Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

UPDATE: Rams moving to LA, Chargers pending decision

The Old Crow

1 hour ago, amfootball said:

So St. Louis no longer has a team? Bummer.

With all these potential moves, the NFL will have to do some division realigning.

Did you know that James Orthwein tried to move the Patriots to St Louis in 1992 ? We almost had the St Louis Patriots !!!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, The Old Crow said:

Did you know that James Orthwein tried to move the Patriots to St Louis in 1992 ? We almost had the St Louis Patriots !!!

Oh yes, I know it well. My husband and I were just talking about it this morning when we heard St. Louis was losing their team. Thank goodness for Kraft and him buying the team and putting together this historic run. I just can't imagine NE/Boston without the Pats.

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

You know it's interesting. For a long time, I was opposed to new stadium construction if a team underperformed a lot, but as the years have gone by & I've gotten older, I appreciate that the league understands that the shield is only as strong as it's weakest link. Therefore, by making sure all franchises either get new digs or upgrades, all 32 owners grasp that their product is better when not just 4 teams are always on top. They get that all franchises must share in the financial pie for success. 

Now, don't get me wrong, it still infuriates me that state legislatures are stuck with a large portion of the stadium costs. Something that most fans can't afford for all regular season games by the time you factor in parking, food, tickets, & merchandise. I just appreciate that the NFL unlike MLB tries to level the playing field among all the franchises vs just a select few clubs overall. 

The problem is SW, is what will the stadium standard be, before these guys bolt. St Louis had a stadium deal in the works , but it couldn't touch the mega stadium/ complex that Kroenke is building in Inglewood. M & T Bank stadium or Lucas Oil are great stadiums, but in coming years may be antiquated by new NFL stadium standards. Where does it all end. These owners are also expert at getting around, or writing leases in their favor. Even if you fine them, in the future, the money be so obscene at a new mega stadium or market , they can still pay the fines and move. 

I have always remembered many years ago when an owner said" This isn't your team , your cities team, this is my team, my families team." This may be the truest thing an owner ever said , and applies to all, but the Packers. The fans and the city own the team ! 

7 minutes ago, amfootball said:

Oh yes, I know it well. My husband and I were just talking about it this morning when we heard St. Louis was losing their team. Thank goodness for Kraft and him buying the team and putting together this historic run. I just can't imagine NE/Boston without the Pats.

You had to bring up the historic run. I enjoyed the Victor Kiam years ! Lol 

Just now, amfootball said:

Best run of my life Crow! Hope it continues on Saturday.

I have wiped the Kiam years from my memory. lol.

Bad ad owners like Kiam can really ruin your fun, or in extreme cases, cause your team to lose. Can you imagine no team in the Boston market ? 

Just now, The Old Crow said:

Bad ad owners like Kiam can really ruin your fun, or in extreme cases, cause your team to lose. Can you imagine no team in the Boston market ? 

Yes they do.

No, I can't imagine it. I think if it did happen, another team would have moved in. Similar to what happened in Baltimore. Boston is such a sports town through and through.

Just now, amfootball said:

Yes they do.

No, I can't imagine it. I think if it did happen, another team would have moved in. Similar to what happened in Baltimore. Boston is such a sports town through and through.

There is no doubt that would have happened . We would have gotten a team earlier, but for the machinations of the Redskins , and the commissioner. I loved it in 2000 when that loser Taglibue had to hand the Ravens the Super Bowl trophy. You know that had to gall that DC lawyer ! 

3 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

There is no doubt that would have happened . We would have gotten a team earlier, but for the machinations of the Redskins , and the commissioner. I loved it in 2000 when that loser Taglibue had to hand the Ravens the Super Bowl trophy. You know that had to gall that DC lawyer ! 

Yeah, pretty sweet. But not as sweet as Roger handing the trophy to Bill and Brady! And then the SB MVP trophy to Brady the next day. Have both on DVD and watch over and over still.

2 minutes ago, amfootball said:

Yeah, pretty sweet. But not as sweet as Roger handing the trophy to Bill and Brady! And then the SB MVP trophy to Brady the next day. Have both on DVD and watch over and over still.

