Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Griffin Says He Would Gladly Sit Behind Manning

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are like an auto accident that I can't divert my eyes off of.

Let me ask you this. As Coffee said there is CBA language that prevents the type of contract you have suggested but let's pretend that it would be OK. Here are the parameters for my question to you.

1) Manning is healthy and $28 million bonus is given

2) Luck is the # 1 pick for Indy

3) Manning plays for at least 3 more years

What is the benefit to the Colts for Luck to have this out clause you suggest? Why would they allow Luck to potentially get out of his deal when they are very near the time that Manning will be done and the time for when they need Luck on the field is at hand? Why on earth would they do that? What is the benefit to them?

Lastly, enough with the baseball or Brian Kelly contracts. Those are not anywhere close to applicable to contracts that drafted NFL rookies sign.

I think we just give Luck an extra $20M to make him happy. Not officially of course, we probably won't even report it so it doesn't even count against the salary cap (we can't report it anyway since it violates the CBA), but a handshake, wink wink nudge nudge stuff. Like all business deals.

Wasn't Aaron Rodgers the one who sat for so long waiting to be drafted while the football nation went so gaga over Alex Smith, who was drafted #1?

Now, Alex has a shot this yea r after starting right away and playing...not so well for a long time...but Aaron did sit back and learn for a number of years.

He has ring and another great run this past season under his belt. Plenty more possible in his future. Most folks looking back would choose Rodgers over Smith anyday.

Too bad you cannot have hindsight as foresight, but it doesn't work that way.

Will Luck and RG3 become the next Smith/Rodgers pair? :dunno:

Mark, I still don't understand why you want to give the future franchise QB an out option after two years?

Why on earth would we spend the time to develop him only to trade him, then to redraft someone else a year or so later?

That makes no sense.

True enough - I actually only seen his bowl game this year and I did not think he looked that good in that game. It was a game of zero defense and the running game dominated - not RG3 either running or passing. As far as when he was putting up numbers, I was not at all impressed by him racking up those stats against mediocre teams in the big12 this season and to be frank until this year I had never heard of the guy before.

What you wrote about RG3 should then apply to Luck. If that is true then Luck should not be hyped for the same reason.

What you wrote about RG3 should then apply to Luck. If that is true then Luck should not be hyped for the same reason.

I seen several Stanford games the last few years against top quality opponents - NO the statement about RG3 and the reasoning does not apply to Luck.

I seen several Stanford games the last few years against top quality opponents - NO the statement about RG3 and the reasoning does not apply to Luck.

Luck has not performed well against good defenses(i.e. Oregon, USC, and OSU). So what I said is still valid. Luck might be more NFL ready than RG3, but so was Gabbert over Newton last year. All I was saying that if you use a set of standards for one QB then use it for all Qbs.

Mcnabb did take his team to the superbowl.

I don't think that Griffin is the answer. Vick, Young, McNabb are good but just not good enough to take a team to the SB. I havn't seen Griffin play but if he runs alot like the QB's above then I just don't think he's the QB the Colts need. Can't imagine him being better than Vick or McNabb.

My problem with Luck is that.....

1. He doesnt seem to have speed on his balls theyre slow and lack revolutions his game in the NFL will solely be on timing

2. He seems to have a little attitude underneath all the acting for the cameras and we saw a little glimpse of it after the fiesta bowl "if such is life"

I don't think that Griffin is the answer. Vick, Young, McNabb are good but just not good enough to take a team to the SB. I havn't seen Griffin play but if he runs alot like the QB's above then I just don't think he's the QB the Colts need. Can't imagine him being better than Vick or McNabb.

If you havent watched him play then you shouldnt be speculating

Well I have read quite a bit about him just not much of a college football fan. Wasn't aware of the laws of speculation but I'll be sure to get your permission before I comment on any more topics. Are you with the Fan Forum police? lol

Well if you havent watched him then how do you know how he runs? Do they describe his running where ever you get your info?

1. He doesnt seem to have speed on his balls theyre slow and lack revolutions his game in the NFL will solely be on timing

2. He seems to have a little attitude underneath all the acting for the cameras and we saw a little glimpse of it after the fiesta bowl "if such is life"

I'm okay with Luck having a little attitude. You know who else had a little attitude? The same person who told Irsay that he will kick his butt for the next 15 years if they didn't draft him. That's right...Peyton Manning. I'm not saying that Luck is Peyton. I'm just stating that having a little attitude doesn't bother me.

