Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay Has High Hopes For Denzelle Good

krunk

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

More likely than not the first round talent will perform better than the 7th round talent. Did you see any Collins clips this year?

Perhaps so, in fact, that might be the most likely prediction.  Nevertheless, though, if you want to forget about the extenuating circumstances surrounding a guy that went un-drafted by every team in the league, instead comparing him with an actual draft selection, theorizing that "they could have drafted ... <insert name of UDFA>", then it would be more fair to do that unfounded comparison after several years time, for it is too early to definitely say one way or the other who turned out to be the better player, even though so far you might think it clear.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

"Protect 12"

If that wasn't written on his desk then I wouldn't hold it against him. But it was, and he didn't, and we got to suffer through this season and watch the playoffs from home.

The issue is much deeper than Collins. Stop fixating on one decision that every other GM in the league made. 

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Irsay: "We think we’ve found a good one in (LT) Denzelle Good. 7th-round pick from unproven school is going to prove to be quite the pick."

— Gregg Doyel (@GreggDoyelStar)

January 10, 2016
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/1/11/10749688/jim-irsay-has-high-hopes-for-colts-right-tackle-denzelle-good

Interesting......

The few times I saw Denzelle Good I had a two word thought........

Revolving Door........

1 hour ago, Mameluc said:

Na Irsay was pretty obvious. Look at his interview you can cement we gonna draft at least 1 probably 2 OL this draft. Which i hate, not because i dont think we need C and RG, but because the defense has soooo little talent, 0 talent to develop and so many holes. And having to use 2 picks because "OMG WE ARE GETTING LUCK KILLED WE HAVE THE WORST LINE EVER "(thx media) when the reality is that there are like a vast majority of teams needing OL help badly. We got 3 QB's hurt but they all weere hurt on scrambles. 

and im not advocating status quo, the OL needs help but i just hate using 2 3 picks on a single position instead of helping the whole Defense, i am hoping we pick up a C/RG/T on FA so we dont have to use all our draft ammo on OL 

I can live with that. Rookie OLineman probably won't contribute much right away anyway. One stud OL in draft and a couple GOOD FA and trade.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

100% correct. Then we wouldn't have to spend big money on a free agent guard or spend a draft pick on one. Collins is on his way to being one of the best guards in the NFL. I cant stand the way Grigson overlooks players like Collins because of this or that. And Collins hadn't even done anything and IMO that was pretty obvious. We are absolutely dumb for not drafting him in the 6th or 7th round.

If it was obvious,  he wouldn't have been questioned by police.

It was obvious to NO ONE.    That's why all 32 teams didn't touch him.

You simply refuse to understand what is clear to most everyone here.     The fans of all 32 teams could be saying the exact same thing.      The fact that Collins was passed 256 times should tell you what you need to know.

Of all the things to be blaming Ryan Grigson for,  not drafting La'el Collins ISN'T ONE OF THEM.

Get over it......

1 hour ago, Mameluc said:

Na Irsay was pretty obvious. Look at his interview you can cement we gonna draft at least 1 probably 2 OL this draft. Which i hate, not because i dont think we need C and RG, but because the defense has soooo little talent, 0 talent to develop and so many holes. And having to use 2 picks because "OMG WE ARE GETTING LUCK KILLED WE HAVE THE WORST LINE EVER "(thx media) when the reality is that there are like a vast majority of teams needing OL help badly. We got 3 QB's hurt but they all weere hurt on scrambles. 

and im not advocating status quo, the OL needs help but i just hate using 2 3 picks on a single position instead of helping the whole Defense, i am hoping we pick up a C/RG/T on FA so we dont have to use all our draft ammo on OL 

just read this again...

Im not advocating getting  anew RG T and C on FA ...just one

3 hours ago, crazyrob said:

And then La'el would sit out a year to get back into the draft in 2016.  Instead the Colts didn't draft him but pursued him as a UDFA.  That was the right strategy.

He would have never done that. That was a clear bluff. With that said, crying about not drafting him is completely *ic.

4 hours ago, bababooey said:

That pick could have been La'el Collins...

3 hours ago, bababooey said:

More likely than not the first round talent will perform better than the 7th round talent. Did you see any Collins clips this year?

Get the hell over it. Nobody drafted him and there's a reason for that. In hindsight, every team would have drafted him at some point in the draft likely very early.

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If it was obvious,  he wouldn't have been questioned by police.

It was obvious to NO ONE.    That's why all 32 teams didn't touch him.

