Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam Newton's Son's Name is Chosen

18Manning

It's a free world (at least where I live), so name your child what you want. But, naming your child Chosen, IMO, is akin to naming your child Jesus Christ or The Messiah. I don't care how non-arrogant Newton is off the field as many have suggested. This is yet another point suggesting this guy is as arrogant as they come. Again, name your child what you want, but I don't know how anyone can suggest this guy is not full of himself.

54 minutes ago, 18Manning said:

It's a free world (at least where I live), so name your child what you want. But, naming your child Chosen, IMO, is akin to naming your child Jesus Christ or The Messiah. I don't care how non-arrogant Newton is off the field as many have suggested. This is yet another point suggesting this guy is as arrogant as they come. Again, name your child what you want, but I don't know how anyone can suggest this guy is not full of himself.

It is common in Spanish speaking nations to name children "Jesus".  My tour guide when I was in Spain was named Jesus.

Why the nitpicking on this stuff at times? What he names his child is his own business and he can name him whatever he wants. Just like if he ever wants to dance it up on the field he isn't hurting anyone either.

BTW "Chosen" is not the same as "Chosen One".......

I don't think he is calling his kid Jesus Christ so relax.

26 minutes ago, Shane Bond said:

A lot better than "Dick". I never understood that name.

Richard ---> Rick which rhymes with Dick, same as Robert ---> Rob which rhymes with Bob. Rhyming nicknames were popular in medieval England and it just stuck. To the point that Dick was such a generic name for a man you get the "any Tom, Dick or Harry" expression. 

16 minutes ago, Jules said:

Why the nitpicking on this stuff at times? What he names his child is his own business and he can name him whatever he wants. Just like if he ever wants to dance it up on the field he isn't hurting anyone either.

BTW "Chosen" is not the same as "Chosen One".......

I don't think he is calling his kid Jesus Christ so relax.

As I stated, he has the right to name his child what he wants, I was only expressing my personal opinion of his choice. And of course, he can dance it up on the field, pretend he's Superman, point his finger up in the "1" gesture (I know that's his jersey number, but most would agree that's not what he's referring to), etc. Personally, I prefer a more humble person. Those are attributes of an arrogant person. Arrogance isn't something looked upon positively by most. Also, Chosen isn't the same as Chosen One, but it's easy enough to at least think that's where he's going with the name. There's not one thing about Cam Newton that suggests any sort of humility, a positive character by most accounts.

7 minutes ago, 18Manning said:

As I stated, he has the right to name his child what he wants, I was only expressing my personal opinion of his choice. And of course, he can dance it up on the field, pretend he's Superman, point his finger up in the "1" gesture (I know that's his jersey number, but most would agree that's not what he's referring to), etc. Personally, I prefer a more humble person. Those are attributes of an arrogant person. Arrogance isn't something looked upon positively by most. Also, Chosen isn't the same as Chosen One, but it's easy enough to at least think that's where he's going with the name. There's not one thing about Cam Newton that suggests any sort of humility, a positive character by most accounts.

I have relatives from South Carolina who criticize Cam for no reason at all and it makes no sense to me since they should be thrilled to have such a good team and a good young QB as Panthers fans. Instead they prefer to nitpick every little thing on him and sometimes yes they can sound borderline racist too with comments they have made to me on him. I can get on edge at times with the Cam nitpicking I hear offline and it can spread to me online since I hear this a lot every year from my relatives. 

We should just enjoy the fact that we have such a good young QB to watch and enjoy who also has confidence and by all accounts from what I hear is also a good person and teammate.  He is clearly confident in himself but thats not a crime, he at least has fun with life and isn't breaking any rules.

Guys like Cam are the future just like Luck is. 

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

Richard ---> Rick which rhymes with Dick, same as Robert ---> Rob which rhymes with Bob. Rhyming nicknames were popular in medieval England and it just stuck. To the point that Dick was such a generic name for a man you get the "any Tom, Dick or Harry" expression. 

I know.

I have seen a few name it as it is.

28 minutes ago, chad hugo said:

He said it had something to do with not putting pressure on his son.

I guess naming him Chosen really isn't putting any pressure...

c'mon man ! 

LOL, as one article I read suggested...someone asked "Who are you"? He would say "I am Chosen". You can see where it goes from there.

It seems alot of those in the limelight  try to see who can outdo each other by  coming up with the most bizarre names.   Doesn't bother me, but it may bother their children.   :dunno:

Our daughter still complains that she could never find things with her name on it when we were on vacations and the boys ALWAYS found their names....    btw,  she doesn't have a weird name, it's just the spelling of Lindsay was more popular back then  than Lindsey.

haha