Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts pick 18th [Merge]

I hate to think about tanking, but regardless, just one more loss, today would have given us the 12th pick or

13th position. We would have flipped coins with Oakland at 7-9. Still, I believe Jaylon Smith will be there at 18th since he will not be available next year until October at the earliest. Many teams need players immediately. I would be willing to wait on him.

Eh, pass on Smith. Too much uncertainty surrounding his injury, and not a significant position of need over offensive line and cornerback.

I really believe a lot of our pass rush deficiency stemmed from Manusky. Robert Mathis and Trent Cole know how to sack QBs yet they, and the rest of the defense have consistently struggled to get pressure.

Either Mathis and Cole are not good players (spoiler: they are) or it's something else. (Spoiler: it is)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I hate to think about tanking, but regardless, just one more loss, today would have given us the 12th pick or

13th position. We would have flipped coins with Oakland at 7-9. Still, I believe Jaylon Smith will be there at 18th since he will not be available next year until October at the earliest. Many teams need players immediately. I would be willing to wait on him.

I admit it, I wish they would have lost.  When you Are desperate for difference makers you need all the options you can get.  Higher pick = More options

14 minutes ago, Archangel said:

No Guards worth picking in first round all guards are projected in 2nd round by ranking but their is 4 tackles projected in the first round

But tackle isn't the problem since most of the pressure comes up the middle. 

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Indy needs all the picks they can get so trading away high draft picks isn't smart.

If that's the case there's not much difference between the 13th and 18th spot, which is about what was at stake. You never know what's going to happen on Draft day and who might be there. 

18th pick huh? At least we didn't get 19 or 20. I'm aiming for Taylor Decker with this pick at this point before the draft. Natural RT that can dominate for the rest of Luck's career. We need solid bookend tackles, and Decker can give us someone dependable on the right side.

1 minute ago, Solon said:

What no shows are you talking about? Take away the Pittsburgh game and we played every quality opponent tough. 

Jets, Bills, Jags, Steelers all were very bad losses. And with the uncertainty with Luck, I wouldn't count on him tearing up another quality defense in the playoffs.

Just now, BProland85 said:

Jets, Bills, Jags, Steelers all were very bad losses. And with the uncertainty with Luck, I wouldn't count on him tearing up another quality defense in the playoffs.

I was hoping we'd lose today as well. Pretty pointless game with 9 things needing to go right. 12th pick would of been great. Could of had leverage to trade down and had possibly 3 second round picks in this draft if we fully went for it. Plenty of ammo to fix this team's weaknesses. 18th pick it might be better to go BPA. Time to concentrate on the draft, at least it's better than the 22nd pick after going one and done.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

colts need a right tackle if correct and you are correct by the problem of the colts interior lineman  but by the rankings of all positions which included guard position and center position are very weak this year  

4 minutes ago, Archangel said:

colts need a right tackle if correct and you are correct by the problem of the colts interior lineman  but by the rankings of all positions which included guard position and center position are very weak this year  

LTs are the only position on the oline worthy of a pick at 18...not RTs.  So unless people want to move AC to the right side, we won't be drafting a T at 18.  And Gs aren't either...so it looks like a defensive player in round one.

1 hour ago, JR Indy said:

First pick RG, Second Pick a rush OLB, Third Pick Right Tackle.  This draft I do not want to hear about the best available player.  All I want to hear about is the best available pass blocker, or pass rusher.

That's a good looking draft board, I wouldn't even be up set if we did 1st Rg , 2nd c/rt/ pass rusher 

LTs are the only position on the oline worthy of a pick at 18...not RTs.  So unless people want to move AC to the right side, we won't be drafting a T at 18.  And Gs aren't either...so it looks like a defensive player in round one.

Umm alot of the best guards go around there so if there is a guard or tackle or pass rusher we pull the trigger and let the best man play 

2 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Umm alot of the best guards go around there so if there is a guard or tackle or pass rusher we pull the trigger and let the best man play 

Yeah, they go there but they're overdrafted because they are not worth it.

