Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading The #1 Overall Pick.

If we were to trade the pick, I think Cleveland would be the perfect trade partner. They pick at #4 and #22 in the 1st round. I'm quite sure we would have no problem getting those picks, plus some, in return for the rights to draft Luck. Then, take Claiborne, Kalil, or Blackmon with the 4th pick (whichever is available or whichever position is most needed), and the best available player with the #22 pick. Plus, we have the #33 pick. That's a lot of quality picks to enrich the roster. As long as Peyton is healthy and ready to turn that lazer, rocket arm loose on the league, we need to trade the pick and load up on young, talented playmakers.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree trade down with cleveland and take Claiborne then with the twenty-second pick, assuming hes still there,Mark barron . You will also have the 33rd overall and could get someone who just barely slipped ou of the first round who will be a difference maker primarily Nick toon. Nxt year will be the year you draft Qb with the Browns first rounder next season. this helps rebuild and shed some money off the payroll as you wont need to resign Wayne by adding Toon

I would really like to trade if Peyton is ready to go! I think he is going to be OK to play. I would like to see the colts with a good defense and a Peyton led offense. Qb can come later in the draft or next year. With Cleveland first we will have two 1st Rounders again next year. Talk about rebuilding!

Unless we're VERY confident in both Manning being healthy and the team being able to win a Super Bowl in the next couple years, we can't trade the pick. As much as I want to be, I'm not confident in either. I think we're missing too many pieces (so many that I don't think we could fill them even if we hit on every pick we got from trading), and even though I've held out hope for a while now, I'm starting to doubt Manning's health, especially looking 3-4 years down the road. I have no desire to see Peyton on another team (though part of me would like to see him enhance his legacy on a team like the 49ers or Jets), and even though I know it'd be a couple years before we could acquire enough talent to make a Luck led team successful, drafting him is the only prudent long term decision. We're spoiled as Colts fans that are used to going to the playoffs every year and being in the thick of the Super Bowl chase, but we have to embrace short term loss for long term gain in this situation

If we were to trade the pick, I think Cleveland would be the perfect trade partner. They pick at #4 and #22 in the 1st round. I'm quite sure we would have no problem getting those picks, plus some, in return for the rights to draft Luck. Then, take Claiborne, Kalil, or Blackmon with the 4th pick (whichever is available or whichever position is most needed), and the best available player with the #22 pick. Plus, we have the #33 pick. That's a lot of quality picks to enrich the roster. As long as Peyton is healthy and ready to turn that lazer, rocket arm loose on the league, we need to trade the pick and load up on young, talented playmakers.

Well everyone and their brother says to trade with Cleveland because they are the team with the 2 first rounders that everyone assumes would want Luck...yet everything Holmgren has said, states that he wants to stick with McCoy.

The teams most likely to be trying to get our pick, would be Washington/Miami etc...teams who definitely need a new starter. Cleveland "may" want Luck, but everyone needs to stop assuming that all we have to do is call the Browns and they would jump on it.

Also, we dont have the #33 pick, we will have the #34 pick...hopefully Mark Barron is still there, but i doubt it...i would guess that either dallas will grab him, or new england will use one of their 2 first rounders on him.

Anyhow, i was all on board with trading the pick, but the more time i spent watching Luck's games...and the more i feel that Irsay definitely wants to draft the QB of the future, the more i'm absolutely ok with drafting Luck...i DO NOT want RGIII

I was firmly in the trade the pick camp for most of the year, but no more. Take a second to remember Schlichter, Pagel, Trudeau, George, Chandler, and Dan O and Painter this year.... Or the teams that chase the likes of McNabb, Hassleback, Grossman, Collins or whatever vet who they hope will carry the day ..... This is a QB league, you take the QB. Could it fail? Sure. But when lucky enough to have a chance at the highest graded QB in three decades, you don't pick a CB or WR or T, even two of those. After all Manning has done for this franchise, I am surprised anyone who watched what that meant could consider passing on the prospect graded by most higher than Manning when he left school. No other player in this draft is talked about as a once in a decade kind of player. Could the experts all be horribly wrong? Yep. But you don't trade a QB for any other position. No more important position in all of sports.

