Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay Has High Hopes For Denzelle Good

krunk

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

Oh no, not a 7th round pick.  Whatever would we do if we lost that?

People are acting like wasting a 7th for the possibility of getting a top OL is the same as wasting a first round pick for a terrible RB. Grigson would have gotten Good right after the draft anyway had he not drafted him.

3 minutes ago, Mameluc said:

so that means we start next year with Castonzo Mewhort draft pick draftpick/FA Good?

Possibly. Remember last off season Griggs and paganism said no OL moves would be necessary. They liked their unit and all it needed was some continuity. Lots of people on this board agreed, some prominent contributors.

So irsays statement could mean pretty much the same.

Sounds like same old same old when it comes to the OL.

POOR Andrew, we need atleast 2 good strong backups for him.

12 minutes ago, bababooey said:

People are acting like wasting a 7th for the possibility of getting a top OL is the same as wasting a first round pick for a terrible RB. Grigson would have gotten Good right after the draft anyway had he not drafted him.

And even then, if you're not sure you're going to get both guys in FA, trade a future 7th or 6th so you get both guys.  A 7th round pick is not a high commodity by any standards.  When you're swapping ST and 3rd string guys for 7th round picks, you can use a 7th round on La'el Collins.  I'd call that bluff every time.  If I can't have him for cheap, I'm not letting a competitor get him for cheap.  He only hurts himself by sitting out a year (he was, at the time, still under investigation - I still don't know if he's been cleared but stopped caring when DAL signed him).

PS - LOL look what you did to this thread...

Just now, rockywoj said:

I will be very interested to look back in 5 years time to see who has had the better NFL career, Denzelle Good or La'el Collins.

More likely than not the first round talent will perform better than the 7th round talent. Did you see any Collins clips this year?

1 hour ago, crazyrob said:

And then La'el would sit out a year to get back into the draft in 2016.  Instead the Colts didn't draft him but pursued him as a UDFA.  That was the right strategy.

Actually no, it came out days before the draft that the League would not allow it as he'd already filed and gone thru the combine.

23 minutes ago, bababooey said:

More likely than not the first round talent will perform better than the 7th round talent. Did you see any Collins clips this year?

Look, every team in the NFL, even the Cowboys passed on Good in every round of the draft. 

You cannot hold this over Grigson's head. There are many legitimate things to complain about, but this isn't one. Leave it alone already. 

10 minutes ago, Larry Horseman said:

Look, every team in the NFL, even the Cowboys passed on Good in every round of the draft. 

You cannot hold this over Grigson's head. There are many legitimate things to complain about, but this isn't one. Leave it alone already. 

"Protect 12"

If that wasn't written on his desk then I wouldn't hold it against him. But it was, and he didn't, and we got to suffer through this season and watch the playoffs from home.

6 minutes ago, bababooey said:

"Protect 12"

If that wasn't written on his desk then I wouldn't hold it against him. But it was, and he didn't, and we got to suffer through this season and watch the playoffs from home.

It wasn't for a lack of trying. Your also ignoring that Luck has had a hand in a number of those hits/sacks over the years do to his hitching and hanging onto the ball. Yes Grigson has made some bad O Line moves (Louis. Satele. Mcglynn)

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

That pick could have been La'el Collins...

100% correct. Then we wouldn't have to spend big money on a free agent guard or spend a draft pick on one. Collins is on his way to being one of the best guards in the NFL. I cant stand the way Grigson overlooks players like Collins because of this or that. And Collins hadn't even done anything and IMO that was pretty obvious. We are absolutely dumb for not drafting him in the 6th or 7th round.

9 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

100% correct. Then we wouldn't have to spend big money on a free agent guard or spend a draft pick on one. Collins is on his way to being one of the best guards in the NFL. I cant stand the way Grigson overlooks players like Collins because of this or that. And Collins hadn't even done anything and IMO that was pretty obvious. We are absolutely dumb for not drafting him in the 6th or 7th round.

