Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is is Worth Potentially Ruining Hasselbeck to Maybe Get to the Postseason?

UKColt13

Are we really going to start a seriously banged up 40yo at QB against Houston when we virtually know we're not going to win a playoff game?

Am I the only on that thinks we should shut him and Luck down for the year?

I'm not saying tank the whole season, but its clearly not our year. If the players are banged up (Luck is hurt, Hass is badly banged up with rib injuries, Gore is battered and bruised, Vontae has gone down in the last 2 games with knee trouble) why risk doing huge damage to them when there is virtually nothing at stake.

Im not pessimistic, i'm a realist.

33 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Are we really going to start a seriously banged up 40yo at QB against Houston when we virtually know we're not going to win a playoff game?

I'm not saying tank the whole season, but its clearly not our year. If the players are banged up (Luck is hurt, Hass is badly banged up with rib injuries, Gore is battered and bruised, Vontae has gone down in the last 2 games with knee trouble) why risk doing huge damage to them when there is virtually nothing at stake.

A home playoff game for irsay is big money.    Plus, once you're in anything can happen.  But I have serious doubts Matt will be able to go.    Clearly I'm not his doctor,    but that poor guy has taken a beating.  His body will be sore Sunday

56 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

If MH is ready to play...yes! I would rather see him play than Charlie Whitehurst. With Castanzo (hopefully) coming back, the run game has to show itself this week. Same with defense and special teams. As long as there is hope, the Colts have to do what they can to get into the playoffs. Once there, you never know.

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

Sounds like you are giving up on the season. I definitely play Hass even if he's only 80% healthy. He will probably retire any way at seasons end. I definitely don't play Andrew unless he is 100% though. Charlie stinks.

Your not saying tank the whole season, but you are saying tank the rest of the season essentially.  As long as the Colts have a chance, they have a chance.  They should keep competing until they no longer have a chance.  There have been teams in the past that have barely made it into the playoffs and ended up making a run.  I wouldn't bet that the Colts will be able to do that, but you never know.

2 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Your not saying tank the whole season, but you are saying tank the rest of the season essentially.  As long as the Colts have a chance, they have a chance.  They should keep competing until they no longer have a chance.  There have been teams in the past that have barely made it into the playoffs and ended up making a run.  I wouldn't bet that the Colts will be able to do that, but you never know.

If we get in and Andrew and Dorsett and Costanzo are all healthy I think we can win a Playoff game or 2 possibly. There have been numerous teams win the SB without a Bye week.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sounds like you are giving up on the season. I definitely play Hass even if he's only 80% healthy. He will probably retire any way at seasons end. I definitely don't play Andrew unless he is 100% though. Charlie stinks.

If that guy plays on Sunday his name is going to change from Charlie Whitehurst to Charle "Watt" Hurst!  Watt is going to be draped all over his behind.  That dude is going to be standing in the pocket patting on the football looking like he couldn't find an open receiver anywhere.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

If that guy plays on Sunday his name is going to change from Charlie Whitehurst to Charle "Watt" Hurst!  Watt is going to be draped all over his behind.  That dude is going to be standing in the pocket patting on the football looking like he couldn't find an open receiver anywhere.

If Charlie plays we are in deep you know what!

What you're basically saying is tank the season using veiled language.  How exactly do you know we won't win a playoff game?  Even in that trash 2011 season we beat a playoff level team with Orlovsky at the qb.  Anything can happen so no we are not buying the "Protecting our Players" stuff.  If Hasslebeck can play you play him. If Luck is cleared to play then you play him.  If not then obviously it'll be Clipboard Charlie.

I think Luck or Hass play. We haven't signed a QB yet and considering the playoff implications of this game I think there must be some definite confidence in the FO if they are going to have one of them. I know many will say well Whitehurst would start we don't need a QB. But I think just because of the scenario if you are that unsure if you were going to have at least two healthy QB's you'd sign a backup ASAP.

My hopes are that Luck starts but I'm not counting on it, so if Hasselbeck starts, and the Colts can put up 10 pts in the first quarter.  It would help the defense out tremendously!  I would pull out a bag of tricks to get an early jump.  That being said, I'm assuming the Texans defense will get to him enough that he is sidelined once again.  If the defense can force a TO or Whitehurst can sustain another drive or two, I think that may be enough to win this game!  I'm not expecting much out of the Texan offense (with Hoyer out and hardly a run game), so Vontae and a S should be on Hopkins like White(on)hurst (lol literally no separation)! and I don't see them putting up many points.  I could see this game being 16-10 or 13-6 favoring the Colts.  That's why it is important "IF" anybody other than Whitehurst starts we can put up points QUICKLY!

If luck can't go, the post season doesn't matter.  We're a seriously flawed team with him.  We're an outright bad team without him.  You can put Hasselbeck in if he's healthy enough to play, but you don't sit him just because you don't want to risk injury to him.  Same with the other guys.  With jobs on the line, you aren't going to get guys to sit just because our season might be over earlier than January.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

If luck can't go, the post season doesn't matter.  We're a seriously flawed team with him.  We're an outright bad team without him.  You can put Hasselbeck in if he's healthy enough to play, but you don't sit him just because you don't want to risk injury to him.  Same with the other guys.  With jobs on the line, you aren't going to get guys to sit just because our season might be over earlier than January.

