Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it a coincidence....????? Just in...


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, SteelDragon said:

Cowher has the toughness this organization would need.  No doubt he could coach up a defense and put together a staff of hard-nosed,  old school coordinators. 

But, I also remember Cowher for his bone headed decisions during games.  I remember his teams consistently underachieving in the playoffs before they finally pulled off their improbable championship run in 2005. This guy was on the hot seat those last few seasons. 

Of course,  he never truly had a franchise QB until Big Ben got drafted

 

 

I'm a Cowher type of guy if we went that route.  Not that I want Chuck to be fired, but if this season doesn't turn around for us at some point it will be just the ammo Irsay needs to just move on.  Hopefully the Cowher Comeback won't turn out like the Parcells come back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am not that high on Cower but I'd rather have him over some of the other names out there.

 

i am still hoping the Ravens do something dumb and fire John Harbaugh.  That would be my first choice but I doubt the Ravens fire him.

 

I am a Harbaugh kind of guy too! Ravens Harbaugh

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, krunk said:

 

I am a Harbaugh kind of guy too! Ravens Harbaugh

If we lose Sunday then it will be obvious it is time to think about a new Coach. If we win Sunday it will show the guys haven't actually quit on Chuck. If we win with Charlie playing I would LMAO. I will be convinced Houston will never beat us here then. By the way I love both Harbaugh's but my guy Jim isn't leaving Michigan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we lose Sunday then it will obvious it is time to think about a new Coach. If we win Sunday it will show the guys haven't actually quit on Chuck. If we win with Charlie playing I would LMAO. I will be convinced Houston will never beat us here then. By the way I love both Harbaugh's but my guy Jim isn't leaving Michigan.

 

Yeah I know!  He was mostly talking about Harbaugh from the Ravens.  I like both of them though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh I would take John too! Love both. Cowher probably would be ok as well. He is a proven winner.

 

I'd be cool if we picked up John, but I don't think he's getting fired. Pick up John and pair him with Mike Pettine as DC. Or maybe Rex Ryan gets canned and gives up on his Head Coaching fantasy to become a DC again.  Just toying around with some ideas here!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, krunk said:

 

I'd be cool if we picked up John, but I don't think he's getting fired. Pick up John and pair him with Mike Pettine as DC. Or maybe Rex Ryan gets canned and gives up on his Head Coaching fantasy to become a DC again.  Just toying around with some ideas here!

Rex as D coordinator would be sweet!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

 

In my opinion both Grigson and Pagano have their share in Colts wacky season, so it made sense if Irsay was cleaning the house again. Loosing the franchise QB for longer period because a 4 year old problem that wasn't sold would drive me crazy if I was owner. 

 

I feel sympathy for Luck he might meet his 4th OC in 4 years. However I do think Chud might have a role here next season.

 

Just my 2 cents.

 

 

Of all the things to worry about,  Luck on his latest OC is just about the least of them.

 

Remember,  there have only been two systems so far.     Arians in year 1.     Peps in years 2, 3, and 4.

 

So,  if Luck has to learn a new system in year 5,  then that's what he'll need to do.     That's not the worry.........

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ztboiler said:

My concern about Cowher is how much the game has changed in the last 10 years and whether he is the type of thinker who could adapt on the fly at the rate needed.  

That, and he won't have anyone close to the caliber of a young(er) Dick LeBeau running his defense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

I could see Cowher as a HC/GM.  I'd love a Mike Pettine DC/Rob Chudzinski OC.  

 

I think we'd see improvements all the way around.  

 

 

 

 

I'm not interested in Cowher, but if he wanted GM duties I would tell him to take a hike.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

If we could get the chin in here as a coach.....oh man that'd be fantastic!!! 

 

 

I miss Bill spitting on the sidelines man. I always enjoyed that as a fan of his. 

10 hours ago, Mjølner said:

I started reading up on his coaching career in general, and I'm just gonna throw this out there, and let it speak for itself.

 

Bill Cowher's coaching tree - Assistant coaches under Cowher that became head coaches in the NFL:
 

Dom Capers: Carolina Panthers, Houston Texans

 

Chan Gailey: Dallas Cowboys, Buffalo Bills

 

Jim Haslett: New Orleans Saints, St. Louis Rams

 

Mike Mularkey: Buffalo Bills, Jacksonville Jaguars

 

Ken Whisenhunt: Arizona Cardinals, Tennessee Titans

 

Dick LeBeau: Cincinnati Bengals

 

Marvin Lewis: Cincinnati Bengals

 

Bruce Arians: Arizona Cardinals

 

 


(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cowher#Coaching_career)

Thanks for this coaching list. Yes, Bill knows what he's doing & he's been around a lot of talented coaches all his life like Marty Schottenheimer who I always respected.

