Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano on his future....

NewColtsFan

At his Monday meeting with the media,  Pagano was asked how he's holding up under the stress of a very disappointing season which could lead to his firing.....

His answer runs nearly 2:00, but I think you'll find it interesting.....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000601740/article/chuck-pagano-they-can-fire-you-but-they-cant-eat-you

Need to fire everyone including Irsay with a self fire

Keep Chud though. Like his play calling, just Hasselbeck has stunk since the Steelers spanking. Missed too many throws Sunday long before that game got ugly. Fleener wide open, Allen, and many others he missed

Especially Andre Johnson who takes a lot of criticism from this forum when they can't get the ball to him

If we win this week all the Colts fan will say keep Pagano haha What a difference 1 win can make especially a game that will basically give us the Division. It is going to take a lot to motivate this team at this point though. They look lost. Maybe it's conditioning because over the last 2 weeks we have played good in the 1st half but just look like we are running in sand in the 2nd Half. That 2nd Half yesterday blew my mind. The Jags played a horrible 1st Half and then rolled all over us in the 2nd Half. We should've been up at least 20-3 at Half yesterday, instead it was 13-9 then they get an 80 Yard TD play to start the 2nd Half. I felt like we had complete control of the game despite blowing chances in the 1st Half and didn't see a 2nd Half like that coming. I have no idea what to expect Sunday. We could win 30-10 or lose 30-10.

There is no way Pagano is keeping his job.

He does not fit here and it's obvious.

So either him or Grigson needs to go.

They butt heads too much. 

I'm ok with ditching Grigs too, but we need a HC who is allowed to actually make decisions on the team's personnel.

All those rumors hold at least a little weight.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we win this week all the Colts fan will say keep Pagano haha What a difference 1 win can make especially a game that will basically give us the Division. It is going to take a lot to motivate this team at this point though. They look lost. Maybe it's conditioning because over the last 2 weeks we have played good in the 1st half but just look like we are running in sand in the 2nd Half. That 2nd Half yesterday blew my mind. The Jags played a horrible 1st Half and then rolled all over us in the 2nd Half. We should've been up at least 20-3 at Half yesterday, instead it was 13-9 then they get an 80 Yard TD play to start the 2nd Half. I felt like we had complete control of the game despite blowing chances in the 1st Half and didn't see a 2nd Half like that coming. I have no idea what to expect Sunday. We could win 30-10 or lose 30-10.

I don't think it will be tough to motivate this team.  There is plenty of veteran leadership in the locker room.  I am still convinced that Pagano has control of this team.

If we win against Houston, we more likely than not will win the division and have a home game in the first round of the playoffs. 

Nobody knows if Luck will come back this year or not, but his interview today seemed like he's optimistic about it.

Houston also is playing with a back-up QB, which should give our team some hope.  Now, let's hope that Hasselbeck can play over Whitehurst this week and that Watt and Co. don't kill him.

The Pats beat the Texans worse than they beat us.  We've already beaten the Texans with Hasselbeck at QB. 

We are still in first place in our division, I don't see how it will take a lot to motivate this team.

That was very interesting, and it really seems like Pagano has accepted the fact that he won't be coaching this team next year.  It also really comes off like he has had some issues with the front office.  Saying they won't eat you, really came off as they can't destroy you(a cancer reference?) and life goes on.  If it really has been that difficult for Pagano, my hat goes off to him for being so positive.  Also, Grigson needs to go in a bad way. 

Irsay is going to have a dilemma this off-season.

Hypothetical.....

Let's say he doesn't bring back Pagano.....   most of us think that's going to happen, so, let's say it does...  Pagano is out.

Then what?

If Irsay/Grigson want a new head coach?  Who?    I'm not looking for names as much as I am focused on the dilemma.     If it's a Big Name, like Saban or Sean Payton...    guys like that either typically want their own people around them and that would mean also firing Grigson,   OR, if they hire an assistant like Pagano was 4 years ago,  which career assistant wants to be tied to a GM who only has one year left on his contract?    If Irsay doesn't extend Grigson (and why would he?)  then Grigson has one year left, and a decent assistant doesn't want to go to an unstable situation like that. 

So, from my perspective....   Irsay has painted himself into a bit of a corner....   don't retain Pagano and you might as well fire Grigson too.     Because keeping RG without extending him only sets up more uncomfortable relationships no matter which type of coach gets hired.....     Not good for the Colts.

