Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Varga

ALL BLUE

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Who knows. I liked him, but I doubt he'll even be on the roster next year. I think we'll draft a RB pretty early.

I liked him better than Robinson, by far.

It's not a popular opinion but I'd be very happy if we took Zeke Elliott.  He would be Luck's Edge for the next ten years.  He has all the tools to be a three down RB.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It's not a popular opinion but I'd be very happy if we took Zeke Elliott.  He would be Luck's Edge for the next ten years.  He has all the tools to be a three down RB.

I agree  it would be great,but need so much more just don't no about the priorities.

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I like Zeke, but IMO if we do not get a center or RG in FA.... can't go RB in the 1st our needs are too much... as we stand now I say we go Pass pusher in 1st and Center in 2nd....wouldn't mind trading back to the top of the second and grabbing more picks and getting a PR and C.. in the 2nd... the new DC/:LB coaches may have deifferent views once there in and look at what we have... I have several mock drafts giving Zeke to us, but all that talent won't be seen in the line we have now...

You guys are probably right, we have roo many needs to go RB at one.  And, cards on the table, I'm looking at it through Scarlett and Grey glasses.  I really think he's special, as in Edge special, and I'd hate to see him elsewhere.  To make matters worse, some mocks have him going to the Texans who just releases Foster.

Im not sure that there's a OLB at our pick that's a real playmaker.  Certainly no Olineman is worth it there.  Maybe a CB.  Anyway, just MHO (that I'll be tweeting to Irsay a couple hundred times in a few months).

There are several OL worth it IMO.... look no further than your Buckeyes OT.....  As for Defense, again.... look to your Buck Nuts.....  or Jaylon Smith.....  Hell, I'd almost take OL Jason Spriggs out of IU at 18, especially if we are going to a Zone Blocking Scheme.... he's athletic as hell for a RT.... ideally you could trade back a bit and get him, but if he's your man, I'd take him at 18 no problem....

1 hour ago, CS Coltsfan said:

I like Zeke, but IMO if we do not get a center or RG in FA.... can't go RB in the 1st our needs are too much... as we stand now I say we go Pass pusher in 1st and Center in 2nd....wouldn't mind trading back to the top of the second and grabbing more picks and getting a PR and C.. in the 2nd... the new DC/:LB coaches may have deifferent views once there in and look at what we have... I have several mock drafts giving Zeke to us, but all that talent won't be seen in the line we have now...

Last year there were a crap ton of mocks mocking Melvin Gordon to us. Some even Gurley. With that said I think Elliott will be better than Gordon. I still don't want us to draft him in the 1st, though. IMO we have to go Defense in the 1st round, and if we sign a Center and Guard in free agency we need to go Defense in the 2nd too.

32 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

There are several OL worth it IMO.... look no further than your Buckeyes OT.....  As for Defense, again.... look to your Buck Nuts.....  or Jaylon Smith.....  Hell, I'd almost take OL Jason Spriggs out of IU at 18, especially if we are going to a Zone Blocking Scheme.... he's athletic as hell for a RT.... ideally you could trade back a bit and get him, but if he's your man, I'd take him at 18 no problem....

But wouldnt you want to get that flashy new car instead?  

Again, it's just my opinion but my logic is that there's going to be a guy available in the second round that isn't that far off from the first round at every position of need except RB. And RB IS a position of need.

As for Flashy New Cars....to take the analogy a bit further, Fans don't like the payments.... we just got a little sports car from a Miami Dealership, and everyone hates it, it's been hard to keep running at top performance, and they really wanted the Chevy Pickup to do the heavy lifting with back in April, hindsight being 20/20.....  Except me, personally I'm willing to put in the time and effort to get enjoyment out of the new high-performance Dorsett coupe we already have at WR, I mean, it's only a 2015 model......  

11 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

As for Flashy New Cars....to take the analogy a bit further, Fans don't like the payments.... we just got a little sports car from a Miami Dealership, and everyone hates it, it's been hard to keep running at top performance, and they really wanted the Chevy Pickup to do the heavy lifting with back in April, hindsight being 20/20.....  Except me, personally I'm willing to put in the time and effort to get enjoyment out of the new high-performance Dorsett coupe we already have at WR, I mean, it's only a 2015 model......  

