Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Whalen Billy Winn to IR, other roster moves

RockThatBlue

7 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeah it sucks that he got hurt on that play, but that play reduced our chances of winning drastically. He fumbled, the game changed. Not a lot of different ways to look at that.

No.....    but some people write stuff like "Good riddance..."   and then act surprised when others take offense....

Sorry,  but I hate lousy fans,  and that's a lousy fan.

I thought they should have called Okine up sooner in the season, but oh well.  With some consistent playing time I wouldn't be surprised if he would have helped solidify the run game and made a few more plays than we got out of T.Y. Mcgill.  Plus he's strong enough to get some push in the backfield.   Also glad to see Quarles get called up.  They'll probably make him inactive though, or they'll decide to start him and leave Okine on the bench which would be a bit of a head scratcher for me.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good riddance?

Wow.....    just pathetic.....      

More crappy Colts fans...

I'm clearly not the only person glad to see him go. I'm sure you were happy when Satele or Landry or someone along those lines was released. Don't go passing judgement on others so easily. We're all entitled to our own opinions here, but don't call me a "crappy" fan when I haven't missed a game in 15 years. There is no need to start throwing out personal insults to other members of this board.

1 hour ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

I'm clearly not the only person glad to see him go. I'm sure you were happy when Satele or Landry or someone along those lines was released. Don't go passing judgement on others so easily. We're all entitled to our own opinions here, but don't call me a "crappy" fan when I haven't missed a game in 15 years. There is no need to start throwing out personal insults to other members of this board.

I've been happy when lots of players left.

But I never -- not once -- wrote crap like "Good riddance"....

Seeing every game for 15 years is great.....   but it's not a "get out of jail free" card.    

But writing crap like "good riddance" makes you a bad fan.

It's the kind of thing a young punk kid would write,  not a grown man mature enough to know better.

And you know better...........     just saying....

1 hour ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

No clearly it's your angle of thinking, last time I looked this was a fan forum!

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've been happy when lots of players left.

But I never -- not once -- wrote crap like "Good riddance"....

Seeing every game for 15 years is great.....   but it's not a "get out of jail free" card.    

But writing crap like "good riddance" makes you a bad fan.

It's the kind of thing a young punk kid would write,  not a grown man mature enough to know better.

And you know better...........     just saying....

Sorry if you were offended but I personally see nothing wrong with it, and at the very least, four other people didn't as well.

On 12/22/2015 at 10:29 AM, Patrick Miller said:

Whalen was under used imo. The guy catches everything. Yet another bad decision by colts management. I Just can't understand why They refuse to use players that are effective....shipley comes to mind.

whalen fumbles the ball constantly.  you can't keep letting him touch the ball

plus he just isn't a good football player.  so there is also that

7 minutes ago, dudeski said:

whalen fumbles the ball constantly.  you can't keep letting him touch the ball

plus he just isn't a good football player.  so there is also that

but to accuse Whalen of single handedly losing the game is ludicous beyond  belief !!!  :::smh::::

and he does NOT constantly fumble the ball.  I've seen him make lots of great catches.  Not sure what games you were watching  LOL

33 minutes ago, JlynRN said:

but to accuse Whalen of single handedly losing the game is ludicous beyond  belief !!!  :::smh::::

and he does NOT constantly fumble the ball.  I've seen him make lots of great catches.  Not sure what games you were watching  LOL

They just don't get it, probably never will LOL!

50 minutes ago, JlynRN said:

you have not seen him make "lots of great catches"

that simply hasn't happened.  whalen is one of the worst football players the colts have had on their roster in the last 5 years or so.  he has fumbled at least 6 times in the last 2 years with very limited touches. 

whalen should have never made the team this year.  how such a terrible football player became a fan favorite is beyond me. 

On 12/22/2015 at 11:29 AM, Patrick Miller said:

Whalen was under used imo. The guy catches everything. Yet another bad decision by colts management. I Just can't understand why They refuse to use players that are effective....shipley comes to mind.

YES!! He was criminally under-utilized and misused until Chud took over. The guy catches everything and consistently converts 1st downs. Way too many people seem to only remember the few mistakes Griff's made, but forget that he's often the only one keeping drives alive.

We see so often in game threads "we just need a possession WR to convert 1st downs instead of going long." You have that guy, just don't acknowledge or appreciate what he does for you.