This will shape up as a fascinating off-season......

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

At his Monday meeting with the media,  Pagano was asked how he's holding up under the stress of a very disappointing season which could lead to his firing.....

His answer runs nearly 2:00, but I think you'll find it interesting.....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000601740/article/chuck-pagano-they-can-fire-you-but-they-cant-eat-you

I've heard that live, but also checked it via twitter. I've got the feeling that he is gone after the season. 

14 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

I've heard that live, but also checked it via twitter. I've got the feeling that he is gone after the season. 

Yeah.....    I think we're all getting that feeling....

So, I'd expect the official announcement -- either way -- on the Monday or Tuesday after the season ends.....   but it's typically the Monday....   that's why that day is known as Black Monday on NFL calendars...  Coaches get let go on that day....       As for Grigson,  Irsay will have to say something one way or the other that week as well...    perhaps a day or two later?      We'll soon see.....

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah.....    I think we're all getting that feeling....

So, I'd expect the official announcement -- either way -- on the Monday or Tuesday after the season ends.....   but it's typically the Monday....   that's why that day is known as Black Monday on NFL calendars...  Coaches get let go on that day....       As for Grigson,  Irsay will have to say something one way or the other that week as well...    perhaps a day or two later?      We'll soon see.....

Agreed. Unless we make the PO, what only delays things. 

I've read on twitter from Holder that Grigson had turned down any media availability this season?! Hmmm... 

I expect another major earthquake at Colts this offseason.

4 minutes ago, jaybird95 said:

Damn, it sounds like he's nearly conceded defeat. The only way he's here next year is if we win the Super Bowl. Bye Chuck, you did a good job fooling many people for a few years.

I don't think he'd be talking about it,  except he was asked about it....

And I don't think you win 11 games your first year, 12 your 2nd, and 13 your 3rd by fooling anyone........

I was expecting the Jags game to be a dogfight because their defense is formidable & Blake Bortles was due for a breakout game vs INDY eventually. I'm more upset at our performance vs the Steelers in back to back seasons. Hades, we were demolished twice by the same team. INDY didn't even show up vs Pittsburgh. That's the deal breaker for me right there. 

I want Tom Coughlin because NY will cut him loose when the Giants miss the playoffs again & he will hire somebody competent that can fix our line, allow Luck to climb the pocket, & give Gore room to work. 

Pagano is gone. No way around that fact now. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hypothetical.....

Let's say he doesn't bring back Pagano.....   most of us think that's going to happen, so, let's say it does...  Pagano is out.

Then what?

If Irsay/Grigson want a new head coach?  Who?    I'm not looking for names as much as I am focused on the dilemma.     If it's a Big Name, like Saban or Sean Payton...    guys like that either typically want their own people around them and that would mean also firing Grigson,   OR, if they hire an assistant like Pagano was 4 years ago,  which career assistant wants to be tied to a GM who only has one year left on his contract?    If Irsay doesn't extend Grigson (and why would he?)  then Grigson has one year left, and a decent assistant doesn't want to go to an unstable situation like that. 

So, from my perspective....   Irsay has painted himself into a bit of a corner....   don't retain Pagano and you might as well fire Grigson too.     Because keeping RG without extending him only sets up more uncomfortable relationships no matter which type of coach gets hired.....     Not good for the Colts.

I've said this before & I'll say it again. At 1 time, I thought we could dismiss the HC & keep the GM, but if we have to cut bait with both Pagano & Grigson so be it. Since the AFC South is getting better competition wise & we can't seem to beat the 2 teams always in our way [Pittsburgh & NE] let's find a duo that can at least make us capable of winning games we need to win without getting embarrassed on Natl. TV. If we faced AZ next week, they'd kick our caboose. Who are we kidding here?

I want a coach who can at least close the gap of losing in blowouts & a GM who isn't so beholden to the best player available mindset that he would pick WRs nonstop in the draft if you let him. No GM worth his salt would ignore gapping holes in order to always take surplus while bypassing minimal depth on a roster. Look, I appreciate how Grigs dealt with dead money issues on the books in 2012 & he did well on the Parry & Anderson picks I will admit. However, the Dorsett pick still ticks me off. We needed Malcolm Brown IMO. 