My analogy was we were the guy with a three year old Vette but kept it in a garage with a huge hole in the roof.  But instead of fixing the roof, we bought a brand new Vette to park next to the other one.  Can't drive either one if the roof caves in on them.

3 hours ago, ALL BLUE said:

Why was Varga put on IR for a Concussion? Just a way of protecting him for next year without using a roster spot?

i dont understand this nore do i think it is what we will do, we a couple secondary players a few oline and pass rush before we need a RB, i would be choked if we drafted one early

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Who knows. I liked him, but I doubt he'll even be on the roster next year. I think we'll draft a RB pretty early.

I'm not sure it's clear that we'll draft a running back at all....

And if we do,  I'm not sure it will be early.....

There's always free agency....   late picks....   or un-drafted free agents....

If we're going to use a high pick on a running back,  then 2017 is the year to do it,  not 2016.

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we're going to use a high pick on a running back,  then 2017 is the year to do it,  not 2016.

You could be right and its too early to know yet really. But my thought was Gore's getting older and has a greater chance of getting injured because of it. I think Grigs will want to bring in the back of the future to pair with Gore and as an insurance policy so to speak. I'd hate to have Robinson and Varga as our main backs if Gore were to go down early.

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Your OSU homerism is showing. ;)

He'll have a great career but I wouldn't draft him at our spot, based solely on the position he plays.

1 hour ago, The Peytonator said:

Your OSU homerism is showing. ;)

He'll have a great career but I wouldn't draft him at our spot, based solely on the position he plays.

I would love the pick and I'm not even an OSU fan. Zeke will be a stud in the NFL almost for certain. He's one of the few rbs that should be taken in the first round. 

6 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Who's Williams?

Trey Williams is the little scat back rookie from Texas A&M.  He had one carry for a good gain, but he's more of a flanker than a RB.   I'm not sure what role he could play, we already have small, fast receivers.  If you put him in the backfield on passing downs, it's a green light for blitzing.

1 hour ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I pray we dont take a rb in the first 5 rds of the draft myself. RB's are a dime a dozen compared to the other roster spots this Colts team needs to address ASAP!

Average RBs are a dime a dozen.  So we want to keep going for the average?  After Elliott, I wouldn't draft anyone until late either.  Henry isn't a complete RB IMO.

So, I guess the Colts are going to have to decide if they want to count on Gore another year and live with the mediocrity behind him, or go for a guy who could be a starter for the next 8-10 years.

Sure, we have many other needs.  But I'll keep saying it - the drop off from round 1 to 2 on all those needed positions isn't nearly as great as it is for RBs.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Throw the house @ Leonard Fournette in '17 if he's healthy & willing/able. A lot can happen in a season or two. Let's see. Wouldn't mind a bit to acquire him some way if not the draft.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hopefully in 2017 the Colts won't have as high of a draft pick. Let's just say pick#32

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Trey Williams is the little scat back rookie from Texas A&M.  He had one carry for a good gain, but he's more of a flanker than a RB.   I'm not sure what role he could play, we already have small, fast receivers.  If you put him in the backfield on passing downs, it's a green light for blitzing.

Not sure how he should be used either but hes got some quick.Been awhile since anyone with a horse shoe has gone around the corner that fast. (Tennessee game)

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Average RBs are a dime a dozen.  So we want to keep going for the average?  After Elliott, I wouldn't draft anyone until late either.  Henry isn't a complete RB IMO.

So, I guess the Colts are going to have to decide if they want to count on Gore another year and live with the mediocrity behind him, or go for a guy who could be a starter for the next 8-10 years.

Sure, we have many other needs.  But I'll keep saying it - the drop off from round 1 to 2 on all those needed positions isn't nearly as great as it is for RBs.

Varga is not mediocrity. He would have been a STUD for us this season if not for his concussion. Hard Work beat Talent when Talent don't Work Hard. I will not be surprise when Varga beat out Gore and becomes the work horse back. RBs should be the least of our worries. Right now we should worry about Defense and Offensive Line.