Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting notes -- TCU QB, Trevone Boykin

If not for Doctson and Hunt, I probably wouldn't have watched much of Boykin. But I have, so I might as well chronicle my thoughts. After all, as the Mythbusters say: the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. So, here goes. I'm basically using these categories for grading QBs: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1632018-how-do-scouts-break-down-nfl-quarterback-prospects

Size: He's listed at 6'2", 205 pounds, which isn't good size to begin with, but I think that's a lie. He's six foot even, stretched out. Decent frame and build; not a Manziel-type body at all. Still very undersized. 1/5

Athleticism: Top notch athlete, can run by any defender, split any two defenders, finish runs soundly. He'll escape a pass rush, make defenders miss, and either fire down the field or take off and run (mostly for a big gain). Really good speed (maybe not elite), really good quickness (probably elite), excellent change of direction, good improvisation. Probably has good enough feet to play receiver. 5/5

Arm strength: He can spin it. He often throws from a poor platform, which I'll get to, but he can zip the ball around the field. Throws from multiple arm slots and off his back foot often, and still has plenty of velocity and drive on the ball. He can put it down the field also, and throws with power on the move. When he flicks his wrist, the ball can pop off of his hand nicely. Really no question about his arm strength. 8/10

Accuracy: No one cares about anything a QB does if he's not accurate, and Boykin is very inconsistent. A lot of this has to do with his poor footwork and mechanics, because there are plenty of plays where he ropes it right where it needs to go, between defenders. He can throw the ball accurately to every part of the field. He doesn't consistently. Often overthrows deep passes, underthrows comebacks, throws behind receivers on crossing routes, his balls sail from time to time, etc. When checking down, his ball placement is inconsistent (thank goodness he doesn't check down often). Gets bailed out by receivers who make big plays on the ball. 5/10

Mechanics: Poor mechanics, seems to be a function of being a plus athlete who hasn't ever developed the fundamentals of passing. Has sloppy footwork, leading to him throwing off of one foot, not transferring weight and driving the ball with his lower body, doesn't stay on the balls of his feet when throwing, never stays high to throw over the top. This isn't an issue of being under pressure; he rushes his delivery even with no pressure. Throwing motion is inconsistent, often throwing from different arm slots, and that's not to be blamed on feeling pressure in the pocket. Doesn't come over the top as a habit. Follow through isn't consistent due to poor footwork and balance. Handles the ball well on hand-offs and play action, and has big, strong hands that control the ball well. 4/10

Vision/awareness/anticipation: TCU somehow runs an offense without a playbook (not really, they just say they do). Plays in two-read offense with no huddles, and isn't asked to audible or adjust protections. His second read is often to take off with the ball. Some of their passing concepts allow Boykin to identify coverage and make decisions after the snap, and he does a reasonable job of holding the safety and throwing back to the outside, although it's deliberate and not a function of actual progression-based passing. His timing is mostly based on the structure of the offense, which is fine, but if he has to throw from a noisy pocket or on the run, his fundamentals break down and he'll make mistakes, often not seeing defenders. His response to anticipating pressure is to run. Put him in a 2012 read option system and he's a playmaker; ask him to stay in the pocket and go through progressions, and it's a disaster. 5/10

Pocket presence: Substandard in the pocket; when pressure comes, he goes. He allows coming pressure to affect his footwork, and rather than stepping up and delivering, he'll fade back and throw off his back foot or from an otherwise compromised platform, even when the pressure is nowhere near him. He'll escape pressure with no problem, but he won't navigate a pocket, step up and make a sound throw. 3/10

Poise/leadership: Teammates seem to rally around him, he plays well in tight game situations, doesn't shy away from throwing tough passes in any game situation. Fights for extra yardage and gains confidence of his teammates. I'm knocking him here for his arrest, but only because he's a QB. 3/5

Overall: 34/66, 52%, late round pick; he's like a Geno Smith / Michael Vick clone, without Smith's size and without Vick's elite explosiveness, but with the fundamental passing flaws of both combined; his arrest makes things muddy, but no one would be drafting him to compete at QB right now anyways

Scheme fit: Zero. Won't be a Colt QB unless... he just won't. 

Raw, flawed passer, really good athlete, high level performer, but not an NFL QB. And yet, some QB-thirsty franchise is going to take a chance on him. 

Niners are QB thirsty as well.

I think a team will take him as a backup late in the draft. I didn't mean someone would draft him to be their QB right away. The Packers took Brett Hundley in the fifth round, I could see a team doing something like that. Washington, Chicago, Miami, Houston, Cleveland, San Diego, LA(!), etc., etc. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Niners are QB thirsty as well.

I think a team will take him as a backup late in the draft. I didn't mean someone would draft him to be their QB right away. The Packers took Brett Hundley in the fifth round, I could see a team doing something like that. Washington, Chicago, Miami, Houston, Cleveland, San Diego, LA(!), etc., etc. 

I'd take him in the 6th if he was available.