 

My only worry is this: Bill's been out of coaching since 2005/2006. That's a very longtime. Hey, if he's committed to us man. SW1 will embrace him with open arms because he knows how to build Championship rosters. If we land Bill, I'll be over the moon baby. 

9 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

If brent's assumption is true (which is probably is because Brent is a smart guy), this could mean the Colts will tank the rest of the season it would not be hard to do, just keep Luck on the injured list and have Charlie Whitehurst start the last three games.  This way Cowher has a longer offseason to work with (assemble his staff, etc) and a higher draft pick.

 

It's not a bad thing IMO.  With the successful years of Manning, many people forget that in 2001 the Colts went 6-10 and that put the Colts in position to draft Freeney.

I was with you CD until I read what I bolded. Intentional sabotage never sits well with me ever. Everything else you said was fantastic though.

 

Maybe you just meant that starting Charlie W. is the equivalent of sabotage since he's a horrible QB. Yeah, I figured that's what you probably meant. LOL! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am just stunned that Bill wants to leave his cushy gig at CBS Sports analyzing AFC games. Why leave that for the chaotic world of coaching again? Maybe Cowher needs to scratch that competitive itch again. Who knows.

 

I still wanna interview Tom Couglin though if the Mara Family permits Jim to do so. 

 

Maybe BrentMc11 is right. It's just a springboard session to get new fresh young candidates & coordinators assembled since Bill talks to everybody: DCs, OC's, GMs, & strength & conditioning coaches etc. etc.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Guy has been out of coaching for a while and retired of his own free will (Wasn't fired or forced out).  Seems awefully odd that he would suddenly come back now.  Although I suppose it could have been at the time he retired wanting to spend more time with wife and kids but now his wife is dead and his kids are all grown up so I suppose that might have him wanting to get back in it.  However I have my doubts, it's been a while.  

 

If it had anything to do with the coaching situation then I should think it was more then likely Cowher giving advice on who to bring in as coach more then Cowher and Irsay talking about him taking over.  

His wife passing away might be a factor but it would all depend on how much time he wanted to spend with his kids and pending grand kids? With his lucrative contract with the network it would be hard to walk away to a life of a head coach. He would have to want to coach pretty bad but who knows?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

If brent's assumption is true (which is probably is because Brent is a smart guy), this could mean the Colts will tank the rest of the season it would not be hard to do, just keep Luck on the injured list and have Charlie Whitehurst start the last three games.  This way Cowher has a longer offseason to work with (assemble his staff, etc) and a higher draft pick.

 

It's not a bad thing IMO.  With the successful years of Manning, many people forget that in 2001 the Colts went 6-10 and that put the Colts in position to draft Freeney.

I don't see the team or Pagano tanking anything. No matter what the playoffs bring the Colts want another division title no matter what comes next. Where we pick in the 1st' round makes no difference as long as it's a good pick. These last three games I am sure there are a few who are going to be playing for their jobs. All of the team from the top to the bottom will be assessed. As far as Cower how long would he last if he took a while to go to the super bowl. 2 super bowls in 15 years is asking for a lot of patience and that is something that is line around here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

 

Hopefully the prerequisite is former Super Bowl winner not named Brian Billick.

On the NOT APPROVED LIST:

1) Brian Billick

2) Anyone who has reached the age of 70

3) Anyone with Pagano's level of in-game tactical skills

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mjølner said:

I started reading up on his coaching career in general, and I'm just gonna throw this out there, and let it speak for itself.

 

Bill Cowher's coaching tree - Assistant coaches under Cowher that became head coaches in the NFL:
 

Dom Capers: Carolina Panthers, Houston Texans

 

Chan Gailey: Dallas Cowboys, Buffalo Bills

 

Jim Haslett: New Orleans Saints, St. Louis Rams

 

Mike Mularkey: Buffalo Bills, Jacksonville Jaguars

 

Ken Whisenhunt: Arizona Cardinals, Tennessee Titans

 

Dick LeBeau: Cincinnati Bengals

 

Marvin Lewis: Cincinnati Bengals

 

Bruce Arians: Arizona Cardinals

 

 


(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cowher#Coaching_career)

 

 

So does this mean he taught them all well OR does it mean he surrounded himself with great minds because he didn't have one?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, hawkeyes said:

 

 

So does this mean he taught them all well OR does it mean he surrounded himself with great minds because he didn't have one?