You simply refuse to understand what is clear to most everyone here.     The fans of all 32 teams could be saying the exact same thing.      The fact that Collins was passed 256 times should tell you what you need to know.

Of all the things to be blaming Ryan Grigson for,  not drafting La'el Collins ISN'T ONE OF THEM.

Get over it......

Its just the way things are now man. I mean teams are scared to death to touch a guy with any type of past. It don't matter if a kid was in a convenient store while it gets robbed. They would assume he was involved and not draft him. Teams are scared it'll hurt their image and make them look bad. And guys like Collins who was completely innocent get hurt in the process. You shouldn't assume someone's guilty. If there was evidence pointing to him then yeah, teams should have passed on him, but there wasn't. I remember reading police said he was not a suspect. He was worth a 6th or 7th round pick. But its over and done with. You're right.

I genuinely can't believe that the Collins discussion is still ongoing.

Either he was bluffing and every single front office made the same mistake or he wouldn't have played for us even if we'd picked him.

Either way there's nothing to see here and no criticism can be pointed at the Colts that doesn't also apply to the other 31 teams. If we made a mistake there was clearly good reason for it.

58 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Get the hell over it. Nobody drafted him and there's a reason for that. In hindsight, every team would have drafted him at some point in the draft likely very early.

The reason is they were chicken %s.  It had more to do with ray rice.....and that is sad.

1 hour ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Nobody else needed him as bad as us to deal with the headache that resulted from the most infamous NFL offseason of our lives thus far.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Its just the way things are now man. I mean teams are scared to death to touch a guy with any type of past. It don't matter if a kid was in a convenient store while it gets robbed. They would assume he was involved and not draft him. Teams are scared it'll hurt their image and make them look bad. And guys like Collins who was completely innocent get hurt in the process. You shouldn't assume someone's guilty. If there was evidence pointing to him then yeah, teams should have passed on him, but there wasn't. I remember reading police said he was not a suspect. He was worth a 6th or 7th round pick. But its over and done with. You're right.

For whatever it's worth,  Police are legally allowed to say anything -- absolutely anything.    They can say "he's not a suspect"  even if he's secretly he's the PRIMARY SUSPECT.      The Supreme Court has held that is legal.

As to your first few sentences, I agree...   And I wrote those same sentiments dozens of times back in May and June and July when people were screaming about Collins.      It sucks for him.     He got screwed and it cost him millions.     Literally millions.

But all 32 teams were scared off.    I'm sure the NFL used a heavy hand in things like this.....   if someone had drafted Collins and he had killed the woman and child it would have been a HUGE black-eye for the NFL.

Everyone got cold feet.

Sucks for everyone except Dallas.

54 minutes ago, krunk said:

That was mainly that Jags game but it's expected a time or two

I didn't think he was a good pass blocker,   and I thought he was an even worse run blocker.

I'd love to know how he graded out?

To be clear,  I'm not saying he'll never be good -- far from that.

Only that I didn't think he was all that in 2015.

He might be much better in 2016 and 17 and so on....

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I didn't think he was a good pass blocker,   and I thought he was an even worse run blocker.

I'd love to know how he graded out?

Maybe you didn't pay close enough attention.  Good graded out positive in every game except that Jacksonville game.  I don't know what the grades were against Tennessee.  Pittsburgh and Tampa were positive.  He let up maybe one pressure of substance vs Tampa, but some people were frowning on him about the penalties which he fixed going forward.  He had a pancake block in the run game vs Tampa.  He wasn't bad pass blocking in any game other than the Jacksonville game.  I don't know about the grades from Tennessee because I didn't watch the game. 

I think some of the others on here who feel like they are gurus and what not may have harsher opinions, but I think it's too harsh knowing where the guy came from.  I just try to envision what the guy can be with some coaching and another off season.  I xpected him to make some mistakes, but most of the time to me he held is own.  The worst game was Jacksonville by far. He got whipped in that game, but you figure that was going to happen at some point. It still wasn't as bad as some of the other whippings I've seen put on young guys entering the leauge.  I still remember when Winston Justice came in the league from USC and got whipped by the Giants front I believe for 4 to 7 sacks in one game.

3 hours ago, Mameluc said:

Clayton Geathers, David Parry, Henry Anderson, D'Joun Smith all drafted last year, all talent to develop. 

We really need offensive line help. Badly. We have a handful of decent MLBs (Irving, Moore, Freeman) and even though there's a lot of hate for Toler, there aren't too many better replacements out there right now unless we either overspend or develop a youngster.

7 minutes ago, Dark_Indy said:

Clayton Geathers, David Parry, Henry Anderson, D'Joun Smith all drafted last year, all talent to develop. 

