Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Andrew Luck Didn't Say

I've been meaning to jot this observation down for a while, but here it goes a little late.

Anyone see the brief Andrew Luck interview after the fiesta bowl? When asked if he was drafted by the colts and peyton was still around and he had to be back up.

What he said:

If that's how it is, such is life....

What I would have liked to have heard....

It would be a thrill to play behind the greatest of all time. I could certainly learn alot from him.

I know I'm making somehting out of nothing, but thats what we do :D

http://blogs.kqed.org/newsfix/2012/01/03/videos-andrew-luck-after-fiesta-bowl-loss-stanford-kick-returner-knocked-down-on-purpose-by-teammate/

So maybe he isn't skilled at slinging ^cowpatties^. You were looking for the politically correct answer, what you got was an honest answer. Do you think that Peyton would have been happy to come out of college and sit behind a hall-of-famer? Athletes want to play, and althletes are confident in their own abilities. Anyone who is honestly delighted at the prospect of sitting on the bench is someone who you wouldn't want to have on your team in the first place.

And this is one of the reasons that I'd prefer that the Colts trade the pick. If he is as good as advertised, one of the two will have their careers tainted. Peyton, by possibly being forced out of the stadium that wouldn't exist without him, Luck by being forced to throw away a portion of his career. This is going to be ugly either way.

So maybe he isn't skilled at slinging ^cowpatties^. You were looking for the politically correct answer, what you got was an honest answer. Do you think that Peyton would have been happy to come out of college and sit behind a hall-of-famer? Athletes want to play, and althletes are confident in their own abilities. Anyone who is honestly delighted at the prospect of sitting on the bench is someone who you wouldn't want to have on your team in the first place.

And this is one of the reasons that I'd prefer that the Colts trade the pick. If he is as good as advertised, one of the two will have their careers tainted. Peyton, by possibly being forced out of the stadium that wouldn't exist without him, Luck by being forced to throw away a portion of his career. This is going to be ugly either way.

You think Aaron Rodgers is saying he threw away a portion of his career when he has a championship now and is argueably in better shape health wise than he would of had he started right off the bat? Heck, most qb's don't even come close to sniffing a championship and have started all of their career (Marino).

I consider myself an Andrew Luck apologist.

I'm not concerned with that statement. In the same interview he already said he would be thrilled to go to any of the 32 teams. He also gets peppered with questions about his future when his college career ended 10 minutes prior. I'm going to put "If that's how it is, such is life...." right there next to "let's just say we had some protection problems" as statements borne of circumstance, rather than as thought out, intentional responses.

I think people are reading WAY too much into this. He had just lost the last game of his college career, in devastating fashion...and i know that most people wouldnt be in an upbeat/happy mood at that point in time, especially when they are going to ask him questions that he's been hounded with all season, instead of questions about his college career or the game that had just been played.

he reacted the way 99.9% of people would have

Which is hilarious, because RGIII said in an interview yesterday that he would LOVE to sit behind Peyton Manning and learn from the greatest. He also said he wouldn't want to be the guy to send PM packing, because he (Manning) should be allowed to play as long as he wants to.

I cant say that i'm surprised that you have this opinion...but none of you mention the fact that RGIII was asked this question weeks AFTER his last game, when no one expects him to go #1 overall anyhow...of course he would be thrilled to be selected #1 (much higher than he should be taken) and of course his answer will sound different than when Luck was asked the question, moments after losing his last NCAA game in devastating fashion...not to mention the fact that everyone has hounded him with that same question throughout his whole season.

How any of you could honestly prefer to have RGIII than Luck, if we are taking a QB with our first pick, is beyond me.

I've been meaning to jot this observation down for a while, but here it goes a little late.

Anyone see the brief Andrew Luck interview after the fiesta bowl? When asked if he was drafted by the colts and peyton was still around and he had to be back up.

What he said:

If that's how it is, such is life....

What I would have liked to have heard....

It would be a thrill to play behind the greatest of all time. I could certainly learn alot from him.