If it's the latter, then that means he does have a great mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really do not want Payton. Will never get over when the Colts went to the saints after the Superbowl. Has his saints dress in white at home that is very rare in itself, so the Colts wore blue just as in the SB. He sat in the booth eating a hotdog while calling the game running up the score on our Peyton-less Colts. Lost respect!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

On the NOT APPROVED LIST:

1) Brian Billick

2) Anyone who has reached the age of 70

3) Anyone with Pagano's level of in-game tactical skills

 

I guess that leaves Ted Marchibroda out of the mix.OOOPS!  He is 84....

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I wanted Billick when we got Pagano.  He may be too smart for his own good.  All I can say is the coach had better have experience 'winning.' :)

 

Same here, but Irsay but the kabosh on that really quickly when he said he wasn't looking for a retread coach. 

 

I know a lot of people don't like Billick, saying that it was the defense that won them the SB in Baltimore, which is true.  However, the defense was as good as it was in large part due to the defensive coaching staff that Billick helped put together:

 

This was his defensive coaching staff when he first took over.  

Defensive coaches

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I wanted Billick when we got Pagano.  He may be too smart for his own good.  All I can say is the coach had better have experience 'winning.' :)

why do people believe Billick is some sort of intellect?  Not saying he's dumb, but I have listened to him quite a bit and the thought of him being too smart for his own good never crossed my mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BOTT said:

why do people believe Billick is some sort of intellect?  Not saying he's dumb, but I have listened to him quite a bit and the thought of him being too smart for his own good never crossed my mind.

 

Not sure how those rumors got started but I've heard them for a while.  Think it may have been a rumor stemmed from an interview he had..the rumor saying the owner or GM was put off by him.  No idea if there's any truth, or if that's even how it got started.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2015 at 9:51 AM, BrentMc11 said:

 

 

15 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I miss Bill spitting on the sidelines man. I always enjoyed that as a fan of his. 

Thanks for this coaching list. Yes, Bill knows what he's doing & he's been around a lot of talented coaches all his life like Marty Schottenheimer who I always respected.

 

My only worry is this: Bill's been out of coaching since 2005/2006. That's a very longtime. Hey, if he's committed to us man. SW1 will embrace him with open arms because he knows how to build Championship rosters. If we land Bill, I'll be over the moon baby. 

I was with you CD until I read what I bolded. Intentional sabotage never sits well with me ever. Everything else you said was fantastic though.

 

Maybe you just meant that starting Charlie W. is the equivalent of sabotage since he's a horrible QB. Yeah, I figured that's what you probably meant. LOL! 

No, it's like what Dungy, Polian and Caldwell all said when the questions arose about resting the starters.  They would reply with they are going to play to win the game.  And they did, the guys played hard and they played to win.  It was just the back-ups in the game playing to win against the other team's starters.  I think that is what the Colts will do keep guys like Luck, Davis, Freeman, maybe even guys like Walden and AC on the sidelines "recovery from injjury" as their back-ups play hard and try to win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

 

Not sure how those rumors got started but I've heard them for a while.  Think it may have been a rumor stemmed from an interview he had..the rumor saying the owner or GM was put off by him.  No idea if there's any truth, or if that's even how it got started.

Yep.  I have heard that for years.  I could not have said it any better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, coltsfan77 said:

Really do not want Payton. Will never get over when the Colts went to the saints after the Superbowl. Has his saints dress in white at home that is very rare in itself, so the Colts wore blue just as in the SB. He sat in the booth eating a hotdog while calling the game running up the score on our Peyton-less Colts. Lost respect!

 

He even let Kenny Chesney call a couple of plays at the end of the game. That game made me happy just thinking of how sad and defeated the Polian suite had to be that night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2015 at 7:38 AM, BrentMc11 said:

I heard this morning Jim Irsay had a sit down.....dinner with Bill Cower...per Kent Sterling of 1430 CBS Sports....?????????????

 

I personally think it was just a get together, but we can see where this goes.  If Cowher was interested, that would mean both Pagano and Grigson both would go as well as the coaching staff.  Thoughts?  

 

cowher.jpg

I love that you added a picture of him for effect, nice touch! Also, I would not mind having him as our coach, but it does seem rather unlikely. I guess we'll find out within a couple of months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I love that you added a picture of him for effect, nice touch! Also, I would not mind having him as our coach, but it does seem rather unlikely. I guess we'll find out within a couple of months.

Thank you Shaun.  I am leery too, but I think it would make a great story!! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...