We really need offensive line help. Badly. We have a handful of decent MLBs (Irving, Moore, Freeman) and even though there's a lot of hate for Toler, there aren't too many better replacements out there right now unless we either overspend or develop a youngster.

I vote overspend. I can't stomach the word "Toler"

31 minutes ago, Dark_Indy said:

LOL. Toler's pretty bad bro. And unless we want to continue to have a below average defense we have to upgrade. Like a big upgrade. We have plenty of cap room to sign 2-3 really good players this offseason. And unless we intend on using our 1st rounder on a corner we'll have to spend money on a guy like Sean Smith, Janorris Jenkins, Casey Hayward, Trumaine Johnson, etc.  To get something good you gotta pay a pretty penny brother.

3 hours ago, Larry Horseman said:

The issue is much deeper than Collins. Stop fixating on one decision that every other GM in the league made. 

It is much deeper than collins, which is exactly why you shouldn't shy away from a 22 year old making demands. Why is it that we are closing off groups of prospects because he has baggage, and basically turn around and let him call the shots?  Do any of you have any "chips" at all? It's a SEVENTH round pick!

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

We're better off signing a guard and drafting D. Except I'd get our Center in the 2nd round.

I am with you. We need D. We have no pass rush LB's need upgrading and the back end need CB 2 and Adams isn't getting younger. We just need depth. We lose a lot when a starter goes down. I would love to see every pick used on D. 

I think we need to get our C in FA. We can't miss on that position again or live through more rookie mistakes. It's the biggest problem with the team. IMO followed closely by pass rush and #2 CB. Your weak link can't be at the point of attack. 

I'd like to sign Wisnewski or Jones. They are 26 & 25. A real C who can block and stay on the field would really stabalize our O Line. Holmes is horrible and he's the leader of that group. How we went into the year counting on him again is beyond me. History will teach you if you let it. 

Grigs knows the weak link. He's feeling the heat needs to make a splash. I think he goes and gets Mack when he opts out. I can live with that. A good C makes Mewhort and Thornton better. A pro bowl C all the better.

In the draft I would take a guy like Marz from Wisconsin. He played LT in college will move to RT or G. We can get him in the 3rd. I would let him challenge Reitz. He should win the job.  I'm not sold on Good as anything but a back up right now. 

I hope we get a G in FA too. I don't think Osemele is happening. I'd like to get Jeff Allen from KC. He's a former 2nd round pick has played both G spots and RT. KC has a lot of mouths to feed. I think he was in Reid's dog house earlier in the year. He could push Thorton, Mewhort, for the G spot. 

That would give us a lot of depth with so many guys being able to play G or T. 

Our OL would be Castonzo Mewhort Mack Allen Marz. We would have Reitz back as first man up. Thornton would be great off the bench. It's too bad he can't stay healthy. He could be a starter. You can't depend on him. 

Good would still be around learning. Maybe Heenan finishes the roster off if he can play C too. I thought last year they were saying he could play C. If not I'd go Harrison. No more Holmes or Louis. 

That would be a good O Line with depth. We only make 3 moves. Mack will cost but I think Grig's wants it. Allen should be reasonable and a 3rd round pick for Marz.

You could go later on Slater RT SDSU. If they are sold on Good and just want a G to challenge Thorton. You can find that early day 3. I'd look at Feeney or Dahl. I for one hope we aren't penciling Good in at RT next year. 

42 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I am with you. We need D. We have no pass rush LB's need upgrading and the back end need CB 2 and Adams isn't getting younger. We just need depth. We lose a lot when a starter goes down. I would love to see every pick used on D. 

I think we need to get our C in FA. We can't miss on that position again or live through more rookie mistakes. It's the biggest problem with the team. IMO followed closely by pass rush and #2 CB. Your weak link can't be at the point of attack. 

I'd like to sign Wisnewski or Jones. They are 26 & 25. A real C who can block and stay on the field would really stabalize our O Line. Holmes is horrible and he's the leader of that group. How we went into the year counting on him again is beyond me. History will teach you if you let it. 

Grigs knows the weak link. He's feeling the heat needs to make a splash. I think he goes and gets Mack when he opts out. I can live with that. A good C makes Mewhort and Thornton better. A pro bowl C all the better.

In the draft I would take a guy like Marz from Wisconsin. He played LT in college will move to RT or G. We can get him in the 3rd. I would let him challenge Reitz. He should win the job.  I'm not sold on Good as anything but a back up right now. 