Just saw on ESPN First Take where RG3 would asked if he would be comfortable sitting behind Peyton Manning for a while if drafted by Indianapolis. He said he would do it gladly because of his respect and admiration for Manning and that he didn't want to be the guy that sent Peyton packing. He also said Manning should be allowed to play as long as he wants in Indy.

Sounds like a more humble guy and someone who is more willing to sit and learn than Andrew Luck to me.

100% respect and props to RG3.

I think Luck things the exact opposite. That selfish and cocky attitude is what I sense from him. We dont need that.

For the record, Im not saying RG3 won't be a good QB in the future, I just don't really believe he is the right fit for the Colts. I do have serious concerns that he's in for a rude awaking in the NFL and the fact that he's kind of small because I don't believe for a second that he's actually 6'2" 220lbs like they have him listed at.

there are many "small" QB's in the NFL that are success.

That whole RG3 is "small and that is a problem" thing, is all ingnorant thinking.

I cant believe how ridiculous some people are on this forum

Of course people that want RGiii claim Luck isn't that good & people that want Luck claim RGiii isn't that good. The fact of the matter is they were both GREAT college ball players. For people say Luck isn't mobile, he sure did have enough speed to out run linebackers long enough to get to the sidelines or earn a first down SEVERAL times during the year. Luck doesn't have an arm?? He has a heck of an arm from all the games I've seen, yes some throws do look sloppy but many don't.

They both are solid. I think Luck will adapt to te NFL quicker, he has the ability to control the offense and read defensive schemes, a very smart QB. He's mobile, and can create for himself just like RGiii. Obviously Robert is more athletic. I've also heard comments that Luck has peaked or can't dramatically improve, I'm pretty sure most professionals, college coaches, players, analyst and sports writers would disagree. We all are entitled to our opinions though.

I wouldn't be unhappy with Griffin though I would be alittle shocked if they didn't take Luck. If the Colts do get Griffin hopefully they could still get some kind of package deal, Griffins value is pretty high though. If he tears stuff up in the combine, his stock is sure to rise. Same with Luck.

Of course people that want RGiii claim Luck isn't that good & people that want Luck claim RGiii isn't that good. The fact of the matter is they were both GREAT college ball players. For people say Luck isn't mobile, he sure did have enough speed to out run linebackers long enough to get to the sidelines or earn a first down SEVERAL times during the year. Luck doesn't have an arm?? He has a heck of an arm from all the games I've seen, yes some throws do look sloppy but many don't.

They both are solid. I think Luck will adapt to te NFL quicker, he has the ability to control the offense and read defensive schemes, a very smart QB. He's mobile, and can create for himself just like RGiii. Obviously Robert is more athletic. I've also heard comments that Luck has peaked or can't dramatically improve, I'm pretty sure most professionals, college coaches, players, analyst and sports writers would disagree. We all are entitled to our opinions though.

I wouldn't be unhappy with Griffin though I would be alittle shocked if they didn't take Luck. If the Colts do get Griffin hopefully they could still get some kind of package deal, Griffins value is pretty high though. If he tears stuff up in the combine, his stock is sure to rise. Same with Luck.

Ive never said he doesnt have an arm I just dont see enough speed or spin on his balls

100% respect and props to RG3.

I think Luck things the exact opposite. That selfish and cocky attitude is what I sense from him. We dont need that.

I think we all like Pierre Garcon and he is cocky! Peyton Manning was cocky when he said he would kick the Colts butts for years if we didn't draft him! I like a QB with alot of confidence but not someone like Phillip Rivers of the SD Chargers, or Chad Johnson with NE, or even T.O.. The QB needs to be very confident in his abilities to successfully lead his team. IMO Luck isnt like any of those arrogant players. Its very rare to find someone of Marvin Harrisons callibre. One of the best if not the best IMO WR's of all time but quite and not a showboat!

Luck has the ability to put "speed" on the balls, he just hasnt really NEEDED to at Stanford...if you go back and watch Peyton at Tennessee, his throws were a lot softer too, and lots of "rainbow" passes...