I know I'm making somehting out of nothing, but thats what we do :D

http://blogs.kqed.or...se-by-teammate/

So you'd rather have a QB who is content to collect a paycheck over a QB that has enough faith in his abilities that he thinks he can come in an be a productive player from day 1? I'd rather have the guy who is willing to, but not happy about, the prospect of not being a starter from day 1.

You think Aaron Rodgers is saying he threw away a portion of his career when he has a championship now and is argueably in better shape health wise than he would of had he started right off the bat? Heck, most qb's don't even come close to sniffing a championship and have started all of their career (Marino).

Marino made it to the super bowl in his 2nd year in the league. If he had to sit behind another quarterback for a few years he would have never got the chance to play in a sb. Luck is not excited about sitting behind Manning and Peyton has never said anything about how "teaches" other qb's so there's no benefit to either of them to play together.

I know I'm making something out of nothing, but thats what we do :D

However I am glad I made the thread because there have been some really good responses.

Yea, even though RGIII said what I agree is the PC answer (and he did have time to develop the PC answer), I'd still rather have Luck than RGIII. I'd rather have the Accuracy.

Statements born out of circumstance are usually the most honest. Lucks' was a reaction. So we know honestly, he's not thrilled at the idea of sitting, but he will do it.

Do we want someone who doesn't want to sit? yes and no. We don't want any discontent that could lead to a cancer. we don't want controversy. we don't want every time PM throws a pick a big ESPN 2 hour special on sitting manning for luck. We do want a guy with great potential to learn from the best as everyone has room to improve. He should have some humility and sit and learn and I'm sure he will. I disagree he would be wasting a portion of his career by sitting for a year. Peyton was terrible that first year he played. Had he had some tutelage from his future self he may have been even better the second and third season.

Trading the luck pick isn't an option. we have a chance to get one of the greatest ever to come out and we sorely need a successor to manning. So someone is gonna have to suck it up and ride the pines.

Alternatively trading or cutting Manning would be up there with trading Babe Ruth. Its just bad Karma and I don't see it happening.

I cant say that i'm surprised that you have this opinion...but none of you mention the fact that RGIII was asked this question weeks AFTER his last game, when no one expects him to go #1 overall anyhow...of course he would be thrilled to be selected #1 (much higher than he should be taken) and of course his answer will sound different than when Luck was asked the question, moments after losing his last NCAA game in devastating fashion...not to mention the fact that everyone has hounded him with that same question throughout his whole season.

How any of you could honestly prefer to have RGIII than Luck, if we are taking a QB with our first pick, is beyond me.

So you'd rather have a QB who is content to collect a paycheck over a QB that has enough faith in his abilities that he thinks he can come in an be a productive player from day 1? I'd rather have the guy who is willing to, but not happy about, the prospect of not being a starter from day 1.

Good posts! Its amazing the length of nonsense people will take to push their agenda of not drafting Luck. Yet, in a few yrs. when Luck is our QB they will all be having a lovefest with him and saying they were for drafting him all along.

Yet, in a few yrs. when Luck is our QB they will all be having a lovefest with him and saying they were for drafting him all along.

Ain't that the truth. Before the 1998 draft I bet it was about 50/50 on who wanted Manning and who wanted Leaf. Now every Colts fan claims Manning over Leaf was a no brainer and the Colts (nor the fans) ever considered Leaf worthy of a number 1 spot.

(I will admit, I didn't want the Colts to draft Manning or Leaf... I wanted them to draft Wadsworth with the first pick and Brian Griese in the 2nd, )

Marino made it to the super bowl in his 2nd year in the league. If he had to sit behind another quarterback for a few years he would have never got the chance to play in a sb. Luck is not excited about sitting behind Manning and Peyton has never said anything about how "teaches" other qb's so there's no benefit to either of them to play together.

Cool, he played in one and his only super bowl in just his 2nd year. Please tell me what he did after that? Just because Luck isn't excited about doing it, doesnt mean it wont be beneficial. And yes Peyton doesnt say anything about teaching other QB's, he just DOES it on the sidelines and host passing camps every year.

