14 reps bench. 9/10

Fluidity: Flexible athlete with good bend and decent change of direction. Hips are fluid, but the defense calls on him to play the boundary, so his hip flip is deliberate and predetermined. When he has to mirror a receiver, he shows some tightness and gets a little too high. He strides well which allows him to make up for false steps. As a blitzer he can dip and bend around the corner. He can plant and break to tackle in the open field. Shows good agility to get past screen blockers. 7/10

Physicality: Jams well, using long arms to redirect receivers off the line and down the field. Forces receivers to the boundary and sometimes out of bounds, taking his man out of the play. Uses his big frame to lean and block out down the field. Plays physical without being grabby. Gets off of blocks, especially on screen plays. Tackles well, bringing full force with him, breaking down well in space (is prone to come in high and miss). Fights to the end of the play even on runs away. Played a lot of safety and inside corner, to support the run and to blitz the QB. 9/10

Technical ability: Can be taking advantage of with initial quickness and moves off the line, which is why he jams in press. Uses hands and feet in concert with one another, staying between the QB and the receiver; good jams to the inside and outside with either arm. Prone to overplay the deep option, leaving him susceptible to outside fades, which is how he's beat most often (concerning for his pro prospects). His other method is to stay on the backside of receivers and use his makeup speed to track the ball in the air. Plays both sides of the field and lines up inside and outside. Good awareness and breaks in off man. Susceptible to good route running due to aggressiveness. Will allow his man to separate on crossing routes. 7/10

Run game/tackling: Already touched on, but physical in the run game, gets off blocks, explodes through contact. Inconsistent technique, comes in high rather than breaking down (technique, not ability). Closes well. 4/5

Ball skills: Prone to lose the ball in the air, inconsistent hands. Can swat passes away when breaking or coming across a receiver's body, but doesn't contest at the high point. Anticipation is decent, ball awareness not so much. Times his leap well when rushing to swat passes away. 2/5

Consistency: Has some ups and downs due to varied techniques. He typically mirrors his man well, but gets beat on timing routes. Doesn't typically lose at the line because he typically jams. Doesn't get beat deep. 3/5

Overall: 47/60, 78%, high first rounder

Scheme fit: No brainer, can play in the Colts scheme, and can line up as a corner, nickel, strong safety and free safety; ideal fit in Seattle's press zone (or Atlanta's, or Jacksonville's); will remind many of Richard Sherman, better than Trae Waynes (#11 last year), more like Marcus Peters without the off field issues

Gets beat off the line before he can get his hands on the receiver: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258251&gif=WindingLastingAchillestang

Puts his man out of bounds within five yards: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258251&gif=SarcasticMadeupFennecfox

Destroys a screen: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258251&gif=FarawayOffbeatAlligatorsnappingturtle

Sticks with his man down the field: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258701&gif=FrigidForcefulAfricangroundhornbill

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Some of what I've read on Ramsey is that it's not clear to some scouts whether Ramsey is a corner,  or a safety?

Your thoughts?

Depends on the scheme and patience of the coaching staff. A zone team would play him at corner. A team like ours might want him to play strong safety. I think he can play either, but he'll give up catches on the outside.

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

Depends on the scheme and patience of the coaching staff. A zone team would play him at corner. A team like ours might want him to play strong safety. I think he can play either, but he'll give up catches on the outside.

Interesting. I see a Safety. I know he can play corner and I think he can play corner very well, but I think his highest potential is Safety.  I think he can cover field at a very high level and his consistency issues disappear when he is always facing the QB and not asked to change and flip.  Instead of asking him to cover off man I think his better fit is more center fielder athleticism where he can anticipate and accelerate.  He can play both the 3rd Safety (ILB) role and/or ranged FS.  His ball skills may lack but if his eyes are always facing down I think he makes more plays than what he would if he is asked to play corner.

I see him as a 10-25 slotted pick as a Safety for most teams.  They could take him as a corner as well where I think he will be great but he could really be an enforcer at Safety. 

13 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Interesting. I see a Safety. I know he can play corner and I think he can play corner very well, but I think his highest potential is Safety.  I think he can cover field at a very high level and his consistency issues disappear when he is always facing the QB and not asked to change and flip.  Instead of asking him to cover off man I think his better fit is more center fielder athleticism where he can anticipate and accelerate.  He can play both the 3rd Safety (ILB) role and/or ranged FS.  His ball skills may lack but if his eyes are always facing down I think he makes more plays than what he would if he is asked to play corner.

I see him as a 10-25 slotted pick as a Safety for most teams.  They could take him as a corner as well where I think he will be great but he could really be an enforcer at Safety. 

That's fair. In the Colts scheme, I'd play him in multiple positions.