Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it a coincidence....????? Just in...

BrentMc11

I heard this morning Jim Irsay had a sit down.....dinner with Bill Cower...per Kent Sterling of 1430 CBS Sports....?????????????

I personally think it was just a get together, but we can see where this goes.  If Cowher was interested, that would mean both Pagano and Grigson both would go as well as the coaching staff.  Thoughts?  

cowher.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, BrentMc11 said:

I do not think he did because of the Rooney's, but I will check Jason.  

I did a quick, though not overly thorough google search and didn't see anything about him ever being GM.  If that's the case then I'd be very hesitant to offer him HC/GM here.  

2 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I did a quick, though not overly thorough google search and didn't see anything about him ever being GM.  If that's the case then I'd be very hesitant to offer him HC/GM here.  

Kevin Colbert has been GM since 2010, but he was Director of Football Operations from 2000.  Colbert was essentially in charge.  He is the first GM that the Steelers ever had.

2 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Kevin Colbert has been GM since 2010, but he was Director of Football Operations from 2000.  Colbert was essentially in charge.  He is the first GM that the Steelers ever had.

If the Colts were to go this route, then maybe instead of offering him both HC and GM positions, do something like KC did with Reid and St. Louis did with Fisher in allowing Cowher to choose the GM he'd be working with.  

Just now, jvan1973 said:

That would seriously reduce the pool of candidates

He's got the bank account to be able to do it, but yes, you are correct.  I would be curious to know how many former Super Bowl winners are currently actively coaching, and which ones that are not would consider another run with a QB like Luck?

I started reading up on his coaching career in general, and I'm just gonna throw this out there, and let it speak for itself.

Bill Cowher's coaching tree - Assistant coaches under Cowher that became head coaches in the NFL:

Dom Capers: Carolina Panthers, Houston Texans

Chan Gailey: Dallas Cowboys, Buffalo Bills

Jim Haslett: New Orleans Saints, St. Louis Rams

Mike Mularkey: Buffalo Bills, Jacksonville Jaguars

Ken Whisenhunt: Arizona Cardinals, Tennessee Titans

Dick LeBeau: Cincinnati Bengals

Marvin Lewis: Cincinnati Bengals

Bruce Arians: Arizona Cardinals

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cowher#Coaching_career)

Edited by 21isSuperman
approved

Just now, Jason_S said:

If the Colts were to go this route, then maybe instead of offering him both HC and GM positions, do something like KC did with Reid and St. Louis did with Fisher in allowing Cowher to choose the GM he'd be working with.  

I totally agree.

I usually don't start these kind of threads...but I had to on this one.

15 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

He's got the bank account to be able to do it, but yes, you are correct.  I would be curious to know how many former Super Bowl winners are currently actively coaching, and which ones that are not would consider another run with a QB like Luck?

Dungy.   Not happening

Gruden.     Maybe,  but do we want that? 

Cowher.     Who knows

Brian billick.     No

Holmgren.     No

51 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I heard this morning Jim Irsay had a sit down.....dinner with Bill Cower...per Kent Sterling of 1430 CBS Sports....?????????????

I personally think it was just a get together, but we can see where this goes.  If Cowher was interested, that would mean both Pagano and Grigson both would go as well as the coaching staff.  Thoughts?  

cowher.jpg

In my opinion both Grigson and Pagano have their share in Colts wacky season, so it made sense if Irsay was cleaning the house again. Loosing the franchise QB for longer period because a 4 year old problem that wasn't sold would drive me crazy if I was owner. 

I feel sympathy for Luck he might meet his 4th OC in 4 years. However I do think Chud might have a role here next season.

Just my 2 cents.

12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Dungy.   Not happening

Gruden.     Maybe,  but do we want that? 

Cowher.     Who knows

Brian billick.     No

Holmgren.     No

Pure curiosity...is your "no" for Billick because you wouldn't want him, or because you don't think he'd be interested in returning to coaching?

30 minutes ago, MPStack said:

He`s a run first and defensive minded coach. I would not be dissappointed with Cowher becoming coach. I tired of the past three nice guy coaches.

More curiosity...why is Cowher not a nice guy?  Does he beat puppies?

1 minute ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

In my opinion both Grigson and Pagano have their share in Colts wacky season, so it made sense if Irsay was cleaning the house again. Loosing the franchise QB for longer period because a 4 year old problem that wasn't sold would drive me crazy if I was owner. 

I feel sympathy for Luck he might meet his 4th OC in 4 years. However I do think Chud might have a role here next season.

Just my 2 cents.

Andrew may not want to stay past his contract.  This would be the worst scenario possible...I think I just got a stomach ache thinking about it....

Guy has been out of coaching for a while and retired of his own free will (Wasn't fired or forced out).  Seems awefully odd that he would suddenly come back now.  Although I suppose it could have been at the time he retired wanting to spend more time with wife and kids but now his wife is dead and his kids are all grown up so I suppose that might have him wanting to get back in it.  However I have my doubts, it's been a while.  

If it had anything to do with the coaching situation then I should think it was more then likely Cowher giving advice on who to bring in as coach more then Cowher and Irsay talking about him taking over.  

2 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Andrew may not want to stay past his contract.  This would be the worst scenario possible...I think I just got a stomach ache thinking about it....

He won't have much of a choice.  If he doesn't agree to a new contract they will most definitely tag him until they don't have the option to tag him anymore.  

If brent's assumption is true (which is probably is because Brent is a smart guy), this could mean the Colts will tank the rest of the season it would not be hard to do, just keep Luck on the injured list and have Charlie Whitehurst start the last three games.  This way Cowher has a longer offseason to work with (assemble his staff, etc) and a higher draft pick.

It's not a bad thing IMO.  With the successful years of Manning, many people forget that in 2001 the Colts went 6-10 and that put the Colts in position to draft Freeney.