It is fun to see a commissioner you don't like burned. Are Kraft and Goodell still friends , or was their friendship ruined  by what happened ? 

6 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

It is fun to see a commissioner you don't like burned. Are Kraft and Goodell still friends , or was their friendship ruined  by what happened ? 

I think Kraft and Goodell are fine. Kraft seem to blame more of the league lawyers than Goodell thru the whole thing. I also think he understands the other 31 business owners, his partners were not on his side either. So what are you going to do? He has a lot of prominent positions with the league that he did not want to sacrifice so I don't blame him. In the end as fans, we all understand the owners are about the money. I love Kraft and all that he has done for our city and team but DG was just a hot mess with no easy solutions IMO.

7 minutes ago, amfootball said:

I think Kraft and Goodell are fine. Kraft seem to blame more of the league lawyers than Goodell thru the whole thing. I also think he understands the other 31 business owners, his partners were not on his side either. So what are you going to do? He has a lot of prominent positions with the league that he did not want to sacrifice so I don't blame him. In the end as fans, we all understand the owners are about the money. I love Kraft and all that he has done for our city and team but DG was just a hot mess with no easy solutions IMO.

It it is certainly a very select club. With all the money floating around , you can see why bygones will be bygones . 

It it is certainly a very select club. With all the money floating around , you can see why bygones will be bygones . 

Yep. And that can be the tough part as fans sometimes. There are some Pats fans that just can't forgive Kraft for not fighting for the picks and all. I don't begrudge them their feelings but in the end it is just football. Entertainment. No one is dying. The Pats will move on just fine even without the number one pick. Kraft did all he could do to support Brady and really thought he was helping him by standing down. Turns out it didn't but Brady got his own vindication in court and did not serve a game this season and may never serve it pending the second circuit. Then on top, we got this great season from the team and Brady so hard to really be that mad anymore. I hope they can make some hay in January but if not I am pretty content with that fourth ring. They have done everything I could have ever hoped they would do the last 15+ years.

4 minutes ago, amfootball said:

Yep. And that can be the tough part as fans sometimes. There are some Pats fans that just can't forgive Kraft for not fighting for the picks and all. I don't begrudge them their feelings but in the end it is just football. Entertainment. No one is dying. The Pats will move on just fine even without the number one pick. Kraft did all he could do to support Brady and really thought he was helping him by standing down. Turns out it didn't but Brady got his own vindication in court and did not serve a game this season and may never serve it pending the second circuit. Then on top, we got this great season from the team and Brady so hard to really be that mad anymore. I hope they can make some hay in January but if not I am pretty content with that fourth ring. They have done everything I could have ever hoped they would do the last 15+ years.

When end it comes down to it, the money rolling in is the tie that binds. 

5 minutes ago, amfootball said:

You seem to think this is over? Next court date is in March. We will see.

When end it comes down to it, the money rolling in is the tie that binds. 

You will find this amusing. Back in 2000 Kraft petitioned the city of South Boston to build the new Pats stadium. The politicians in Southie said not because they did not want the tailgating which is ironic given Southie is a town that likes its bars if you know what I mean. Kraft ended up staying in Foxboro and financed the stadium himself and of course went on to win 4 SBs and pour a boat load of money into Foxboro in the process. I always think how those Southie politicians much kick themselves hard every time football season starts. lol.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You seem to think this is over? Next court date is in March. We will see.

Perhaps you missed this sentence in my post: Turns out it didn't but Brady got his own vindication in court and did not serve a game this season and may never serve it pending the second circuit.

Also, you missed my main point. I don't care about DG or whether Brady ever serves the 4 games or not. Winning that SB and getting that 4th ring was all that mattered to cap this historic run. Maybe they add to it this post season. I don't know but they have done everything I could have ever hoped for and more.

2 hours ago, amfootball said:

You will find this amusing. Back in 2000 Kraft petitioned the city of South Boston to build the new Pats stadium. The politicians in Southie said not because they did not want the tailgating which is ironic given Southie is a town that likes its bars if you know what I mean. Kraft ended up staying in Foxboro and financed the stadium himself and of course went on to win 4 SBs and pour a boat load of money into Foxboro in the process. I always think how those Southie politicians much kick themselves hard every time football season starts. lol.

