Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If We Could Only Re-Sign One....

BuildtheMonster1285

My heart agrees with you, but my head says Mathis.

I agree with this too. Pass rushers of the elite kind (the DE kind) are harder to find even if you draft them periodically. It takes a lot of time for a pass rusher coming out of college to contribute at a high level vs NFL caliber O-linemen, that is a key reason. Most of them have 1 or 2 moves at best and the game can be too fast for them for a while. WRs and RBs can contribute quicker from the draft than D-linemen in general, hence we HAVE to keep Mathis.

I am asking this hypothetically, if Indy was only able to sign one or the other, either Wayne or Mathis, who would you want them to re-sign?

I think my choice would be Wayne

Mathis no question. You can never have enough pass rushers. Just ask the Giants. Plus Wayne has lost a step in speed and separation from DBs.

If "made plays" equates to being invisible, then yeah, he's made plays.

well i remember the sack he made on freeman and that other play he made mjd when he came out of no where and made the tackle. not saying the kid has made a lot of plays, but he has made some when hes given the chance to be on the field.

well i remember the sack he made on freeman and that other play he made mjd when he came out of no where and made the tackle. not saying the kid has made a lot of plays, but he has made some when hes given the chance to be on the field.

Two plays, I stand corrected. Well, that seems like a good enough resume to fill Mathis' shoes.

well its not like hes on the field that much to make a lot of plays.

Right, because he's shown a total lack of abilities. Anyone who thinks Hughes can fill Mathis' shoes is completely joking themselves.

I would love for Hughes to have 15 sacks next season, I've watched him hoping he would show me something, anything, but he hasn't. He has one sack and it was a broken play. He just seems heartless out there.

Right, because he's shown a total lack of abilities. Anyone who thinks Hughes can fill Mathis' shoes is completely joking themselves.

I would love for Hughes to have 15 sacks next season, I've watched him hoping he would show me something, anything, but he hasn't. He has one sack and it was a broken play. He just seems heartless out there.

i just believe if given the chance, hughes will show us why we took him in the first round. remember mathis didnt do anything his first couple years in the league noted he was a 5th round pick, but its to keep in mind that it takes time for DEs to get good. there all not like freeney.

i just believe if given the chance, hughes will show us why we took him in the first round. remember mathis didnt do anything his first couple years in the league noted he was a 5th round pick, but its to keep in mind that it takes time for DEs to get good. there all not like freeney.

Mathis had 3.5 sacks his first season and 10.5 his second for a grand total of 14 sacks so that's a really bad example. Even if he was a late bloomer, he still should have shown some flashes here and there, I don't think we have seen many, if any. At least Donald Brown would gives us a long run or a good game to keep us on the fense, what has Jerry done?

Mathis had 3.5 sacks his first season and 10.5 his second for a grand total of 14 sacks so that's a really bad example. Even if he was a late bloomer, he still should have shown some flashes here and there, I don't think we have seen many, if any. At least Donald Brown would gives us a long run or a good game to keep us on the fense, what has Jerry done?

brown gets like 10-15 touches what does jerry get two snaps a game if hes lucky

brown gets like 10-15 touches what does jerry get two snaps a game if hes lucky

Yes, again, because he's terrible, even when he's on the field he's invisible. I would love for nothing more than for him to prove me wrong, but he has been an absolute bust for us up to this point and if you can't admit that than there is nothing more that can be said. We didn't draft Jerry hoping he would be good 3 years down the road BP wanted someone who could give Freeney and Mathis a rest right off the bat and do well, Hughes has not done that at all. Mario Addison was signed off the street and seemingly had more playing time than Hughes instantly, that's pretty bad.

I agree with this too. Pass rushers of the elite kind (the DE kind) are harder to find even if you draft them periodically. It takes a lot of time for a pass rusher coming out of college to contribute at a high level vs NFL caliber O-linemen, that is a key reason. Most of them have 1 or 2 moves at best and the game can be too fast for them for a while. WRs and RBs can contribute quicker from the draft than D-linemen in general, hence we HAVE to keep Mathis.

You hit it on the head. Mathis for sure. Talented DE's are a rare breed. Dependable WR's are not (so long as the QB is decent).

I am asking this hypothetically, if Indy was only able to sign one or the other, either Wayne or Mathis, who would you want them to re-sign?

I think my choice would be Wayne

If only one.....Mathis

...we are deep at the WR position...and Manning can make average WRs into 75-catch guys..

We cant replace Mathis with a player (already on the roster) of his speed and experience..

This is tough because they are both so great but I would go with Mathis.

Without Reggie and assuming Manning comes back, this is still a very good offense.

Mathis on the other hand is all we have opposite of Freeney.