Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OBJ

Surge89

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Lots of fussun' and fighting between Beckham and Norman..punches thrown..but .like Mayweather-Pacquiao..no damage..

Them Beckham caught the game tying TD

Not to mention he burned Norman early and had an uncharacteristic drop. It was disappointing to see how they acted today, though.

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Lots of fussun' and fighting between Beckham and Norman..punches thrown..but .like Mayweather-Pacquiao..no damage..

Them Beckham caught the game tying TD

No damage? Odell came from behind and collided into him helmet to helmet, after a play, in what could have broke Norman's jaw and ended his career. 

He should have been totally ejected out of this game for that alone, and all the fighting before hand. 

I'm just glad the Giants are done with this game, and maybe people will finally get over the hype and overrating them every single year. They haven't won 10 games now in 5 years, and only have had two seasons with 10 wins, since 2007. Luckiest team to ever win a SB, and that goes for both of them. 

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

Do you have any other instances other than today against Norman?

What? Norman has trash talked tons of people and never been in a game like this.

Beckham has shown this behavior twice in a row now and is becoming worse and worse. 

10 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

How did this subject go from Beckham to "Bountygate"? Getting a little off topic here. Anyway, if I recall, Beckham has been fined in the past for certain hits. He is temperamental and has an attitude.

Some like to bring up certain topics to troll.......

Anyway I hate the Giants now. I am glad they lost. I am so tired of that overrated over hyped up team every season.

Beckham is a jerk.......thats the only word that can come to mind that can fit anyone who acts like that.

Uncharacteristic of OBJ, I'm sure Couglin will be in his ear. I expect a big fine for OBJ.

Refs have been reluctant to eject players and seem more likely to give 15 yard penalties. I saw the Steelers OL Wallace launch himself at David Bruton's head in the afternoon, same 15 yarder.

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

Bountygate is always going to come up when a Saints fan complains about somebody being a punk or throwing a dirty hit/punch. That's not trolling. Besides,  that's better than where this was going.

Brett Favre took so much beating and yet he owned that NFCGG game.

OBJ got into it with Cortland Finnegan earlier too-

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/C90852695F1290429545425543168_41344845775.5.0.17530854238591052493.mp4?versionId=nXu8cKI9gbNkdBOGBf_ieVrGm_j3rURQ

Riverboat Ron may have to reign in his players.  It's out in the league the many of the Panthers are cocky and flagrant in showing it. And they will get some cheap shots from certain types of individuals they come up against because of it..  Definitely against the rules, but that won't stop it. 

Some teams will take other actions if they can't shut them up because of the the scoreboard.  As I hear Golic say, they may have to play with their heads on a swivel at a minimum.  But they may also take a cheap shot here and there at worst.

OBJ might get a suspension along with his FedEx letter detailing his fine(s).

To me, the refs should start taking charge of games early if they see chippiness going on like that. If they had done that earlier vs Norman and OBJ, things would be under control much more. If Norman is like Finnegan, he not only talks trash but also gives cheap shots too when he can after the whistle (whether it is to the head or not, it does not matter as long as it is after the whistle), it seems like. Remember AJ vs Finnegan several years ago, anyone?

The only way to control it is take charge of those incidents early, much like the NBA refs do, to set a tone as to how they are going to officiate it.

OBJ's fine might be in six figures while Norman's might be smaller, IMO. I don't think there will be a suspension.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I expect both players to get FedEx letters tomorrow detailing huge charitable contributions each will make via the league Front Office.

Odell will be suspended it sounds like. I honestly don't know why he wasn't ejected. If throwing punches and purposely going after someone's head can't get you ejected what the hell will?

31 minutes ago, LuckIsAwesome said:

Odell will be suspended it sounds like. I honestly don't know why he wasn't ejected. If throwing punches and purposely going after someone's head can't get you ejected what the hell will?

Do you know what else can?  Saying the "N" word in a game twice within earshot of a Ref.  {It's a language rule instituted in 2014 by the league!  1st offense is 15 yard penalty.}  I wonder if Norman and / or Finnegan was using that word to OBJ during the game?  If so, by rule, both players have to be disqualified (ejected).

We don't know the full scope of what went on out there, including the language in trash talking.