RG3 is trying to be the #1 draft pick. That's what these guys do every year and because RG3 is the 2nd highest ranked QB in the draft, he knows his stock will rise to at least the #2 position if not #1, ala Cam Newton. His combine or pro day is probably going to be out of this world with his athletic ability, so I expect to hear even more as the draft gets nearer about how the Colts are torn between the 2. Btw, I am for picking Luck.

EXACTLY. I am so sick of reading "trade the pick". If Peyton isn't healthy 100%, he will retire. If he is, I don't see him playing 4 more years. "Oh! But the surgery is supposed to make him better than he was before!!!!11!1!one!" Yeah, and it was also supposed to be a 6-8 week recovery time, right? Get your heads out of the sand. Take a look around. Andrew Luck is not going to a Super Bowl his rookie year. I don't care WHERE he plays. Not gonna happen. Just like we are NOT going to win 4 more Super Bowls with Peyton Manning by trading down 3 spots and picking up a bunch of rookie CBs and WRs. Are people really that naive around this board? My GOODNESS.

If the kid sits, he will gain knowledge and ability under Manning. If we trade him away and get another Justin Tryon and an Anthony Gonzalez for him via lower draft numbers, don't say I didn't warn you. Mike Vick III can go to Cleveland, where he will most likely break his ribs scrambling around, just like Vick has the past two seasons.

RGIII never said he wouldn't want to play. He said he'd be honored if it came to sitting and learning from the greatest. No college player is going to come in and be as good as Peyton Manning. Therefore, if they are drafted to a team which has Peyton Manning, they'd be on the bench. You make the best out of any situation, and RGIII would be thrilled to put a positive spin on something that could turn out very beneficial for him moving forward.

People here are so quick to criticize every word spoken by everyone in the game...unless it's Andrew Luck. I think that's the point behind a revelation such as this.

As to the potential ugliness you speak of: I whole-heartedly agree.

EXACTLY. I am so sick of reading "trade the pick". If Peyton isn't healthy 100%, he will retire. If he is, I don't see him playing 4 more years. "Oh! But the surgery is supposed to make him better than he was before!!!!11!1!one!" Yeah, and it was also supposed to be a 6-8 week recovery time, right? Get your heads out of the sand. Take a look around. Andrew Luck is not going to a Super Bowl his rookie year. I don't care WHERE he plays. Not gonna happen. Just like we are NOT going to win 4 more Super Bowls with Peyton Manning by trading down 3 spots and picking up a bunch of rookie CBs and WRs. Are people really that naive around this board? My GOODNESS.

If the kid sits, he will gain knowledge and ability under Manning. If we trade him away and get another Justin Tryon and an Anthony Gonzalez for him via lower draft numbers, don't say I didn't warn you. Mike Vick III can go to Cleveland, where he will most likely break his ribs scrambling around, just like Vick has the past two seasons.

I don't think anyone believed that. I'm pretty sure the experts said we'd get our first updates after 8 weeks. Polian and Irsay mentioned something about playing, but the facts didn't point to that. Also, it is 100% certain that the fusion is stronger than before if it takes. The nerve fully regenerates if the process so much as starts following the fusion. Both instances have happened, and now he will be playing without the pain he has endured for 3 years.

If he were only going to play for 1-2 years, he wouldn't have signed a 5 year deal. He knew the situation better than anyone. He could feel it. The man wants to play.

As to the expectations of the fans: Peyton gives us a better chance at winning Super Bowls in his last 4 years than Luck does in 15 - because for some reason everyone here thinks Luck ensures 15 years of success at the QB position. Peyton has proven himself capable of carrying a team by himself, and he may not have to if we can load him up with young talent from draft picks he's never had the privilege of being paired with (in terms of placement each round). That also gives us a more well-rounded team going forward that isn't so QB dependent, but well-suited for the next QB in line.

You have done nothing more than sensationalized the situation to suit your (lack of an) argument.

