Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive Co-ordinator choices

chad72

Who would you like for the next Defensive Co-ordinator?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like for the next DC?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, bababooey said:

He thought he was getting that Chicago job and it backfired, I wouldn't hate it. I'd love the Mangenius.

Marrone has never coached on the defensive side of the ball.  Prior to being a HC, he spent most of his time coaching the OL and TE.

My preference would be either Pettine or Ray Horton.  One thing I just thought of was that Pagano's first choice for DC was Keith Butler from Pitt.  But Butler wound up declining because he was promised the Pitt DC position as soon as LeBeau retired.   Horton is also a Pitt/LeBeau disciple and he was Chud's DC in Cleveland. 

2 minutes ago, MTC said:

I mean if Pagano is truly a "defensive mastermind" , why not?

I don't think Pagano has ever been referred to as a defensive mastermind.

Even if he was, every team in the NFL has coordinators. Even head coaches who call plays still have coordinators. Offensive masterminds still have offensive coordinators. Defensive masterminds still have defensive coordinators. Why would the Colts be any different?

Is this the resume of a mastermind? Seems like the guy is great in interviews.

1984–1985 Southern California
(graduate assistant)
1986 Miami (Florida)
(graduate assistant)
1987–1988 Boise State
(linebackers)
1989 East Carolina
(defensive backs)
1990–1991 UNLV
(1990) (defensive backs)
(1991) (defensive coordinator)
1992–1994 East Carolina
(defensive backs/ linebackers)
1995–2000 Miami (Florida)
(defensive backs/ special teams)
2001–2004 Cleveland Browns
(secondary)
2005–2006 Oakland Raiders
(defensive backs)
2007 North Carolina
(defensive coordinator)
2008–2011 Baltimore Ravens
(2008–2010) (secondary)
(2011) (defensive coordinator)
2012–present Indianapolis Colts
(head coach)

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think Pagano has ever been referred to as a defensive mastermind.

Even if he was, every team in the NFL has coordinators. Even head coaches who call plays still have coordinators. Offensive masterminds still have offensive coordinators. Defensive masterminds still have defensive coordinators. Why would the Colts be any different?

I know. Colts will hire a DC, but I would like Pagano to take control of the defense.

Anyone remember Jack Del Rio's DC in Jax vs Peyton and our Colts?

Jacksonville Jaguars Under Mike Smith as Defensive Coordinator

Year       Points Allowed     Ranked
2003            20.7 ppg          18th
2004            17.5 ppg            7th
2005            16.8 ppg            6th
2006             17.1 ppg           4th
2007             19.0 ppg          10th
2008             22.9 ppg          21st

And he has HC experience.  I'll take him as the 4-3 expert in our hybrid 3-4, where Chuck can be the 3-4 expert.

Look, Pettine is the choice if we want to continue building the "Monster". Pettine will bring bulldog fire, Mike Smith just smiles and looks lost, shwartz looks confused and doug marone???? seriously? Irsay last night said we we're going to get younger, not older and geriatric... Ha!!

Mike Pettine 

He has been a DC for 5 years of his career. Top 10 every year. 

He makes sense, but we better jump if we want him because Baltimore is also looking for a new DC. 

Plus he might help us land Alex Mack or Tashaun Gipson in free agency if we want either of them.

Ray Horton is also an interesting name. My concern with him is that he's been with 3 different teams since 2011, and he is looking for a job yet again. There is something going on with him.

Pettine would b perfect. His resume is impressive and he will most likely be here long term since no one is likely to pick him up as a head coach again.

Pick up any other coordinator and he will be gone just like Bruce arians.

26 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Mike Pettine 

He makes sense, but we better jump if we want him because Baltimore is also looking for a new DC. 

Plus he might help us land Alex Mack or Tashaun Gipson in free agency if we want either of them.

Ray Horton is also an interesting name. My concern with him is that he's been with 3 different teams since 2011, and he is looking for a job yet again. There is something going on with him.

Dean Pees was fired?

49 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Mike Pettine 

I think what hurt Ray Horton was in Arizona he felt he should be the HC after Whisenhunt was fired and made that pretty public.  He ended up being replaced when Arians came in.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Anyone remember Jack Del Rio's DC in Jax vs Peyton and our Colts?

Jacksonville Jaguars Under Mike Smith as Defensive Coordinator

Year       Points Allowed     Ranked
2003            20.7 ppg          18th
2004            17.5 ppg            7th
2005            16.8 ppg            6th
2006             17.1 ppg           4th
2007             19.0 ppg          10th
2008             22.9 ppg          21st

And he has HC experience.  I'll take him as the 4-3 expert in our hybrid 3-4, where Chuck can be the 3-4 expert.

No no no mike smith has been lucky in his years in coaching with the talent he's worked with I wouldn't take him as a DC

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

He got mad at being passed up for the head job in AZ and asked to be released. Went to Cleveland with Chud, who was fired after a year. Then got back with Whisenhunt in Tennessee, who was fired.

Horton jumping around isn't his fault. Maybe he was petulant in leaving AZ, but it was inconsequential as Arians was probably going to bring his own guy in anyways.

6 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

No no no mike smith has been lucky in his years in coaching with the talent he's worked with I wouldn't take him as a DC

I just can't take 'lucky' as reason.  I was told by many Arians was 'Lucky' to have the Colts players for his Head Coach debut, and would be garbage in Arizona.   Hmmmmm....

Sorry, I'll stick with production metrics over 'lucky' reports for now.