Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano agrees to a contract extension, Grigson retained [Mega-merge]

Lef

2 minutes ago, jackinbox said:

I wish internet message boards existed back when the Pacers drafted Reggie Miller over Steve Alford.  It would be fun to go back and read those posts.  This thread reminds me of all the armchair GMs back then who were calling into radio shows and writing letters to the Star proclaiming that the front office were a bunch of "*s".

I have faith in this team and look forward to us having a successful season next year.  

Hahah Indy almost ran the Pacers out of town over that one.....but Reggie won the city though. My favorite all time basketball player even over MJ. 

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Irsay seems to view this mediocre season as an anomaly. A combination of slow start, bad luck and injury. I view it more as a combination of bad roster moves and questionable coaching and game planning. With the division slowly starting to get better, I think Irsay is in for a rude awakening the next couple years barring Grigson hitting a series of homeruns this off season. Doubt that's going to happen. This was the chance to start fresh across the board as Andrew nears his big money/prime portion of his career. Irsay better hope he got this right.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

... I'm not convinced on Pagano. I have reservations about Grigson. 

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. I think Chuck needs some help, though, starting with upgrading his staff. Schematically, this staff has to be better.

This is key going forward. The tricky part is whether Pagano himself is clever enough to realize where he needs better staff around him to compliment his weaknesses. If we don't see any staff changes at all, I will remain skeptical of this extension. I would love a new DC and O-line coaches to see whether that could improve things, but I assume that is the consensus here.

Regarding Grigson, he need help too. He seems to be very good at the salary cap management - which is very important - but talent evaluation isn't top notch in the organization. It needs to be, so I would like to see some upgrade on the staff here as well.

Pagano and Grigson both have their strong sides - it is how they manage their weak points that will define them the next years.

He made an ill-advised comparison with Ryan Grigson and Bill Polian.     Basically said Grigson's first four years as GM are better than Polians.

I'm very, very sorry he said that.    He looks terrible for saying that.   And Grigson looks bad too.     No one compares those two.     Goodness,  that's a bad, bad mistake.

Here's one story about it...........

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/1/5/10713744/jim-irsay-says-ryan-grigson-has-outdone-bill-polian-to-start-tenure-with-colts

I think out of all outcomes this is obviously the least expected. 

The one thing Pagano has always had in his favor before was that the players love him and will play for him, and up until this season I'd have said we had one of the most united locker rooms. However it would seem that the cracks began to show and reading between the lines of comments made by players they were very much on the side of Chuck during the power struggle. If what has been rumoured is true (that Grigson was interfering in Game Day lineups) then it's an untenable position as a HC. 

Given that, I could have seen Pagano staying on the basis he's had his hands tied behind his back so for both to stay is a little crazy. Either some major fence mending has been done or the rumoured conflict isn't as great as we'd been lead to believe. 

Personally I find it hard to see how these two men can work together and out of the two I'd have chosen Pagano over Grigson. While he has deficiencies as a coach I do think he can't be fully judged until he's been allowed to do his job with the full powers you'd expect the position entitles. 

Either way the choice has been made now. 

If we don't make the Playoffs next season and go deep like the Final 4 again then I will have a problem. Irsay didn't panic and is sticking with this. People saying they are mad or will boycott the season because Chuck is back learn how to have patience. Bad seasons happen. We didn't have Andrew for 9 games. Lets see how this Draft goes, etc.. I am fine with this. Maybe Irsay is thinking nobody else out there is worth firing Chuck over either and Harbaugh is more likely to leave after a 2nd year in Michigan as well. Patience my friends.

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Irsay always signs the contracts.  But Chuck probably feels more capable of telling Grigson to take a hike if he wants.

Yes, I'm guessing there were a few things hammered out that we are not privy to so I'll look at this as "tweaking a cylinder" instead of rebuilding the whole engine..... we'll see next year whether or not it took.

Polian hit on about as many draft and FA pick ups as Grigson has in his first 4 years. They are not that far apart in my mind with the exception that you have hindsight to review Polians whole career and only 4 years of Grigsons. Polish was a polished and brash GM coming in so he made his missteps elsewhere as a rookie GM. I don't fault Grigson for making errors or misses here and there, Irsay clearly expected a few bumps with him as he grew. He bought in for the maturation of Grigs in hopes that he builds a winner in what should be a long tenure of successful years to come with Luck. 

Grigson while not absolved from his actions at times, he isn't a bad GM while learning how to manage an NFL team on the fly.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He made an ill-advised comparison with Ryan Grigson and Bill Polian.     Basically said Grigson's first four years as GM are better than Polians.

I'm very, very sorry he said that.    He looks terrible for saying that.   And Grigson looks bad too.     No one compares those two.     Goodness,  that's a bad, bad mistake.

Here's one story about it...........

