Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OL coach(es) possibly on the way out -- not confirmed

Superman

Mike Garafolo's twitter:

So evidently one of the two OL coaches isn't under contract for 2016, and the thinking is that the other will be let go. This could be inaccurate, but that's the smoke that's going up right now. Obviously, the Colts didn't announce that either Gilbert or Hunter was out when they announced the other six guys being gone, so this might be nothing.

17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think the coaching staff is in a state of flux.  While they announced changes yesterday you might see more come out now that the DC has been named and once the OC if officially named (even if it's Chud)

Well, obviously. They got rid of six assistants the past couple of days. The team needed a shake up. None of this is surprising, IMO. But this info about the OL coaches is interesting, because the team hasn't said anything about it.

I think the report is just assuming based on the fact that we let other assistants go, it would make sense that the coaches of the very publicly troubled O-Line would be upgraded as well.

The O-Line is a combination of lack of talent and poor coaching. I wonder if the WR coach is next. I think Reggie could coach that position with ease.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

I think the report is just assuming based on the fact that we let other assistants go, it would make sense that the coaches of the very publicly troubled O-Line would be upgraded as well.

The O-Line is a combination of lack of talent and poor coaching. I wonder if the WR coach is next. I think Reggie could coach that position with ease.

No doubt in my mind.

33 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I played NFL head coach the 2009 version of it and at some point along the line I ended up hiring Jeff Saturday as my OL coach.  

Just a thought.

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

I played NFL head coach the 2009 version of it and at some point along the line I ended up hiring Jeff Saturday as my OL coach.  

Just a thought.

Saturday along with Reggie are two players who I think would be great position coaches. I would still like an O-Line guru though, so maybe Saturday as an assistant O-Line coach.

6 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Well more moves glad Pagano is getting his guys. If your job is on the line you should sink or swim with your own!

I assume they were his guys.  Grigson may have meddled a bit (Pep), but I doubt to the extent he hired Chuck's whole staff.

14 hours ago, BOTT said:

I assume they were his guys.  Grigson may have meddled a bit (Pep), but I doubt to the extent he hired Chuck's whole staff.

It is entirely possible by his guys he means Chuck is picking His Guys NOW with little to no input from Grigson...
 And that is all.
 And these moves would have come up in Chuck`s talks with Irsay/Grigson when he was selling his future as the HC.
 You can bet the O-Line coaches job was also settled between Chuck & Chud before Chud signed up.
Chud should know if the guy has the stuff, or if he would rather have someone he likes better.
 But is who he wants available?

It's weird that the team hasn't made any announcement on this. Maybe Gilbert and Hunter will be moved to different positions (one of them is reportedly not under contract for 2016), but they are evidently interviewing OL coaches. All three of the guys named were under recently fired coaches in 2015, so they're likely available.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/1/8/10738856/report-colts-to-interview-three-offensive-line-coaches-john-benton-pat-flaherty-chris-foerster

Assuming the Colts do hire a new OL coach, I like this approach. I don't know what the deal is with the current guys who are evidently still employed, but the fact that the team is interviewing multiple candidates makes me think that they are looking for something in particular. Not just a guy they know and are familiar with, but hopefully a strong candidate.

I believe Miami and New York both ran Zone Blocking Schemes if my memory serves me right. Not sure what San Fran ran this year.  Makes me wonder if we are in for scheme changes on the OL as well?  I know the Ravens used to run power for years and then switched off to a Zone based scheme. Maybe Chuck is thinking the same .

Just now, krunk said:

I believe Miami and New York both ran Zone Blocking Schemes if my memory serves me right. Not sure what San Fran ran this year.  Makes me wonder if we are in for scheme changes on the OL as well.

I had the same thought.

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's weird that the team hasn't made any announcement on this. Maybe Gilbert and Hunter will be moved to different positions (one of them is reportedly not under contract for 2016), but they are evidently interviewing OL coaches. All three of the guys named were under recently fired coaches in 2015, so they're likely available.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/1/8/10738856/report-colts-to-interview-three-offensive-line-coaches-john-benton-pat-flaherty-chris-foerster

Assuming the Colts do hire a new OL coach, I like this approach. I don't know what the deal is with the current guys who are evidently still employed, but the fact that the team is interviewing multiple candidates makes me think that they are looking for something in particular. Not just a guy they know and are familiar with, but hopefully a strong candidate.

I am thinking maybe they want to have someone else chosen and ready to sign on the dotted line before they cut what we have .. .avoiding the possibility of getting stuck having to hire someone even worse than we currently have (although it seems unlikely we would end up with worse),

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

The guys we have are athletic enough to do it if necessary.

I think they're better suited for zone blocking, especially Mewhort. Thornton is probably the only one that's better suited to man blocking, but in a perfect world he won't be starting next year anyway.

We have to develop SOME sort of run blocking ability.  

The space they've been giving our RB's is embarrassing.  

Our pass blocking IMO is OK.  

Need to get some push on that line and IDK how. That's why they don't pay me the big bucks.