Those southies aren't the smoothest. 

The Rams put a poor product on the field and have for years. Los Angeles is a "fair weather city" meaning after the new wears off then they will still have poor attendance. Rams suck in St Louis and they are going to suck in Los Angeles.most people in Orange county and south are Chargers fans. Los Angeles county and north are typically Raiders fans. Western Bay area and parts of coast line are 49ers fans. Like California really needs another pro sports team. This is nothing more then a money grab for the NFL to suck more money out of the citizens(taxpayers).

St Louis has enough problems right now. The last thing the people there need is have higher taxes to pay for a new stadium. Everyone I know around St Louis likes the Rams but really end the end could care less . They are huge supporters of the Cardinal baseball orginization, mostly because they have a winning orginization. The owners of the Rams have put a lackluster effort into becoming a winning team and the fans have rewarded them accordingly the naive new fans in California will do the same in time. 20 years from now they might be the Portland Rams or San Antonio Rams. 

I listened to the press conference last night live on Sirrius. As I was listening to every one of the owners and Goddell all I heard was lies. Are people really that naive? I would of been more comfortable if each one of them would have just said- We are greedy and we feel we could rake in more billions if we added another team in California.

2 hours ago, jet1968 said:

The Rams put a poor product on the field and have for years. Los Angeles is a "fair weather city" meaning after the new wears off then they will still have poor attendance. Rams suck in St Louis and they are going to suck in Los Angeles.most people in Orange county and south are Chargers fans. Los Angeles county and north are typically Raiders fans. Western Bay area and parts of coast line are 49ers fans. Like California really needs another pro sports team. This is nothing more then a money grab for the NFL to suck more money out of the citizens(taxpayers).

St Louis has enough problems right now. The last thing the people there need is have higher taxes to pay for a new stadium. Everyone I know around St Louis likes the Rams but really end the end could care less . They are huge supporters of the Cardinal baseball orginization, mostly because they have a winning orginization. The owners of the Rams have put a lackluster effort into becoming a winning team and the fans have rewarded them accordingly the naive new fans in California will do the same in time. 20 years from now they might be the Portland Rams or San Antonio Rams. 

I listened to the press conference last night live on Sirrius. As I was listening to every one of the owners and Goddell all I heard was lies. Are people really that naive? I would of been more comfortable if each one of them would have just said- We are greedy and we feel we could rake in more billions if we added another team in California.

The sad thing is the Rams owner is Stanley Enos Kroenke named after St Louis Cardinal stars Stan Musiel and Enos Slaughter. He was a local St Louis guy that sold out his local community , much as Baltimore resident Carroll Rosenbloom sold out the Colts many years ago when he traded for the Rams ! Like Art Modell , he will never be welcomed back in his hometown. 

16 hours ago, SilentHill said:

Yea we move back to the AFC East and the Dolphins move to the AFC South, lol.

dolphins would fit in the south, but indy isnt a much better fit in the east than we are in the south.  maybe if they made a midwest division 

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

dolphins would fit in the south, but indy isnt a much better fit in the east than we are in the south.  maybe if they made a midwest division 

Probably make more sense with Baltimore in AFC East, and Indy in AFC North. Won't happen though because of Pittsburgh rivalry. 

30 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I agree.  These are the uniforms I remember whenever I think of the Rams.  It would be great to see those uni's again on a regular basis.

Yes, I agree. Maybe an updated version of the Rams unies from the 1960's. I think they'll probably go back to the yellow & blue. Or, keep the gold & blue? Up to Kroenke, I guess.

9 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Let me preface this by saying I think Indy is a great city and sports town. I travel a lot , and really enjoy it there. Very polite NFL fans , and politicians that get it, and understand what you have to do to get or keep a team. They know the benefit of professional sports franchises. 