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/1/5/10713744/jim-irsay-says-ryan-grigson-has-outdone-bill-polian-to-start-tenure-with-colts

How do you figure I don't like the mistakes Grigson has made either but the fact of the matter is Grigson and Pagano haven't had a losing season and Manning and Polian had two in their first four years.

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

How do you figure I don't like the mistakes Grigson has made either but the fact of the matter is Grigson and Pagano haven't had a losing season and Manning and Polian had two in their first four years.

So when you look at it we could be stuck with a lot worst man from me these two are hanging on by a very thin threat one more bad move or another bad season like this and we will all be saying why didn't we fire atleast one of these two.

Pat Kirwin says if a GM hits on 60% of his draft picks (is on the roster making solid contributions or better), then he is HOF material.  If he hits on 50%, he is a good GM.  It is the the areas below that determine decent from bad etc... depending upon the %.

Maybe Irsay had someone run the numbers?  Would be interesting to to a peek at.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Okay good. So it wasn't just me who thought that. I was going back and forth with some guy in another topic because I said the comment was really distasteful.

Couldn't let Grigson stand on his own accolades. Had to use Polian to talk him up.

He basically had to "justify" Grigson to the media. 

After not getting an announcement last evening this is what I expected.  I actually dont mind this as it takes a long time to build a perpetual winner.  Lets face it if you look around the league where teams are constantly blowing things up ( Browns, Dolphins to name a couple ) they have little to no success.  Hopefully the continuity will work in our favour.  We just need a few pieces and we will be the team we on this board want so hopefully we concentrate on the lines and go from there.

GO COLTS

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agree really stupid comparison - Grigs is not BP and likely will never be.  Further the drafts /moves his first four years IMO are much worse than BPs!   I dont care about the team record - his draft picks/moves clearly werent the reason for those "team" records!

And there were way too many ummmmm uhhhhh ummmmmm uhhhhh ummmmms from Irsay last night - and Grigs used it way too often as well.   Tells me there still exist a whole lot of uncertainty right now ...

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I've never heard of Duke Tobin, but the Bengals are probably the best overall team in the NFL talent-wise. They just don't have a QB who can lead them. If Tobin had something to do with that, then I would have been all for him. Hue Jackson I like as well. Simple choices, I was expecting someone like Mike Shanahan from you lol.

They also have a coordinator disguised as a HC.   I think Marvin Lewis is a lousy game day coach.  People like to say that Dalton can't win the "big" game, but Marvin has been losing the big game since Dalton was in middle school. 

I think the Polian- Grigson comparison was a bit silly, but I agree he was trying to play up Grigson. 

I I think the biggest mistake Irsay makes is continuing to go back to the Manning/ Polian era , and applying lessons to the Luck era, because he didn't win as many Super Bowls that he wanted. That was a good era of Colts football, and just let the history lie. Forget that, and just build a good team around Luck with the GM and coach you have now. 

I wish the Orioles had won the 69 and 71 World Series, but they only won in 70. It would have been a dynasty , and I think those teams were better than the Mets and Pirates, but it didn't happen. But they stayed stable got back in 79, and won in 83. The point is you have to move forward, be thankful for the success you had, and try to win in the future. The Manning era was very good, and the Luck era has yet to be fully written. 

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think both Irsay and Grigson learned free agency isn't the answer.  Which does mean we will probably have to be a little patient as this means going back to the draft with a free agent here or there.  That will take a little time to plug holes.  

Especially now that luck will be paid his worth

Whether we like him or not, Bill Polian is a HOF GM.  He did great things and provided us winning seasons every year.  I was 'kinda' happy with the Super Bowl years.  When he had Chris as GM.....may be the worst decision of his entire career.  

Grigson is starting his career.  He is obviously still sucking his pacifier.  He wants to coach and GM.  That does not work.  Just ask the late Bob Irsay..among others.

There needs to be some wording in the contracts that give Pagano more power.  If not, we will be starting the likes of Mike McGlynn, Todd Herremans, and Jonathan Harrison.  (Disregard typos)

My question will be....who will be the offensive 

Coordinator and Defensive Coordinator??

Go Colts.  I think Pagano staying will be great.  Not so great with Grigs....but.......

Just another media hit piece on the Ruling Class to feed the readers who like hit pieces on the Ruling Class.

SB acknowledges the first four years are better, but then criticizes Irsay for simply making a simplified statement the second time around.  What a bunch of Marxists comments.  The Ruling Class can do no right.

I think Jim's point wasn't so much to compare Grigson to Polian, but to point out that Polian/Manning had problems in their early years, too.  I've had the same thought -- and I think highly of Polian (not so much of Grigson).

I don't think the message was supposed to be Grigson > Polian.  I think the message was supposed to be: Polian's a hall of fame GM, and he had rough spots too.