Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You're a real man, Deion Sanders

BloodyChamp

I remember this incident in it's heyday. Once, I can let it slide given what the Braves were celebrating, but anything over that as a deliberate soaking act was excessive & unwarranted in my estimation. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit that I dislike Deon Sanders & his aura of self righteous smugness. Now, as an athlete, "Prime Time" proved his Championship credentials with 1 Word Series trophy & 2 SB rings with the 49ers & the Cowboys sure. 

Plus, I deplore how he slammed both Peyton Manning in 2006 & Eli Manning in 2007 about how the Colts & Giants sucked all year & then both Archie boys proved #21 wrong. I would have made Sanders eat crow live on the air personally. The guy just irritates me when it comes to pretending like he's a QB's BFF [Best Friend Forever] on victory night after he's been dragging your name thru the mud all season long. 

I don't despise Deon as much as I do Michael Irvin, but it's high up on the mountain top. 

47 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I remember this incident in it's heyday. Once, I can let it slide given what the Braves were celebrating, but anything over that as a deliberate soaking act was excessive & unwarranted in my estimation. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit that I dislike Deon Sanders & his aura of self righteous smugness. Now, as an athlete, "Prime Time" proved his Championship credentials with 1 Word Series trophy & 2 SB rings with the 49ers & the Cowboys sure. 

Plus, I deplore how he slammed both Peyton Manning in 2006 & Eli Manning in 2007 about how the Colts & Giants sucked all year & then both Archie boys proved #21 wrong. I would have made Sanders eat crow live on the air personally. The guy just irritates me when it comes to pretending like he's a QB's BFF [Best Friend Forever] on victory night after he's been dragging your name thru the mud all season long. 

I don't despise Deon as much as I do Michael Irvin, but it's high up on the mountain top. 

He never won a world series

He hates PM to the core and he is a TB lover. PM burned him deep in their game head to head.

39 minutes ago, Shane Bond said:

He hates PM to the core and he is a TB lover. PM burned him deep in their game head to head.

You know what? I honestly thought Deon did win a World Series, but you're right Shane according to his official website he didn't. I stand corrected. Thank you. Clearly, no one will ever confuse me with a Cooperstown Baseball HOF historian will they? Oh well...

http://www.deionsanders21.com/career/

Yes, Sanders looks for any excuse to undercut Peyton's achievements & then he pretends like he's chummy with him. I'd actually have more respect if 21 said out loud on NFL Network that 18 is overrated. Just be honest with me Deion, don't act like we're blood brothers & then stab me symbolically in the back at every turn. 

Looks like I am the minority here but I am huge fan of Deion. I loved his game when he was a player both football  and baseball. IMO he was the best CB to ever play in the NFL that I have watched with my own eyes.

I enjoyed his personality as well as for the most part as he was harmless just looking to make people laugh. I think he made a good transition into broadcasting and adds life to the NFL Network crew. He and Mooch play off each other well. I think he also has pretty good football takes. He had me laughing like crazy after the Super Bowl when he talked about the Seahawks throwing on the final play. He also did a great job interviewing both Kraft and Brady post-game. As with anyone who has a bold personality, we tend to overlook how talented they are. I think Deion is a rare individual in that respect. Playing two sports as I think back on it now is insane. The amount of work and preparation. I wish he had gotten a WS ring to go with his 2 super bowls.

Deion, while once a great CB, is a blow hard and a jerk on tv, i.e. his assessment that MH is as good as Luck.  That being said, McCaver deserved it, he was overly critical of Sanders during that year.  There is some irony in Sanders being as big a jerk on tv as McCaver was to him that year.

7 hours ago, Shane Bond said:

Yeah Marvin Harrison SMOKED him and Peyton challenged him all day.  Also in that same game Hunter Smith owned him on a TD saving tackle on a punt return. This mind you came after a pregame interview segment with Deon in which he boasted if he ever sees the whites of a  punter's eyes, "It's time to close down SHOP!"  haha Seems the old man has problems letting these things go. In my opinion, that Colts game was one of the first signs of Deon's eventual decline.  No wonder he hates the Colts now.  I don't put any value on his opinions concerning this team. 

2 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Deion, while once a great CB, is a blow hard and a jerk on tv, i.e. his assessment that MH is as good as Luck.  That being said, McCaver deserved it, he was overly critical of Sanders during that year.  There is some irony in Sanders being as big a jerk on tv as McCaver was to him that year.

I don't like McCarver, but that incident makes Sanders look like a 15 yr old sissy.