I was firmly in the trade the pick camp for most of the year, but no more. Take a second to remember Schlichter, Pagel, Trudeau, George, Chandler, and Dan O and Painter this year.... Or the teams that chase the likes of McNabb, Hassleback, Grossman, Collins or whatever vet who they hope will carry the day ..... This is a QB league, you take the QB. Could it fail? Sure. But when lucky enough to have a chance at the highest graded QB in three decades, you don't pick a CB or WR or T, even two of those. After all Manning has done for this franchise, I am surprised anyone who watched what that meant could consider passing on the prospect graded by most higher than Manning when he left school. No other player in this draft is talked about as a once in a decade kind of player. Could the experts all be horribly wrong? Yep. But you don't trade a QB for any other position. No more important position in all of sports.

I bet if you says this to the ravens they would have a different story for you. Plus we take him and release Peyton. Where does that leave us in luck gets hurt? A team built around the QB scoring a lot of points so our pass rush deffense can get to the opposing QB. The opponents won't have to pass if we can't hang 30 on them which in turn would render our defense useless. Like this year, except it would be every year, and bythe time we get enough pieces around him, he would already be half way out the door.

the "experts" overhype players and some of the teams/fans put way to much trust in them. So if or rather when Peyton is declared healthy, and ready to play in this league that is geared towards keeping the QB upright, the pick should be traded.

do you even watch andrew luck play? this guy doesnt need to be hyped hes the real deal. you wanna win for 4 years fine. ill take 15

I bet if you says this to the ravens they would have a different story for you. Plus we take him and release Peyton. Where does that leave us in luck gets hurt? A team built around the QB scoring a lot of points so our pass rush deffense can get to the opposing QB. The opponents won't have to pass if we can't hang 30 on them which in turn would render our defense useless. Like this year, except it would be every year, and bythe time we get enough pieces around him, he would already be half way out the door.

The Ravens would say how incredible that the 18th pick and second QB taken (to Matt Ryan) out of Delaware has grown so quickly to keep the team comeptitive, winning divisions, and shows promise of being a starter for a decade. Delaware QB. Division II when I was young - whatever they call it now... Remember Manning went 3-13 and 6-10 in two of his fist four years. Out of the SEC. The most athletic conference in the land. Flacco had, and still has a learning curve a wee-bit larger. He played against lawyers, doctors, and stock brokers playing CB in college. You think Baltimore isn't thrilled at the production and maturation of Flacco? Who was a late bloomer at the combine, and not graded off the charts out of school. The Ravens have spent as long building defense as the Colts spent building offense - and they have exactly the same number of rings to show for it.

Why would drafting Luck mean the Colts couldn't have a veteran QB starter (Manning) or backup? Think Irsay and the Polian family know what not having a QB meant this year? Think Irsay will make that mistake again? Think Chris Polian will ever be a NFL GM again (alone, without his father getting some title in the same organization)? What about drafting Luck means the Colts can't use the rest of the picks on D or whatever it is that is needed to regain balance? Teams throughout NFL history have had balance. There is no reason why that can't happen. You start with QB - not end there. The Colts system over the last 14 years was flawed, but it worked. Should they have won more Superbowls? Maybe. But no promise of that. People catch balls off of helmets, people get tuck rules called, people don't run slants hard and are undercut by CBs.

But to your point, has a team like the Giants had balance? When was Eli drafted? Do the Giants play good D (off year this year, but they looked pretty good Saturday against Atlanta, and historically have been good), rush the passer, run the ball, and have a first over-all pick QB? With a SB win, and in the playoffs still...

I get the trade the pick idea. I was there too. I posted that on this board. No more for me. If Manning was 30-32, I would be all over it. But Manning will be 36. By any standard or examination of NFL history, that is as near the end for any QB for greatness as it gets. Could Manning be different? Sure. Is it likely? Not with that roster, even with additional picks this year if the pick is traded.

do you even watch andrew luck play? this guy doesnt need to be hyped hes the real deal. you wanna win for 4 years fine. ill take 15

I wanna win Now and personally I think Peyton could play longer then 4 years if his neck is completely healthy. Plus u wanna speak up, then answer this what do we do if lucks a average QB? So we have no Peyton, a horrid defense, and average offense. What? hope our division opponents blow their team up too and we can be like the NFC west of the past. Sneak into the playoffs at 7-9. Yes I've watched luck play, I saw him take a snap once kneel down tie his cleat, pop back up and throw to his open RB in the flats. But on a real note I've seen him make a lot of the check down throws, and also doesn't he have like a 6'6" WR seen him throw a lot of jump balls. That's not happening on this team.

