Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts recruiting ex Rams fans

Cynjin

3 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Trying to increase their fan base.  It makes sense, there are probably a lot of disenfranchised fans looking for a new team.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25448342/look-colts-are-openly-recruiting-heartbroken-st-louis-rams-fans

Who said this organization was stupid, unknowing, & out of touch with it's fan base? 

What's the name of that TV show? "Where are they now?" Oh yeah. That's the O N E !

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, jet1968 said:

I live just as close to St Louis as I do Indianapolis (South Central Illinois). I personally don't know any Rams fans. They are either Colts, Bears, or a small group of Packers fans. Now if you are talking baseball then they are all Cards fans

Really? I used to live in Central Illinois and found that there were few Colts fans.  Most were Bears fans and there were a good amount of St Louis fans.  Same with Baseball, Chicago and St Louis

I always wondered why the Colts were not more popular seeing as how it was closer than the alternatives.  If that's changed, then that's good!

6 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Really? I used to live in Central Illinois and found that there were few Colts fans.  Most were Bears fans and there were a good amount of St Louis fans.  Same with Baseball, Chicago and St Louis

I always wondered why the Colts were not more popular seeing as how it was closer than the alternatives.  If that's changed, then that's good!

The closer you get to St Louis that might change but I dont know of any. I did know a few when the St Louis Cardinals were there. Most of the Bears fans are a pretty die hard bunch. And the Packers fans, well they are just a bunch of misguided people.

54 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Why do we feel a need to recruit fans ? Let the product on the field do that.

Why? Because it's the American capitalist way! And, I mean that in a good way. 

The product on the field plays a major role, no doubt, when you're in a non-NFL city. But, also demographics, style of play, conference, division, and yes ... uniforms & logos.

Just now, The Old Crow said:

Come back to the Colts ? You guys would welcome me as a Hoosier ! Lol 

I'm pretty sure everyone already sees you as a ColtsFan. (Ravens included) That naturally follows into "HoosierWorthy". I'm a Hoosier by heart, not residency. :) 

1 hour ago, NBColtsFanatic said:

California has too many sports teams. I'm still waiting on the day Indiana gets an MLB team, no offense to the Indians. 

Chargers

Rams

Raiders

49'ers 

---

Lakers

Kings

Warriors

Clippers

---

(don't really follow baseball) but certainly one of the teams can move to Indy :)

I doubt that there will be an MLB team in Indy in this lifetime...or ever, for that matter. Indiana is mainly a "basketball state", and doesn't have the baseball tradition that other states have. Kids who grow up in California play baseball pretty much year round. The only sport that tops it in participation is soccer, which can be fun to play but as a spectator sport it's like watching corn grow. The main reason, however is probably just population. 

California: Population 39.1 million

Indiana: Population 6.6 million

MLB plays 81 regular season home games per year, so you need a pretty sizable population, concentrated in major metropolitan areas, to put enough butts in enough seats to make it pay off.  The SF Giants, for example, play in a ballpark that seats about 42,000, and they sell out pretty much every seat, year in and year out. I just don't see how you could get even 25-30,000 Hoosiers to part with enough cash to buy tickets to 81 home games. Also, Chicago and Cincinnati teams claim MLB market rights to parts of Indiana. I doubt that either city's franchises would be too happy to see a team in Indy, and would fight tooth and nail to prevent it. 

3 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Irsay puts up a 'St. Louis Rams 1999 Superbowl Champions' banner to appeal to his new bandwagon.

Only 3 banners that should be hanging are the one's in my signature. I see your sarcasm but I do agree Irsay goes a little overboard with all of these banners. I don't even believe in hanging Division Championship banners.

18 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

I'm pretty sure everyone already sees you as a ColtsFan. (Ravens included) That naturally follows into "HoosierWorthy". I'm a Hoosier by heart, not residency. :) 

It is true, I am half horseshoe , and I like Indy. Maybe I could open up a crab cake stand near the stadium ! 

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Only 3 banners that should be hanging are the one's in my signature. I see your sarcasm but I do agree Irsay goes a little overboard with all of these banners. I don't even believe in hanging Division Championship banners.

You want a '2014 AFC Final 4 Deflategate Finalist' banner?

(Don't want to take over the thread, just thought that was funny ;))

7 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

You want a '2014 AFC Final 4 Deflategate Finalist' banner?