You guys will probably lose the combine, and that stinks. We all like it in Indy, but with these owners, it's all about how much more obscene profits can we squeeze out. Part of me understands it because it's big business, and I have no problem with guys taking risks making profits. But what gets lost in the shuffle is fans, and the communities. They are great until an owner can get more profit elsewhere. My other concern is all of us may eventually have to boot the costs of future mega stadiums these guys all will want. It could be a scary future. 

I I know this will never happen but when these teams move, I would like to see the logos and team histories stay in the cities. I'm not picking on you guys because it's a done deal with the Colts, and we have the Ravens, but moving forward it would be a good thing. I watched Eric Dickerson excited as he is known primarily as a LA Ram . I saw Kurt Warner wondering what his legacy will be in LA, as he was a St. Louis Ram. Will Kurt Warner be the Johnny Unitas of St. Louis ?

If if a team has to move that's one thing, but just make a clean break. Start over in another city with an exciting new history, not something that happened elsewhere. The new logos will sell as good as the old ones if you win. In the Rams case, they are moving back to a place they are best known. Still, you have that 21 year history in St Louis. Is Kroenke going to fly the St Louis banners in LA ? Always sticky with these moves historically. 

First, I hadn't heard we were losing the Combine.  Our Super Bowl was voted the most loved host city of all time by countless polls and we likely will get another one (I think Irsay's trouble set us back, but eventually we'll get it again because everyone, the media, fans and NFL loved the experience. 

As for the Colts/Baltimore, you do realize that you guys took the Colts from another city right?  Not once, but twice.  And the Indianapolis Colts have now had the team longer than Baltimore did. Here's the history if you'd like to check: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_Colts

I don't disagree with the sentiment of the name sticking around, but that frankly is where the value is these days.  And what if St. Louis never gets another team?  (Right now, without significant expansion, it seems unlikely sadly).  When I think of St. Louis, I still think of the St. Louis Cardinals more than the Rams and always thought of the Rams as LA.  (And even Anaheim).  Bottom line is the owner or ownership group in part bought the name and that's not something I can see them forcing teams to give up.  But as we know Cleveland got to keep the Browns, as much because the new owners of the team preferred a new name rather than keep the Browns so the Ravens were born.  Indy has since become known as a major sports town beyond our teams but into other business like the NCAA HQ, Racing and the Combine etc.  With so many major and smaller Universities and Colleges surrounding Indy, it makes sense.  I wish we had a music and arts scene, but sports is where the REAL money is.  The Colts will be entering season 33 here in Indy.. the Baltimore identity has nearly faded away much like the original team name (Dallas Texans and Miami Seahawks, even the Dayton Triangles among others) as the original fans die off.   Such is life. 

The Ravens more than got even with 2 Super Bowl wins already.  Cleveland is back with its name but sadly it also remains a sad sack legacy past Jim Brown.  Indy saved the Colts from being taken over by the corrupt Baltimore government in a very unAmerican move.  We should all be glad that failed.  

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

First, I hadn't heard we were losing the Combine.  Our Super Bowl was voted the most loved host city of all time by countless polls and we likely will get another one (I think Irsay's trouble set us back, but eventually we'll get it again because everyone, the media, fans and NFL loved the experience. 

As for the Colts/Baltimore, you do realize that you guys took the Colts from another city right?  Not once, but twice.  And the Indianapolis Colts have now had the team longer than Baltimore did. Here's the history if you'd like to check: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_Colts

I don't disagree with the sentiment of the name sticking around, but that frankly is where the value is these days.  And what if St. Louis never gets another team?  (Right now, without significant expansion, it seems unlikely sadly).  When I think of St. Louis, I still think of the St. Louis Cardinals more than the Rams and always thought of the Rams as LA.  (And even Anaheim).  Bottom line is the owner or ownership group in part bought the name and that's not something I can see them forcing teams to give up.  But as we know Cleveland got to keep the Browns, as much because the new owners of the team preferred a new name rather than keep the Browns so the Ravens were born.  Indy has since become known as a major sports town beyond our teams but into other business like the NCAA HQ, Racing and the Combine etc.  With so many major and smaller Universities and Colleges surrounding Indy, it makes sense.  I wish we had a music and arts scene, but sports is where the REAL money is.  The Colts will be entering season 33 here in Indy.. the Baltimore identity has nearly faded away much like the original team name (Dallas Texans and Miami Seahawks, even the Dayton Triangles among others) as the original fans die off.   Such is life. 

