Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis Colts history 1984-2015

buccolts

I looked around a little bit, and didn't notice anything on this, and forgive me if I overlooked it, but.......

It was a very painful memory for all of us who were alive, and fans, at that time, and old enough to remember.

We all know where we were. We've talked about all the painful memories at various over the years.

But, yesterday, Jan. 14 was an important date for us, painful as it was, and we didn't talk about it...... at all?

I'm not sure they even showed it on NFLN, all day, but I didn't check until late.

Come on, you all know what I'm talking about, but I understand. I also die a little inside every time I think about it.

17 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I looked around a little bit, and didn't notice anything on this, and forgive me if I overlooked it, but.......

It was a very painful memory for all of us who were alive, and fans, at that time, and old enough to remember.

We all know where we were. We've talked about all the painful memories at various over the years.

But, yesterday, Jan. 14 was an important date for us, painful as it was, and we didn't talk about it...... at all?

I'm not sure they even showed it on NFLN, all day, but I didn't check until late.

Come on, you all know what I'm talking about, but I understand. I also die a little inside every time I think about it.

Hmm you must be talking about the TD catch/non catch by Aaron Bailey vs Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game. Harbaughs 2nd to last year as a Colt. One of my earliest and still most painful memories in the Colts playoff history since I have been watching them...Even more then the loss to the Saints in the SB

13 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Hmm you must be talking about the TD catch/non catch by Aaron Bailey vs Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game. Harbaughs 2nd to last year as a Colt. One of my earliest and still most painful memories in the Colts playoff history since I have been watching them...Even more then the loss to the Saints in the SB

Yep, there must have been at least 4 plays that, if they would have gone our way we could have won that game. 

I experienced the SB loss to the Jets, and this game was very close in disappointment. 

Just to cheer everyone up since we have no Playoff Football this season, here is a look at what we have accomplished in the 32 seasons in Indianapolis 1984-2015:

SuperBowl wins - 2006 Season

AFC Conference Champions - 2006, 2009 season's

Final 4 Appearances - 1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014 season's

Regular Season's where we have won at least 11 games or more - 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014

The Great players in Indianapolis Colts history

QB's - Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

RB's - Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James

WR's - Bill Brooks, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton

TE's - Ken Dilger, Dallas Clark

O.Lineman - Chris Hinton OG, Ray Donaldson C, Kevin Call OT, Will Wolford OT, Tarik Glenn OT, Jeff Saturday C

D.Lineman - Jon Hand DE, Tony Siragusa DT, Booger McFarland DT, Dwight Freeney DE, Robert Mathis DE

LB's - Quentin Coryatt, Jeff Herrod, Cato June, Gary Brackett

CB's - Kelvin Hayden, Vontae Davis

Safeties - Bob Sanders

Kickers - Adam Vinatieri

Punters - Pat McAfee

Head Coaches - Tony Dungy, Chuck Pagano

Other Coaches - Tom Moore, Bruce Arians

-If I left off any names I apologize but I tried to just name the Elite Players and Coaches we have had. Please feel free to add some names. I am sure there are a few I am forgetting from even the 80's.

6 hours ago, Gavin said:

It was a catch! I am still not over it....

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I was there as well. I was fairly young, but I vividly remember it. After that game, I began to let the hate flow through me for the Steelers. 

me too, it's an unreasonable hate but, it's still there

biding my time till we beat them in the AFC championship in Pitt

That will clear it up for me

4 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I was there. Hail mary was right in front of us.

the whole stadium thought he caught it.

i've never heard it so quiet in Three Rivers.

what a game.

that darn shoestring tackle.  Slash stepping out of endzone then cwtching td.

crap.  We woulda beat Dallas too!

Kordell Stewart blatantly stepping out of the endzone and then coming back in illegally to catch the TD is the main thing I remember. It is one of the reasons replay was brought back if I am not mistaken. I was xxxx. All of a sudden, I thought Aaron Bailey came down with the catch, and then a big sign from the crowd. The Hail Mary for me was exciting, although he could not hold on. Stewart was thievery on the part of the Steelers!

20 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I was there as well. I was fairly young, but I vividly remember it. After that game, I began to let the hate flow through me for the Steelers. 

13 minutes ago, Nadine said:

me too, it's an unreasonable hate but, it's still there

biding my time till we beat them in the AFC championship in Pitt

That will clear it up for me

If you two want to more hate to flow, you shoal read the front page of the Indystar.  They have an article on the Nick Harper play vs the Steelers.

17 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

If you two want to more hate to flow, you shoal read the front page of the Indystar.  They have an article on the Nick Harper play vs the Steelers.

I started to read it yesterday, then closed the app.  There's enough aggravation in this world, why revisit the stuff from past.

Just now, Smonroe said:

I started to read it yesterday, then closed the app.  There's enough aggravation in this world, why revisit the stuff from past.

Funny, I did the same thing.  I started to read the story and then I thought, why the heck am I reliving this?

8 hours ago, buccolts said:

Yep, there must have been at least 4 plays that, if they would have gone our way we could have won that game. 

I experienced the SB loss to the Jets, and this game was very close in disappointment. 

Not sure any game could ever approach the SB III disaster.  Since the Colts were never really in that game (SB III) - the Saints loss surely comes close, though.