My son is an autograph seeker and one day he came home with a big old smile on his face!  He said dad I just got Deion Sanders' autograph at the mall! My son said when he approached Mr. Sanders he was prepared to be brushed off because of talk/rumors that Deion was a jerk!  My son said he walked up to him and said, "Mr. Sanders may I have your autograph?"  He said Deion put his hand on my sons shoulders and said, "Son let's walk and talk.  I don't like it when people shove a pen and paper in my face and run off.  Let's have a conversation."  My son said they must have walked/talked for no more than than a minute but it seemed like eternity. Till this day my son says Deion Sanders was/is one of the nicest athletes he met!  My son does not have elite autograph status but we have gone to Pro Bowls, baseball spring training, autograph sessions, college basketball tournaments and such so he has made small talk with many athletes and coaches. 

Coach June Jones once said both the Sanders boys (not related but Barry and Deion) are nice guys.  Barry is the quiet reserved one but Deion knows how to promote himself to the media.  With that said another one that my son said was a nice guy was Ric Flair.  Media personality? 

For me I'm not an autographed seeker as I just stood in the background and watched but I witnessed a situation and I will place Anthony Munoz in the great guy category!  

33 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

They both look silly when taking McCarver's antics during that series.

Then take him aside and talk to him about it like a grown man. Throwing water on him and running away is embarrassing.  Honestly, I would have prefered a fist fight.

I remember that...but why are we talking about this very very very old story? They both have seemed kinda jerkish down through the years...I loved Prime when he played...he always looked like he was having fun. He was the ultimate shut down corner but if you asked him to tackle...well yeah not going to happen. He can't be the greatest corner of all time because he didn't play the run as well...but incredible cover guy.

2 hours ago, 100GFB said:

My son is an autograph seeker and one day he came home with a big old smile on his face!  He said dad I just got Deion Sanders' autograph at the mall! My son said when he approached Mr. Sanders he was prepared to be brushed off because of talk/rumors that Deion was a jerk!  My son said he walked up to him and said, "Mr. Sanders may I have your autograph?"  He said Deion put his hand on my sons shoulders and said, "Son let's walk and talk.  I don't like it when people shove a pen and paper in my face and run off.  Let's have a conversation."  My son said they must have walked/talked for no more than than a minute but it seemed like eternity. Till this day my son says Deion Sanders was/is one of the nicest athletes he met!  My son does not have elite autograph status but we have gone to Pro Bowls, baseball spring training, autograph sessions, college basketball tournaments and such so he has made small talk with many athletes and coaches. 

Coach June Jones once said both the Sanders boys (not related but Barry and Deion) are nice guys.  Barry is the quiet reserved one but Deion knows how to promote himself to the media.  With that said another one that my son said was a nice guy was Ric Flair.  Media personality? 

For me I'm not an autographed seeker as I just stood in the background and watched but I witnessed a situation and I will place Anthony Munoz in the great guy category!  

I still will never be warm & fuzzy toward Deion, but it's refreshing to hear that he was nice to your son & not a pompous, arrogant, jerk like he often comes across on my TV screen on Sundays 100GFB. 

I still say that Sanders HOF speech at Canton is the worst I have ever heard. How can a man who loves the sound of his own voice & being the center of attention be so horrible at talking about himself for 45 minutes? 

8 hours ago, amfootball said:

Looks like I am the minority here but I am huge fan of Deion. I loved his game when he was a player both football  and baseball. IMO he was the best CB to ever play in the NFL that I have watched with my own eyes.

I enjoyed his personality as well as for the most part as he was harmless just looking to make people laugh. I think he made a good transition into broadcasting and adds life to the NFL Network crew. He and Mooch play off each other well. I think he also has pretty good football takes. He had me laughing like crazy after the Super Bowl when he talked about the Seahawks throwing on the final play. He also did a great job interviewing both Kraft and Brady post-game. As with anyone who has a bold personality, we tend to overlook how talented they are. I think Deion is a rare individual in that respect. Playing two sports as I think back on it now is insane. The amount of work and preparation. I wish he had gotten a WS ring to go with his 2 super bowls.

You are probably in the minority because the guy clearly loves Tom and hates Peyton. Any chance he gets he bashes Peyton, always has even when Peyton played in Indy. I think it stems from us beating the Ravens in Baltimore (2006 Playoff game) where he guarentee'd the Colts would lose that Playoff game and went on a rant about it. He had a lot of friends that played for the Ravens so that loss rubbed him sour. He also kisses Tom's rear every chance he gets. Having said all of that I do think he is best Cover Corner of all-time so I respect his play and would put him on my 1st all-time team as 1 of my Corner's. I would probably even use him as a Punt Returner as well!