1 minute ago, jbaron04 said:

Absolutely. If Taylor Decker, an excellent RT is there at 18, I'd be foaming at the mouth to grab him and put him opposite Constanzo.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That logic is way outdated. I would agree if you said top 10, but top 18, anything on the line is open if the talent is good enough. You wouldn't take Decker at 18?

1 minute ago, jbaron04 said:

That's a good looking draft board, I wouldn't even be up set if we did 1st Rg , 2nd c/rt/ pass rusher 

Me too, the Colts need to do whatever it takes to protect Luck.  If that means breaking the draft board rules you know the BPA, so be it.  Luck hurt with a sore kidney and the Colts missing the playoffs.  WOW.  Get that man some protection!!!

59 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

OK man keep Fleener, but it is hard for Fleener to catch these type of TD passes (which is few and far between) when the guy that is suppose to be throwing him the ball is hurt on the sidelines because of a lack of blocking.  I say it again I WAS WRONG KEEP FLEENER.  Sign him to whatever he will demand.  But I hope they draft someone that will block.

I think Doyle will be the blocking TE, or they will sign one as a FA to replace Allen.

Remember, Fleener caught 8 TD's last year.     He's a weapon when used properly.   But he was rarely used properly this year.....    

(Sorry,  didn't mean to be a jerk about it.....   :peek: )

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Doyle will be the blocking TE, or they will sign one as a FA to replace Allen.

Remember, Fleener caught 8 TD's last year.     He's a weapon when used properly.   But he was rarely used properly this year.....    

Fleener definitely needs to be kept. Keep Fleener and Doyle and let Allen go. Sign a FA to replace Allen sounds great. When Luck plays next year, Fleener will be used a lot more effectively, of course, it will also depend on the new coach and his playbook as well.

34 minutes ago, BOTT said:

The problem with Fleener is he is a pass catching TE who isn't much more effective than Jack Doyle on short routes.  Catch ball....get hit....go down.

Right,  except when he's catching long TD's like he did..........  TODAY!

He'll catch short passes that are somewhat longer when we have an OL that can block and give a QB some time to throw the ball.      Otherwise,  Coby is running short because the QB's have to get rid of the ball fast!

2 minutes ago, Archangel said:

Ifedi can play both LT and RT so yes i would put him above springs the only problem with ifedi is he is a little grabby something that can be fixed otherwise a very solid player 

Sounds great, it might be worth trading down, picking up a 2nd or 3rd round pick, and then drafting him in the 1st round. I'll look into him when I get the chance, thanks for the quick response.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey doc its all good, we (Colts Nation) are all upset about missing the playoffs, and seeing what could have and should have been this year.  I just want to see this team at the top of the league not the top of the draft.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Let's be honest here it doesn't matter if you draft a guy a couple spot to early if they turn out to be good , after 2 or 3 years no one cares if u draft the top Guard at 18 when the mock said he should go at 28 , all I care about at this point is first and foremost is fixing this offensive line, either to pass block better and be able to run the ball to protect our qb. If you have watch this season you know I'm not lien. But im not saying that we take a guy in the first round that is slotted as a 3rd rounder or even that we try to out smart our selves and reach I'm simply saying if there is a guard with first round talent we take a hard look at him .

25 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Let's be honest here it doesn't matter if you draft a guy a couple spot to early if they turn out to be good , after 2 or 3 years no one cares if u draft the top Guard at 18 when the mock said he should go at 28 , all I care about at this point is first and foremost is fixing this offensive line, either to pass block better and be able to run the ball to protect our qb. If you have watch this season you know I'm not lien. But im not saying that we take a guy in the first round that is slotted as a 3rd rounder or even that we try to out smart our selves and reach I'm simply saying if there is a guard with first round talent we take a hard look at him .

In most year's, the difference in talent in Gs from round 1 to round 3 is much much less than the difference in talent in OLBs or CBs.

The position with the most disparity in talent between rounds is QB, and every body understands that, and it has to do with position importance too.  Many folks just seem to have blinders on when it comes to looking at other positions.