You all have friend-zoned Griff Whalen...

2 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

Is Billy Winn now a FA? If so, I really hope we bring this kid back.. I really like him.

He is a Free Agent after the season is over. If Indy keeps the current defensive scheme, or one similar, I hope they bring him back as he shouldn't cost much and is a very solid depth piece on the d'line.

15 hours ago, Shive said:

YES!! He was criminally under-utilized and misused until Chud took over. The guy catches everything and consistently converts 1st downs. Way too many people seem to only remember the few mistakes Griff's made, but forget that he's often the only one keeping drives alive.

We see so often in game threads "we just need a possession WR to convert 1st downs instead of going long." You have that guy, just don't acknowledge or appreciate what he does for you.

You all have friend-zoned Griff Whalen...

Luckily, we will probably never see whalen play again.  He just simply can't play in this league

4 minutes ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

He was released before the shooting incident. Needless to say, he probably won't be back.

I missed that. I was thinking this happened previous to his release and the arrest happened a few days after the incident. I think your correct

On 12/24/2015 at 3:41 PM, dudeski said:

Luckily, we will probably never see whalen play again.  He just simply can't play in this league

When he was used correctly, he was extremely effective. Catches everything and runs good routes. He's not a physically gifted WR or a world-beater, but he makes plays that.our other WR's don't make often enough (converting 3rd downs).

On December 26, 2015 at 0:31 AM, Shive said:

When he was used correctly, he was extremely effective. Catches everything and runs good routes. He's not a physically gifted WR or a world-beater, but he makes plays that.our other WR's don't make often enough (converting 3rd downs).

All he does well is fumble.  The dude was horrible

18 minutes ago, dudeski said:

All he does well is fumble.  The dude was horrible

He has 4 fumbles this season, lost 2. He's only had 1 as a WR, the other 3 were as a returner, which is a completely different position. He's no longer returning, so that's not relevant. If you're basing your opinion of Whalen solely off of fumbles, you automatically want to reconsider....

8 minutes ago, Shive said:

He has 4 fumbles this season, lost 2. He's only had 1 as a WR, the other 3 were as a returner, which is a completely different position. He's no longer returning, so that's not relevant. If you're basing your opinion of Whalen solely off of fumbles, you automatically want to reconsider....

4 fumbles on how many touches? It's not like he is touching the ball as much as Gore and has fumbled 4 times. I don't care what position, a fumble is a fumble and his touch/fumble ratio can't be that good. I like to root for the under dog as much as the next guy, and I wish Whalen was the possession receiver everyone wants him to be, he just isn't.

2 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

4 fumbles on how many touches? It's not like he is touching the ball as much as Gore and has fumbled 4 times. I don't care what position, a fumble is a fumble and his touch/fumble ratio can't be that good. I like to root for the under dog as much as the next guy, and I wish Whalen was the possession receiver everyone wants him to be, he just isn't.

So 1 fumble as a WR means he's terrible? You can't necessarily count the other 3 when talking about Whalen as a WR, as those are under different circumstances and are usually from muffling the catch on a punt/kick return.

My point with Whalen is that as a WR, when used properly, he has made plays when given the opportunity.  It's not his fault that our OC just realized that he could be used well as a safety blanket/possession WR weeks before he landed on IR. Him and Luck have great chemistry and the dude just converts first downs.

19 rec, 11 1st down conversions. That's the ratio that we should be looking at, not 1 fumble as a WR.

22 minutes ago, Shive said:

So 1 fumble as a WR means he's terrible? You can't necessarily count the other 3 when talking about Whalen as a WR, as those are under different circumstances and are usually from muffling the catch on a punt/kick return.

My point with Whalen is that as a WR, when used properly, he has made plays when given the opportunity.  It's not his fault that our OC just realized that he could be used well as a safety blanket/possession WR weeks before he landed on IR. Him and Luck have great chemistry and the dude just converts first downs.

19 rec, 11 1st down conversions. That's the ratio that we should be looking at, not 1 fumble as a WR.

No, that's not what I said. I said 4 fumbles in the few touches he had (19 receptions + kick/punt return) is too many. You want to split the stats to make your point, and that's fine, but I see it differently.

Yes, he made some big plays for us this year. He also fumbled the ball when the game was on the line. I just don't think he will ever be the receiver we want him to be and in my opinion he coughed the ball up too many times this season. We can agree to disagree.