I don't think anyone believed that. I'm pretty sure the experts said we'd get our first updates after 8 weeks. Polian and Irsay mentioned something about playing, but the facts didn't point to that. Also, it is 100% certain that the fusion is stronger than before if it takes. The nerve fully regenerates if the process so much as starts following the fusion. Both instances have happened, and now he will be playing without the pain he has endured for 3 years.

If he were only going to play for 1-2 years, he wouldn't have signed a 5 year deal. He knew the situation better than anyone. He could feel it. The man wants to play.

As to the expectations of the fans: Peyton gives us a better chance at winning Super Bowls in his last 4 years than Luck does in 15 - because for some reason everyone here thinks Luck ensures 15 years of success at the QB position. Peyton has proven himself capable of carrying a team by himself, and he may not have to if we can load him up with young talent from draft picks he's never had the privilege of being paired with (in terms of placement each round). That also gives us a more well-rounded team going forward that isn't so QB dependent, but well-suited for the next QB in line.

You have done nothing more than sensationalized the situation to suit your (lack of an) argument.

Doogan you "sensationalize" situations quite a bit yourself on these boards.

As far as finally getting some talent around Manning, I wonder what Pierre Garcon (a late rounder), Austin Collie, Reggine Wayne, Jacob Tamme, Dallas Clark, and Joe Addai would think of that. We lost a Super Bowl with those guys. They have immeasurable amounts of talent amongst them.

RGIII never said he wouldn't want to play. He said he'd be honored if it came to sitting and learning from the greatest. No college player is going to come in and be as good as Peyton Manning. Therefore, if they are drafted to a team which has Peyton Manning, they'd be on the bench. You make the best out of any situation, and RGIII would be thrilled to put a positive spin on something that could turn out very beneficial for him moving forward.

People here are so quick to criticize every word spoken by everyone in the game...unless it's Andrew Luck. I think that's the point behind a revelation such as this.

As to the potential ugliness you speak of: I whole-heartedly agree.

I wasn't attempting to compare Luck's comments to Griffins. In fact I haven't given any thought to Griffin what-so-ever. The fact that one player managed to make a somewhat more politically correct comment than the other is irrelevant. It makes no sense to judge anyone by one statement - and I was merely pushing back against those who were trying to do so. My expectation would be that any football player who is competative enough to make it to the top of the draft has no desire to sit on the bench at all - regardless of the brilliance of the guy in front of him. They aren't fans, they're intense competitors who I'm sure deep down feel that they could be "the greatest of all time" themselves if just given the chance to play. And in my opinion playing is far and away the best way to learn. Watching Peyton take all the snaps - while your skills grow staler by the minute - is of limited usefullness.

And that isn't a defense of Luck. Once again, my expectation is that Peyton will come back healthy, and my preference is that he play out his career as a Colt. WITHOUT being pushed out the door because "we've invested millions in this draft pick, he's ready to play, and he's going to walk next year. We need to find out what we have".

That is exactly correct, I don't want another Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers situation with the colts. Peyton Manning should be able to play for as long as he wants to and Luck would then have to play for another team.

I just don't understand how people don't understand your bolded paragraph... It makes sense, it helps to give the colts a better team throughout the end of Peyton's career, and whenever Peyton wants to retire our next quarterback will have a pretty good team to play for.

Why do you act like spending that 1st round pick on someone other than Luck ensures us that the Colts will have a more rounded team going forward that isn't so QB dependent?

That is as much sensationlization as any other post.

Which is hilarious, because RGIII said in an interview yesterday that he would LOVE to sit behind Peyton Manning and learn from the greatest. He also said he wouldn't want to be the guy to send PM packing, because he (Manning) should be allowed to play as long as he wants to.

Really RGIII said that? If that's the case maybe we should think about drafting him. However, I imagine after losing the bowl game, Luck wasn't to interested in answering questions in the first place. Time will tell.

The kids a class act

(Why was my username deleted? oh well, "1st post" isn't really my 1st post)

...There's an "optimum" version of a Manning+Luck 2012 Colts team that I would personally like to see.