The Ravens more than got even with 2 Super Bowl wins already.  Cleveland is back with its name but sadly it also remains a sad sack legacy past Jim Brown.  Indy saved the Colts from being taken over by the corrupt Baltimore government in a very unAmerican move.  We should all be glad that failed.  

Trust me JP, I know all about the Colts move. It's all good, and I've always felt bad about what happened to Cleveland. Certainly I'm happy we got the 2 Super Bowls, but part of me wishes we had gotten an expansion team and not taken the Browns. Even though they kept their name and history , I know it's been tough on them. 

As I told many of you, I am against eminent domain and acknowledge the Maryland and Baltimore politicians were inept. The thing to remember though ,was that the eminent domain deal was thrown in, when the Colts were already reported gone. It was a last ditch effort. I disagree the Baltimore Colts legacy has faded anymore than the Brooklyn Dodgers. Maybe the St Louis Cardinals faded, but Brooklyn and Baltimore were historic teams with many players in the Hall of Fame, and  historic Championship games that were Intregal to their leagues. The fact that they switched cities does not dim their deeds. Four Championships in thirty years makes them memorable, plus the historic 58 game and Super Bowl 3. The time the Colts spend in either city is irrelevant. The Colts are in the middle of a great run currently. 

As for the combine , I want it in Indy !!! You guys do a great job, and I like the tradition of it being there. It's a nice city, easy to get around in, and in the center of the country. I'm also fine with you guys getting a Super Bowl. You guys are good hosts. 

13 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

The problem is SW, is what will the stadium standard be, before these guys bolt. St Louis had a stadium deal in the works , but it couldn't touch the mega stadium/ complex that Kroenke is building in Inglewood. M & T Bank stadium or Lucas Oil are great stadiums, but in coming years may be antiquated by new NFL stadium standards. Where does it all end. These owners are also expert at getting around, or writing leases in their favor. Even if you fine them, in the future, the money be so obscene at a new mega stadium or market , they can still pay the fines and move. 

I have always remembered many years ago when an owner said" This isn't your team , your cities team, this is my team, my families team." This may be the truest thing an owner ever said , and applies to all, but the Packers. The fans and the city own the team ! 

I think after the Atlanta, Minnesota, and Los Angeles stadiums get finished we'll see the influx of new stadiums slow down.  Partly because most teams already have a relatively new stadium and partly because I believe people are going to start getting fed up for the NFL's B.S

24 minutes ago, peytonmanning18 said:

I think after the Atlanta, Minnesota, and Los Angeles stadiums get finished we'll see the influx of new stadiums slow down.  Partly because most teams already have a relatively new stadium and partly because I believe people are going to start getting fed up for the NFL's B.S

I hope this slows down, as it is painful. I wonder how many Ram's fans you will pull over ? 

As a St. Louis Rams fan count me in as a new Colts fan.  What Kroenke did to the city of St. Louis and all of the St. Louis Rams fans was despicable.  Goodell is equally to blame for this travesty.  I can't bring myself to follow the team as the LA Rams.  Go Colts!!

On January 13, 2016 at 8:17 PM, jvan1973 said:

Why did they leave the first time then? 

Apologies.....   this is going to be long,  but I hope to answer your question in a somewhat comprehensive way.

The Raiders left because they couldn't get a deal they liked and Oakland finally stepped up.

For the people who run the Coliseum,  there was little reason to step up to give the Raiders what they wanted.

For the fan, this was the Raiders game day experience.     

1.   Coliseum in a bad part of town.

2.    Little nearby parking and parking further away was (A) expensive and (B) not very safe to park and walk.

3.    Lousy location for tailgating.

4.    The team attracted a heavy LA gang fan base.   Black and Silver and White became gang colors.

5.    Lots and lots and lots of fights inside the coliseum during games.    If you're paying big prices and are bringing family,  who wants to deal with that?

6.    Poor security.

7.    The Coliseum,  even after a number of remodels and facelifts haas terrible sight lines for football.   The game was too far away.