Chuck is a nice guy & I'm glad that he overcame his cancer diagnosis, but he's being paid to get us to a SB & win the darn thing, not get to the game before it & get steamrolled. Hey, the NFL is brutal & tough. No one said it was a cake walk man. 

Thank you for your contributions in INDY & for all your community outreach. But, you're just not good enough to be our head coach any longer. We gave you a shot, you tried your best, but it didn't work out. So be it. Not everybody's meant to be a head coach. I'd fail at this gig too Chuck. Good luck being a coordinator in another city man. 

You can finish out the year that's perfectly fine, but an extension on your behalf isn't warranted at this juncture. Sorry. Hey, I wish I was a studio producer for a major record label, but I'm not either. Such is life. You'll land on your feet just fine Chuck. Hang in there. 

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Chuck is a nice guy & I'm glad that he overcame his cancer diagnosis, but he's being paid to get us to a SB & win the darn thing, not get to the game before it & get steamrolled. Hey, the NFL is brutal & tough. No one said it was a cake walk man. 

Thank you for your contributions in INDY & for all your community outreach. But, you're just not good enough to be our head coach any longer. We gave you a shot, you tried your best, but it didn't work out. So be it. Not everybody's meant to be a head coach. I'd fail at this gig too Chuck. Good luck being a coordinator in another city man. 

You can finish out the year that's perfectly fine, but an extension on your behalf isn't warranted at this juncture. Sorry. Hey, I wish I was a studio producer for a major record label, but I'm not either. Such is life. You'll land on your feet just fine Chuck. Hang in there. 

So its Chuck's fault that Grigson built a very flawed team and his pro bowl quarterback got hurt?  The job Pagano has done this year is nothing short of amazing, holding this team together after Luck went down.  I also think some of the younger guys like Hilton have gotten complacent.  3 straight years of playoffs to start your career and maybe you let your foot off the gas a little.  

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hypothetical.....

Then what?

It may be that complicated, but it may not.  It depends on a lot of things that we can't see.  If Irsay believes in the future of his investment into Grigson then there is plenty of history to suggest you can bring in whatever coach you want and fashion the GM role as needed to make it work.  Of course, all the options you listed are on the table too.

I doubt Pagano's contract will be renewed. I don't see the team going far in the playoffs; there are too many good teams

. I would be surprised if the Giants let Coughlin go. After last night, they are tied for first in the NFC East and have a good chance to win the division. Even if they don't win, the Giants organization seems to like Coughlin. There were rumors of him being on the hot seat before, and nothing came of it. I think he'll be their coach until he retires, so little to no chance of him becoming Indy's coach. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hypothetical.....

Then what?

Finally someone with some thought process.

First (imo) the hiring of 2 rookie center pieces (HC and GM) with a new rookie QB was a huge mistake.  But since we have made the bed we might as well lay in it.  I see potential for Grigs and Pagano to work, the issue is Irsay stepping in and giving a clear vision because I feel that is what is lacking.

Second if you fire one you must fire the other.  There isn't going to be a middle ground here.  Pagano is well liked by the NFL and widely known.  The chance that someone comes to work with an open mind with Grigs is going to be very minimal because if he can't get along with Pagano (who could get along with coaches in Baltimore) then many will be wary to become an accompaniment to Grigson.  

Third the only way around this is to promote from within.  Meaning Chud would then be HC and we would need (another) OC.  Which imo is a nightmare.  Chud might also want to bring in a DC so this team would then restart.

In summary I see the Colts having some issues no matter the direction.  The best case is no one is fired Chud gets his chance and we upgrade the DC position if available.  The worst case is both are fired and we get another set of rookie GM/HC candidates... yes fascinating (if you wanna call it that lol)  

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Without Luck we have vert little hope to score 20.
More like 10 if we are Lucky.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think he'd be talking about it,  except he was asked about it....

And I don't think you win 11 games your first year, 12 your 2nd, and 13 your 3rd by fooling anyone........

Come on, face it: he sucks. Caldwell made it to the Super Bowl. Wins aren't entirely indicative of good coaching, that's why he fooled many people.

There are really three type of coaches in the NFL.  The motivators, the intellectuals and combination of both.  Motivators are the type of coaches that are good for a rebuilding team because you usually have a mix of young talent and old guys who are thinking more about retirement than making a name for themselves in the NFL.  The intellectuals are the game planners the guys that can X an O with the best of them,  These guys don't always make the best HC coaches because they spend too much time game planning and not enough on developing the fundamentals that are necessary to make the game plan a success.

