Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting notes -- Ohio State OT, Taylor Decker

Kiper just mocked him to us, so I figured I'd watch. He played RT in 2013 when Mewhort was at LT, then moved to LT the past two years. Could theoretically play RT for us. And I kind of like Decker's go-get-it attitude on and off the field.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=122692&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/taylor-decker/

Size: Listed at 6'7", 315 pounds, prototypical size and length for an NFL tackle. Great frame, long arms, looks like the best LTs in the league. 5/5

Athleticism / mobility: No problems getting around. He moves well laterally, has range and ability to switch directions smoothly. He can pull with reasonable effectiveness, but it's not graceful. Gets to the second level with ease. Looks smooth in his pass block sets, and moves forward in run blocking without laboring. If he gets beat by quicker rushers, which is difficult because of his long arms, he'll struggle to get back in the play; this also limits his ability to seal defenders on run plays at the second level. Mirrors edge rushers well. Doesn't do a good job of cut blocking, which limits his range some. Good bend and flexibility, not stiff (ie, Mewhort), but not a gymnast either. 7/10

Technique: Fundamentally sound, and much improved from 2014 to 2015. Quick out of his stance in both phases, stays in balance, doesn't lean too far over his feet, stays light on his feet to handle changes, very few false steps, and even when he takes a false step he has the size and strength to make up for it. Hand placement is usually great, but he's prone to keep his hands too low, which leads to rushers getting into him and pushing him back, or getting his hands too far outside, resulting in holding. Great hand punch in both phases, which I love, and it leads to him setting a firm edge in the passing game. Also resets well with feet and hands, mostly because he stays square balanced. Goes from doubles to next man very well, works well with his linemates to handle switches and stunts. Once he engages, he pretty much locks his man down. 9/10

Physicality: Strong and powerful, basically a people mover. Jars his man with his hand punch. Has good upper body strength to beat his man even when he's unbalanced or out of position, sometimes throwing his man out of position. Doesn't exactly wipe his man out when pulling or on the move, more typically engages and then overpowers, sometimes wrestling. Finishes well. Can handle any one on one matchup from a power/strength standpoint, and whenever he's in a double team, it's a win. 8/10

Pass blocking: Hardly ever loses once engaged. Takes the appropriate drop almost every time, has a sufficiently quick initial step, smooth kickslide, mirrors well. His hands are a big key, because he uses them to push his man up the field while keeping him away from the passer. His height makes him susceptible to dip/rip moves from pass rushers, which is probably why he keeps his hands low. Doesn't give up when he gets beat by speed, and doesn't panic; with his length he can still influence the path of the rush and give his QB a chance. Steps out in space to handle blitzers and wide rushers well; sometimes gets overwhelmed when he has to choose between the inside and outside guy. 4/5

Run blocking: Handles his man well, but height means he doesn't get under his man and blow him back straight up. Doesn't crush his man in pulling situations, but does engage and typically win. Not a great cut blocker. Gets out in front of screens well. Double teams well and then gets to the second level well. Seals sufficiently but not as consistent or effective as I'd like. Plays to the whistle. Not a pancake blocker. Stays in control. 3.5/5

Vision/awareness: Didn't see any procedural penalties. Usually identifies the right guy to block, doesn't let rushers run past him unrecognized (happened once in the games I watched). Seems to identify pass rush moves right away. Protections aren't complicated, but LT is the place where you'd see deficiencies show up, and I didn't really see any. 4/5

Versatility: Tackle only, but can play both sides. Prototypical LT prospect, IMO. No problem playing RT. Has traits that fit MBS and ZBS without a problem, handling power and speed equally well. Too tall and plays too high to play inside. 3.5/5

Overall: 44/55, 80%, high first rounder

Scheme fit: Can play any blocking scheme, and for any offense, whether run heavy, pass heavy, screen heavy, spread, whatever. 

