Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts pick 18th [Merge]

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

Looking at what Luck went through.  If Jake Scott is available at 18, and Diem is available in the second the Colts need to pull the trigger this year bottom line

I don't think those guys will be available.  They were already drafted years ago

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I like your thinking here, but I think the CB pool in the vet FA market is pretty deep, so I would head there for that.  That would free up a draft pick for another LB in the third, inside or outside.

I'd like that 2nd round RT to be able to play G too, so if Good or Reitz steps up at T, the draftee can play RG. 

Doug....

I'm with you in wanting a FA CB to replace Toler.     I also want to spend a 3rd on another CB.    I wants lots of quality corners!

(I'm a greedy SOB)       :thmup:

12 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Draft a new tightend - Ryan

Well, if we don't re-sign Fleener and Allen, we would have to.....early in the draft.  We already have Doyle and Swoope for the off-TE/backup..so we would need a TE with talent.  That means probably the 3rd round or before. 

I can see the new GM making that pick and waiting until the 4th to draft a C.

There's no way they don't pull the trigger on a pass rusher picking at 18. Calhoun, Ogbah, Floyd, Lawson, etc...might all be there. 

Yes we need O-Line help but there won't be a can't miss guy that you have to take at 18.

Heck, depending on how the HC/GM situation plays out, we might even roll the dice on a guy like Nkedimche.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

There's no way they don't pull the trigger on a pass rusher picking at 18. Calhoun, Ogbah, Floyd, Lawson, etc...might all be there. 

Yes we need O-Line help but there won't be a can't miss guy that you have to take at 18.

Heck, depending on how the HC/GM situation plays out, we might even roll the dice on a guy like Nkedimche.

With Jaylon Smith injury...he could possibly slide down to us. I would pull that trigger

38 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Doug....

I'm with you in wanting a FA CB to replace Toler.     I also want to spend a 3rd on another CB.    I wants lots of quality corners!

(I'm a greedy SOB)       :thmup:

1 minute ago, James Harden said:

With Jaylon Smith injury...he could possibly slide down to us. I would pull that trigger

In today's NFL more QUALITY CB's are necessary....especially ones that can provide help in the run game. Also.....may I dare say, that I think when executed perfectly, a CB blitz is a thing of beauty!

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Nkedimche is absolutely horrible IMO, I wouldn't draft him til the 4th round. Too many issues both on and off the field to even consider at 18, huge risk and huge bust IMO.

13 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

There almost never is, except that year we drafted AC and he fell to 22 I think.

Yes, we need to look at the draft grades for pass rushers.  Good ones usually go before 20 if they have the first round grade.

Just now, DougDew said:

There almost never is, except that year we drafted AC and he fell to 22 I think.

Yes, we need to look at the draft grades for pass rushers.  Good ones usually go before 20 if good ones have the first round grade.

How has Leonard Floyd looked in the last few games? I know his stock dropped a bit and I didn't get to see if he recovered or not. He's a natural 3-4 OLB that would fit our scheme, but I'm not sure where in the 1st round he is projected right now.

11 minutes ago, James Harden said:

He's my favorite player in the entire draft. His injury has lowered my opinion slightly on him, but at 18, there's no way I would pass him up. This was a thought after the bowl game that we could get him and his injury may be a blessing in disguise for a team in the teens. I hope it's us!

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

How has Leonard Floyd looked in the last few games? I know his stock dropped a bit and I didn't get to see if he recovered or not. He's a natural 3-4 OLB that would fit our scheme, but I'm not sure where in the 1st round he is projected right now.

Idk, but the pick needs to be a OLB and not a DE, like some of them are listed and projected.  I think Floyd is a OLB.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes, we need to look at the draft grades for pass rushers.  Good ones usually go before 20 if they have the first round grade.

The only can't miss O-lineman are Tunsil and Stanley who will be gone.

There are some great edge rushers that will be available.

Just now, DougDew said:

Idk, but the pick needs to be a OLB and not a DE, like some of them are listed and projected.  I think Floyd is a OLB.

Floyd is an OLB, don't worry. He's a natural 3-4 OLB that could help us a lot. I definitely don't want a DE either. We have plenty of solid players on the defensive line. It's definitely our strongest defensive unit, especially when Anderson is back next year. 

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The only can't miss O-lineman are Tunsil and Stanley who will be gone.

There are some great edge rushers that will be available.