8 hours ago, amfootball said:

I don't know AMF. I can separate Deion's cover skills just fine from his alter ego persona on NFL Network. I get that part of it is producers on the network trying to gin people up with controversial assertions designed to generate social media traffic online. But, Deion enjoys slamming athletes that don't measure up to his elite expectations too much. 

You notice how Deion doesn't brag about his time with Baltimore too much? Because he sucked there & was saddled with injuries. I'd cut 21 some slack if he wasn't so harsh in his rants about which players, coaches, & franchises were train wrecks in his estimation. 

34 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I still will never be warm & fuzzy toward Deion, but it's refreshing to hear that he was nice to your son & not a pompous, arrogant, jerk like he often comes across on my TV screen on Sundays 100GFB. 

I still say that Sanders HOF speech at Canton is the worst I have ever heard. How can a man who loves the sound of his own voice & being the center of attention be so horrible at talking about himself for 45 minutes? 

Thanks SW1.  I'm not an expert on personality/media personality but after the incident with my son I would like to believe that Deion promotes his media personality. Thanks again SW1 and to all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Thanks for the post, BloodyChamp!

3 hours ago, 100GFB said:

Thanks for sharing that.  I did not like Deion Sanders when he was playing, as he was too loud and cocky. He liked to draw attention to himself.  I did not like anything about him.  It is good to hear that he was nice to your son.

I find that athletes are a lot nicer in person than they seem in the media. A young neighbor of mine many years ago was so excited to tell me that he got an autogragh from a baseball player. The player was none other than Albert Belle, the last person I would have thought would have taken the time to sign a baseball for a young fan. Belle was portrayed as grumpy and angry. But he was the only player who agreed to sign this kid's ball that day. 

@southwest1  I saw part of Deion's HoF speech where he talked about his mother.  He spoke from the heart. I liked the little I saw of it.

48 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks for sharing that.  I did not like Deion Sanders when he was playing, as he was too loud and cocky. He liked to draw attention to himself.  I did not like anything about him.  It is good to hear that he was nice to your son.

I find that athletes are a lot nicer in person than they seem in the media. A young neighbor of mine many years ago was so excited to tell me that he got an autogragh from a baseball player. The player was none other than Albert Belle, the last person I would have thought would have taken the time to sign a baseball for a young fan. Belle was portrayed as grumpy and angry. But he was the only player who agreed to sign this kid's ball that day. 

@southwest1  I saw part of Deion's HoF speech where he talked about his mother.  He spoke from the heart. I liked the little I saw of it.

Mother part was too good. He made her retire. Bought her everything. It was good to see.

59 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks NFL and since we're on this subject I'll share my experience with Anthony Munoz.  He was signing autographs at the curbside and when he thought he signed the last autograph seeker (yes signed all that is class act in itself), he got into the passenger seat and driver was ready to drive off.  Up came several autograph seekers and instead of saying sorry I'm in a rush.  Mr. Munoz got back out of the car and signed.  He could have stayed in the car and signed but he got back out, imagine being 6'5" 275+ and a beaten up body getting in and out of a car! That was a class act for him to come out of the car to respect and show appreciation to the fans!

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are probably in the minority because the guy clearly loves Tom and hates Peyton. Any chance he gets he bashes Peyton, always has even when Peyton played in Indy. I think it stems from us beating the Ravens in Baltimore (2006 Playoff game) where he guarentee'd the Colts would lose that Playoff game and went on a rant about it. He had a lot of friends that played for the Ravens so that loss rubbed him sour. He also kisses Tom's rear every chance he gets. Having said all of that I do think he is best Cover Corner of all-time so I respect his play and would put him on my 1st all-time team as 1 of my Corner's. I would probably even use him as a Punt Returner as well!

I don't base my opinion of somebody on whether they like my team. I am also a Mike Greenberg fan he hates the Pats as he is a Jets fan. He is still a great commentator and radio/TV personality and has good football takes. I don't enjoy everything Deion says or does and I do disagree with him from time to time but overall I think he is a quality commentator/entertainer and one of the best defensive players to ever play in the NFL.

1 hour ago, 100GFB said:

Thanks NFL and since we're on this subject I'll share my experience with Anthony Munoz.  He was signing autographs at the curbside and when he thought he signed the last autograph seeker (yes signed all that is class act in itself), he got into the passenger seat and driver was ready to drive off.  Up came several autograph seekers and instead of saying sorry I'm in a rush.  Mr. Munoz got back out of the car and signed.  He could have stayed in the car and signed but he got back out, imagine being 6'5" 275+ and a beaten up body getting in and out of a car! That was a class act for him to come out of the car to respect and show appreciation to the fans!

Thanks for sharing this one too. I enjoy hearing/reading these positive stories.  I have heard Anthony Muñoz interviewed many times and he always comes across as a class act. 