I hope we get a G in FA too. I don't think Osemele is happening. I'd like to get Jeff Allen from KC. He's a former 2nd round pick has played both G spots and RT. KC has a lot of mouths to feed. I think he was in Reid's dog house earlier in the year. He could push Thorton, Mewhort, for the G spot. 

That would give us a lot of depth with so many guys being able to play G or T. 

Our OL would be Castonzo Mewhort Mack Allen Marz. We would have Reitz back as first man up. Thornton would be great off the bench. It's too bad he can't stay healthy. He could be a starter. You can't depend on him. 

Good would still be around learning. Maybe Heenan finishes the roster off if he can play C too. I thought last year they were saying he could play C. If not I'd go Harrison. No more Holmes or Louis. 

That would be a good O Line with depth. We only make 3 moves. Mack will cost but I think Grig's wants it. Allen should be reasonable and a 3rd round pick for Marz.

You could go later on Slater RT SDSU. If they are sold on Good and just want a G to challenge Thorton. You can find that early day 3. I'd look at Feeney or Dahl. I for one hope we aren't penciling Good in at RT next year. 

Most likely we'll bring in a new Guard and Center. Then let Good and Reitz battle it out for RT. 

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No, he wasn't.  Its better for a player to go UDFA than to get drafted in the 7th.  He can get bid on from several teams, raising his guaranteed money, and he can go to the team of his choosing.

In theory yes it is. But then the player loses a year, money, could get into trouble, out of shape. He was bluffing.

35 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What a great signing by Grigson.  Shows what a competent GM he is, and how a bunch of maroon's populate this forum.

This thread is killing two birds with one stone...

You just called other people maroons after saying grigson was a competent GM....

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I wonder what he did

As someone else said earlier, it was academics.  But supposedly because he had issues getting to classes...

He explains about five questions into the article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/14995/from-n-c-state-to-mars-hill-university-to-starting-in-the-nfl-for-denzelle-good

6 hours ago, Mameluc said:

were they scrambles or qbs running for their lives? could it be they were running because protection broke down?

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Maybe you didn't pay close enough attention.  Good graded out positive in every game except that Jacksonville game.  I don't know what the grades were against Tennessee.  Pittsburgh and Tampa were positive.  He let up maybe one pressure of substance vs Tampa, but some people were frowning on him about the penalties which he fixed going forward.  He had a pancake block in the run game vs Tampa.  He wasn't bad pass blocking in any game other than the Jacksonville game.  I don't know about the grades from Tennessee because I didn't watch the game. 

I think some of the others on here who feel like they are gurus and what not may have harsher opinions, but I think it's too harsh knowing where the guy came from.  I just try to envision what the guy can be with some coaching and another off season.  I xpected him to make some mistakes, but most of the time to me he held is own.  The worst game was Jacksonville by far. He got whipped in that game, but you figure that was going to happen at some point. It still wasn't as bad as some of the other whippings I've seen put on young guys entering the leauge.  I still remember when Winston Justice came in the league from USC and got whipped by the Giants front I believe for 4 to 7 sacks in one game.

OK....   I've read the story on Stampede Blue and I read the tweets.

And, unless I missed something no where does it state that he had positive grades in ANY GAME.    All it says is that Irsay thinks he's got upside and is the future at RT.      And he may be right.    Maybe he is the future.   Entirely possible.

But there was no mention of grades anywhere.     There were no stats to support the idea that he's got a good future.

If I'm wrong,  can you point me to what I missed -- because I missed it in the link in this thread.

One last point:    I've defended Good since he was drafted.   He may have graduated from Mars Hill,  but he started at North Carolina State.    He's got raw talent. 

And, as I've said in this thread,  he may have a very high upside for his future.  Also,  I'm not an expert at viewing tape.    But I have a little experience doing it.   I go by my eye-ball test.    Is he doing a good job when I look at him.   Is the team doing well in the areas that relate to him?   Pass Blocking and run blocking.   Is there anything that I as a fan can point to?     And, other than the word of Jim Irsay,   I don't know why Good has a bright future other than his raw talent......

6 hours ago, Gavin said:

It wasn't for a lack of trying. Your also ignoring that Luck has had a hand in a number of those hits/sacks over the years do to his hitching and hanging onto the ball. Yes Grigson has made some bad O Line moves (Louis. Satele. Mcglynn)

Trying and failing is about as bad as not trying for a GM.   Protect #12 was Irsay's task for Grigson following 2012 and I think it's safe to say Grigson has not succeeded.