Gifs:

2014, straight jacket treatment, with a nice finish: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=256710&gif=FriendlyWigglyAlaskanmalamute 

2014, handles a spin move: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=256710&gif=SpeedySoulfulDungenesscrab

2015, blocks no one on a blitz: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=259660&gif=JampackedDecentBluet

2015, disciplined to not overset: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=257673&gif=LikelyElegantBasilisk

I think he's just as good as Laremy Tunsil right now, with better size and better hand usage. Tunsil probably has more upside and is much better in space and on the move. I view this as a toss up, but Tunsil's movement ability is appealing.

Cool. I watched a game or two of his and felt he looked pretty strong as well. 

I remember Decker getting schooled by Khalil Mack 2 years ago, but I do think he's improved. 

This year's tackle class is much stronger than last year's imo (when the top tackle was really a guard). I think there are 5 of 6 guys who have a shot at going in the first round. 

Kiper's mock made me mad. He seemed to insinuate in the portion about Indy that we need a LT as if we hadn't just given a contract to AC. 

That being said, after reading your write-up on Decker, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to grab a bookend guy at RT, as long as we address Center as well. I won't rant and rave if we go into the season with Thornton and Reitz battling for the starting RG position, tbh. 

14 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Kiper's mock made me mad. He seemed to insinuate in the portion about Indy that we need a LT as if we hadn't just given a contract to AC. 

That being said, after reading your write-up on Decker, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to grab a bookend guy at RT, as long as we address Center as well. I won't rant and rave if we go into the season with Thornton and Reitz battling for the starting RG position, tbh. 

Why would anything Kiper did make you mad? You may not agree with him but getting mad?

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why would anything Kiper did make you mad? You may not agree with him but getting mad?

Maybe I worded that a little strongly.

It miffed me that he didn't even seem to know the Colts' roster. He gets paid a lot of money to research his picks. I do realize that it's an early mock and that it means next to nothing. Believe me, I didn't lose any sleep over it.

It's mock season since Indy isn't playing anymore. I don't appreciate this effort by Kiper, despite the fact that the pick isn't actually horrible in my opinion. I wasn't actually mad, but it wasn't just a matter of differing opinion. I suppose "annoyed" would have been more appropriate.

If you were to ask "why would anything Kiper says annoy you?" I'd probably just hit myself in the hand with a hammer and quietly exit. 

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

Kiper mentioned Decker playing LT, but I assumed he was projecting him to the Colts as a RT. I guess I was just giving him the benefit of the doubt. If we did draft Decker, he would obviously play RT, assuming AC is healthy.

10 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

If he grades this high on Grigson's board and makes it to 18, it's hard to see him not being a Colt.

Ideally we'd get a tackle in rds 2-4, as pass rusher is a greater need, but having a LT playing RT would be too good to pass up.

And if Mack opted out of Cleveland (I suppose even a guy like Wisniewski would be alright, though he's not my favorite) and we were able to snag him and move Reitz to RG.  Should be a dramatic improvement.

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

And if Mack opted out of Cleveland (I suppose even a guy like Wisniewski would be alright, though he's not my favorite) and we were able to snag him and move Reitz to RG.  Should be a dramatic improvement.

All true, though I'm not eager to see Reitz move inside as a planned starter.  I'm not sure its a coincidence that Reitz was able to stay healthy all year on the edge when he never has inside.  Rather have him starting at tackle or 6th man.

The situation with Mack is going to be fun to watch.  I could see him staying now with Hue Jackson coming on board.    

I've watched a lot of Decker at OSU, and imo he never dominated in the fashion someone with his side and athleticism should. I would also say OSU's offensive line this year was wildly inconsistent, so it's hard to figure how many blown assignments he had, but far too often there were free rushers going through that line.

All that said, I can see him as a right tackle for Indy.He started on the right side as a sophmore, and aside from his first start against khalil Mack, was very solid. I think his size makes him ideal on the right side as well. He has shown the ability to excel in the run game. Taylor also has the athleticism to get into the second level.

