Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano agrees to a contract extension, Grigson retained [Mega-merge]

Lef

37 minutes ago, TrueColt! said:

As hard of a fan I am. This may be the beginning of the end for me. I can't take this anymore. Year after year, we clearly see our weaknesses and keep them around. These coaches done ripped thru 3 QBs this season. "He's been doing it for 3 years now, has he not"... I'll never forget that crappie Pags said. Not that he would try to get him a line. But to throw Luck under the bus like it's his fault he's getting killed back there. Then look, lacerated kidneys. I would've fired him then. The season was already over with that type thinking. All we're gonna do is beat our division again....if that, they starting to get better than us. I'm just gonna sit back and watch this season play out but I think I'm done. I don't even want another team. On to bball...Go Cavs!!

I just dont get it. Why don't Colt fans demand Excellence?? WHY? Why are you content with Beating the jags, texans, titans yearly and then getting bashed by the Steelers, Pats and every other good team in the NFL? Its a complete joke. AFC South title here we come and you fans are perfectly ok with that.  

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's relevant. Just doesn't fit your narrative. 

It's relevant to you.  I wasn't impressed. And I'm even less impressed with you constantly repeating it doesn't matter who they beat.  Squeaking out victories against turd teams....wow.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

He didn't say 'in all the years.' He said 'through four years.' 

And record-wise, it's not close to being debatable. 

Ah, was going off memory...turned it on a few minutes late, but heard it once or twice I thought.  A big compliment for sure.  Not as crazy when you get the words wrong lol.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think they clearly sensationalize. I think they suck at fact-checking (Pagano wanted Chud, but Grigson forced him to hire Pep?), and I don't think any of them actually pay attention to anything football related. 

This story was weird from the beginning, but before there was ever any indication that Grigson and Pagano had beef, the media jumped to wild conclusions (Pagano not getting an extension means it's Super Bowl or bust?) Once they did that, they had to ride the train till it stopped. 

I'm very torn about the decision. But my favorite part is all these media know-it-alls who declared as unassailable fact that Pagano was gone being left in the dark and ultimately wrong in the end. Maybe they'll focus on the facts a little bit better.

Don't get your hopes up...

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think they clearly sensationalize. I think they suck at fact-checking (Pagano wanted Chud, but Grigson forced him to hire Pep?), and I don't think any of them actually pay attention to anything football related. 

This story was weird from the beginning, but before there was ever any indication that Grigson and Pagano had beef, the media jumped to wild conclusions (Pagano not getting an extension means it's Super Bowl or bust?) Once they did that, they had to ride the train till it stopped. 

I'm very torn about the decision. But my favorite part is all these media know-it-alls who declared as unassailable fact that Pagano was gone being left in the dark and ultimately wrong in the end. Maybe they'll focus on the facts a little bit better.

The media got a hold of some exaggerated misinformation this summer....that's when it started.  Then they had to run with it all season because they were just too lazy....or illtrained or uncaring...to follow up on the original reports.

The team confirmed Grigson will also return in the same capacity after a lengthy meeting throughout the day on Monday. Irsay added in Monday's press conference that Pagano pushed to have Grigson get an extension. The two are now "contractually tied" together, as Irsay put it. Although the relationship between Grigson and Pagano was described as toxic as various times during the season, Rapoport was told that it was closer to two passionate professionals with mutual respect.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000617775/article/colts-chuck-pagano-agree-on-fouryear-extension

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Until people willing out themselves as a source this is going to continue to happen. The local guys could have talked to 3/4/5 guys to verify certain aspects, and all of them could have agreed. It's the reporter who's left high and dry when things don't come to fruition. 

Im not gonna disagree that local guys can't be blow hards. But these guys live and breath Indy sports, and are given daily access we fans can only dream of. I'm willing to bet that after 8hrs a day for 4yrs they have acquired pretty solid insight and sources. If they learn or are told something, it's kinda there duty to report it.....we as fans just get bent out of shape if it is or isn't true because we think we know better, or because we read something else from another reporter who heard it from his 3/4/5 sources....it's never ending and it's exhausting. 

Just now, BOTT said:

It's relevant to you.  I wasn't impressed. And I'm even less impressed with you constantly repeating it doesn't matter who they beat.  Squeaking out victories against turd teams....wow.

100% crap. Team goes 6-3 without their best player and you act like it's child's play. I'm not saying Pagano should be ushered into the HOF, but this bad team overachieved, and it's not even acknowledged because 'those teams were turds.' 

Nonsense. It's one thing to not think he's a good coach. It's hypocritical to give zero credit to him for the good stuff. 