I wanna win Now and personally I think Peyton could play longer then 4 years if his neck is completely healthy. Plus u wanna speak up, then answer this what do we do if lucks a average QB? So we have no Peyton, a horrid defense, and average offense. What? hope our division opponents blow their team up too and we can be like the NFC west of the past. Sneak into the playoffs at 7-9. Yes I've watched luck play, I saw him take a snap once kneel down tie his cleat, pop back up and throw to his open RB in the flats. But on a real note I've seen him make a lot of the check down throws, and also doesn't he have like a 6'6" WR seen him throw a lot of jump balls. That's not happening on this team.

you obvisouly havent watch enough games of luck if thats all you see. you wanna play what if fine, what if luck turns out be the next great qb and instead of having great qb play for the next 15 years, we get killed by him everytime we play him and if you think peyton can play til hes 40 with neck surgury your insane

Well everyone and their brother says to trade with Cleveland because they are the team with the 2 first rounders that everyone assumes would want Luck...yet everything Holmgren has said, states that he wants to stick with McCoy.

The teams most likely to be trying to get our pick, would be Washington/Miami etc...teams who definitely need a new starter. Cleveland "may" want Luck, but everyone needs to stop assuming that all we have to do is call the Browns and they would jump on it.

Also, we dont have the #33 pick, we will have the #34 pick...hopefully Mark Barron is still there, but i doubt it...i would guess that either dallas will grab him, or new england will use one of their 2 first rounders on him.

Anyhow, i was all on board with trading the pick, but the more time i spent watching Luck's games...and the more i feel that Irsay definitely wants to draft the QB of the future, the more i'm absolutely ok with drafting Luck...i DO NOT want RGIII

There are 32 teams in the NFL. We own the 1st pick of each round. We have the 33rd pick.

That doesnt make any sense what so ever... what makes you think Luck is gonna even last 15 much less 10? everyones saying luck is gonna give you 15years lol... the man could end up being sam bradford for the colts.

The only way i would accept luck coming to the Colts is if peyton will be cut... other than that its a no go... if peyton comes back its gonna 4yrs of peyton football... so your 15yrs is out the window.

What QB that has the momentum luck has would want that? idc what you say i would demand for a trade if i was Luck.. lol no dice.

There are 32 teams in the NFL. We own the 1st pick of each round. We have the 33rd pick.

you're right about there being 32 teams in the NFL, i am well aware of that...but you're wrong about us having the 33rd pick and about us having the 1st pick in each round...look it up if you dont believe me, but since we finished with the same record as the Rams, we alternate 1st/2nd pick in each round...so first round we are 1 and rams are 2...but second round rams are 1 and we are 2 and so on and so forth through the draft

You know the NFL used to alternate picks in rounds when teams had the same record. The tie breakers determined the pick in the first round, but then teams alternated. Phil Richards had a story in the Star a week ago or so where he said the Colts have the first pick in every round, and he confirmed that is the rule when I emailed him asking about it. I don't know when that changed. I will say, look at last years draft - the Bills, Bengals, and Broncos alternated in later rounds - all were 4-12. I can't find the gospel on this, but if the new CBA changed it, I can't find it. Last year the Bengals, for example, had pick four in round one, the third pick in round two, the second pick in round three, and back to the fourth pick in round four.... so unless the new CBA changed the draft order rules, I actually still think teams with the same record alternate order in subsequent rounds. Meaning, the Colts and Rams alternate who picks first in each round. I have looked for an actual copy of the complete CBA (way too much time on my hands) for things like this issue, league dates, etc., and haven't found one yet. It does matter though - and if the Rams actually have the first pick in the even numbered rounds, that can change things.

you obvisouly havent watch enough games of luck if thats all you see. you wanna play what if fine, what if luck turns out be the next great qb and instead of having great qb play for the next 15 years, we get killed by him everytime we play him and if you think peyton can play til hes 40 with neck surgury your insane

Do some research this surgery would make it stronger when he comes back, so Peytons been playin hurt for so long, now that he's healthy sounds even more scary. but like I said if we used 8 picks(1st and 2nd rd) over the next 2 years on a olinemen, maybe a WR, then rest on defense, I would be willing to take my chances.