Pagano is clearly a motivator (the situation is similar to Jim Moore in Manning's first few years).  Now that the team has some talent (and yes I believe the Colts have talent at most positions) they more of the intellectual coach, someone who can game plan, someone who can figure out how to attach and nullify an opposing team's strengths and force them to rely on their weaknesses.  If they can find someone that is both that would be great but they are few and far between.  BB is one, I think Andy Reid also falls into that category, Tomlin is right there as well.  And that is about it, IMO, in the current NFL.  

36 minutes ago, peytonmanning18 said:

He has absolutely no support from anyone above him in the organization.  Of course he lost his energy and drive.  He knows he's going to be fired.  

He lost the desire before the season began, not recently. Why would they support him? Losing record outside the AFC south, players not ready for games, questionable decisions made in games, quarterback play declining..............

3 hours ago, peytonmanning18 said:

So its Chuck's fault that Grigson built a very flawed team and his pro bowl quarterback got hurt?  The job Pagano has done this year is nothing short of amazing, holding this team together after Luck went down.  I also think some of the younger guys like Hilton have gotten complacent.  3 straight years of playoffs to start your career and maybe you let your foot off the gas a little.  

Every teams has some flawed aspect; some more then others. Injury is just an excuse here. Look at Pitt winning some games with Vick and the other back-up. Look at KC steamrolling without Charles. 

7 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Agreed. Unless we make the PO, what only delays things. 

I've read on twitter from Holder that Grigson had turned down any media availability this season?! Hmmm... 

I expect another major earthquake at Colts this offseason.

38 minutes ago, jeepnkal said:

Sounds to me like a man that has lost the fire in his belly. IMO, he didn lose it recently, he lost it some time ago.

I don't know.  I am having a tough time dismissing rumors about Grigson and the front office trying to control the coaching staff's decisions.

In the first game when Luck was injured, Pagano was fired up about it and IMO took a direct shot at Grigson in the media after the game -- they asked about Luck having trouble playing under pressure and Pagano shot back with something along the line of "he's had to deal with this type of offensive line for 4 years, he should know how to play when he's got no time by now" or something -- which I don't think was a shot at Luck, I think it was more of 'our offensive line sucked when I got here and my GM has done next to nothing to fix it, in fact 4 years in, the OL is still the worst part of our team and probably the worst it has been."

What I respect about Pagano most so far this season is that he's been taking blame and credit for everything.  Grigson is pretty much standing in the shadows and being vague any time he does give an interview.  Yes, he directly denied controlling who is on the roster and who starts/plays/etc., but why would he own up to that after the media (multiple sources) reported players were concerned with that issue after their player's only meeting?  It would make him look like a fool.  Also, it was Irsay and Grigson that got into a heated argument earlier this year -- no reports of Irsay and Pagano doing that, other than Irsay has not seemed to endorse Pagano all that much.

I don't think Pagano has lost his fire, I think he might be having it supressed for a lot of this season.  He always says he doesn't read the paper or listen to the news, but no way this much scrutiny cannot be effecting him to some degree.  What makes it worse is when you've got guys in the media like Mike Wells and Greg Doyel asking the bogus questions they were asking in last week's presser.  Nobody deserves to deal with crap like that.

Pagano has overachieved with this team, IMO.  I don't know that even Bellichek could succeed with this team, to be honest.   Yes, we lost a few close games earlier in the year (to some very good teams) and we made some bad mistakes, but really if you look at how bad our OL, our pass rush, our lack of depth at CB, and taken into account the fact that we're playing with a backup and 3rd string QB, do you really expect us to be lighting the world on fire?

26 minutes ago, jeepnkal said:

He lost the desire before the season began, not recently. Why would they support him? Losing record outside the AFC south, players not ready for games, questionable decisions made in games, quarterback play declining..............

Mph I don't know.  Maybe it would have something to do with three straight playoff appearances and a trip to the championship game.  

1 hour ago, peytonmanning18 said:

He has absolutely no support from anyone above him in the organization.  Of course he lost his energy and drive.  He knows he's going to be fired.  

Exactly, try working somewhere everyone above you is working against you.  That would be a completely exhausting situation.  He knows he's not going to be with the Colts next year, the players know it, and he has to deal with a complete jerk at GM.  The fact that he is still this positive is pretty amazing, most guys would have completely snapped.