4 hours ago, ztboiler said:

If he grades this high on Grigson's board and makes it to 18, it's hard to see him not being a Colt.

Ideally we'd get a tackle in rds 2-4, as pass rusher is a greater need, but having a LT playing RT would be too good to pass up.

Bingo.....

Which is why I'd like to get a pass rusher of some type in R1....   and save the RT pick for R2....   and Stanford's Left Tackle Kyle Murphy I think would be an OK Left Tackle in the pros....   but I think he'd be a great Right Tackle in the NFL.     A good pass blocker,  but a very good run blocker.    Very smooth,  very athletic, very light on his feet.....     Honestly,  the players he reminds me the most of.....    Anthony Castanzo.

I'm very selective about Stanford guys to Indy....     but I think Murphy is exactly what we're looking for in R2.

I called Henry Anderson to us last year in R3.     I'm hoping to do it again this year in R2 with Murphy.....

6 hours ago, ztboiler said:

All true, though I'm not eager to see Reitz move inside as a planned starter.  I'm not sure its a coincidence that Reitz was able to stay healthy all year on the edge when he never has inside.  Rather have him starting at tackle or 6th man.

The situation with Mack is going to be fun to watch.  I could see him staying now with Hue Jackson coming on board.    

I am curious about Good and if they truly see him as the future RT?  If so I personally think Reitz is best suited as the 6th man / swing tackle.  Nice to have but I think you can do better with another starter.  Maybe Good can move inside as well?  

Ultimately BPA is to me always the best philosophy and if Decker is it, I think you take him and worry about where others line up later.

8 hours ago, ztboiler said:

Well, I thought in the past he has been better than Thornton, but I wouldn't be opposed to relegating Reitz to backup and putting Thornton at RG.

At any rate, I agree on the Mack situation. Hue might be able to Coax him, but they still don't have a QB. So they likely aren't going anywhere next year, even if they draft a QB. Mack is on the home stretch of his prime, and if the possibility of getting a title is at all important to him, that will be part of the analysis. Maybe it carries the decision to opt out, maybe it doesn't. I'm sure his agent is getting feelers out there and if people are in the ball park to what he's getting now, it'll make the decision easier.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't like the idea of investing a first round pick into LT talent when we just spent big money to sign our LT talent.  BPA is always best, but I'd prefer if the BPA at #18 was a defensive player.

Well, sure.  Isn't always best if BPA matches nicely with need?  That is a given.

To me the Colts have so many needs that adding talent where ever is a can't miss philosophy.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I am curious about Good and if they truly see him as the future RT?  If so I personally think Reitz is best suited as the 6th man / swing tackle.  Nice to have but I think you can do better with another starter.  Maybe Good can move inside as well?  

Ultimately BPA is to me always the best philosophy and if Decker is it, I think you take him and worry about where others line up later.

Good is a variable to account for...and I've had the same thoughts about whether he could play inside also.  However, despite the positive press, I'd be surprised if they plan on Good being anything but a depth guy for a couple more years.

Reitz played well enough and healthy enough that I don't see signing a UFA RT...but it's very necessary that we get another young Tackle in here.  

Like Good, that prospect can likely play guard as well.

38 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, I thought in the past he has been better than Thornton, but I wouldn't be opposed to relegating Reitz to backup and putting Thornton at RG.

At any rate, I agree on the Mack situation. Hue might be able to Coax him, but they still don't have a QB. So they likely aren't going anywhere next year, even if they draft a QB. Mack is on the home stretch of his prime, and if the possibility of getting a title is at all important to him, that will be part of the analysis. Maybe it carries the decision to opt out, maybe it doesn't. I'm sure his agent is getting feelers out there and if people are in the ball park to what he's getting now, it'll make the decision easier.

Reitz is the superior player today, no doubt about that.  Whatever the reasons, we can't ignore the injury data and expect him to start more than a few games in a row on the inside.

I think people are starting to realize how well Thornton played this year.  I'd be fine starting him if Reitz is the 6th man.  Thornton is an injury concern as well, but I don't see him as a performance concern.

If Reitz could have stayed healthy in 2012, there is no doubt in my mind that he would have locked down the LG spot and completely changed the progression of this OLine. 

7 hours ago, jskinnz said:

All indications are that we're going to more ZBS. In that case, I think Reitz is more than capable at RT, and I'm eager to see him continue to work there. 

On 1/15/2016 at 3:30 PM, Superman said:

Kiper just mocked him to us, so I figured I'd watch. He played RT in 2013 when Mewhort was at LT, then moved to LT the past two years. Could theoretically play RT for us. And I kind of like Decker's go-get-it attitude on and off the field.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=122692&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/taylor-decker/

Size: Listed at 6'7", 315 pounds, prototypical size and length for an NFL tackle. Great frame, long arms, looks like the best LTs in the league. 5/5

Athleticism / mobility: No problems getting around. He moves well laterally, has range and ability to switch directions smoothly. He can pull with reasonable effectiveness, but it's not graceful. Gets to the second level with ease. Looks smooth in his pass block sets, and moves forward in run blocking without laboring. If he gets beat by quicker rushers, which is difficult because of his long arms, he'll struggle to get back in the play; this also limits his ability to seal defenders on run plays at the second level. Mirrors edge rushers well. Doesn't do a good job of cut blocking, which limits his range some. Good bend and flexibility, not stiff (ie, Mewhort), but not a gymnast either. 7/10

Technique: Fundamentally sound, and much improved from 2014 to 2015. Quick out of his stance in both phases, stays in balance, doesn't lean too far over his feet, stays light on his feet to handle changes, very few false steps, and even when he takes a false step he has the size and strength to make up for it. Hand placement is usually great, but he's prone to keep his hands too low, which leads to rushers getting into him and pushing him back, or getting his hands too far outside, resulting in holding. Great hand punch in both phases, which I love, and it leads to him setting a firm edge in the passing game. Also resets well with feet and hands, mostly because he stays square balanced. Goes from doubles to next man very well, works well with his linemates to handle switches and stunts. Once he engages, he pretty much locks his man down. 9/10

Physicality: Strong and powerful, basically a people mover. Jars his man with his hand punch. Has good upper body strength to beat his man even when he's unbalanced or out of position, sometimes throwing his man out of position. Doesn't exactly wipe his man out when pulling or on the move, more typically engages and then overpowers, sometimes wrestling. Finishes well. Can handle any one on one matchup from a power/strength standpoint, and whenever he's in a double team, it's a win. 8/10

Pass blocking: Hardly ever loses once engaged. Takes the appropriate drop almost every time, has a sufficiently quick initial step, smooth kickslide, mirrors well. His hands are a big key, because he uses them to push his man up the field while keeping him away from the passer. His height makes him susceptible to dip/rip moves from pass rushers, which is probably why he keeps his hands low. Doesn't give up when he gets beat by speed, and doesn't panic; with his length he can still influence the path of the rush and give his QB a chance. Steps out in space to handle blitzers and wide rushers well; sometimes gets overwhelmed when he has to choose between the inside and outside guy. 4/5

Run blocking: Handles his man well, but height means he doesn't get under his man and blow him back straight up. Doesn't crush his man in pulling situations, but does engage and typically win. Not a great cut blocker. Gets out in front of screens well. Double teams well and then gets to the second level well. Seals sufficiently but not as consistent or effective as I'd like. Plays to the whistle. Not a pancake blocker. Stays in control. 3.5/5

Vision/awareness: Didn't see any procedural penalties. Usually identifies the right guy to block, doesn't let rushers run past him unrecognized (happened once in the games I watched). Seems to identify pass rush moves right away. Protections aren't complicated, but LT is the place where you'd see deficiencies show up, and I didn't really see any. 4/5

Versatility: Tackle only, but can play both sides. Prototypical LT prospect, IMO. No problem playing RT. Has traits that fit MBS and ZBS without a problem, handling power and speed equally well. Too tall and plays too high to play inside. 3.5/5

Overall: 44/55, 80%, high first rounder

Scheme fit: Can play any blocking scheme, and for any offense, whether run heavy, pass heavy, screen heavy, spread, whatever. 

