Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2016 Draft Approach/Team Needs

On 12/21/2015 at 2:46 PM, Pagano's Realtor said:

This roster is void of talent that you've got to take the best player available approach. I've never understood the people who say "We need to take THIS POSITION in the 1st round, THESE POSITIONS in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, etc." You cannot map out a draft like that. Would you really have the 6th or 7th best player available at some position over the best player at another position? I don't think so.

Silly because there are so many draft disappointments and these players have very little that separates them.
 And your example goes far beyond common sense.
 Your draft board, after all the research and $$ spent making it is a very large guessing game. 

Besides get real, everyone is just stating there round preference based on what they see as our needs.

What perceived talent that is available when we draft is OF COURSE unknown.
 Grigson rates an extra point or 2 to Dorsett when we needed defense. Malcolm Brown was the pick for us
period. A perfect example of best player available Failing.

And we have so many needs now because of so many failures.

And i have no doubt Mr. Irsay has worked closely with Grigson on several of our unsuccessful moves.

On 12/22/2015 at 7:36 PM, DougDew said:

I think the biggest need is pass rushing OLB.  I agree with you, but there are usually several available with good value every draft in the top 20,  so I would have no hesitation in saying that the Colts should draft one in round one.  It would be surprising if one with good value isn't there when the Colts pick. 

There are 2 guys now rated as likely in the top 8-10.
  Looks iffy in the 1st after that for a rusher.
  Combine time helps sort that out. lol

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Silly because there are so many draft disappointments and these players have very little that separates them.
 Your draft board, after all the research and $$ spent making it is a very large guessing game. 

Besides get real, everyone is just stating there round preference based on what they see as our needs.

Grigson rates an extra point or 2 to Dorsett when we needed defense. Malcolm Brown was the pick for us

And i have no doubt Mr. Irsay has worked closely with Grigson on several of our unsuccessful moves.

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying to me. I never endorsed Dorsett nor said that was a good pick, I do think you need to draft for need, obviously, but you can't just zero in on one need in each round regardless of what's available. That kind of thinking will leave you with players like Bjoern Werner littered all over the roster. Grigson's problem is that he has constantly tried to hit home runs. It's no coincidence that in baseball the list for league leaders in home runs is usually almost identical to the leaders in strikeouts. Ryan Grigson is the Rob Deer of NFL GM's. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Hind sight being 20/20. I wish we would have grabbed Randall. He would look pretty good across from Vontae. We supposedly had ties to him in the 1st too. Maybe even Smith at RT. I don't see Brown as a huge miss considering we added Anderson and Parry in the later rounds. It was unfortunate Anderson went down. He was on his way to a very solid rookie season.

It's early on Dorsett. Moncrief took a big jump this year. That trio will end up being very good.IMO It's obvious AJ is done. Carter was hype. We were not as set at WR as we thought. Things did not go well this year but DL wasn't the reason. 

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

There are 2 guys now rated as likely in the top 8-10.
  Looks iffy in the 1st after that for a rusher.
  Combine time helps sort that out. lol

I think we will find an edge rusher Floyd and Calhoon are probably first round guys we have a shot at. The guy I really like Ngakoue will go day 2 most likely. There's Ogbah and Spence too. Then Nassib and Kaulufis are both interesting. If Turay comes out he's a freak a little raw probably a guy whose over drafted. Nicals from  V Tech and Neal from LSU can get after the QB. 

We should be able to get CB help too. I like Russell from ND day 2 or King, the Clemson CB's.The kid from Tenn. That's if one of the big guys doesn't fall to us in the 1st. 

I could see CB being our 1st round pick. I don't think we are going to be close to Smith or Jack. I think DL Edge and CB talent is there the first 2 days.

There are guys like Scooby and Day that there's talk of slipping to day 3. Stryker is interesting he's a tweener maybe the next Cam to small for OLB? Where does he go? Gotta think day 3. 

Get a C in FA. That position needs to be fixed now. Maybe grab a G too or spend a 3rd or 4th on G. Pyke  Tretilo Martin are all possibilities. I'd love to see another draft heavy on D. 

1) Pass-rushing OLB.  What a mess.  Mathis and Cole dissappointed, and they're old.  Newsome had a bad Soph. season after a promising rookie one.  We need a young heir-apparent and a vet to augment.  I might be okay with Mathis coming back to be the vet, but we need a very early draft pick (read: 1st round) to set us up for the future and hopefully start right off the bat.

2) OL.  Just as big a mess.  Harrison and Holmes have had enough time, and haven't shown anything.  But there are no easy answers at Center.  I'd get a veteran placeholder in FA to improve things a little right off the bat, and keep my eyes open for about a 3rd round draftee to back up the three interior positions and be a center-of-the-future.  Thornton has exhausted everyone's patience with his injuries and under-performance.  My top FA priority is to bring in the best RG we can get.  However, I'd be inclined to go with Reitz and Good at RT (as we have bigger fish to fry in FA and the draft).

3) CB.  Yet another mess.  Davis was not good this year, Toler was bad (and is a FA), and D'Joun's season was an injury bust.  We need a new starter for Toler in FA and another early-round pick to make this a stronger corps.

On 12/21/2015 at 2:46 PM, Pagano's Realtor said:

This roster is void of talent that you've got to take the best player available approach. I've never understood the people who say "We need to take THIS POSITION in the 1st round, THESE POSITIONS in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, etc." You cannot map out a draft like that. Would you really have the 6th or 7th best player available at some position over the best player at another position? I don't think so.

So you would draft another receiver in the 1st Rd if he was the best on your board?

On 12/26/2015 at 10:38 AM, throwing BBZ said:

I wouldn't say Malcolm Brown was the pick for us as Henry Anderson was proving to be the much better player. In hindsight Randall, Darby or Kendricks would have been a much better pick and then you still could have gotten a receiver in the 2nd round in Lockett who has proven to be much better both offensively and on Special Teams.