Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2016 Changes - What would you like to see?

lollygagger8

Now that we know the head coach and GM aren't going anywhere, what realistic changes do you think we need to make for 2016? Coaches, Players, Schemes, whatever.....you name it. Call it Armchair GM'ing or whatever, idc: 

Here's my take on what I think would be good: 

Coaches: 

OC: Keep Chud and let him implement his offense. 

DC: Anyone not named Madudsky.

QB Coach: Christensen is a nice guy, but I don't believe he's helping develop Luck. 

O-Line Coach: Anyone but Joe Gilbert. 

Offense:

Secondary: I'm ok with everyone except Toler. Toler has go to go. We also need CB depth desperately. Adams doesn't have the speed, but is still serviceable. 

Oline - Harrison, Louis, Herremans, are lousy. Thornton and Holmes seem to not be durable enough. That leaves Castanzo, Mewhort, and Reitz. We need O-Line help bad. 

TE: Fleener and Doyle. I think Allen walks for more money somewhere else. 

RB: Love Gore, but we need help to back him up and let him get some breaks. I'm not sure why we didn't use Boom more either. 

WR: Do we let AJ walk? 

QB: Luck obviously is a priority signing. I think we found a great backup in Freeman. I love Hasselbeck, but he is done. 

Defense: 

ILB: We need depth bad. Irving seems like he's hurt too much. DQ is a machine up front, but liability in coverage. Freeman is ok, but 

OLB: Werner is gone. Cole got better these last few games, so hopefully the trend continues. Walden is good for what we are paying him, and Mathis is Mathis, but we can't depend on one guy to produce pass rush. 

DE: I like Kerr, McGill is turning it on, Langford is a stud, and Anderson could've pulled off DROY if he wouldn't have gotten hurt. Parry is great too. 

ST: 

Don't change a thing 

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

I forgot about Arthur Jones. I thought he was going to come in and wreak havoc, but he's been disappointing to say the least.  

Can't predict injuries but he should be gone. Lot of weight on those bum ankles reminds me of Kris Jenkins and his knees.

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

I used to be a Whalen fan. But now I can't tell who fumbles more, Cribbs or Whalen......? 

I know he shouldn't get a lot of crap for the fake punt because he didn't know the play, but he deserves it for not realizing that not snapping is a 5 yard penalty and it's probably a cardinal rule to not snap in that situation when you weigh 180 pounds and have 3 guys in your face. His fumble on the last drive against the Texans makes me never want him again. Would rather have Varga at PR behind Bray. The more I think of Whalen the more negative memories I have.

1 hour ago, NBColtsFanatic said:

I think you and I are the same person lol. Except for ST, should replacing McMahon be considered?

Why?  You could easily make the case that our punter and kicker are the two best in the league at their respective positions.  McAfee has also been a big supporter of McMahon

16 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

And I think we really need to re-sign Fleener. Let Allen go. Re-sign Fleener and bring in a guy like Gresham on a cheap 1year deal.

Fleener is a solid player, but he is essentially a tall, not quick, receiver.  He doesn't give you much on shorter routes...hardly any yac.

28 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Why?  You could easily make the case that our punter and kicker are the two best in the league at their respective positions.  McAfee has also been a big supporter of McMahon

I don't know if it's more on Pagano or McMahon, but decision making. If fake punts or punting in general is on Pagano, then I'm fine with McMahon staying.

1) fire manusky, hire pettine

2) get rid of/do not resign these players: Trent Cole, Art Jones, Andre Johnson, Dwayne Allen, Greg Toller, Darius Butler, Bjorn werner, quan bray, khaled holmes, jonathan harrison, boom heron, louis

3) resign Luck

4) sign alex mack and mitchell shwartz, move reitz to left guard or alex boone amd leave reitz and mewhort on same side

5) draft either a corner, LB or oline 1st round. I,d go corner here unless there is a stud left guard

^ draft RB 2nd round, LG third

15 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Fleener is a solid player, but he is essentially a tall, not quick, receiver.  He doesn't give you much on shorter routes...hardly any yac.