I would think Luck would be 100% healthy by the Playoffs but can we win this Sunday without him is the million dollar question? If we lose Sunday this season is over.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would think Luck would be 100% healthy by the Playoffs but can we win this Sunday without him is the million dollar question? If we lose Sunday this season is over.

The initial timeline was 4-6 weeks.  We're at week 6 now and Irsay is not sure he'll play at all in 2015 - there's a report about it on espn (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14366469/indianapolis-colts-uncertain-whether-andrew-luck-plays-again-2015).  Basically, Irsay is under the impression that Luck isn't close to returning.  If Luck doesn't return before the playoffs, we're not in the playoffs IMO.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

The initial timeline was 4-6 weeks.  We're at week 6 now and Irsay is not sure he'll play at all in 2015 - there's a report about it on espn (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14366469/indianapolis-colts-uncertain-whether-andrew-luck-plays-again-2015).  Basically, Irsay is under the impression that Luck isn't close to returning.  If Luck doesn't return before the playoffs, we're not in the playoffs IMO.

Yeah, that isn't good. Then again maybe the Colts don't want to reveal how healthy he is? They have been known for doing that. He may be closer to 100% than all of us think outside of the organization.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, that isn't good. Then again maybe the Colts don't want to reveal how healthy he is? They have been known for doing that. He may be closer to 100% than all of us think outside of the organization.

With some guys maybe.  With Luck, they've been mum about everything to the point the local media was getting frustrated to no end because the Colts wouldn't just say something definitive.  So Irsay, of all people, coming out and saying something is telling.  

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

With some guys maybe.  With Luck, they've been mum about everything to the point the local media was getting frustrated to no end because the Colts wouldn't just say something definitive.  So Irsay, of all people, coming out and saying something is telling.  

I bet he doesn't play Sunday, if he doesn't we need Hass to give us 1 last great memory and win this game on Sunday. Hopefully Andrew is definitely healthy by next week or the Playoffs if we get in. If Charlie starts we wont win IMO.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I bet he doesn't play Sunday, if he doesn't we need Hass to give us 1 last great memory and win this game on Sunday. Hopefully Andrew is definitely healthy by next week or the Playoffs if we get in. If Charlie starts we wont win IMO.

If for no other reason, than to keep the streak against Houston alive.  It won't mean much for this season if Luck truly is going to be decommissioned for 2015.  But yeah, it would be a good memory if he plays and can pull it off.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we get in and Andrew and Dorsett and Costanzo are all healthy I think we can win a Playoff game or 2 possibly. There have been numerous teams win the SB without a Bye week.

I agree anything is possible, I just haven't seen any signs from the Colts this year that would make me feel comfortable betting money on them.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

The kind of QB play that let the Colts win 16 str8 games in the South.
 Those WERE the days.
 Whoever we put out there is going to get pounded.
If Andrew can`t do his regular lifting in the weight room he has ZERO business on the field.

3 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

The guy is being Paid to compete if he can get himself out there. It really is that simple.
 We may see Whalen at QB against the Texans. How exciting would that be?
 Lets hope he is better at taking snaps than.... :D

Hasselback would be the first one to get out there if he can, he understands this business. It would have been worth every bit we paid him, much better than what we got out of Kerry Collins in 2011 paying him $4 mil. for literally nothing, thanks to the Polians.

3 hours ago, jszfunk said:

I think as a team if you still have a chance to make the post season, like the Colts, you do.

I doubt Matt will be back next season. Not that  the Colts don't want him , but it would not surprise me if he chooses to retire,

Me too. I know the guy is paid to be a backup and gets paid well, but I don't think, in his wildest dreams, he thought he would have to start so many games.

4 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Yea your the only one..

no, its just a football game, a persons health is more important. hass will retire after this season, a bad injury could affect him the rest of his life. imo don't play injured players period. the big question who plays when the Texans put whitehust out of the game? our o-line cant protect anyone.

4 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

If MH is ready to play...yes! I would rather see him play than Charlie Whitehurst. With Castanzo (hopefully) coming back, the run game has to show itself this week. Same with defense and special teams. As long as there is hope, the Colts have to do what they can to get into the playoffs. Once there, you never know.

The run game hasn't shown up in 47 games 

5 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

What would they be saving Hasselbeck for ? He has sore ribs. If they were risking his long term health by playing him , I would agree. Otherwise Pagano should start which ever guy gives us the best chance to win. A banged up Hasselbeck is bad but is the Jesus guy better ?

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

Based on how we played Sunday. How about with Luck, Castonzo, and a few others back?

If we can make the playoffs (seemed to be a given, for the most part, at one time) and we get some key guys healthy, anything can happen. Of course, Luck would be a really "key" guy.