4 hours ago, grmasterb said:

Booger McFarland was here for only part of one season. No mention of Eugene Daniel? Antoine Bethea? Tony McCoy? Ray Buchanan? Jason Belser?

Yeah I left off a few names so thanks for adding them. Booger McFarland in 2006 was a huge pickup though and solidified our D.Line is why I listed him. He helped us get a Ring.

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

Let's not forget the easy interception dropped by Quentin Coryatt that would have sealed the game. Ugh

This! Oh man, this. Felt like someone punched me in the gut when Coryatt dropped that ball. In all likelihood, a pick 6 & game over. Also, what many people don't remember about that play was, on the very next play after the drop O'Donnell hit a 37 pass to set up the TD.

I was way too young to have watched or remembered the Aaron Bailey hail mary. The Nick Harper fumble return being tackled by Big Ben and just losing that game in general was a real kick in the jewels. That might have been the most complete team I've seen the Colts ever have. And Vandershank missing that kick. The last few minutes of that game was almost a nightmare. The steelers were handing us the game and we blew it. Things don't ever seem to go right when we play the Steelers.

I thought this was going to be something about the Colts being in Indy now longer than Baltimore. I agree with Old Crow in another thread that if a team moves they should leave the history and name behind but as it is now the Colts have just as much history in Indy now as Baltimore...and this thread shows a lot of pain too.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I thought this was going to be something about the Colts being in Indy now longer than Baltimore. I agree with Old Crow in another thread that if a team moves they should leave the history and name behind but as it is now the Colts have just as much history in Indy now as Baltimore...and this thread shows a lot of pain too.

A team moves to another city does not mean it is a different team.

37 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

The Houston Oilers becoming the Tennessee Titans, same franchise, but is it the same team ? Confusing. 

That was their choice. Did the Raiders, Cardinals or Rams change their names? It's not confusing at all. Irsay explained his choice by saying he was keeping the Colts tradition. It's his team and his choice just the same as any other team that relocates. The Ravens are the Ravens because of a settlement agreed on by Modell.

15 hours ago, dgambill said:

That loss gutted me...so many highs and lows. That said honestly it saved us from playing the Cowboys....who would have DESTROYED us. It would likely been like a bears vs Pats all over again.

I wouldn't be so quick to declare that. The Colts defeated the Cowboys at Dallas the next season.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

That was their choice. Did the Raiders, Cardinals or Rams change their names? It's not confusing at all. Irsay explained his choice by saying he was keeping the Colts tradition. It's his team and his choice just the same as any other team that relocates. The Ravens are the Ravens because of a settlement agreed on by Modell.

I know, it just makes things muddled and confusing. Certainly Irsay could keep the Colts tradition, but Baltimore could have kept it, had Irsay wanted to start fresh,  and Indy start a new tradition. That way you wouldn't have Baltimore-Indy Colts 2-2 on Super Bowl records , as an example.  I'm glad the St. Louis Browns never won a world series, as I would have that name stuck in front of the Orioles World Series wins. Honestly, I could care less about their 1944 AL Pennant that we have in our records, but that's just me.  I know many people on this forum like the old Baltimore Colts, so its all good, but to me, it just makes for muddled football history, when it could be less complicated. My thinking is if the Colts name stayed dormant in Baltimore, and the team moved to Indy with a new name, the locals would follow the new team, while fans outside Indy or Baltimore would have come back to the Colts if we got an expansion team.  You have to wonder how many LA Ram original fans are back on board after 20 years ? As I love history of all sorts, this franchise movement stuff is fascinating. I guess when baseball came back to DC, no one wanted the Senators name ! Some names are definitely better than others !

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

That loss gutted me...so many highs and lows. That said honestly it saved us from playing the Cowboys....who would have DESTROYED us. It would likely been like a bears vs Pats all over again.

I doubt that Harbaugh would have handed the super bowl over like O'Donnell did. The Cowboys didn't destroy anything. The Steelers handed them the super bowl.

On 1/15/2016 at 1:52 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Just to cheer everyone up since we have no Playoff Football this season, here is a look at what we have accomplished in the 32 seasons in Indianapolis 1984-2015:

SuperBowl wins - 2006 Season

AFC Conference Champions - 2006, 2009 season's

Final 4 Appearances - 1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014 season's

Regular Season's where we have won at least 11 games or more - 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014

The Great players in Indianapolis Colts history

QB's - Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

RB's - Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James

WR's - Bill Brooks, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton

TE's - Ken Dilger, Dallas Clark

O.Lineman - Chris Hinton OG, Ray Donaldson C, Kevin Call OT, Will Wolford OT, Tarik Glenn OT, Jeff Saturday C

D.Lineman - Jon Hand DE, Tony Siragusa DT, Booger McFarland DT, Dwight Freeney DE, Robert Mathis DE

LB's - Quentin Coryatt, Jeff Herrod, Cato June, Gary Brackett

CB's - Kelvin Hayden, Vontae Davis

Safeties - Bob Sanders

Kickers - Adam Vinatieri

Punters - Pat McAfee

Head Coaches - Tony Dungy, Chuck Pagano

Other Coaches - Tom Moore, Bruce Arians

-If I left off any names I apologize but I tried to just name the Elite Players and Coaches we have had. Please feel free to add some names. I am sure there are a few I am forgetting from even the 80's.

Lb Duane Bickett. K Dean Biasucci. S Mike Pryor Keith taylor. Cb Ray Buchanan