(Don't want to take over the thread, just thought that was funny ;))

Yes I do because it points out the Pats cheated and you didn't beat us fair and square. Actually I think it is kind of funny too. It's not like I would hang every Final 4 banner, otherwise I would have 1995 as well. So I hope you get my point regarding that. That banner is more of a statement than anything because I truly believe you guys cheated. Hate me for that if you want but I believe Tom cheated as in he knew the balls were illegal/below deflation PSI. At least I am not into hanging Playoff berth banners and Division Championship banners haha We did make the Final 4 at least with my last banner.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I actually do too but for some reason Bratwurst sounds good right now haha Crab cakes are great though.

How about Brats with a crab cake topping ! Actually , you guys should take some Old Bay crab seasoning and put it on Brats. It is great . One stand at Camden Yards had this, than eliminated it. It's unbelievable .  

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes I do because it points out the Pats cheated and you didn't beat us fair and square. Actually I think it is kind of funny too. It's not like I would hang every Final 4 banner, otherwise I would have 1995 as well. So I hope you get my point regarding that. That banner is more of a statement than anything because I truly believe you guys cheated. Hate me for that if you want but I believe Tom cheated as in he knew the balls were illegal/below deflation PSI. At least I am not into hanging Playoff berth banners and Division Championship banners haha We did make the Final 4 at least with my last banner.

I don't hate you for it, you're welcome to believe whatever you want. 

I do think raising a banner just to make a statement about how you feel about another team is...well...interesting...but hey...go for it! :)

6 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

I don't hate you for it, you're welcome to believe whatever you want. 

I do think raising a banner just to make a statement about how you feel about another team is...well...interesting...but hey...go for it! :)

It's not even so much how I feel about the Pats. It shows we were cheated out of a SB berth. Of course we all can say the Pats would've won anyway despite the balls. Not the point though and the banner is tend to be more comical than anything. Otherwise I would've just typed in Final 4 finalist but I added the word Deflategate purposely. 

39 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

It is true, I am half horseshoe , and I like Indy. Maybe I could open up a crab cake stand near the stadium ! 

As a native from NOLA, eating seafood comes quite natural. Maryland crab cakes, along with Lake Pontchartrain soft-shell crab Po-Boys are the coup-de-gras, baby! 

OC - You build it & they will come. (including me) 

:) 

I live in Illlinois about 15 miles from downtown St. Louis.  Had been a season ticket holder for the St. Louis Rams since 1995 until Kroenke ripped them from St. Louis.  I am very angry about this, but will now try to turn my attention to supporting another team.  I will slowly turn my attention to being a Colts fan since Indianapolis doesn't have any other competing team with St. Louis.  Please let me know how difficult it is to get single game tickets for the Colts.  I'll probably start with one game a year and then build from there.  I attended a wedding in Indianapolis a couple of years ago and really liked the downtown area.  Thanks.

wow, after reading all the comments on the link, it's clear that some fans still hate Indy for taking the Colts from Baltimore.  wasn't that about 100 years ago?  How many Presidents have we gone through since then.  There was no Internet then, no social media, barely a PC back then, 5 1/4 inch floppy drives, Commodore 64 was popular, 300 Baud modems were the norm, & a band called Twisted Sister was surging.

2 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

wow, after reading all the comments on the link, it's clear that some fans still hate Indy for taking the Colts from Baltimore.  wasn't that about 100 years ago?  How many Presidents have we gone through since then.  There was no Internet then, no social media, barely a PC back then, 5 1/4 inch floppy drives, Commodore 64 was popular, 300 Baud modems were the norm, & a band called Twisted Sister was surging.

Commodore 64 had the best video games ever! I had a Football game and a Boxing game when I was a kid that ruled on that system. Star Rank Boxing and Statistics Football on floppy ruled. What made those 2 games fun, it was tough to beat the computer too. The Commodore 64 had a sweet Chess program as well. I could beat most levels but the very top level was nearly impossible to beat. Great times.

57 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

As a native from NOLA, eating seafood comes quite natural. Maryland crab cakes, along with Lake Pontchartrain soft-shell crab Po-Boys are the coup-de-gras, baby! 

OC - You build it & they will come. (including me) 

:) 

I am heading out of Boston today, the home of the evil empire. I was a block from Gillette Stadium and it almost burned my eyes out. Heading back to the safe confines of Baltimore. 

As for NOLA, best food around. Went to Coops Place, the Gumbo Shop, among many other haunts. Caught the Crew the Boo parade. Easy living down there. 

1 minute ago, The Old Crow said:

I am heading out of Boston today, the home of the evil empire. I was a block from Gillette Stadium and it almost burned my eyes out. Heading back to the safe confines of Baltimore. 

