Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Osweiler's Passing Motion

18Manning

Is it because he's so tall his pass motion looks odd? I can't quite place what looks strange (at least to me). It almost looks like he's pushing the ball out, not stretching his arm out (overhead) as much as other QBs? I don't know. Does it look strange to anyone else?

20 hours ago, Bogie said:

At least his passes aren't wobbly and look horrendous like Manning's have all year. 

The thread was about Osweiler..

He throws a little like Phillip Rivers....He needs to throw over the top more so defenders cant tip his tosses..

Use his height like Joe Flacco does

I believe it's his height. I have also thought his throws appear awkward at times, but he's really doing well so far.

There are some obvious disadvantages to being that tall.   It seems his face will be easier to read by defenses, and I've also heard there is more of a risk of injuries. :dunno:  

Tall Qbs typically have very long throwing motions (because they have long arms). He has a long wind up. He also doesn't throw over the top like Peyton or some others do. By throwing over the top you do lose some velocity but in return you gain height (resulting in less tipped passes), the motion is easier to repeat and typically more accurate, and it is said to cause less wear and tear on the arm. As tall as Brock is you would think he wouldn't get as many balls tipped but he drops down on his throwing motion so he really gives up the height advantage. The other thing that was a good point that Gruden brought up the other night is that safeties and linebackers can read his eyes very easily...he will need to learn to look them off or he will struggle to get the ball into tight windows.