All 32 teams passed on Collins so stop wasting your breath. Grigson already informed you he did try to pursue Collins.  He did it in the same period everyone else did.  The guy(Collins) CHOSE the Cowboys.  Next Story Please

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Possibly. Remember last off season Griggs and paganism said no OL moves would be necessary. They liked their unit and all it needed was some continuity. Lots of people on this board agreed, some prominent contributors.

So irsays statement could mean pretty much the same.

Sounds like same old same old when it comes to the OL.

POOR Andrew, we need atleast 2 good strong backups for him.

Na Irsay was pretty obvious. Look at his interview you can cement we gonna draft at least 1 probably 2 OL this draft. Which i hate, not because i dont think we need C and RG, but because the defense has soooo little talent, 0 talent to develop and so many holes. And having to use 2 picks because "OMG WE ARE GETTING LUCK KILLED WE HAVE THE WORST LINE EVER "(thx media) when the reality is that there are like a vast majority of teams needing OL help badly. We got 3 QB's hurt but they all weere hurt on scrambles. 

and im not advocating status quo, the OL needs help but i just hate using 2 3 picks on a single position instead of helping the whole Defense, i am hoping we pick up a C/RG/T on FA so we dont have to use all our draft ammo on OL 

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

I still enjoyed this pick for the "Who???!" look on every analysts' face when it was announced.

Women are from Venus and Denzelle Good is from Mars Hill.

haha No one even knew the guy.  The fan who announced it said "...from Mars Hill", and the announcers were like "She meant Marshall...wait, no she didn't....wait, she did...."

I think Grigson will have a totally different approach in free agency this year. But LOL. In all seriousness If I were Andrew Luck I would have already went to him and been like "Hey I'm the franchise QB. If you don't get me an OL than can protect me I'm not re-signing" I would have been an *** about it. Especially after he's been injured because of this nonsense.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Bottom line is this:  we can't have the same O line, if we do, then I hope Andrew has a good life insurance policy.

Irsay agrees:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/1/11/10749688/jim-irsay-has-high-hopes-for-colts-right-tackle-denzelle-good

Irsay likes LT Castonzo, RG Mewhort, RT Good "but we have to be looking inside ... get another couple young offensive linemen, no question."

12 minutes ago, Mameluc said:

Na Irsay was pretty obvious. Look at his interview you can cement we gonna draft at least 1 probably 2 OL this draft. Which i hate, not because i dont think we need C and RG, but because the defense has soooo little talent, 0 talent to develop and so many holes. And having to use 2 picks because "OMG WE ARE GETTING LUCK KILLED WE HAVE THE WORST LINE EVER "(thx media) when the reality is that there are like a vast majority of teams needing OL help badly. We got 3 QB's hurt but they all weere hurt on scrambles. 

and im not advocating status quo, the OL needs help but i just hate using 2 3 picks on a single position instead of helping the whole Defense, i am hoping we pick up a C/RG/T on FA so we dont have to use all our draft ammo on OL 

We're better off signing a guard and drafting D. Except I'd get our Center in the 2nd round.

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

haha No one even knew the guy.  The fan who announced it said "...from Mars Hill", and the announcers were like "She meant Marshall...wait, no she didn't....wait, she did...."

I didn't know until just now he'd actually got into NC State then got kicked off the team for making a "big mistake".

4 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

We're better off signing a guard and drafting D. Except I'd get our Center in the 2nd round.

I wont come here and pretend that i know all about evaluating because i dont. Hell i dont know more than 5 names on this draft. But all i have read is that this year is deep and talented at the C position. Which is good because thats our biggest need at OL IMO. 

So i am aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalll for it. Go get Osemele and have Good Reitz battle the RT position. Reitz has shown he can hold the fort and Good is promising but not a reality. 

Go all in on defense on draft and get the C at the 3rd pick or something like that. I KNOW YOU DONT GO THINKING "OK 1ST ROUND WE GO PASS RUSH 2ND ROUND WE GO CB and 3RD WE GO C" is obviously about what talent is there but i think my point is undrestood,.