8.    Tight seats.  Tights isles.   Lousy food and lousy restrooms.  

9.    Who wants to pay for expensive seats when the team stopped being good.   When the Raiders were good a ticket to their games was tough to come by.    But when David went crazy and the team started going down hill, the team sucked and fans lost interest.

10.   The team had almost zero community outreach short of Billboards that would say "Commitment to Excellence"      If the team is not connected to the community,  fans lose interest if there's nothing else to connect with.

The Rams left the Coliseum for those reasons and more...   the Coliseum was worse for the Rams then it was for the Raiders.   Much worse.    And then they moved to Anaheim (Disneyland)  about 30-40 miles away and they played in.......  a baseball stadium.    They played for a bad owners who ran the team badly.    St. Louis stealing the team from Anaheim wasn't hard.  

Los Angeles/Southern California has two MLB teams,  two NBA teams,  two NHL teams,  it used to have two NFL teams.     It has pro soccer and pro tennis and horse racing.    Oh, and it has USC and UCLA and all the other smaller colleges that play sports.    It's a hugely competitive market.    And did I forget to mention great weather almost year round?     The city will support two NFL teams.    But the teams have to be well round and connected to the community.     They've got to at least be competitive.     Los Angeles didn't so much as not support the Rams and Raiders as they were run by poor owners who left for the nearest and best buck they could find.

Who I feel worst for is all the people who are going to be losing jobs and money due to the move. No one thinks of the vendors selling at the game. All of the bars and business who will lose money to the team moving. These are the real losers. Kronke cares about one thing, and it is the bottom line. He has put a terrible product out there, and now the value of his team will sky rocket. Plus LA cannot support one team let alone two. The past should be a lesson, and I know they have a lot of other plans for the stadium, but too many teams and things to do. LA does not need two teams, and have been fine without any for the last 20 years.

7 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Who I feel worst for is all the people who are going to be losing jobs and money due to the move. No one thinks of the vendors selling at the game. All of the bars and business who will lose money to the team moving. These are the real losers. Kronke cares about one thing, and it is the bottom line. He has put a terrible product out there, and now the value of his team will sky rocket. Plus LA cannot support one team let alone two. The past should be a lesson, and I know they have a lot of other plans for the stadium, but too many teams and things to do. LA does not need two teams, and have been fine without any for the last 20 years.

All of his teams are awful.... Denver Nuggets, his hockey team, his soccer team etc... 

That new stadium and the 500 million he is paying the other owners for the right to move is no small thing.  They have already stolen the Combine and built FREE state of the art offices/studios/facilities for both the NFL Network AND NFL Films.  They will also hold the draft there in a specially built facility and become the defacto home of all NFL activities right out of the campus being built there.  They also plan to host/bid on the Olympics making that the key stadium for openings/closings as well as a long list of other major activities expected to go after LA Live and the former Kodak theater (Oscars) for bigger and more.  They also expect it to be a regular host of the Super Bowl much the same way Indy is a regular host of the Final Four.  So good luck in smaller markets ever getting Super Bowls again with LA likely getting one out of 4.   I saw a sliver of the video presentation for the new facility and it's mind blowing.  It takes all these recent new stadiums and ups the game 2 notches.  It will quickly overcome Jerry World as the greatest North American facility for sports and entertainment.  Game over for anyone in their way.  

21 hours ago, tag60 said:

As a St. Louis Rams fan count me in as a new Colts fan.  What Kroenke did to the city of St. Louis and all of the St. Louis Rams fans was despicable.  Goodell is equally to blame for this travesty.  I can't bring myself to follow the team as the LA Rams.  Go Colts!!

I really feel bad for you. I know exactly how you guys feel out there. Kroenke is Bob Irsay and Goodell is Taglibue. That being said, Indy is a good fan base and has friendly fans. The organization is solid, and the logos and uniforms are cool. If you have to go somewhere, not a bad place to go. Do you guys think I should tweet about welcoming the St Louis people to the Ravens. I want to get to them before AM Football and Viriludent attempt to get them to join the Evil Empire ! Lol