Yeah but then what? Draft Hunter Henry in the 1st? or Leggett in the 2nd? There aren't any good free agent TE's. We'd just be creating another hole to fill.

15 minutes ago, Indeee said:

2) get rid of/do not resign these players: Trent Cole, Art Jones, Andre Johnson, Dwayne Allen, Greg Toller, Darius Butler, Bjorn werner, quan bray, khaled holmes, jonathan harrison, boom heron, louis

3) resign Luck

4) sign alex mack and mitchell shwartz, move reitz to left guard or alex boone amd leave reitz and mewhort on same side

5) draft either a corner, LB or oline 1st round. I,d go corner here unless there is a stud left guard

I'd keep Bray and Herron. as well as lineman depth. Would rather sign Ivory for a cheap contract to pair with Gore and Herron than draft in the second. Would also reconsider Bradshaw. I'm spending my first few picks on defense or OL.

26 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah but then what? Draft Hunter Henry in the 1st? or Leggett in the 2nd? There aren't any good free agent TE's. We'd just be creating another hole to fill.

Keep Jack Doyle and draft one.....not in the 1st.  im not wholly against resigning Fleener, but to me he is a bit of a disappointment.

8 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I'd keep Bray and Herron. as well as lineman depth. Would rather sign Ivory for a cheap contract to pair with Gore and Herron than draft in the second. Would also reconsider Bradshaw. I'm spending my first few picks on defense or OL.

Bradshaw?  Again?

21 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I think Ivory will get decent money.  Not top 10, but at least 3 mill a year, maybe even $4 which would put him anywhere between 12 and 18 highest paid (average yearly to say nothing of guarantee)

11 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Bradshaw?  Again?

As long as he has two legs I'll sign him up until he can't play anymore. The best RB we've had this era. You can miss me with Josh Robinson's fumbles and Zurlon Tipton. Maybe when the next Dion Lewis stops by we let him hang around longer. If not then hell yea give me Bradshaw.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I think Ivory will get decent money.  Not top 10, but at least 3 mill a year, maybe even $4 which would put him anywhere between 12 and 18 highest paid (average yearly to say nothing of guarantee)

I think he's so banged up and has so much tread a team could get him for a good amount as long as he's not the primary back. People know he's injury prone and older so I don't see him getting spectacular money.

4 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I think he's so banged up and has so much tread a team could get him for a good amount as long as he's not the primary back. People know he's injury prone and older so I don't see him getting spectacular money.

Just like Bradshaw though... lol

Just now, pgt_rob said:

Just like Bradshaw though... lol

I'll take both with open arms on team friendly deals. He is a FA and the Jets had him run it 6 times in a do or die game and made Steven Ridley part of their game plan when Bilal Powell was banged up. I do not want us to have Herron or the next Robinson/Tipton as the gameplan if Gore finally breaks down.

Just now, bababooey said:

He's not that banged up.  He'll be 28 heading into next season with less than 900 carries  In the past 3 seasons he's only missed 1 game (which was earlier this year).  Gore on the other hand, who is getting paid $4 mill a year is 32 with 2700 carries.  Now I agree with you that whoever gets him not should pay him like he's a workhorse back.  

$3-$4 million a year is pretty in line with a good RB who is part of committee with some tread left.  A $3-$4 Million contract would put Ivory with the likes of Justin Forsett, Dexter McCluster, Joique Bell, Donald Brown, Todd Gurley, Darren Sproles, Toby gerhart, Ryan Matthews, CJ Spiller, Frank Gore, Mark Ingram and Shane Vereen (makes just a tad over $4 mill).  The only outlier here is Todd Gurley, which makes sense because he is on his fixed rookie deal.

17 hours ago, Indeee said:

3) resign Luck

Um, what about Castanzo? 

Getting rid of Manusky is the main staff change I wanted to see happen.  I'm not mad at the OL coach.  Grigs has only seen fit in 4 drafts to use 2 2nd day picks on the OL.  (I'm not counting 3rd day picks because a lot of 3rd day picks don't make their teams.)  His big FA signings on the OL have both failed due to injury.  And at this point he's gotten Thornton to play a lot better and has made Reitz look solid.  