Another option would be to have Reitz move to RG and sign Shcwartz from the Browns.

4 minutes ago, Mameluc said:

I wont come here and pretend that i know all about evaluating because i dont. Hell i dont know more than 5 names on this draft. But all i have read is that this year is deep and talented at the C position. Which is good because thats our biggest need at OL IMO. 

So i am aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalll for it. Go get Osemele and have Good Reitz battle the RT position. Reitz has shown he can hold the fort and Good is promising but not a reality. 

Go all in on defense on draft and get the C at the 3rd pick or something like that. I KNOW YOU DONT GO THINKING "OK 1ST ROUND WE GO PASS RUSH 2ND ROUND WE GO CB and 3RD WE GO C" is obviously about what talent is there but i think my point is undrestood,.

If we sign Osemele and draft Nick Martin our offensive line will be very good IMO. Nick Martin will be a beast in pass protection and ok in run blocking. Plus he's a tough, hard nosed Indy kid.

25 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Nonsense.  Grigson has been more than willing to gamble on knuckleheads - Brazill, Rogers & Purifoy to name a few.  But he clearly has point where the risk does not outweigh the potential reward.  And at the time of the draft to say Collins had not done anything was dicey information at best.  There was a dead woman - no wonder the entire league passed on drafting him.

4 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Nonsense.  Grigson has been more than willing to gamble on knuckleheads - Brazill, Rogers & Purifoy to name a few.  But he clearly has point where the risk does not outweigh the potential reward.  And at the time of the draft to say Collins had not done anything was dicey information at best.  There was a dead woman - no wonder the entire league passed on drafting him.

Didn't the investigators say from the beginning he was not a suspect? I mean I've never been involved in a situation like that, but I would guess its standard procedure to interview the victims family, friends, and especially former boyfriends or husbands.

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Didn't the investigators say from the beginning he was not a suspect? I mean I've never been involved in a situation like that, but I would guess its standard procedure to interview the victims family, friends, and especially former boyfriends or husbands.

Don't recall the particulars but in a climate of coming off the Ray Rice & Adrian Peterson issues, it no surprise at all that everyone passed on Collins.  

complaining about him not being on the Colts now is Monday Morning Quarterbacking at its best.  Plus a whole lot of wasted energy / emotion.

15 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

You should really watch A&E's "The First 48". A person of interest or just friends and family can go from just that to a conviction in no time. The point is NOBODY knew how deep Collins was or was not involved in the murder and no team wanted that black eye on there franchise if things would have taken a turn and he wound up convicted of murder or aided in the murder so every team passed on him until they found out otherwise...Collins chose Dallas and it was not because Grigson did not pursuit him

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Actually no, it came out days before the draft that the League would not allow it as he'd already filed and gone thru the combine.

Actually...The league would not allow it if he had gone undrafted (which he did).  The only way he would be allowed to sit out is if he was drafted.  He could simply choose not to sign with the team that drafted him and then enter the 2016 draft.  Here's part of an SI article which includes a quote from Greg Aiello along with an example of Bo Jackson doing the exact same thing:

Another report, this time from ESPN's Adam Schefter, then had Collins's camp stating that the LSU product would not sign with a team if he were taken in Round 4 or later, thereby giving him a backdoor opportunity to join the 2016 draft. There is precedent for that sort of move, with Bo Jackson serving as the most famous example. Jackson refused to play for Tampa Bay after being picked No. 1 in 1986, so he wound up an Oakland draft choice in 1987 after the Buccaneers' claim to his rights expired.

But with Collins going undrafted, his football options have become severely limited.

"If he’s not drafted [at all]? He would be the same as any other player in this draft," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told The MMQB's Robert Klemko. "He becomes a free agent like any other undrafted player. You only go through one draft. If he’s drafted and sits out the year, he would go back into the 2016 draft."