If Peyton is healthy, the discussion of "who gives us a better shot right now" is beyond question.

If Peyton is *not* healthy, the discussion turns towards some very hard choices.

If Peyton's health deteriorates, who steps in to replace him without another lost season?

*I* personally see this as the following(and I realize that this isn't my personnel decision to make and it is way easier said than done):

I want to see Peyton restructure his roster bonus, payable in halves over the next 2 seasons...and kick it up a touch to make it worth discussing the option. Rather than 28M in April, make it 15M in April, with another 15M in April 2013 if it proves out that he is fully healthy and good to go. (Edit: and I'll admit that I haven't really looked into whether or not that would give us 13M cap room for 2012. I'm thinking it does.)

One thing I see this doing is having management show Peyton a longer term commitment than "until Luck is ready." On the flip side, if Peyton were to agree to this, it would show that he is committed to being in full football form for the team rather than just being healthy on April 1, 2012. His disks might have successfully fused, and he may be healthy in April. But, where is his health going to be in November? That is the major concern that I see. If we make an all-in commitment to Peyton Manning and he ends up *knock on wood* taking a blindside hit that knocks him out of football for good, what do we do?

Peyton wants to stay. Irsay wants Peyton to stay. The majority of fans want Peyton to stay. When he's healthy and we had Tarik at left tackle, no questions asked he deserves to the "Highest Paid Player in the NFL." But, there are now *significant* risks to going forward without having a co-pilot.

I don't think Peyton is that selfish, and I'm hoping that I am right.

(Why was my username deleted? oh well, "1st post" isn't really my 1st post)

...There's an "optimum" version of a Manning+Luck 2012 Colts team that I would personally like to see.

If Peyton is healthy, the discussion of "who gives us a better shot right now" is beyond question.

If Peyton is *not* healthy, the discussion turns towards some very hard choices.

If Peyton's health deteriorates, who steps in to replace him without another lost season?

*I* personally see this as the following(and I realize that this isn't my personnel decision to make and it is way easier said than done):

I want to see Peyton restructure his roster bonus, payable in halves over the next 2 seasons...and kick it up a touch to make it worth discussing the option. Rather than 28M in April, make it 15M in April, with another 15M in April 2013 if it proves out that he is fully healthy and good to go. (Edit: and I'll admit that I haven't really looked into whether or not that would give us 13M cap room for 2012. I'm thinking it does.)

One thing I see this doing is having management show Peyton a longer term commitment than "until Luck is ready." On the flip side, if Peyton were to agree to this, it would show that he is committed to being in full football form for the team rather than just being healthy on April 1, 2012. His disks might have successfully fused, and he may be healthy in April. But, where is his health going to be in November? That is the major concern that I see. If we make an all-in commitment to Peyton Manning and he ends up *knock on wood* taking a blindside hit that knocks him out of football for good, what do we do?

Peyton wants to stay. Irsay wants Peyton to stay. The majority of fans want Peyton to stay. When he's healthy and we had Tarik at left tackle, no questions asked he deserves to the "Highest Paid Player in the NFL." But, there are now *significant* risks to going forward without having a co-pilot.

I don't think Peyton is that selfish, and I'm hoping that I am right.

Is it selfish to not want to have the pressure of holding up a talented quarterback on your roster? I just don't think that drafting Andrew Luck is a good idea, not at all. Trading back makes the most sense and it gives the colts and Peyton Manning more freedom throughout the end of his career.

Don't forget to mention the fact that 'LUCK' fully expects to break all of the passing records,SB'S,MVP'S and any other viable stat that comes attached to being named the greatest -of- all- time.He can't do none of that sitting for YEARS.HE WANTS TO PLAY NOW.He's not a project player.He's the second highest rated college quarterback EVER(behind J/E).He's not GONNA SIT.And anybody that believes that(that he will sit years) must come from narnia or some other imaginary fantasyland.

Why do you act like spending that 1st round pick on someone other than Luck ensures us that the Colts will have a more rounded team going forward that isn't so QB dependent?