As for NOLA, best food around. Went to Coops Place, the Gumbo Shop, among many other haunts. Caught the Crew the Boo parade. Easy living down there. 

Are they known for good Lobster, or would I have to go to Maine or Boston.  Please tell me that it's not Boston, just the thought of hearing those accents and bragging about the Patriots may cause me to expel any seafood.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

IMO if any of them switch over and become Colts fans they aren't true fans. I'm a true blue Colts fan and if we move out of Indy I would be mad as holy hell. but I'd still be a Colts fan.

Just curious, do you line in Indy or outside. The reason I'm asking is you end up being more angry if you are a native because when these teams move, the community usually gets dumped on out the door , like St Louis did. If you live in another state , or something, it doesn't make you less a fan, but it's a higher probability you might follow the Colts elsewhere, or in the case of the Rams, LA. 

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

IMO if any of them switch over and become Colts fans they aren't true fans. I'm a true blue Colts fan and if we move out of Indy I would be mad as holy hell. but I'd still be a Colts fan.

Hows it going guys.  STL Rams fan from Illinois here.  I was interested in seeing what other fanbases thought about the Rams moving to STL so I've been reading this thread.  Appreciate the compassion some of you have expressed for STL fans.  For myself, I was 15 years old when the Rams got here, and have been a partial season ticket holder for a few years.  So when the Rams moved here, I was at the age where I really started caring about professional sports.  Football is my favorite sport, I'm a huge draft nerd, and I just soaked up everything that I could regarding the Rams.  My kids are getting to the age where I was taking them to games and they were enjoying football with me. Hearing the announcement of the Rams moving was a huge kick to the nuts for myself.  We've been lied to for the past 3 years by the COO of the Rams, Kevin Demoff.  So that made it hurt that much more.  

I can appreciate the sentiment above about "true fans", but for myself, I'm a local fan first and foremost.  If another team moved into STL tomorrow (not happening), I'd immediately be a fan.  I wanna go to games and go to a bar with other fans and talk about our team.  So while I 'might' still follow the Rams as a fan, there's no way I could do so with the passion I had when they were here.  

Until the next season starts, I'm not sure who I'll be rooting for.  There's been too much hatred between KC and STL for me to jump on the Chiefs, and I get tired of the Chicago attitude for me to go with the Bears.  I've considered the Colts, being only 3.5 hours away.  Biggest thing for me is that I want to watch every game if I'm really into a team, so I'll be interested to see what games I get televised in my market.  Because I'm sure as heck not giving a dime to the NFL for their TV package.  

Appreciate a lot of the kind words about STL getting screwed.  Pretty devastating for fans like myself.  But good luck to you guys in the future.  I may be around a little more to talk football.  

19 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

I don't think so anymore. I think the point of many of the posters is it just stinks to lose a team. You just don't hear that much about the Colts move anymore, in Indy or Baltimore. 

I think the commonality is that it was business in 1983, and even more so now. You don't think about it much anymore until the franchise location stuff flares up like it has. 

I felt bad for us, Cleveland, Houston, and St Louis when these things happened. I know how a fan feels. I also know how it feels to get a NFL team from another city like Indy or Baltimore did. As fans, we just enjoy our local team, with NFL Football on Sunday's. I just always felt bad for the fans left behind that lost a team. Hopefully, they can get another team, and hopefully it's not 12 years like Baltimore, or 20 like LA. 

3 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

I'm sure some will, but most NFL fans want to root for a local team , unless they are in a remote area. Put the shoe on the other foot. The Colts have just left for LA. You guys are rightfully crushed. McCaskey sends out a tweet to invite you to join Bear's nation because it's a short drive. How do you feel ? 

Id switch to the Bengals.....

13 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

Are they known for good Lobster, or would I have to go to Maine or Boston.  Please tell me that it's not Boston, just the thought of hearing those accents and bragging about the Patriots may cause me to expel any seafood.

It's basically a decent seafood chain outside of Boston. Obviously not as good as some of the lobster shacks in Maine, or some of the better Boston restaurants. 

Unfortunately, I did hear the accents today , but I have to be nice to the customers. I'm at Logan airport now , trying to get out of here ! Actually, Boston is a cool place to visit, it's just the teams we have to put up with ! Lol

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

St Elmo's is really good. I haven't ate there in a while but the shrimp is good and the Steak is excellent.

I love that flat cheese bread they have there also. I've eaten at Peter Lugar's in NYC, and been to many great steak houses in many cities, but St Elmo's is my favorite. The horse radish on the shrimp cocktail will clear your sinuses out !