Gifs:

2014, straight jacket treatment, with a nice finish: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=256710&gif=FriendlyWigglyAlaskanmalamute 

2014, handles a spin move: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=256710&gif=SpeedySoulfulDungenesscrab

2015, blocks no one on a blitz: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=259660&gif=JampackedDecentBluet

2015, disciplined to not overset: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=257673&gif=LikelyElegantBasilisk

I think he's just as good as Laremy Tunsil right now, with better size and better hand usage. Tunsil probably has more upside and is much better in space and on the move. I view this as a toss up, but Tunsil's movement ability is appealing.

Imo he's the most pro ready T.  He is very sound technically and that is the biggest asset for me in olineman. 

I'm still going through olineman right now but he sticks out to me.  I just don't know if he is going to be there when we pick.  

Draft him, sign Stefan Wisniewski and Kelechi Osemele and the OL is top 5 in the league.
 Imagine this line:

George Costanza (Joe Reitz will be a backup at both T positions and at G too)

Jack Mewhort - Jonotthan Harrison

Stefan Wisniewski - Khaled Holmes

Kelechi Osemele - Hugh Thornton

Taylor Decker - Denzelle Goode

Release - Lance Louis. A 4th string OL at best.

14 hours ago, Superman said:

What does that have to do with Taylor Decker?

i didn't necessarily mean to direct that at you.  In that mock smith is still on the board, and we have spent the last 8 months or so listening to grigson defend BPA, and others have brought up BPA in this thread

if he is in fact there at 18, i guess the question is can we afford to wait out his injury and will he be the same player afterwords.  i think the answers are yes, and probably

7 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i didn't necessarily mean to direct that at you.  In that mock smith is still on the board, and we have spent the last 8 months or so listening to grigson defend BPA, and others have brought up BPA in this thread

if he is in fact there at 18, i guess the question is can we afford to wait out his injury and will he be the same player afterwords.  i think the answers are yes, and probably

I'm just watching players and sharing my thoughts on them. Some people immediately relate that to the Colts, but that's not my intention. Just FYI.

As for Smith, that's going to be a complicated evaluation for any team. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2016 at 10:01 AM, DougDew said:

I don't like the idea of investing a first round pick into LT talent when we just spent big money to sign our LT talent.  BPA is always best, but I'd prefer if the BPA at #18 was a defensive player.

So a quality player who will play RT for now, and protect our FRANCHISE, and should become as good or better than our current schmo at LT, for a measly $2.5M a year doesn`t sound Great 2 you?

I don`t like this kid for us, maybe a little better than Mewhort as a RT, UGH!, but fixing our O-Line clearly comes first.
 Unfortunately, Grigson and his Mentor Irsay are an embarrassment at this so lol.

50 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

So a quality player who will play RT for now, and protect our FRANCHISE, and should become as good or better than our current schmo at LT, for a measly $2.5M a year doesn`t sound Great 2 you?

I don`t like this kid for us, maybe a little better than Mewhort as a RT, UGH!, but fixing our O-Line clearly comes first.
 Unfortunately, Grigson and his Mentor Irsay are an embarrassment at this so lol.

You can find quality RTs in the 2nd round, too (which by the way, is where you should really start looking for an RT), and it'll be cheaper than the "measly" $2.5 million. I think this team is better suited, should the draft fall that way, is to pick up a playmaker on defense and then plug a hole in the line in the 2nd.  Our biggest need on the line isn't at RT anyway.  It might be come April depending on FA, but I really don't get all the mocks giving us an RT at #18.