Just now, Superman said:

100% crap. Team goes 6-3 without their best player and you act like it's child's play. I'm not saying Pagano should be ushered into the HOF, but this bad team overachieved, and it's not even acknowledged because 'those teams were turds.' 

Nonsense. It's one thing to not think he's a good coach. It's hypocritical to give zero credit to him for the good stuff. 

Well, now that God has informed me that it's 100% crap and nonsense I have changed my mind. 

Chuck, if you are reading, I was very impressed with your wins over those turds. I take it all back.

15 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Well, in fairness, the Cowboys, for instance, lost Romo for most the year and played a bunch of crap teams and they're what, 2-14 without Romo, unable to beat teams like Philly and NYG, both sub-500 teams even once.

EDIT - that was a horrid run-on, but it's late and I don't care and you're smart enoguh to know what I mean LOL

7 minutes ago, IndyTrav said:

Until people willing out themselves as a source this is going to continue to happen. The local guys could have talked to 3/4/5 guys to verify certain aspects, and all of them could have agreed. It's the reporter who's left high and dry when things don't come to fruition. 

Im not gonna disagree that local guys can't be blow hards. But these guys live and breath Indy sports, and are given daily access we fans can only dream of. I'm willing to bet that after 8hrs a day for 4yrs they have acquired pretty solid insight and sources. If they learn or are told something, it's kinda there duty to report it.....we as fans just get bent out of shape if it is or isn't true because we think we know better, or because we read something else from another reporter who heard it from his 3/4/5 sources....it's never ending and it's exhausting. 

I don't mind reporting. It's the increasingly blurry line between reporting and editorializing that bothers me. 

11 minutes ago, IndyTrav said:

The sources were probably AQ Shipley, Donald Brown, and Dwayne Allen.

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Well, now that God has informed me that it's 100% crap and nonsense I have changed my mind. 

Chuck, if you are reading, I was very impressed with your wins over those turds. I take it all back.

That's all I was asking for. Recognize me...

In all seriousness, everything doesn't have to be extreme.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just to add to this Jim Caldwell had a full season with a back up QB and couldn't win half the games that Pagano won with back up QBs this year.  I am not saying that's completely apples to apples but that underscores how hard it is to win with a back up QB in this league.  Add to that that other back ups around the league won closer to 33% of their games this season while Pagano won 66% of his with back up QBs.

The problems this team needs to look at is why they went 2-5 with Luck in there.  They handled the games without him well for the most part. 

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, in fairness, the Cowboys, for instance, lost Romo for most the year and played a bunch of crap teams and they're what, 2-14 without Romo, unable to beat teams like Philly and NYG, both sub-500 teams even once.

Pagano stinks, just maybe not as bad as Jason Garrett.

plus,,the colts actually had a viable backup.  Dallas did not.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't mind reporting. It's the increasingly blurry line between reporting and editorializing that bothers me. 

I've always looked at things like this when Doyle or Kravitz write something and it's just their opinion that doesn't bother me nearly as much as when a guy like Holder starts offering his opinion.  Holder is paid to be a beat writer and report on facts and not offer his opinion.  Doyle and Kravitz are columnist and are paid to write their opinions. 

59 minutes ago, TrueColt! said:

As hard of a fan I am. This may be the beginning of the end for me. I can't take this anymore. Year after year, we clearly see our weaknesses and keep them around. These coaches done ripped thru 3 QBs this season. "He's been doing it for 3 years now, has he not"... I'll never forget that crappie Pags said. Not that he would try to get him a line. But to throw Luck under the bus like it's his fault he's getting killed back there. Then look, lacerated kidneys. I would've fired him then. The season was already over with that type thinking. All we're gonna do is beat our division again....if that, they starting to get better than us. I'm just gonna sit back and watch this season play out but I think I'm done. I don't even want another team. On to bball...Go Cavs!!

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...wah

The sources were probably AQ Shipley, Donald Brown, and Dwayne Allen.

Mark these words:

When Dwayne Allen signs with another team, he'll have some kind of snide remarks to make about his time here the same way Jerry Hughes did when he left.

I've said since day 1 that I don't think Allen likes having been drafted after Fleener and having to share the targets with Fleener. Allen strikes me as a "me" guy. He wants to be the primary TE the way Dallas Clark was here for so many years, and it's miffed him that things have not gone that way for him. Just my opinion, no evidence (that'll surely make some heads explode) but just watch because he'll have something to say about his time here before he sees the field again.