9 hours ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

I missed this game.  What the heck happened?  I keep hearing bits and pieces.  I guess I'll have to watch the highlights later.

OBJ went off the rails, he was taking shots at Norman anytime he could.  Norman is a bit of a punk, talks a lot, he even got into a fight with Cam Newton during training camp.  That doesn't excuse what OBJ did.

13 hours ago, chad72 said:

Uncharacteristic of OBJ, I'm sure Couglin will be in his ear. I expect a big fine for OBJ.

Refs have been reluctant to eject players and seem more likely to give 15 yard penalties. I saw the Steelers OL Wallace launch himself at David Bruton's head in the afternoon, same 15 yarder.

For once I completely disagree.

This is not uncharacteristic of OBJ.  There were rumors last year of his after play shenanigans and everyone squashed saying he wasn't that type of player.  Now we have multiple instances on camera this year with each instance getting worse and worse as the year goes on.  Cody Wallace launched himself because he thought AB was getting pushed after the whistle.  OBJ left his feet and targeted Norman's head didn't even attempt to jump on the pile. COMPLETELY different situations.

Norman is a known trash talker.  He does it to everyone.  But he has never been known to throw punches.  So we are saying that someone who has shown the very previous week that he is willing to throw punches (OBJ) is not at fault because of a player who is known to trash talk (Norman) is on the other side?  Yea I don't buy that one.  OBJ didn't get ejected last week and didn't get his due this week.  The only way you are going to control him is suspend him and eject him.  Because personal fouls haven't done squat.

52 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

This is not uncharacteristic of OBJ.  There were rumors last year of his after play shenanigans and everyone squashed saying he wasn't that type of player.  Now we have multiple instances on camera this year with each instance getting worse and worse as the year goes on.  Cody Wallace launched himself because he thought AB was getting pushed after the whistle.  OBJ left his feet and targeted Norman's head didn't even attempt to jump on the pile. COMPLETELY different situations.

Norman is a known trash talker.  He does it to everyone.  But he has never been known to throw punches.  So we are saying that someone who has shown the very previous week that he is willing to throw punches (OBJ) is not at fault because of a player who is known to trash talk (Norman) is on the other side?  Yea I don't buy that one.  OBJ didn't get ejected last week and didn't get his due this week.  The only way you are going to control him is suspend him and eject him.  Because personal fouls haven't done squat.

He will get fined and probably suspended for at least a game

1 hour ago, Surge89 said:

I think Norman got to him mentally, no doubt. OBJ is immature, no doubt. But there was an instance where Norman slammed him to the ground early during the game and that probably put OBJ over the edge. To me, if the refs were not going to take charge, OBJ decided to take it upon himself instead of his play doing the talking. When Norman did that, the refs should have taken charge right away, IMO. Again, highly immature on Norman's part too, just like it was punkish on OBJ's side to continue retaliating. 

Two wannabes right now who have earned some stripes on the field but not the longevity of reputation. Each one is going about gaining the notoriety in the wrong way, that is how I see it. Another instance was the Rams and Gregg Williams' D were targeting OBJ as a rookie last year by giving him late shots out of bounds and the Giants' players rallied to stick up for OBJ. Again, to me, if the refs take charge quickly because OBJ garners unnecessary spotlight and targeting, much to his own disadvantage, I do think there is less leeway for players to what they can get away with OBJ as well. Now, the refs are in the spotlight too as to what they allow vs OBJ in the future. This just brought it more to the limelight because of OBJ's retaliation. A lot of players have issues with OBJ's flash and bravado and cockiness, just like they have issues with Josh Norman's arrogance too, just like some have issues with Richard Sherman.

However, Richard Sherman, I have not seen him slam someone to the ground right after the whistle, he has gotten into a scuff with Garcon because Garcon got mad he was getting owned and tugged on Sherman's hair, if I remember right.

37 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think Norman got to him mentally, no doubt. OBJ is immature, no doubt. But there was an instance where Norman slammed him to the ground early during the game and that probably put OBJ over the edge. To me, if the refs were not going to take charge, OBJ decided to take it upon himself instead of his play doing the talking. When Norman did that, the refs should have taken charge right away, IMO. Again, highly immature on Norman's part too, just like it was punkish on OBJ's side to continue retaliating. 

