Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it a coincidence....????? Just in...

BrentMc11

8 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No, it's like what Dungy, Polian and Caldwell all said when the questions arose about resting the starters.  They would reply with they are going to play to win the game.  And they did, the guys played hard and they played to win.  It was just the back-ups in the game playing to win against the other team's starters.  I think that is what the Colts will do keep guys like Luck, Davis, Freeman, maybe even guys like Walden and AC on the sidelines "recovery from injjury" as their back-ups play hard and try to win.

I used to subscribe to the notion of resting starters once a team secured a playoffs spot, but not anymore. I agree with HC Ron Rivera. Doing this, messes up team chemistry. Now, if a game is decided by the 4th Qtr., I'm okay with sitting my franchise QB & elite WRs & tight ends down for the rest of that game.

But as a general rule, unless a team is decimated by injures at key spots, I am diametrically opposed to letting starters sit for a prolonged period as the regular season winds down. I guess I remember Caldwell sitting INDY starters down vs the Jets under Rex Ryan & the Colts looked rusty when the games really matter. I never forgot that either. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Colts beat the Ravens and the Jets handily on the way to the SB. They didn't look rusty.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I could have sworn in 2008/2009 regular season that Jim Caldwell sat the starters down including Manning when we were unblemished record wise & we lost to Rex because of it. 

When a team was firing on all cylinders prior to that coaching decision, the last thing you do is sit starters down IMO. The record is insignificant to me what matters is the timing on routes & crispness on the field. 

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I could have sworn in 2008/2009 regular season that Jim Caldwell sat the starters down including Manning when we were unblemished record wise & we lost to Rex because of it. 

When a team was firing on all cylinders prior to that coaching decision, the last thing you do is sit starters down IMO. The record is insignificant to me what matters is the timing on routes & crispness on the field. 

The Colts lost to the Jets in Week 16 after they pulled the starters. Then they lost to the Bills in Week 17. First round bye, then hosted the Ravens in the divisional round, and won 20-3. Then hosted the Jets in the AFCCG, and won 30-17. The SB loss was a month after the shut down.

I hated the decision, and still do, but it isn't the reason the team didn't win the SB. 

And Caldwell wasn't the coach in 2008.

44 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Colts beat the Ravens and the Jets handily on the way to the SB. They didn't look rusty.

Bruh... We won 31-28 vs Jets and we did not handily beat the Ravens. That was a field goal game. 15-6 Colts. Then we had the Super Bowl gifted to us thanks to Rex "gross"man. 

57 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Colts lost to the Jets in Week 16 after they pulled the starters. Then they lost to the Bills in Week 17. First round bye, then hosted the Ravens in the divisional round, and won 20-3. Then hosted the Jets in the AFCCG, and won 30-17. The SB loss was a month after the shut down.

I hated the decision, and still do, but it isn't the reason the team didn't win the SB. 

And Caldwell wasn't the coach in 2008.

When did I ever claim we lost the SB over a regular season loss? My point was about team chemistry & the dangers of altering routines when things are free flowing. 

Thanks for the additional info on week 16 & the NFL landscape at that time. I don't have perfect NFL recall. 

6 hours ago, Feardaneard said:

Bruh... We won 31-28 vs Jets and we did not handily beat the Ravens. That was a field goal game. 15-6 Colts. Then we had the Super Bowl gifted to us thanks to Rex "gross"man. 

I think you have serval things mixed up here.  First of all the Colts beat the Jets 30-17 in the AFCCG during 2009.  The Colts and Jets didn't play during the 2006 run and none of the games during the 06 or 09 runs had a final score of 31-28 so I am not sure which game you are referring to there. 

The Ravens field goal game was during the 2006 run as was the Bears Super Bowl game.  Also, the Colts won that Super Bowl because they more physical than the Bears up front and were better prepared for the weather than the Bears.  Rex threw a late couple of picks to seal the win for the Colts but the Colts were already in the lead and in control of the game when those happened. 

Now back to 2009 which is what people were talking about here.  They did play the Ravens and beat them 20-3 in the divisional round.  The three points came off a fumble that put the Ravens in scoring position.  The Colts dominated that game from start to finish and by all accounts looked extremely fresh doing it.  Which in some ways grinded more salt into the wound for Colts fans as that meant what Polian and Caldwell were trying to accomplish by yanking the starters so they would be fresh for the playoffs worked. 

On 12/17/2015 at 1:38 PM, hawkeyes said:

So does this mean he taught them all well OR does it mean he surrounded himself with great minds because he didn't have one?

Why does it have to be either black or white..? And even if he surrounds himself with great minds, that doesn't mean he doesn't have one himself.

On 12/16/2015 at 9:38 AM, BrentMc11 said:

I heard this morning Jim Irsay had a sit down.....dinner with Bill Cower...per Kent Sterling of 1430 CBS Sports....?????????????

I personally think it was just a get together, but we can see where this goes.  If Cowher was interested, that would mean both Pagano and Grigson both would go as well as the coaching staff.  Thoughts?  

cowher.jpg

Please please please please please

On 12/16/2015 at 8:40 AM, Jason_S said:

He won't have much of a choice.  If he doesn't agree to a new contract they will most definitely tag him until they don't have the option to tag him anymore.  

Maybe choosing a good HC and GM would be key to keeping him in Indy?