47 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

Trying and failing is about as bad as not trying for a GM.   Protect #12 was Irsay's task for Grigson following 2012 and I think it's safe to say Grigson has not succeeded.

I think you missed the statement I made quite a while back that Grigson was not a good judge of O Line talent which I got called out for. I don't remember exactly when I posted that but its been at least a year now I think or so. I've been more then critical of Grigson (and his scouts) ability to judge O Line talent and rightfully so despite the success of Mewhort . What many people fail to acknowledge is that Luck has had a hand in many of the hits he takes because he hangs onto the ball a lot (with the exception of the Denver game).

Also while some people want to complain we cant run the ball well we do not make much of an effort to run the ball period.....396 attempts is 21st in the league...59 of those were QB scrambles....So yeah Grigson has got to get it together with the O Line (particularly Center) we need to be more committed to the run...and to do that Luck has to take care of the football. It all ties together

2 hours ago, Blue Preying Mathis said:

As someone else said earlier, it was academics.  But supposedly because he had issues getting to classes...

He explains about five questions into the article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/14995/from-n-c-state-to-mars-hill-university-to-starting-in-the-nfl-for-denzelle-good

5 hours ago, coltsva said:

Article on Good in Gaffney Ledger (his hometown newspaper) quotes him saying academic reasons. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK....   I've read the story on Stampede Blue and I read the tweets.

And, unless I missed something no where does it state that he had positive grades in ANY GAME.    All it says is that Irsay thinks he's got upside and is the future at RT.      And he may be right.    Maybe he is the future.   Entirely possible.

But there was no mention of grades anywhere.     There were no stats to support the idea that he's got a good future.

If I'm wrong,  can you point me to what I missed -- because I missed it in the link in this thread.

One last point:    I've defended Good since he was drafted.   He may have graduated from Mars Hill,  but he started at North Carolina State.    He's got raw talent. 

And, as I've said in this thread,  he may have a very high upside for his future.  Also,  I'm not an expert at viewing tape.    But I have a little experience doing it.   I go by my eye-ball test.    Is he doing a good job when I look at him.   Is the team doing well in the areas that relate to him?   Pass Blocking and run blocking.   Is there anything that I as a fan can point to?     And, other than the word of Jim Irsay,   I don't know why Good has a bright future other than his raw talent......

The grades came from PFF after the individual games were played.  That's the only "grades" I thought you were pointing to.  Why would you be looking to Stampede Blue for Grades?.  They are not known for doing that.  I'd give good weight to Irsays comments as he sees the practices, the work that's put in along with his dealings with the coaching staff.  And what did Irsay really say other than he thinks they picked up a good player?  I don't think he made any earth shaking comments other than giving the idea that he likes where things are going with him.  Everybodys "eyball" sees things differently so to you be your way.  As for me I think I saw enough to believe with some work and refinement he could be a pretty solid right tackle.  He's not there yet, but I believe he'll get there soon.

Top performers:

NT Zach Kerr (+3.1)
LB Sio Moore (+1.8)
S Dwight Lowery (+1.8)
LG Jack Mewhort (+1.7)
RT Denzelle Good (+1.5)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/12/07/ind-pit-grades-steelers-blow-out-colts/

This was against a team that blitzes nearly 50 percent of the time mind you. Not bad for a guy coming from Mars Hill.

I'll post the Ind vs Tampa Bay one when I find it along with Ind vs Titans

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

The grades came from PFF after the individual games were played.  That's the only "grades" I thought you were pointing to.  Why would you be looking to Stampede Blue for Grades?.  They are not known for doing that.  I'd give good weight to Irsays comments as he sees the practices, the work that's put in along with his dealings with the coaching staff.  And what did Irsay really say other than he thinks they picked up a good player?  I don't think he made any earth shaking comments other than giving the idea that he likes where things are going with him.  Everybodys "eyball" sees things differently so to you be your way.  As for me I think I saw enough to believe with some work and refinement he could be a pretty solid right tackle.  He's not there yet, but I believe he'll get there soon.

I thought you were telling me that the story on Stampede Blue included the grades.

So, you're now telling me you subscribe to PFF?

Will you share what Good's grades were?        What was his season grade for pass blocking and run blocking?

\

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I thought you were telling me that the story on Stampede Blue included the grades.

So, you're now telling me you subscribe to PFF?

Will you share what Good's grades were?        What was his season grade for pass blocking and run blocking?

\

Those grades are public info. You can look that up yourself, and no I certainly am no big PFF fan in the least bit, but so many people on here use their info I'll reference it sometimes.  I just don't take it as complete Gospel like some others on this forum.