39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't know why people under rate guards and centers draft stock like this when they have watched the turn stile with the Colts over the years I mean I missed the Ryan l  and jake Scott days and the worst of our worries was a Ryan deim holding penalty 

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There may not be any interior linemen in this draft worthy of the 18th overall pick, but in past drafts mid-late 1st round is an area where some of the better interior linemen get drafted.  The way this draft is looking, a RT could be a possibility at #18.  Colts spent this entire season with no depth at tackle and it hurt when AC was out.   Reitz was good this year and actually stayed healthy, but they really need to get a 3rd quality tackle.  Reitz could continue to be the starter or be great depth depending on how a rookie RT was developing.  I think RT at #18 is not out of the question.

5 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

I don't know why people under rate guards and centers draft stock like this when they have watched the turn stile with the Colts over the years I mean I missed the Ryan l  and jake Scott days and the worst of our worries was a Ryan deim holding penalty 

Jake Scott was drafted in the 5th round and Diem in the 4th.

Germain Ifedi OT Texas AM might be good at 18 projected late first round

STRENGTHS: Thickly built and tough to move from his spot, using stout angles to wall off run lanes and beat up defenders. He has vines for arms and uses his reach to create separation between him and rushers.

WEAKNESSES: Does tend to get grabby with his wild, heavy hands.

IN OUR VIEW: Ifedi is practicing at both left and right tackle.

PLAYER OVERVIEW

After redshirting in 2012, Ifedi became a starter in 2013 at right guard before moving to right tackle as a sophomore last year.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right,  except when he's catching long TD's like he did..........  TODAY!

He'll catch short passes that are somewhat longer when we have an OL that can block and give a QB some time to throw the ball.      Otherwise,  Coby is running short because the QB's have to get rid of the ball fast!

I'm not questioning his ability to make plays downfield.  But we have 3 receivers who should be able to do that.  I question his ability to be that safety valve type that some many tight ends are.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So,  we're picking 18th, and roughly 49th (maybe 50h)  and roughly 81st (maybe 80th)....

Personally,  hoping for OLB/Pass Rush,  then a RT,  and then a CB.

I'd like a new center and guard in free agency.    

I like your thinking here, but I think the CB pool in the vet FA market is pretty deep, so I would head there for that.  That would free up a draft pick for another LB in the third, inside or outside.

I'd like that 2nd round RT to be able to play G too, so if Good or Reitz steps up at T, the draftee can play RG. 

I know that some times u get lucky like that but I believe we need to invest high picks in oline to find that other Guard or rt that we need, I mean if we have to go rt number 1 and c/g number 2 we need to address it and stop trying to gamble on finding the jake Scotts late round picks 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Looking at what Luck went through.  If Jake Scott is available at 18, and Diem is available in the second the Colts need to pull the trigger this year bottom line

I like your thinking here, but I think the CB pool in the vet FA market is pretty deep, so I would head there for that.  That would free up a draft pick for another LB in the third, inside or outside.

I'd like that 2nd round RT to be able to play G too, so if Good or Reitz steps up at T, the draftee can play RG. 

I'm not convinced either Good or Reitz is the answer at Right Tackle.   And I think a decent one can be found in the 2nd round picking around 50th.

If we decided to solve that in the first round -- so be it.    But I'm not wild using a 1st round pick for a right tackle.  And I'm not wild about waiting until the 2nd round to address the pass rush.

But,  for some odd reason,  the organization does not hire me as a consultant and they don't appear to pay much attention to my posts?!    

Can you imagine that?!?       :dunno:          :scratch:          :console:

4 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

Looking at what Luck went through.  If Jake Scott is available at 18, and Diem is available in the second the Colts need to pull the trigger this year bottom line

I certainly wouldn't criticize the GM for doing that, but that leaves awfully big holes at OLB and CB, especially when Reitz is pretty good at RT.  At the Pass Rusher and off-CB positions, we got nobody and still wouldn't next season if we are waiting until round 3 to get talent there.

Should be able to get a solid lineman there.  It would be great if a pass rusher or center is there at that pick.

If not odds are a right tackle will be.  If I were running the Colts I would go with a tackle and then draft another guard/center in the second round if there is one there.  That would give them 4/5's of a solid o-line.