The OL coach hasn't failed, Grigson has failed to give him good people to work with.  Grigson has spent way too much time trying to find "diamonds in the rough" for the OL and not spent the resources to get guys that have a really good chance of working out.  Dallas's great OL is first rounders all the way across.  The Colts have 1 1st rounder on their OL and that guy was drafted by the previous regime.  

Maybe we should give our OL coach someone drafted in the first round.  Maybe we should give him guys to work with that arn't 5 years past their prime?  

I mean here are some of the guys he was forced to work with and start.

Harrison - UDFA for a reason.  

Holmes - 4th round pick.  For some reason we can never decide between him and Harrison but neither impress you with their play.

Reitz - Former UDFA that he's managed to make look semi decent.  Reitz didn't even play college football.

Herremans - WAY WAY past his prime and too old.  With all the guys that the Eagles let go, no one gave this one a 2nd look because he was just that bad.  But Grigson saw that and though we should start him!

Lance Louis - I got a buddy at work who's a Bears fan who can't believe that we where desperate enough to plan on starting Lance Louis.  He's past his prime and his prime was a freaking career backup.  Exactly 1 person in the entire world thought that Lance Louis would work out as a starter and that's Grigson.  

On the positive side he's got Thornton playing much better, Mewhort has looked good and Castanzo has been a solid LT.  And no one died while Goode was starting at RT.  Do you realize that Goode played for a division 2 football team?  

Fire the OL coach?  Crap considering what he had to work with he should get a medal .  

Offense: 1 fix the C position in FA. I could see Grig's going after Mack. I would prefer the younger less expensive Jones or Wisnewski. C has to be a priority. We can't continue with the leader of that group being the weakest link on it. Holmes can't stay healthy and is not very good. A real C would stabalize the OL. It would make the whole unit better immediatley.

Improve right side of the OL. I would like to see a guy to come in and challenge Thorton/Reitz. I'm looking at Jeff Allen at KC. He is 26 has played both RT/RG. Then add more competition in the draft. If we sign a RT draft G or sign G draft a RT. 

SKill players. AJ can walk save the $$.  Get Gore some help. A cheap FA, maybe Boom or Varga. Trey Williams is interesting. 

TE resign Fleener maybe Allen depending on price injuries a huge concern. I'm leaning toward letting him walk. Doyle is solid not spectacular like him.  Swoopes?

D: We are getting a new DC. That is good news. Focus this years draft on the D again. I could live with D at every pick except one for the OL. 

I would cut Cole and let Toler walk for sure. Try to work something out with Jones if not cut. The D Line is coming I would look to continue adding talent. 

LB's is our biggest problem on D. DQ is a tough call. I'm leaning toward letting him walk I bet we keep him. Offer Freeman reasonable deal. Upgrade as much as we can here. Hopefully Irving is fully healthy next year. Moore will be more involved. 

We have to find Edge Rusher's.  I'm not sold on Irvin as the answer. Draft 2 edge guys like Floyd/Calhoun early come back for Ngakoue or Turay in the middle rounds. 

Back end. Signing a FA CB is the most important signing on this side of the ball. IMO because edge rusher isn't there. Draft CB as well. I like Russell among others. I'd keep an eye out for a S help too Killebrew or Shumate could be day 3 bargains. Cyrus Jones is interesting. I see places that have him UDFA. He makes plays .

30 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Getting rid of Manusky is the main staff change I wanted to see happen.  I'm not mad at the OL coach.  Grigs has only seen fit in 4 drafts to use 2 2nd day picks on the OL.  (I'm not counting 3rd day picks because a lot of 3rd day picks don't make their teams.)  His big FA signings on the OL have both failed due to injury.  And at this point he's gotten Thornton to play a lot better and has made Reitz look solid.  

The OL coach hasn't failed, Grigson has failed to give him good people to work with.  Grigson has spent way too much time trying to find "diamonds in the rough" for the OL and not spent the resources to get guys that have a really good chance of working out.  Dallas's great OL is first rounders all the way across.  The Colts have 1 1st rounder on their OL and that guy was drafted by the previous regime.  

