Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hasselbeck: retirement on hold

GoColts8818

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

So both of the guys who played yesterday were signed through 2016.  I would be good with Freeman competing for it because his physical skills are similar to Luck.

no. they were both signed to one year deals

Just now, CR91 said:

but hes not signed for next season is he? once march comes around hes a free agent

According to Phil B, Freeman and Lindley are under contract for 2016. Probably non guaranteed, but either way, they won't be free agents in March unless they're released. 

4 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Probably just not updated in the wake of Black Monday. Multiple Colts reporters saying they are, which is greater than it should be (didn't think it would matter before this year).

5 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I doubt Spotrac has actual details yet. Those look like vet minimum deals prorated for one week, which is a reasonable assumption, until new information comes out. Spotrac updates as they get new information.

34 minutes ago, CR91 said:

then just have lindey and freeman duke it out for the backup spot

We can really really do better for a backup QB then Lindey or Freeman.  

There is a reason both these guys where available in Week 17.  

The fact that any Colt's fans want to degrade our backup job to Lindey or Freeman is nauseating.  

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

The fact that any Colt's fans want to degrade our backup job to Lindey or Freeman is nauseating.  

That can literally be said for around 99% of the backup QB's in the league, We have 2 QB's who were former starters who produced at a serviceable level as starters......Most QB's in the league don't offer that...especially one that's as young as Freeman (27...28 in 9 days)

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Not many others were better off than we were as evidenced by all the injuries we saw this year. I can't think of many teams other than the Pats, Broncos, Texans, and Giants having better backup QBs.

15 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Probably just not updated in the wake of Black Monday. Multiple Colts reporters saying they are, which is greater than it should be (didn't think it would matter before this year).

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

I doubt Spotrac has actual details yet. Those look like vet minimum deals prorated for one week, which is a reasonable assumption, until new information comes out. Spotrac updates as they get new information.

That very well could be...just figured I'd check and post since they did have at least some details of their contracts with the Colts.  

22 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Like who?    Did you watch the game yesterday? 

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Freeman has the tools and apparently the desire.  I didn't like what I saw from Lindley when he was with the Cards.  But he had a nice series yesterday.  Still, not a lot to base it on but I'd pick either of them over a rookie FA.

What I did see from yesterday and the games MH played while healthy - when we have a QB that can throw the ball more than 15 yards, we're a decent team.  And Chud can call a good game to get the most out of them.

43 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No because I was busy and didn't want to watch a 4th string QB play under center.  The fact that those guys looked decent against a terrible Titans defense that had no reasons to win and a lot of reasons to lose is MEANINGLESS.  The Titans where playing for the #1 overall pick, not the playoffs.

They have sucked majorly in their recent jobs which is why they where available in week 17.

In terms of who we could get that's better.  Drew Stanton, Matt Moore, Matt Schaub, are all good examples.

The Arizona Cardinals last year where winning games with Drew Stanton at the helm after Palmer was hurt.  Then Stanton was hurt and they had to rely on Lindley (the same Lindley everyone here likes) and they suddenly sucked.

Like half the list of FA QB's is better then Lindley if you look at their whole careers as opposed to 1 freaking game against a terrible defense on a team that was gunning for the #1 pick.  

There is a thing they say about Tebow. . . if he where any good he'd be on a roster.  The same holds true for both those guys. . . if they where any good they would have been on a roster in Week 17.  

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

No because I was busy and didn't want to watch a 4th string QB play under center.  The fact that those guys looked decent against a terrible Titans defense that had no reasons to win and a lot of reasons to lose is MEANINGLESS.  The Titans where playing for the #1 overall pick, not the playoffs.

They have sucked majorly in their recent jobs which is why they where available in week 17.

In terms of who we could get that's better.  Drew Stanton, Matt Moore, Matt Schaub, are all good examples.

The Arizona Cardinals last year where winning games with Drew Stanton at the helm after Palmer was hurt.  Then Stanton was hurt and they had to rely on Lindley (the same Lindley everyone here likes) and they suddenly sucked.

Like half the list of FA QB's is better then Lindley if you look at their whole careers as opposed to 1 freaking game against a terrible defense on a team that was gunning for the #1 pick.  

Freeman didn't suck in tampa.  And I would rather have him than any of the guys you mentioned 

34 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Freeman didn't suck in tampa.  And I would rather have him than any of the guys you mentioned 

Of course he didn't suck that's why he's on his 4th different NFL team in 2 years after tampa.  

His stats say differently anyways.  2011 his 3rd year in the league. . . 16 TD's and 22 Int's

His 3 games in Tampa before he was cut 45.7 % comp.  In his one game for the Vikings 37.7%

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Of course he didn't suck that's why he's on his 4th different NFL team in 2 years after tampa.  

His stats say differently anyways.  2011 his 3rd year in the league. . . 16 TD's and 22 Int's

His 3 games in Tampa before he was cut 45.7 % comp.  In his one game for the Vikings 37.7%

Who didn't regress under schiano?

He is a better option at backup qb than matt Schaub and Matt moore 

We are talking minimum contracts likely for back up guys. I'm sure Supes could figure it out once he sees the details but these guys probably don't even count towards the cap. I may be mistaken but only the top 53 contracts count towards the cap. Even if we turn around and cut them we likely would have no cap implications..just money owed. These seem like harmless signings. Now we have rights to these guys all offseason etc and can get them into our offseason programs etc if we choose to do so.

Nothing wrong with bringing both back to compete for the backup job and maybe bringing in another QB to compete for the job. 

The thing I like about Freeman is that plays like Luck.  You wouldn't have to change the offense if something were to happen to Luck again and they had to go to Freeman.  With that said he's not nearly as good as Luck and there is a very strong case to be made for reminding people the Colts were playing the worst team in the league in the Titans.  If Freeman wasn't going to do something against them then yeah people are right he couldn't play in the NFL.

Like I said I'd bring him back to compete for the backup job but unlike with a Hasselbeck it wouldn't just be his job he would have to win it. 

5 hours ago, Jason_S said:

I'm a Spotrac guy....  very good site....   but it's often a bit slow to get the latest update.

I wouldn't read too much that they don't have the Freeman/Lindley news about 2016 as yet.

I'm willing to accept this news at face value.    I think it's good....

Just my two cents....     (and often not worth that much!)     :thmup: