Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Potential top 10 pick


Recommended Posts

So... lets look on the bright side.

 

The Colts are 6-8.  There are 18 teams with a worse or even record with the Colts.  7 teams are 6-8, and 9 teams are 2 games or less back on us.  There are only 2 teams the Colts are more than 2 games up on.  If the Colts lose out, and finish at 6-10, we are looking at drafting in the top 10 pretty easily.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

So... lets look on the bright side.

 

The Colts are 6-8.  There are 18 teams with a worse or even record with the Colts.  7 teams are 6-8, and 9 teams are 2 games or less back on us.  There are only 2 teams the Colts are more than 2 games up on.  If the Colts lose out, and finish at 6-10, we are looking at drafting in the top 10 pretty easily.  

I think they'll lose at Miami, then beat the Titans, and finish 7-9.  They will pick closer to 15 than 10 and unless Grigson goes with Pagano (which is all but set in stone), it is possible to still screw that up.  I would say (very hesitantly) to get an pass rusher with the 1st pick.  Then with round 2 get an OL (which 1 "good" veteran under 30 needs picked up in FA). 

 

Rounds 3-5 should be a another pass rusher (or OL), RB (Gore is getting old and may be gone anyways), CB (to replace Toler, because IDK how Smith will turn out).  If we can hit on the top 2 and get some good value in the middle rounds plus picking up only 1 big name FA, while retaining the important guys, I think this team can reload and be the SB contenders they SHOULD'VE been this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be a wee-bit biased, but the Colts need to take a HARD look at Austin Blythe (C) out of Iowa in this year's draft. Would be a hell of a steal for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Dude is an absolute mauler and a workhorse. Iowa lineman, especially one as highly regarded as Austin, typically do VERY well transitioning to the NFL.

 

Check out his highlight video. https://twitter.com/ChrisRuthIOWA/status/666773079620620288

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no way the Colts would pick 20th.  20th will go to a team with at least 9 wins, and that ain't the Colts.  Currently the Colts pick 14th and it look difficult to break into the top 10.  But a pick in the 13-17 range seems reasonable if the Miami game is a loss.  Heaven help us if we lose to Tennessee.

 

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/12/20/10631624/2016-nfl-draft-order-chargers-titans-browns

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, crazyrob said:

There's no way the Colts would pick 20th.  20th will go to a team with at least 9 wins, and that ain't the Colts.  Currently the Colts pick 14th and it look difficult to break into the top 10.  But a pick in the 13-17 range seems reasonable if the Miami game is a loss.  Heaven help us if we lose to Tennessee.

 

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/12/20/10631624/2016-nfl-draft-order-chargers-titans-browns

If Whitehurst is our QB vs Miami and Tennessee....we will be losing both those games.  I actually hope we do

Link to post
Share on other sites

It won't matter where the Colts pick if Grigson is still around to screw it up. That old "BPA" philosophy only works when it's BPA in a position you desperately need to fill. Get some studs for the O line and a monster pass rusher, then worry about what else is out there later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If Whitehurst is our QB vs Miami and Tennessee....we will be losing both those games.  I actually hope we do

Well unless Luck is ready, there is no sense in making MH take any more punishment than he already has.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If Whitehurst is our QB vs Miami and Tennessee....we will be losing both those games.  I actually hope we do

At least he can throw the ball more than 15yrds downfield. I believe we at least move the ball better the second half with Charlie playing

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If Whitehurst is our QB vs Miami and Tennessee....we will be losing both those games.  I actually hope we do

 

I don't disagree that I think we will lose the last two games -- I think we will lose both of them anyway (not that they are unwinnable -- neither Miami or Tenn. are world-beaters), but I actually think that Whitehurst actually gives us a better chance to win at this point than MH does. MH is so beat up and there is now plenty of game film on him that teams have caught up to him and understand he can't throw down the field.

 

When MH came back in yesterday in the 4th, I was actually wondering if we would have been better off had the Colts kept Charlie in since he was so much more mobile. That was before that awful INT to end the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

It won't matter where the Colts pick if Grigson is still around to screw it up. That old "BPA" philosophy only works when it's BPA in a position you desperately need to fill. Get some studs for the O line and a monster pass rusher, then worry about what else is out there later.

Yes a pass rusher and o-line is exactly what we need

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we lose our last 2 games I'd say we WILL be picking in the top 10. But think about it. We get a new coaching staff. Luck comes back to his old self, and we add a superstar defensive player in the 1st round. Hopefully Jaylon Smith. The kid's gonna be a star from week 1 on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

time to tank.  I was rooting to win until yesterday but now I'm on the bandwagon.  6-10 will get us close to a top 10 pick, 8-8 would put us in the late teens this year.

 

to root for tanking, you simply don't watch the games and hope for the best next year

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

If we lose our last 2 games I'd say we WILL be picking in the top 10. But think about it. We get a new coaching staff. Luck comes back to his old self, and we add a superstar defensive player in the 1st round. Hopefully Jaylon Smith. The kid's gonna be a star from week 1 on.

 

Worked in 2001 with bringing in Dungy and drafting Freeney. I feel that pass rusher is more of a priority but I don't think there is one worthy of being taken over a special talent like Smith, im on his bandwagon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ColtStronger said:

I think they'll lose at Miami, then beat the Titans, and finish 7-9.  They will pick closer to 15 than 10 and unless Grigson goes with Pagano (which is all but set in stone), it is possible to still screw that up.  I would say (very hesitantly) to get an pass rusher with the 1st pick.  Then with round 2 get an OL (which 1 "good" veteran under 30 needs picked up in FA). 

 

Rounds 3-5 should be a another pass rusher (or OL), RB (Gore is getting old and may be gone anyways), CB (to replace Toler, because IDK how Smith will turn out).  If we can hit on the top 2 and get some good value in the middle rounds plus picking up only 1 big name FA, while retaining the important guys, I think this team can reload and be the SB contenders they SHOULD'VE been this year. 

 

 15 looks about right. But i would LUV 6-10.
 We are desperate for a Pass Rusher and a CB.
 Next would be a fast ILB and a Real Center.
  Then a RB with power and BURST!
  Then a fast Safety.
  Then a ... Go Colts!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

We will not get even a top 15 pick.  We will sit somewhere around 20 due to being inept and being inept.  It's going to be a long off-season.

How will they fail to go 15th overall or better? You are looking at Whitehurst starting for a discorded, downtrodden group. Pagano is out of poker chips and motivational speaches.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ThaCaliColt said:

How will they fail to go 15th overall or better? You are looking at Whitehurst starting for a discorded, downtrodden group. Pagano is out of poker chips and motivational speaches.

 

 Luck will come back and screw it up. Where is polian when we need him!

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 15 looks about right. But i would LUV 6-10.
 We are desperate for a Pass Rusher and a CB.
 Next would be a fast ILB and a Real Center.
  Then a RB with power and BURST!
  Then a fast Safety.
  Then a ... Go Colts!

hard to believe after 14 games this season that anyone would think that OL is fourth on our list of needs. If we don't fix our OL then we need to draft more QBs cause the others are getting killed. We need to try to improve OL first and quickly and then go on to PR although if a game changing PR is available in the 1st I'd go for it and the get 2 or3 OL next. We can't fix everything in one draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

 

Worked in 2001 with bringing in Dungy and drafting Freeney. I feel that pass rusher is more of a priority but I don't think there is one worthy of being taken over a special talent like Smith, im on his bandwagon.

 

I think we need to sign Von Miller in free agency. We can afford one big contract like that and he's expected to hit the open market. I know a lot of big contracts aren't worth it but in this case he'd be worth every single penny. We need a star edge rusher. Miller is maybe the best OLB in the NFL. He'd give us 15 sacks every season. That alone would make our entire defense that much better. Then if we draft a special talent like Jaylon Smith at ILB then our defense looks totally different next season. Smith would finally give us an athletic, playmaking, sideline to sideline ILB who can cover, stop the run, blitz the QB, DO IT ALL. Jaylon Smith is going to be one of the elite LB's in the NFL IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

 

I think we need to sign Von Miller in free agency. We can afford one big contract like that and he's expected to hit the open market. I know a lot of big contracts aren't worth it but in this case he'd be worth every single penny. We need a star edge rusher. Miller is maybe the best OLB in the NFL. He'd give us 15 sacks every season. That alone would make our entire defense that much better. Then if we draft a special talent like Jaylon Smith at ILB then our defense looks totally different next season. Smith would finally give us an athletic, playmaking, sideline to sideline ILB who can cover, stop the run, blitz the QB, DO IT ALL. Jaylon Smith is going to be one of the elite LB's in the NFL IMO.