Maybe we should give our OL coach someone drafted in the first round.  Maybe we should give him guys to work with that arn't 5 years past their prime?  

I mean here are some of the guys he was forced to work with and start.

Harrison - UDFA for a reason.  

Holmes - 4th round pick.  For some reason we can never decide between him and Harrison but neither impress you with their play.

Reitz - Former UDFA that he's managed to make look semi decent.  Reitz didn't even play college football.

Herremans - WAY WAY past his prime and too old.  With all the guys that the Eagles let go, no one gave this one a 2nd look because he was just that bad.  But Grigson saw that and though we should start him!

Lance Louis - I got a buddy at work who's a Bears fan who can't believe that we where desperate enough to plan on starting Lance Louis.  He's past his prime and his prime was a freaking career backup.  Exactly 1 person in the entire world thought that Lance Louis would work out as a starter and that's Grigson.  

On the positive side he's got Thornton playing much better, Mewhort has looked good and Castanzo has been a solid LT.  And no one died while Goode was starting at RT.  Do you realize that Goode played for a division 2 football team?  

Fire the OL coach?  Crap considering what he had to work with he should get a medal .  

I will agree he hasn't been given much to work with. There has to be a better guy out there.....I think it's worth a look for sure. 

Thank God for Joe Reitz

5 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I will agree he hasn't been given much to work with. There has to be a better guy out there.....I think it's worth a look for sure. 

Thank God for Joe Reitz

You can also get a lot worse.  Honestly I think the OL coach maximized the talent he was given and that's all you can ask for.  

If Grigs wants a dominate OL then he's gonna have to invest in it.  

Get us some new retro uniforms. Blue helmets would be amazing! 

Let AJ walk. Get a young 6'5 WR to replace him for cheap.

Retain Tyler Varga and let him play behind Gore.

Sign Josh Norman or basically anyone who can stay on their man instead of Toler

New QB coach??? Luck have been throwing very high this pass season (back to getting big WR). Someone need to fine tweak his mechanics.

New Chuck Pagano mantras

Aim for 16-0.

Here is what I would do:

Retain Chud

Fire OL coaches

Fire LB coach

Cut:

D'Qwell

Mathis (sorry)

Walden

Werner

Cole

Adams

Irving

Butler

Holmes

Harrison

Andre

Gore

Re-sign:

Allen

Fleener

Vinatieri

Doyle

Jo. Freeman

Je. Freeman

Lowery

18 hours ago, MTC said:

Here is what I would do:

Retain Chud

Fire OL coaches

Fire LB coach

Cut:

D'Qwell

Mathis (sorry)

Walden

Werner

Cole

Adams

Irving

Butler

Holmes

Harrison

Andre

Gore

Re-sign:

Allen

Fleener

Vinatieri

Doyle

Jo. Freeman

Je. Freeman

Lowery

I agree we should keep Chud......but.....

You'd cut Mathis, Walden and Cole but keep Newsome? ?

19 hours ago, MTC said:

Here is what I would do:

Retain Chud

Fire OL coaches

Fire LB coach

Cut:

D'Qwell

Mathis (sorry)

Walden

Werner

Cole

Adams

Irving

Butler

Holmes

Harrison

Andre

Gore

Re-sign:

Allen

Fleener

Vinatieri

Doyle

Jo. Freeman

Je. Freeman

Lowery

So cut the whole team???

31 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I agree we should keep Chud......but.....

You'd cut Mathis, Walden and Cole but keep Newsome? ?

6 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

So cut the whole team???

Save/gain more cap space and go younger on defense.

Just as several have mentioned : Build the defense. First and foremost. Super Bowl winners/losers usually have this most important aspect. It is a MUST! Can't emphasize that enough. ILB, OLB, are the most targeted positions for any defense worth it's salt. This franchise has always employed mostly mediocre defenses, with the exception of a couple. That mentality has to change. 

You can have the best offense in the NFL & no defense, and you're not going anywhere for the most part. It is my sincerest hope that our next DC has that killer approach to defensive football.