As for the attitude, his "such is life" was when a reporter was badgering him about Peyton Manning/Colts questions mere MINUTES after he lost the last game of his college career because of a kicker missing a couple FGs....would you expect him to be all rainbows and sunshine after something like that? I wouldnt want a QB who acted happy and cheerful after losing in that fashion only to be asked questions soon there after that had NOTHING to do with the game he just played.

The ONLY reason that RGIII gave the response he did about sitting behind Manning, is because he's not expected to go #1 so he will likely say what he thinks everyone wants to hear, in an attempt to move up in the draft...he also had the benefit of being asked the question WEEKS (not minutes) after his last game...and he had time to prepare his answer accordingly.

Anyone who honestly wants RGIII over Luck, or thinks that RGIII will be better, needs to have their heads examined.

I don't think Steve Young rushed as much as Tim Tebow did.

However, it is a useful comparison, since Young had to retire due to frequent concussions, and Tebow is now recovering from a rib injury.

It's great that Luck has the ability to run, and it is even better that he knows to do this as a last resort. Looking at his rushing attempts in his college career, the attempts have come down this past season (47 attempts).

Luck has the ability to put "speed" on the balls, he just hasnt really NEEDED to at Stanford...if you go back and watch Peyton at Tennessee, his throws were a lot softer too, and lots of "rainbow" passes...

As for the attitude, his "such is life" was when a reporter was badgering him about Peyton Manning/Colts questions mere MINUTES after he lost the last game of his college career because of a kicker missing a couple FGs....would you expect him to be all rainbows and sunshine after something like that? I wouldnt want a QB who acted happy and cheerful after losing in that fashion only to be asked questions soon there after that had NOTHING to do with the game he just played.

The ONLY reason that RGIII gave the response he did about sitting behind Manning, is because he's not expected to go #1 so he will likely say what he thinks everyone wants to hear, in an attempt to move up in the draft...he also had the benefit of being asked the question WEEKS (not minutes) after his last game...and he had time to prepare his answer accordingly.

Anyone who honestly wants RGIII over Luck, or thinks that RGIII will be better, needs to have their heads examined.

Me along with many others including NFL GMs think RG3 will be better I guess we need our heads examined. Also please show me when he has needed put speed on a ball and has done it.

Also why would RG3 want to move up to a worse team? Or is it that RG3 doesnt think hes a once in a decade prospect and really wants to learn from Peyton?

It's not wanting to move up to a worse team, it is all about more money. With the CBA, first pick draftees make more $$$ than second pick draftees.

Me along with many others including NFL GMs think RG3 will be better I guess we need our heads examined. Also please show me when he has needed put speed on a ball and has done it.

No doubt there are some NFL GMs and others who think the RG3 is a better pick than Luck. However, I still think the overwhelming majority of NFL GMs and NFL scouts think it is the other way around.

I have not heard of one single NFL GM who thinks RGIII will be better than Andrew Luck...if that is true, i'm sure you will gladly provide a link to sources backing up that claim, correct?

GEEEZ MAYBE BECAUSE HE'LL HAVE A BETTER CHANCE AT WINNING WITH A TEAM THAT ISNT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE NFL. With the new CBA it doesnt really matter going 1 or 2 your not gonna get THAT much more money. So you would rather go to a team you can win with so you can get that BIG payday after the rookie deal

Comparative statistics last season:

Luck rushing attempts : 47

RG3 rushing attempts: 179

Peyton (1997 Volunteers) rushing attempts: 49

ok?

RG3 CMP 291 ATT 402 YARDS 4293 CMP% 72.4 YPA 10.68 TD 37 INT 6

LUCK CMP 288 ATT 404 YARDS 3517 CMP% 71.3 YPA 8.71 TD 37 INT 10

Whats your point?

ok?

RG3 CMP 291 ATT 402 YARDS 4293 CMP% 72.4 YPA 10.68 TD 37 INT 6

LUCK CMP 288 ATT 404 YARDS 3517 CMP% 71.3 YPA 8.71 TD 37 INT 10

Whats your point?

My point was to address the comment above about how OK rushing QBs are in the NFL.

I had previously addressed the problems with a rushing college QB who thinks he can rush in the NFL (ala young Vick, current Tebow) resulting in multiple concussions and early retirement ala Steve Young, and Tebow right now recovering from rib injury.

Further, I supplied college rushing attempts statistics to support the idea that Luck does not rush as much as RG3, and played more like Peyton when he was in college.