I'm not at all sad to see him on the way out.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I've always looked at things like this when Doyle or Kravitz write something and it's just their opinion that doesn't bother me nearly as much as when a guy like Holder starts offering his opinion.  Holder is paid to be a beat writer and report on facts and not offer his opinion.  Doyle and Kravitz are columnist and are paid to write their opinions. 

I don't read Doyle; hardly read Kravitz. But yes, there's a difference between columnists and beat reporters. 

As for Holder, he does a decent job. I just hate his questions at pressers. 

Just now, Superman said:

I don't read Doyle; hardly read Kravitz. But yes, there's a difference between columnists and beat reporters. 

As for Holder, he does a decent job. I just hate his questions at pressers. 

Your not missing much by not reading Doyle, he honestly just stirs the pot.  That's all he does. 

"Always has been (a good relationship)," Pagano said. "We agree to disagree, but at the end of the day you leave every meeting with a handshake and a hug. It's about one thing and one thing only, the team. We're going to do everything with the 'shoe in mind."

Irsay said: “If you think somebody’s going to bully my head coach, you’re wrong. Ryan’s not that type of guy. And you don’t know me."

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/01/04/colts-keep-coach-chuck-pagano/78284658/

"I could have walked someone in that door with an eight-figure (salary) a year and say, 'I'm making a big splash,'" Irsay said. "If that was the best for us, I would do it. This guy is a great coach. (Bill) Polian is going to the Hall of Fame, and Ryan's outdone him in his first four years (making the playoffs three times to Polian's two)."

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's all I was asking for. Recognize me...

In all seriousness, everything doesn't have to be extreme.

Well, at least you made me chuckle....

I didnt think my not being impressed was extreme.  I was impressed with their wins against the Texans and Bucs....they actually looked well coached and sharp all things considered.

their other wins was like watching two prelim bums fighting and wondering who would fall first.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Well, at least you made me chuckle....

I didnt think my not being impressed was extreme.  I was impressed with their wins against the Texans and Bucs....they actually looked well coached and sharp all things considered.

their other wins was like watching two prelim bums fighting and wondering who fall first.

Well dang, that's somethin...

You're just mad we're not gonna hire Saban. You'll get over it, but next Monday probably won't help.

25 minutes ago, IndyTrav said:

I think you are comparing Kravitz and Doyel to the traditional definition and expectation of what an editorial used to be.

Back in the old days, those op ed pieces were reserved for special pages in the newspaper, not just blended in with the news copy.  And the editorials did not cite sources for their opinions (which makes it look like news).  Those editorials were clearly the opinions of the writer, who backed them up with reason...not someone else's hearsay. 

Kravitz and Doyel do not support their opinions with reason..they say  "my guy told me this is what happended"

1 minute ago, Superman said:

You're just mad we're not gonna hire Saban. You'll get over it, but next Monday probably won't help.

In fairness a lot of the people happy tonight are going to be calling for Pagano's job as soon as the Colts lose their next game too.  

11 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Mark these words:

When Dwayne Allen signs with another team, he'll have some kind of snide remarks to make about his time here the same way Jerry Hughes did when he left.

I've said since day 1 that I don't think Allen likes having been drafted after Fleener and having to share the targets with Fleener. Allen strikes me as a "me" guy. He wants to be the primary TE the way Dallas Clark was here for so many years, and it's miffed him that things have not gone that way for him. Just my opinion, no evidence (that'll surely make some heads explode) but just watch because he'll have something to say about his time here before he sees the field again.

I'm not at all sad to see him on the way out.

I think DA is still bitter about not being on the season's calendarhaha

Just now, Superman said:

I had already given up on Saban....Bama is probably his last job.

Just now, BOTT said:

Pagano stinks, just maybe not as bad as Jason Garrett.

plus,,the colts actually had a viable backup.  Dallas did not.

I won't hold my breath that they'll all the sudden get everything fixed, but there's something to be said about continuity I suppose.  Maybe it's better to stick with guys for a little too long as opposed to change GMs/HCs every 3 or 4 years.  What do I know? Had the next guy not worked out, we'd be even further in purgatory than we already are.

I am not shocked.  They wanted him back and made that known.  I know Irsay said that and the fans wanting Pagano back didn't play a factor in his decision but I do think the players did at least a little.  That was going to be one unhappy lockerroom if Chuck wasn't brought back.  I think they would have gotten over it but it wouldn't have been easy. 

just got home and heard the news. Actually pretty relieved as I fear the unknown. I have a question for everyone in this thread. Would you of rather had gone 6-10 and got a draft pick 8-10 spots earlier with a new coaching staff. Or went 8-8 like we did and got the 18th pick and kept Pagano and Grigson.

I'm actually thinking it might be better to have the lower pick just to keep our guys.