I don't like Tunsil.  Weird..but he looks top heavy with long skinny legs.  He'll have an ACL within 3 years.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Floyd is an OLB, don't worry. He's a natural 3-4 OLB that could help us a lot. I definitely don't want a DE either. We have plenty of solid players on the defensive line. It's definitely our strongest defensive unit, especially when Anderson is back next year. 

Shaq Lawson is an ideal 3-4 OLB too because he's 6'3" which some teams might think is too small to be a strong side DE.

But I'll admit that Floyd is the best natural 3-4 OLB prospect.

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

So if we would have lost to the Dolphins and Titans where would we have picked??

12th with the loss today, I'm guessing top 10 pick if we went 6-10. It really stinks. There was no point in winning these matchups. It brings temporary joy until you realize we could of had someone like Hargreaves, Ramsey, Jack, or even Ronnie Stanley if we moved up to top 8.

34 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Heck, if the last few years have proved anything, its that there's no such thing as a "can't miss offensive lineman."

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

12th with the loss today, I'm guessing top 10 pick if we went 6-10. It really stinks. There was no point in winning these matchups. It brings temporary joy until you realize we could of had someone like Hargreaves, Ramsey, Jack, or even Ronnie Stanley if we moved up to top 8.

Totally agree should have lost the last 2 and got the pick we need more talent then people like to admit 

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Totally agree should have lost the last 2 and got the pick we need more talent then people like to admit 

Just now, DougDew said:

We could've trade down to our current 18 slot and picked up a third...maybe a second.

Exactly, I don't mind picking a player at 18, I mind not being at 18 after trading down from 12 and getting an extra pick that nets us a solid player on day 2 of the draft. It's absolutely ridiculous. We gained nothing from that win, and it's a double loss because the Titans have the no1 pick now.

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Shaq Lawson is an ideal 3-4 OLB too because he's 6'3" which some teams might think is too small to be a strong side DE.

But I'll admit that Floyd is the best natural 3-4 OLB prospect.

I think Lawson is 280.  Unless he's a freak, that's too heavy to expect him to do anything other than play the run or rush, 4-3 DE type stuff.  Not that the rush LB does much else other than that.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Exactly, I don't mind picking a player at 18, I mind not being at 18 after trading down from 12 and getting an extra pick that nets us a solid player on day 2 of the draft. It's absolutely ridiculous. We gained nothing from that win, and it's a double loss because the Titans have the no1 pick now.

Yup, Chuck was very motivated and worked very hard this week to stick it to Management on his way out......

30 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

In today's NFL more QUALITY CB's are necessary....especially ones that can provide help in the run game. Also.....may I dare say, that I think when executed perfectly, a CB blitz is a thing of beauty!

I think McKensie Alexander would be a sure thing if he would be there when the Colts pick. He has so much upside, can tackle, and is great in man coverage.

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

I think McKensie Alexander would be a sure thing if he would be there when the Colts pick. He has so much upside, can tackle, and is great in man coverage.

I used to be really high on Vernon Hargreaves III, now I think he may be a possible bust and a guy to avoid. I would take him at 18, but he's not the top CB on my list anymore. I like McKensie as well, he fits our scheme and is aggressive. I thought we may be reaching a bit if we took him, but I'm somewhat on board after seeing Hargreaves get beat constantly in the bowl game.

7 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I say we fix the OL in FA. Then draft pretty much all D. Except maybe a RB in the 3rd.

Lets compromise, we take Osemele to be our new RG out of FA, then we draft Taylor Decker to be our new dominate RT. We then have a dominate line for Luck to play with for his career! We'll take a RB in the 5th.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Lets compromise, we take Osemele to be our new RG out of FA, then we draft Taylor Decker to be our new dominate RT. We then have a dominate line for Luck to play with for his career! We'll take a RB in the 5th.

I'd use our 1st rounder on the best pass rusher on the board. Or some other defensive player personally. I think Reitz is ok at RT next year. Especially if we bring in a good Guard and Center.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

I'd use our 1st rounder on the best pass rusher on the board. Or some other defensive player personally. I think Reitz is ok at RT next year. Especially if we bring in a good Guard and Center.

I have to disagree with this. People like Reitz are the reason Luck got injured so bad this year. Our offensive line was offensive. Decker is a dominate, natural RT. If he fell to us, we'd be lucky. I know I'm being over cautious taking a RT in the 1st, but we can't afford for Luck to get hurt again like this year. Not only won't he get hurt, but he'll have lots of time to pass and can carve up defenses like 2014. I really want Luck to have that chance to do it consistently.