Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pittsburgh (+7) @ Denver (1-17-16)

oldunclemark

4:40 p.m. EST    Jim Nantz, Phil Simms and Tracy Wolfson on CBS

Upper 30s or low 40s and sunny.....over-under at 39.5

Big Ben Rothlisberger (319 of 469, 3,938 yards, 221 TDFs, 16 INTs) is questionable (shoulder) and he will not have top WR Antonio Brown (136 catches, 1,834 yards, 10 TDs) - concussion or RB DeAngelo Williams (200 rushes, 907 yards) knee injury..

Ben threw for 380 yards(3 Tds, 2 INTs)  2 weeks ago against Denver..bt that was before Vontez Burfict stomped him last week in Cincinnatti

"Marvelous" Martevius Bryant (50 catches, 765 yards) is big time. Look for ex-Colt Darius Heyward-Bey (21 catches, 314 yards) because they'll need him.

Steelers have 43 QB sacks and 17 pass interceptions..they allow only 91 yards rushing per game..

The 'Sherrif' rides again as Peyton Manning (198 of 331, 2,249 yards, 9 Tds)  starts at QB.

Manning has been sacked less (16 times) than he has been intercepted (17 times) but he'll have WR Demariyus Thomas (105 catches, 1,304 yards  6TDs) and Emmanuel Sanders (76 catches, 1,135 yards)

RBs Ronnie Hillman (207 yards, 863 yards) and CJ Anderson (152 carries, 720 yards) have both had 2 weeks off although Hillman has fumbled in each of the Broncos last 2 games. Denver has 52 QB sacks, No,.1 in the NFL,. Broncos had the No,.1 defense overall during the regular season allowing just 4.6 yards per play.

DE/OLB DeMarcus Ware (knee) and CB Chris Harris (shoulder) are probable 

This spread will go up if Ben Rothlisberger doesn't play. I'd grab it at '7' because Denver figures to play well here.

Peyton is healthy and so are his receivers..weather is good.....Pitt is busted up..

Ben will play and he'll probably go deep early to see if he still can...but I look for Peyton to play well...and that means d

Denver wins and covers '7'...I'd take the 'over' too...Both QBs have lots of interceptions.  But if Pittsbugrh falls behind early, Denver will cover 10 to 141

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this will be closer than people expect if Ben plays. In fact, given Denver's history of egg laying in the playoffs, Gary Kubiak's less than stellar playoff coach career (2 playoff wins, both against Andy Dalton led Bengals teams), and Manning's regression in to old age, I give the Steelers an even chance of winning. Peyton will also basically be going in to this playoff game completely cold, having barely played in months. Historically, we on this board all know how that works out. Don't be shocked if a poor offensive showing and a scrappy Steelers offense combine for an upset.

35 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

I think this will be closer than people expect if Ben plays. In fact, given Denver's history of egg laying in the playoffs, Gary Kubiak's less than stellar playoff coach career (2 playoff wins, both against Andy Dalton led Bengals teams), and Manning's regression in to old age, I give the Steelers an even chance of winning. Peyton will also basically be going in to this playoff game completely cold, having barely played in months. Historically, we on this board all know how that works out. Don't be shocked if a poor offensive showing and a scrappy Steelers offense combine for an upset.

I would be shocked......

I meant to say 10-14 points but many are assuming that Peyton will not play well and he did do very well against GB and Indy coming off a bye week. 

..this year is all that matters....past years really don't figure..Denver beat Minnesota, Cincy, NE and GB at home this year. Hard to see them losing at home to a handcuffed Pitt roster

The outcome of this game score wise will obviously depend on how healthy Ben is. So predicting a score is tough to do. I will show the Steelers some respect here and just call it 27-20 Broncos. Steelers are pretty tough when it comes to Playoff play under Ben and Tomlin so I think they keep it within 7 points. If Ben starts but leaves early, the game will get ugly though. Peyton has had plenty of time to rest and looked decent against the Chargers so I think he will be fine. The Broncos Defense shouldn't give up more than 20 points. If Brown was playing this game would be a little scary I admit despite the trash talking I have been doing but without him, the Steelers are going to have trouble scoring IMO. 27-20 Broncos get it done!

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The outcome of this game score wise will obviously depend on how healthy Ben is. So predicting a score is tough to do. I will show the Steelers some respect here and just call it 27-20 Broncos. Steelers are pretty tough when it comes to Playoff play under Ben and Tomlin so I think they keep it within 7 points. If Ben starts but leaves early, the game will get ugly though. Peyton has had plenty of time to rest and looked decent against the Chargers so I think he will be fine. The Broncos Defense shouldn't give up more than 20 points. 

That's the other side of this game. Denver was embarrassed at Pittsburgh with 27 points in the second half and now, at full strength (DeMarcus Ware apparently will play) they get a second shot.

Also, Pitt played at a fast pace in that second half and wore down the Broncos, who went scoreless after the half. That's unlikely in Denver with the Broncos having 2 weeks off and Pitt being beat up. Ben cant run away from the rush and the Steelers didn't run the ball for 50 yards the last time the two teams played.

Denver by 10-to-14

Sammie Coats and Wheaton will need to come up huge if Pitt wins.  I don't think they do and Manning comes out flat but wins anyways.  Manning needed more time to get in rhythm I don't think he got it.  

If Manning comes out flat and wins whomever plays him on the AFC champ game better watch out.  I expect a lame duck 1st quarter and then the Manning that broke records shows up and puts 35 easy in 3 quarters.

10 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

They're saying Peyton's career is over if Denver loses today....

Hadnt thought about it exactly like that .....

.......all road teams won last week..al home teams this week so far..

...the Sherriff rides again

Nah he's done, should have been done last year. Father time hath claimed his career, and if he tries to play again next year, it will just be embarrassing for him. It should be Ossweiler starting this game anyways if we're all honest with ourselves.

9 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Nah he's done, should have been done last year. Father time hath claimed his career, and if he tries to play again next year, it will just be embarrassing for him. It should be Ossweiler starting this game anyways if we're all honest with ourselves.

Osweiler is the backup and injured

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Osweiler is the backup.

He was the starter for the last 2 months, and more success in the Kubiak offense. Manning starting this game has Elway and his meddling all over it.

Edit: Just read about the injury, probably has more to do with this than anything. Really hurts the Broncos.

Just now, SkyBane said:

He was the starter for the last 2 months, and more success in the Kubiak offense. Manning starting this game has Elway and his meddling all over it.

Osweiler is also injured.     If Peyton is healthy he should be the starter.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Osweiler is also injured.     If Peyton is healthy he should be the starter.

I saw, and edited accordingly. 

Disagree though. Healthy Osweiler > Healthy Manning in a Kubiak offense at this point in their careers.

1 minute ago, SkyBane said:

I saw, and edited accordingly. 

Disagree though. Healthy Osweiler > Healthy Manning in a Kubiak offense at this point in their careers.

Osweiler was not good in the chargers game. I'm not sure when he got injured though

Broncos will try and run the ball I imagine, similar to when Peyton came in 

Pit will try and go up the gut and get to peyton

OL may have trouble protecting and running as not 1 OG is healthy,as they have been playing Vasquez at RG all year even being banged up and platooning Mathis with a healthy Garcia  but Garcia was pulled from practice on Thursday as hurt his groin , did fully practice Friday

If Peyton cant threat a deep ball Pit can play close on receivers short and jump throws and be up near the line to stop the run

Nice human interest side note

DT will play great or have dropsies as mother for first time ever will get to be there in person to see him play

she was released from Jail earlier this year, 1st allowed to leave  halfway house this week DT admits being anxious but cant wait for her to watch him, He has to maintain focus however on the game, on a side not his mother also tyhis week got to see his sister play college basketball i think it was and her team won and she was high scorer but admitted she was nervous the entire game knowing mom's was watching & routing for her

11 minutes ago, bayone said:

Broncos will try and run the ball I imagine, similar to when Peyton came in 

Pit will try and go up the gut and get to peyton

OL may have trouble protecting and running as not 1 OG is healthy,as they have been playing Vasquez at RG all year even being banged up and platooning Mathis with a healthy Garcia  but Garcia was pulled from practice on Thursday as hurt his groin , did fully practice Friday

If Peyton cant threat a deep ball Pit can play close on receivers short and jump throws and be up near the line to stop the run

Nice human interest side note

DT will play great or have dropsies as mother for first time ever will get to be there in person to see him play

she was released from Jail earlier this year, 1st allowed to leave  halfway house this week DT admits being anxious but cant wait for her to watch him, He has to maintain focus however on the game, on a side not his mother also tyhis week got to see his sister play college basketball i think it was and her team won and she was high scorer but admitted she was nervous the entire game knowing mom's was watching & routing for her

Good to see you posting again Barry.  Hope all is well

50 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Good to see you posting again Barry.  Hope all is well

Cant complain about anything thanks

Wonder if this means anything ??? 

Peyton Manning is throwing in warm-ups. (He never throws in warm-ups anymore )

Mike Klis ✔ @MikeKlis
Peyton Manning out throwing early to his pet receiver Jordan Taylor. Manning hasn't come out for early throwing in 3 years #9News #9Sports
2:42 PM - 17 Jan 2016

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/1/17/10783110/peyton-manning-is-throwing-in-warm-ups-he-never-throws-in-warm-ups

From the short video he looks like only player out there

Weird, Broncos only suiting up 2 RBs, Juan Thompson  inactive yet often came in to give others rest and if injury occurrs