Except that isn't how this happened.  OBJ claims he was not the initiator but he was the one tripping Norman out of bounds after the play and engaging on Norman before the play had been established as a run.  Norman's slamming of OBJ was after already repetitive action of OBJ instigating the incident.  You could even tell in the slam that OBJ was trying to bait a call and when he was unsuccessful THAT is when he decided to take matters into his own hands. 

Now I agree with you that they both were being punks and the refs should have taken charge but this was not a simple matter of OBJ just retaliating.  This was with intent and his intent warranted his ejection just like last week.  He will keep claiming the victim because the media allows him to. 

Two wannabes right now who have earned some stripes on the field but not the longevity of reputation. Each one is going about gaining the notoriety in the wrong way, that is how I see it. Another instance was the Rams and Gregg Williams' D were targeting OBJ as a rookie last year by giving him late shots out of bounds and the Giants' players rallied to stick up for OBJ. Again, to me, if the refs take charge quickly because OBJ garners unnecessary spotlight and targeting, much to his own disadvantage, I do think there is less leeway for players to what they can get away with OBJ as well. Now, the refs are in the spotlight too as to what they allow vs OBJ in the future. This just brought it more to the limelight because of OBJ's retaliation. A lot of players have issues with OBJ's flash and bravado and cockiness, just like they have issues with Josh Norman's arrogance too, just like some have issues with Richard Sherman.

This is what I'm speaking of. Yes I agree they are two wannabes and the refs are at fault as well.  But last year the Rams players said they were doing so in retaliation and everyone immediately said they were just making things up and that Gregg Williams reputation precedes him and they were the antagonists.  Except now we see that OBJ has shown that he has the exact same repetitive history in doing these types of play and now its just that he is retaliating?  

However, Richard Sherman, I have not seen him slam someone to the ground right after the whistle, he has gotten into a scuff with Garcon because Garcon got mad he was getting owned and tugged on Sherman's hair, if I remember right.

Yes I agree, but the same way that I haven't seen Norman throw anyone else down nor have an actual altercation on the field with anyone except OBJ and he has history already of doing so.  Your examples would be great if OBJ hasn't shown his willingness to fight on the field and play beyond the whistle, but that is not the case.  OBJ has given us quite a handful of incidents in which he is the in fact instigator.  Talking trash on the field is nothing.  It is accepted and a mental aspect of the game.  But pushing and tripping after the whistle when you aren't looking and engaging on defenders isn't.  That is as simple as I can put it.  

2 hours ago, Surge89 said:

They're both at fault, just like Finnegan / A.Johnson a few years ago.  Officials disqualified both of them at the game.  Problem solved.  League fines them each $25k.  No suspensions handed out.

If you suspend OBJ, then I agree with Tim Hasselbeck, suspend Cody Wallace too.  Both were 'cleaning up the pile' by headhunting.  Refs lost control much earlier, but on OBJ play, Norman slaps OBJ helmet on a Vereen run.

NormanSlap_zps5h0amfzp.jpg

OBJ 'cleaning up the pile', and Vereen isn't even fully down yet.

OBJ%20Clean%20the%20Pile_zpsrf998gbm.jpg

In the Steelers game, the player is fully down on the ground, yet Wallace comes in to "Clean up the pile anyway".

Wallace%20clean%20the%20pile_zpscpvkz93l

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CWs4xPUUEAAiRZf.mp4

My opinion, if the leagues suspends OBJ, they have to look at suspending Wallace and Norman as well.  Certainly they all should be hit with big fines.  But singling out OBJ for suspension in light of the other transgressions throws yet another layer of inconsistency in officiating and league punishemtn in the NFL this year.

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

They're both at fault, just like Finnegan / A.Johnson a few years ago.  Officials disqualified both of them at the game.  Problem solved.  League fines them each $25k.  No suspensions handed out.

If you suspend OBJ, then I agree with Tim Hasselbeck, suspend Cody Wallace too.  Both were 'cleaning up the pile' by headhunting.  Refs lost control much earlier, but on OBJ play, Norman slaps OBJ helmet on a Vereen run.

NormanSlap_zps5h0amfzp.jpg

OBJ 'cleaning up the pile', and Vereen isn't even fully down yet.

OBJ%20Clean%20the%20Pile_zpsrf998gbm.jpg

In the Steelers game, the player is fully down on the ground, yet Wallace comes in to "Clean up the pile anyway".