 

There's really no logical reason why but I feel like we'd be the team to sign Von Miller and watch him turn into one of the most unproductive players in the league.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

 

I think we need to sign Von Miller in free agency. We can afford one big contract like that and he's expected to hit the open market. I know a lot of big contracts aren't worth it but in this case he'd be worth every single penny. We need a star edge rusher. Miller is maybe the best OLB in the NFL. He'd give us 15 sacks every season. That alone would make our entire defense that much better. Then if we draft a special talent like Jaylon Smith at ILB then our defense looks totally different next season. Smith would finally give us an athletic, playmaking, sideline to sideline ILB who can cover, stop the run, blitz the QB, DO IT ALL. Jaylon Smith is going to be one of the elite LB's in the NFL IMO.

I agree. We need to get younger and if we sign anyone from Free Agency they need to be 27 or younger. Von is only 26 so I think he would be Trent Cole on steroids.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. We need to get younger and if we sign anyone from Free Agency they need to be 27 or younger. Von is only 26 so I think he would be Trent Cole on steroids.

 

This is all very possible. Not a pipe dream. Think about our defense with a 2nd year Henry Anderson and David Parry, Von Miller, Janorris Jenkins, and Jaylon Smith added to it. We'd instantly have a really good young defense full of playmakers.

 

  Anderson - Parry - Langford

Mathis       Smith   DQ         Miller

 

Davis    Adams    Geathers    Jenkins

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

 

This is all very possible. Not a pipe dream. Think about our defense with a 2nd year Henry Anderson and David Parry, Von Miller, Janorris Jenkins, and Jaylon Smith added to it. We'd instantly have a really good young defense full of playmakers.

 

  Anderson - Parry - Langford

Mathis       Smith   DQ         Miller

 

Davis    Adams    Geathers    Jenkins

I really like Parry a lot. If we can Draft someone like Ogbah and add Miller and Adams and Davis can stay healthy we may have something to be feared.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

 

This is all very possible. Not a pipe dream. Think about our defense with a 2nd year Henry Anderson and David Parry, Von Miller, Janorris Jenkins, and Jaylon Smith added to it. We'd instantly have a really good young defense full of playmakers.

 

  Anderson - Parry - Langford

   Mathis - Smith - DQ - Miller

 

Davis    Adams    Geathers    Jenkins

Really don't think we have the money for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now we would pick at number #17. Here is an analysis from NFL.com

 

17. Indianapolis Colts 
2015 record: 6-8 (.538) 
Top need: Offensive tackle 
Other needs: Cornerback, outside linebacker, running back 
Senior prospects at positional needs: OT: Vadal Alexander (LSU), Taylor Decker (Ohio State), Spencer Drango (Baylor); CB: Maurice Canady (Virginia), Danzel McDaniel (Kansas State), Will Redmond (Mississippi State); OLB: Jordan Jenkins (Georgia), Dadi Nicolas (Virginia Tech), Terrance Smith (Florida State), Ryan Brown (Mississippi State); RB: Devontae Booker (Utah), Josh Ferguson (Illinois), Aaron Green (TCU). 
Analysis: Try as they might, the Colts are still trying to find the right combination along the offensive line. While they seem to have the left side of the offensive line put together, the right side needs to be addressed and quickly. The Colts simply aren't getting enough pass rush from the edge, and might have to make that a priority in the 2016 draft. With several cornerbacks set to become free agents in the offseason, it might not be a bad idea to replenish the position. Both Frank Gore and Ahmad Bradshaw are temporary Band-Aids at a position that needs a more permanent solution.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

