Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Assuming Jaylon Smith has "just" an ACL tear, would you take him in the 1st?

I'm on the fence about it tbh. Ideally you'd like to get a guy who's going to significantly contribute in his first year, but Smith has a "significant" knee-injury and could possibly miss all of next season. But if you take him and he recovers you could have an elite defensive cornerstone. A Luke Kuechly type player to build around on defense.

I'm personally a little biased being a Notre Dame fan. But you never know if he could lose some explosion and never regain it. I hate to say it, but we need to take a safer pick in the 1st round this year around. So not as risky as maybe some would like.  Last year I would be open to a Smith type. But after Dorsett, Werner, and Richardson our last few first rounders, we need as sure fire as they come, (even though no one is sure fire.)

I don't know what to think about this actually. All I can find is something that says "multiple ligament tear" Ideally it would cause him to fall out of the 1st round entirely and we could pick him up in like the 3rd or something.

One thing Smith can do better than most LBs;  He does everything well:   He sets the edge like a pro already.  We will see at 18....I would take him or the best OL.

We need what the heck we have with Newsome.  He needs to react of get waived...Werner too.

Sounds like the Todd Gurley situation last year.  Had major knee issues and was taken by Rams in 1st round.  Seems to me that the risk was worth it.  However, 49ers took risk on the RB from S Carolina who also had major knee issues and that guy never made it back.  Risk/Reward situation.

26 minutes ago, Doctor Mad said:

Sounds like the Todd Gurley situation last year.  Had major knee issues and was taken by Rams in 1st round.  Seems to me that the risk was worth it.  However, 49ers took risk on the RB from S Carolina who also had major knee issues and that guy never made it back.  Risk/Reward situation.

Gurley and Lattimores injures couldn't be any more different. Lattimores knee injury almost made me sick, it was gruesome. 

59 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

If it's just an ACL, I'm not even sure that drops him far enough for us to get him at 18, let alone trading back.  Didn't hurt Todd Gurley, and the dude is an RB.

The only difference is that Gurley got hurt midseason and Smith got injured in January meaning his recovery timetable likely wouldn't allow him to play for most of if not all of 2016.

6 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

The only difference is that Gurley got hurt midseason and Smith got injured in January meaning his recovery timetable likely wouldn't allow him to play for most of if not all of 2016.

Gurley got hurt a month and a half before Jaylon Smith relative to the season before he entered the draft (Gurley was hurt Nov. 14, Smith got hurt January 1) .  Assuming the same timeline, Smith will play mid-november.  Both would have missed summer camp and pre-season and the like.

But that's not even the point.  The point is, the Rams took an injured RB.  Not late in the first.  Not even later than his projected slot.  They took him at #10, earlier than his projected slot (which was around #13 by most standards if I recall).   It's crazy enough to take a RB at #10, let alone one that is rehabbing an ACL tear.  There was no timetable on his return.  He could have had setbacks and he did end up missing time (I think he did have a setback or two).  If there's one position player with an acl issue you balk at taking earlier rather than later its the RB.  If Todd Gurley can go #10 overall, it's not outlandish to suggest Jaylon Smith won't make it to #18.

2 minutes ago, nerukamo said:

I'm sorry, what does this mean?

HA HA!  I did not edit.  We need to know if we have the Newsome of 2014 other that this year's Newsome.  Horrendous year.

Werner as well, or they both will have to go.  No production.

Thanks for pointing this out.  I have been typing WAY too much today!!

7 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

HA HA!  I did not edit.  We need to know if we have the Newsome of 2014 other that this year's Newsome.  Horrendous year.

As for Newsome and Werner. I'd sign a OLB in free agency AND draft one in the 1st. You know unless we get Miller. If we sign a guy like Irvin or Hali then we need to draft a pass rusher in the 1st IMO. Then we'd have Mathis and Walden back. So in that case most likely only one of Newsome or Werner would be back. And I wouldn't mind seeing us pull off an interesting trade. Werner and a late round 17 pick for Dion Jordon. Werner could play DE, Jordon could stand up. A change in scenery could do wonders.

2 hours ago, BrentMc11 said:

Brother I'm done with Werner already .

Jaylon Smith is going to have reconstructive surgery on his knee. This means it must have been a total ACL tear like Gurleys. I would not think he would be ready to go until October, but I believe he would be worth the 18th pick. I had been wishing there was a way to trade up for him, and hate to say I hoped we would lose and go 6-10 so we could get him. I hate to see what happened to him, but I believe he will be there for us when our number is called. He still could go back for his senior year, but I think it would be silly after the injury and his insurance policy pays him if he does not go 1st round.

The guy can cover and he's got speed. My biggest knock on him though is he hesitates alot from what I've seen he doesn't use his speed to make hits. I watched several tackles where he could have tackled the guy 2-3 yards before but he hesitated and doesn't burst to the tackle. 

Yes I would take him at pick 18, and not have a problem with it. If you can pick up a solid top 5-8 pick at pick 18 I think it is a no brainer. Sure he may not contribute much if any his first season, but the talent is there. ACL surgeries are so routine anymore I wouldn't expect this to be a huge problem in the future.

Archived