Wallace%20clean%20the%20pile_zpscpvkz93l

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CWs4xPUUEAAiRZf.mp4

My opinion, if the leagues suspends OBJ, they have to look at suspending Wallace and Norman as well.  Certainly they all should be hit with big fines.  But singling out OBJ for suspension in light of the other transgressions throws yet another layer of inconsistency in officiating and league punishemtn in the NFL this year.

I'm not arguing that they are all in the wrong.  They are.  But lets be clear on something.  What is worth an ejection?  I thought at one point it was if you throw a punch and try to start an altercation that goes beyond the regular engage of football that it was an ejection worthy offense?  If so why was OBJ not thrown out of the game last week for throwing punches?  If so why wasn't both Norman and OBJ thrown out of this game?  Diving at a pile like Wallace did is hard to prove that his intent was to injure, so I can understand that the only thing he gets is a 15 yard penalty and a fine which is just IMO.  But OBJ launched himself at Norman's head not even in the same are of the pile.  If that isn't targeting I don't know what is.  THAT is my issue.  That is clear intent, clear trash play, and if he hadn't been ejected by then why was he not ejected there?  Heck throw Norman out with him too if you want but the point remains what constitutes targeting and so unsafe that ejection is needed?  

2 hours ago, Surge89 said:

I'm not arguing that they are all in the wrong.  They are.  But lets be clear on something.  What is worth an ejection?

I agree.  If Refs would have done their job, it would not have come to those plays.  And on the play, both had disqualifiable items and both should have been immediately ejected (like AJ and Finnegan 5 years back), not given offsetting personal fouls. The headslap, the launching / spearing, and the then the knee to the face retaliation (yeah, got a pic of it) to end it... sort of...

knee%20face_zpsyjizvi5o.png

If OBJ gets suspended, I want Wallace and Norman suspended as well.  It is what is right and fair in cleaining this game up.  And I would never let this crews members perform at a Playoff or Super Bowl game this year. Period.

24 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I agree.  If Refs would have done their job, it would not have come to those plays.  And on the play, both had disqualifiable items and both should have been immediately ejected (like AJ and Finnegan 5 years back), not given offsetting personal fouls. The headslap, the launching / spearing, and the then the knee to the face retaliation (yeah, got a pic of it) to end it... sort of...

knee%20face_zpsyjizvi5o.png

If OBJ gets suspended, I want Wallace and Norman suspended as well.  It is what is right and fair in cleaining this game up.  And I would never let this crews members perform at a Playoff or Super Bowl game this year. Period.

Yeah, if they want to send a message to cleaning the game up, the NFL should take a stance and suspend Wallace, Norman and OBJ all. 

They should also give the referees clear instructions to eject players before situations get out of hand, whether they are a star player or not. I remember so many times Michael Jordan playing with one technical foul and arguing with a ref vehemently and the opposing fans asking the refs to throw him out but the refs would not. Star status should not matter. Refs should also throw a flag at Brady for a 15 yarder if he verbally argues excessively vs the refs, which he has done several times and gotten away with, IMO.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

The Panthers' Josh Norman just continues to stoke the fire after the game:

https://twitter.com/J_No24?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Oh, the gift that keeps on giving!  Panthers had black bats on the field pre-game swinging them around and yelling things to OBJ.  It's true, I heard Adam Schefter report it on NFL Insiders.  Looked it up and there's video of at least one of them (practice squad player Marcus Ball!) can be seen here-

http://deadspin.com/reports-bat-wielding-panthers-menaced-odell-beckham-jr-1749127130

Excerpt from the article from Schefter-

"In pregame warmups, at least one Panthers official, and possibly more, carried black baseball bats on to the field and were motioning with them towards Odell Beckham Jr. while making comments to him, per a league source. Norman later grabbed the black bat and was swinging it in pregame warmups – which, by the way, an NFL Films camera captured. Beckham, according to another source, felt threatened and it helped put him in a certain frame of mind. It does not excuse what he did during the course of the game, but it does explain what led up to the battle that still is the talk of the league today."

Doesn't condone the behavior, but c'mon man!

I think Marcus should get a fine from the league too.  On minimum wage (NFL style, practice squad pay) that will sting!