Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bad Draft for G, Trade?

The  guard position looks the worst.   Landon Turner is being called a zone blocker only, and the kid from Ohio State is tiny.  There are some converted OT that might be interesting.  Both tackles from Arkansas look promising, and Alexander from LSU looks like a third round pick to me.  We definately are not going to be lucky enough to get a Larry Warford, Gabe Jackson, or even an AJ Cann.  If we can't draft one, and nobody releases anybody good in FA, we have a problem. Would you trade for a guard or two.  Some promising guys I'm looking at are Shaq Mason out of New England, John Miller out of Buffalo, and Spencer Long from Washington.  All of these guys are aggressive with starting experience.  I've not really heard of anyone trading for a guard, and I am wondering if it could be done and how much we would have to give up to get one of these guys.  Mason was a fourth round pick on a deep team, what kind of pick would New England need?  Spencer Long was a third round pick, but he wasn't used heavily until this year.  Is it possible to get one of these guys for a decent price?

I

1 hour ago, Coltscrazy said:

The  guard position looks the worst.   Landon Turner is being called a zone blocker only, and the kid from Ohio State is tiny.  There are some converted OT that might be interesting.  Both tackles from Arkansas look promising, and Alexander from LSU looks like a third round pick to me.  We definately are not going to be lucky enough to get a Larry Warford, Gabe Jackson, or even an AJ Cann.  If we can't draft one, and nobody releases anybody good in FA, we have a problem. Would you trade for a guard or two.  Some promising guys I'm looking at are Shaq Mason out of New England, John Miller out of Buffalo, and Spencer Long from Washington.  All of these guys are aggressive with starting experience.  I've not really heard of anyone trading for a guard, and I am wondering if it could be done and how much we would have to give up to get one of these guys.  Mason was a fourth round pick on a deep team, what kind of pick would New England need?  Spencer Long was a third round pick, but he wasn't used heavily until this year.  Is it possible to get one of these guys for a decent price?

I

I'm not in favor of drafting a guard, but there will be plenty.    There always are....

Because in addition to all the guards out there,  (and you didn't even mention the best, Stanford's Josh Garnett, the Outland Trophy Winner)   you can always move a lesser tackle inside to guard.    Lots of guards come up and out from no where.

But I hope we sign a FA guard and draft a tackle.    Premium position gets a premium draft pick.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not in favor of drafting a guard, but there will be plenty.    There always are....

Because in addition to all the guards out there,  (and you didn't even mention the best, Stanford's Josh Garnett, the Outland Trophy Winner)   you can always move a lesser tackle inside to guard.    Lots of guards come up and out from no where.

But I hope we sign a FA guard and draft a tackle.    Premium position gets a premium draft pick.

More on Josh Garnett please 

1 minute ago, SP_21 said:

More on Josh Garnett please 

Garnett is a 2-year starter at LG and he played a lot as a 6th and 7th lineman that Stanford loves to use.

Garnett is nearly 6'5" and 320 pounds.   He's agile enough to pull and lead the sweep.   He's not only smart,  he's driven to be good.    Not only does he want to play in the NFL,  when he's done with that he wants to be a doctor.

And not just a doctor, but a surgeon.   And not just a surgeon,  but a trauma surgeon!    You don't see that everyday.

He's the top-OL on one of the top OL's in the country.      But my preference is for the guy to his left,  Stanford's Left Tackle,  Kyle Murphy.     He's a good pass blocker, but a better run blocker, so I think he'd be perfect to be Indy's starting Right Tackle.   Nearly 6'7" and 300 pounds.   Athletic, light on his feet, a lot like Castanzo.

Sebastian Tretola, OG Arkansas. Co-Winner of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy. In 25 games he has allowed a half sack. 6'5 334 lbs. 

LeRaven Clark, OT Texas Tech. Can play RT or RG. Played LT @ Texas Tech and had to go up against Emmanuel Ogbah. He held his own against one of the best DE in college football.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree we need to draft a RT. A kid I have had my eye on is Pearce Slater SDSU he will start moving up boards. Maybe we get him in the 4th or trade down in the 3rd.

I am guessing everyone would feel better about one of the big names in the 2nd. It just depends on how the draft goes. Maybe Staley falls to 18th. What to do there...not likely I know. 

We sign a FA C to me that has to be our top priority.  We need a real C on the O Line. The leader can't be the weakest link. Holmes is a joke never healthy below average. It was time to move from him when Shipley was here.

I'd like to get Wisneeski or Jones. I would settle on a place holder. I don't want in the Mack sweepstakes. The other 2 guys are 26 & 25, not place holders.

I hope Grig's doesn't make the Holmes mistake again. The C position has killed us year after year. You need stable at least average play. We have neither. Then draft a RT somewhere in the middle rounds. 

We know have Castonzo, Mewhort, A REAL C, Thorton, RT. Now all of a sudden our weakest link is Thorton.

Maybe we bring in a G too. If not we know Reitz can play RG. Don't know much about Heenan yet. We are overdue to hit on an OLineman maybe Heenan is the guy. 

I like Jeff Allen in KC. He's coming off his rookie deal 26yrs old. He has played both G spots and RT. No more of the over 30 guys. KC has some guys to sign on D Berry, Smith etc 

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

You can just move Reitz to guard if you sign/draft a tackle. 

This. . . although I think Thornton's improved. . . But I think if the Guard draft class is weak then you draft a tackle and let Reitz and Thornton battle it out at RG.  

I was incredibly disappointed with the Ohio State kid decion to return.  I mean, good for him, its his choice.  I just liked watching film on the kid and thought he'd bring a mean streak to the Colts OL.  Pat Elflein, tha'ts it.  Dude was a mauler.  USCs Max Tuerk played C but he could move over to G with relative ease and still be just as effective.  USC pulled him as a C - shows good burst and quickness to get the edge.  Gets to the second level and comfortable blocking in space - will miss on occasion, but not at an alarming level.  His pass blocking is overall good, but not great.  Above average when absorbing bull rushes.  In one of the games on DB, he had a very costly penalty for unnecessary roughness late in the 3rd that caused a 3 and out.