That is as much sensationlization as any other post.

Because he doesn't want us drafting Luck therefore any scenario where we draft Luck = BAD! and any scenario where we don't draft him = GOOD!

You see this logic permeating the forum recently. On both sides really.

Don't forget to mention the fact that 'LUCK' fully expects to break all of the passing records,SB'S,MVP'S and any other viable stat that comes attached to being named the greatest -of- all- time.He can't do none of that sitting for YEARS.HE WANTS TO PLAY NOW.He's not a project player.He's the second highest rated college quarterback EVER(behind J/E).He's not GONNA SIT.And anybody that believes that(that he will sit years) must come from narnia or some other imaginary fantasyland.

Well heck, if he's that good, we probably should draft him.

I don't trust him or his TOUTED POTENTIAL.I know what peyton can do(as has been doing for over a decade).

Then you really can't make the argument that he's so good that he will be able to demand to start and thereforeit won't work having him and Manning on the roster at the same time.

Look, I know the prospect of losing Manning has you and others freaking out. I get that. But lets stop and think about this for a minute.

Jim Irsay made an enourmous production about demanding that Manning be the highest paid player in the league about a year ago. Do you really think that he's going to just jettison him after one season? Has Irsay given you any indication that he's going to kick a healthy Peyton to the curb? Luck or no luck, I don't see any scenario where Irsay gets rid of a healthy Manning (aside from overanylzing everything he says on the subject). I just don't. Irsay loves Manning and he's made it known it will be his decision.

If they do decide to draft Luck, it will be for the future. If Manning is healthy, he will be the present.

Then you really can't make the argument that he's so good that he will be able to demand to start and thereforeit won't work having him and Manning on the roster at the same time.

Look, I know the prospect of losing Manning has you and others freaking out. I get that. But lets stop and think about this for a minute.

Jim Irsay made an enourmous production about demanding that Manning be the highest paid player in the league about a year ago. Do you really think that he's going to just jettison him after one season? Has Irsay given you any indication that he's going to kick a healthy Peyton to the curb? Luck or no luck, I don't see any scenario where Irsay gets rid of a healthy Manning (aside from overanylzing everything he says on the subject). I just don't. Irsay loves Manning and he's made it known it will be his decision.

If they do decide to draft Luck, it will be for the future. If Manning is healthy, he will be the present.

That sounds like a great plan,but jaric,its not going to happen.I don't see any scenario where luck sits,even a year,let alone 4.He's touted too highly to sit.

That sounds like a great plan,but jaric,its not going to happen.I don't see any scenario where luck sits,even a year,let alone 4.He's touted too highly to sit.

Mel Kiper Jr doesn't determine if a player sits or starts and the talking heads on ESPN have no impact on if Andrew Luck will or won't agree to sit behind Manning. Only Luck does. He's given no indication that he would cause a problem if drafted and forced to sit because Manning gives us the better chance to win.

The problem here is that the situation has been completely overanalyzed. Every single thing is put under a microscope.

Sometimes, a cigar, is just a cigar.

People tend to forget that almost every team in the NFL passed on Rodgers, he wasn't a sure fire pick. He was considered by many to be a project, the comparisson to Luck is not there. Wherever Luck is drafter be it to the Colts or elsewhere he has to play, and at the very least be starting by seasons end. To me it does nothing for the organization to have both these guys, if the plan is to keep and play Peyton (as I hope it is) you have to trade the #1 for as much as you can get. If Luck is the plan than he has to play, and the hardest personel decision this franchise has ever made has to be done.

Ryan Leaf... Jermarcus Russell... Matt Lienart Does anyone remember these players??? There were all supposed to be the next big thing and look what they are doing. Nothing

Um OK Ryan Leaf was insane. Jamarcuss Russel was lazy and had mental problems. Leinart was never given a chance to succeed with the horrible coaching staff he had in Arizona.

So your logic is that because a player is projected to be good that automatically means he's going to be a bust?

If that's the case I guess we should take Kellen Moore #1 overall.