27 minutes ago, amfootball said:

I don't base my opinion of somebody on whether they like my team. I am also a Mike Greenberg fan he hates the Pats as he is a Jets fan. He is still a great commentator and radio/TV personality and has good football takes. I don't enjoy everything Deion says or does and I do disagree with him from time to time but overall I think he is a quality commentator/entertainer and one of the best defensive players to ever play in the NFL.

That's cool but it is natural instinct for anyone to like a commentator if they favor your favorite player all the time and bash the guy you love to hate all the time. If you notice in my Post I still said I think he is the best Cover Corner ever. So I can separate him not liking Peyton to praise his Great play. He may be a Great guy too off the field for all I know, so I am glad 100's son had that experience with him. Cool stuff!

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That's cool but it is natural instinct for anyone to like a commentator if they favor your favorite player all the time and bash the guy you love to hate all the time. If you notice in my Post I still said I think he is the best Cover Corner ever. So I can separate him not liking Peyton to praise his Great play. He may be a Great guy too off the field for all I know, so I am glad 100's son had that experience with him. Cool stuff!

It may be for some people but not for me. I am more interested in listening to people who know the game and have good football opinions whether they praise my team or not.

He was the forerunner for guys like Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, perhaps Keyshawn Johnson too; the prima donnas of the pro sports.

I could never get behind these "me-me-me" guys.  It goes against my personal philosophy.

Deion was a transcendental athlete that didn't need to self-promote. He would have been well-remembered for his play alone. Dousing this guy and basically, humiliating him for unflattering commentary demonstrates Deion's pathological pettiness.  It's textbook bullying and should be beneath a person who has basically been treated as a demigod for most of his life.  World class athlete with not an iota of class as a human-being. 

So if SW1 says he hated Deion Sanders HOF speech it automatically means I'm anti mom then? Come on my friends, Deion talked about more than just his affection for the woman that gave birth to him & raised him. You have a right to disagree with my opinion of Deion's induction speech fine that's you're right.

However, let's not take one momentary reflection about his primary female influence growing up & pretend like 1 brief moment of genuine compassion on Mr. Sander's behalf accounts for or makes up for the remainder of what he said behind the podium. It's not a content thing; it's a public speaking persona thing. 

If I wanna dislike Prime Time, I've got every right to dislike him regardless of what anyone else thinks. And don't give me, the HOF is an emotional night for every inductee rhetoric either because as bold & opinionated as 21 is on TV & the radio I expected this man to deliver a rousing speech with proper pacing, clarity, & intensity & he failed on all 3 fronts.

The funny thing is that TE Shannon Sharpe gave a fantastic yellow jacket speech & I often criticized him for stumbling on the air when he tried to do Ravens or Broncos highlights on NFL CBS Sports. Deion however, for the showman he likes to be on air fell flat on his face when his moment in the sun mattered most. That's my primary thesis here. 

8 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

So if SW1 says he hated Deion Sanders HOF speech it automatically means I'm anti mom then? Come on my friends, Deion talked about more than just his affection for the woman that gave birth to him & raised him. You have a right to disagree with my opinion of Deion's induction speech fine that's you're right.

However, let's not take one momentary reflection about his primary female influence growing up & pretend like 1 brief moment of genuine compassion on Mr. Sander's behalf accounts for or makes up for the remainder of what he said behind the podium. It's not a content thing; it's a public speaking persona thing. 

If I wanna dislike Prime Time, I've got every right to dislike hime regardless of what anyone else thinks. 

Where did you get that? Here is what I wrote:

"I saw part of Deion's HoF speech where he talked about his mother.  He spoke from the heart. I liked the little I saw of it."

Please point out where I suggested you were anti-Mom or that you did not have a right to your opinion. SMH  :scratch: 

Ugh everybody's opinion on everybody else centers on everybody else's opinion on the Peyton-Tom rivalry.

Deion was a big mouthed softy but he put an even bigger mouthed downright wuss in his place that night. The guy spent all week ripping him then thought he was owed something from Deion for it. If he was owed anything,  it was what he got. Then the aftermath...boo hoo Deion hurt me boo hoo...then he had throw the incident out during his retirement speech. That was worse than Deion's.

Also I've never heard anything about Ric Flair other than that he was the nicest guy ever.

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Where did you get that? Here is what I wrote:

"I saw part of Deion's HoF speech where he talked about his mother.  He spoke from the heart. I liked the little I saw of it."

Please point out where I suggested you were anti-Mom or that you did not have a right to your opinion. SMH  :scratch: 

Check your forum e-mail for a PM I sent you explaining why I wrote what I wrote. Thanks. I hope it helps clear the air here.