Right now we would pick at number #17. Here is an analysis from NFL.com

 

17. Indianapolis Colts 
2015 record: 6-8 (.538) 
Top need: Offensive tackle 
Other needs: Cornerback, outside linebacker, running back 
Senior prospects at positional needs: OT: Vadal Alexander (LSU), Taylor Decker (Ohio State), Spencer Drango (Baylor); CB: Maurice Canady (Virginia), Danzel McDaniel (Kansas State), Will Redmond (Mississippi State); OLB: Jordan Jenkins (Georgia), Dadi Nicolas (Virginia Tech), Terrance Smith (Florida State), Ryan Brown (Mississippi State); RB: Devontae Booker (Utah), Josh Ferguson (Illinois), Aaron Green (TCU). 
Analysis: Try as they might, the Colts are still trying to find the right combination along the offensive line. While they seem to have the left side of the offensive line put together, the right side needs to be addressed and quickly. The Colts simply aren't getting enough pass rush from the edge, and might have to make that a priority in the 2016 draft. With several cornerbacks set to become free agents in the offseason, it might not be a bad idea to replenish the position. Both Frank Gore and Ahmad Bradshaw are temporary Band-Aids at a position that needs a more permanent solution.

If we finish 6-10 it could be Top 10 though or close.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

 

I think we need to sign Von Miller in free agency. We can afford one big contract like that and he's expected to hit the open market. I know a lot of big contracts aren't worth it but in this case he'd be worth every single penny. We need a star edge rusher. Miller is maybe the best OLB in the NFL. He'd give us 15 sacks every season. That alone would make our entire defense that much better. Then if we draft a special talent like Jaylon Smith at ILB then our defense looks totally different next season. Smith would finally give us an athletic, playmaking, sideline to sideline ILB who can cover, stop the run, blitz the QB, DO IT ALL. Jaylon Smith is going to be one of the elite LB's in the NFL IMO.

I just don't see Denver letting Von Miller walk. Why would they? Manning's contract will come off the books and so will Ware's after next year. Typically teams don't let young stud pass rushers leave.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kyle said:

So... lets look on the bright side.

 

The Colts are 6-8.  There are 18 teams with a worse or even record with the Colts.  7 teams are 6-8, and 9 teams are 2 games or less back on us.  There are only 2 teams the Colts are more than 2 games up on.  If the Colts lose out, and finish at 6-10, we are looking at drafting in the top 10 pretty easily.  

 

I wish this was true,  but it's more than likely false.

 

Currently  there are 18 teams with 6 wins or less.    And, of those 18, 11 of them have 5 wins or less.    So, we're not likely to get a top-10 pick with a 6-10 record.     I only wish that was true.

 

Likely we'd be picking somewhere between 12 and 18.     And that's if we finish with 6 wins.

 

If we get 7 or 8,  then who knows?

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I wish this was true,  but it's more than likely false.

 

Currently  there are 18 teams with 6 wins or less.    And, of those 18, 11 of them have 5 wins or less.    So, we're not likely to get a top-10 pick with a 6-10 record.     I only wish that was true.

 

Likely we'd be picking somewhere between 12 and 18.     And that's if we finish with 6 wins.

 

If we get 7 or 8,  then who knows?

Are you sure that's correct? How are there that many teams with 6 wins or less? 18 teams seems very high.

 

I'm only counting 10 teams that currently have worse records than the Colts. And I'm not including teams that have the same amount of losses as Indy since Indy's strength of schedule is very weak. They had one of the easiest schedules this year so they should be picking earlier than the other teams with the same record when the draft position is set.

 

With that said here is my latest mock...

 

Round 1 Pick 13: Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 2 Pick 22 (IND): Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia (A)
Round 3 Pick 13: Vonn Bell, SS, Ohio State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 22 (IND): Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville (A+)
Round 4 Pick 1 (TENN): Joe Haeg, OT, North Dakota State (A-)
Round 4 Pick 13: Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech (A)
Round 5 Pick 12: D.J. White, CB, Georgia Tech (A)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...