I am with you 100%. I am surprised there is not more like us.

Too many people out there already writing Peyton off and ordering their Luck jerseys.

Too many people use the "Luck is unproven and could be a bust" excuse, and would rather take a 36 year old with 3 neck surgeries and over a year off the football field over a 22 year old kid with projections rivaling Elway.

I don't think anybody who says "Luck will be a bust" watched that FIesta Bowl... 27/31 and 347 yds look like "bust" numbers to me. :sarcasm:

The Ravens would say how incredible that the 18th pick and second QB taken (to Matt Ryan) out of Delaware has grown so quickly to keep the team comeptitive, winning divisions, and shows promise of being a starter for a decade. Delaware QB. Division II when I was young - whatever they call it now... Remember Manning went 3-13 and 6-10 in two of his fist four years. Out of the SEC. The most athletic conference in the land. Flacco had, and still has a learning curve a wee-bit larger. He played against lawyers, doctors, and stock brokers playing CB in college. You think Baltimore isn't thrilled at the production and maturation of Flacco? Who was a late bloomer at the combine, and not graded off the charts out of school. The Ravens have spent as long building defense as the Colts spent building offense - and they have exactly the same number of rings to show for it.

Why would drafting Luck mean the Colts couldn't have a veteran QB starter (Manning) or backup? Think Irsay and the Polian family know what not having a QB meant this year? Think Irsay will make that mistake again? Think Chris Polian will ever be a NFL GM again (alone, without his father getting some title in the same organization)? What about drafting Luck means the Colts can't use the rest of the picks on D or whatever it is that is needed to regain balance? Teams throughout NFL history have had balance. There is no reason why that can't happen. You start with QB - not end there. The Colts system over the last 14 years was flawed, but it worked. Should they have won more Superbowls? Maybe. But no promise of that. People catch balls off of helmets, people get tuck rules called, people don't run slants hard and are undercut by CBs.

But to your point, has a team like the Giants had balance? When was Eli drafted? Do the Giants play good D (off year this year, but they looked pretty good Saturday against Atlanta, and historically have been good), rush the passer, run the ball, and have a first over-all pick QB? With a SB win, and in the playoffs still...

I get the trade the pick idea. I was there too. I posted that on this board. No more for me. If Manning was 30-32, I would be all over it. But Manning will be 36. By any standard or examination of NFL history, that is as near the end for any QB for greatness as it gets. Could Manning be different? Sure. Is it likely? Not with that roster, even with additional picks this year if the pick is traded.

Joe Flacco was a highly recruited QB coming out of high school, he couldn't make it at Pit and transferred. Going in the the draft he was IMO the most talked about QB because he was ridiculously big and had great athleticism as well. He was also said to be the most accurate QB that year too, combine that with his arm strength(saw him throw it 80 yards in that college compitention on espn) and great pocket presence, now mix that in with an already made system and it's not a bad deal. The only knock on him was the level of competition he played against. However with that said the ravens still reached for that pick. But you are right the ravens did wipe the sweat of their foreheads and say got lucky on that reach. But as for thief defense they would say no and that they've been carrying ever since. They were just talking about that a few weeks ago. And it's the same scenario the jets did with Sanchez, he was hyped up by the experts and is doing very lil in NY, and you can hear the whispers now can't you? He's no good trade him, or some people are even suggesting cut him and get Peyton. Wow that's something jets fans want to release their young franchise QB for our old broken. But they can't yet they've already invested to much gonna have to wait for that contract to be up. Heck by then it could cost Rex his job, and the system could be back in rebuilding mode.

But our system did work but that was because of one factor, Peyton you take him out and you get all out preseason games and 2011.like I said before, our offense is based around our QB getting the ball to his receivers and score a lot of points. Because of this it caused our defense to be built around our pass rush, cause the other team would have to throw the ball a lot to keep up. So even when Peyton had a bad game our pass rush was still affective because they knew we could come back at any given time.

So my point is before we go replacing the main factor, the whole systems needs rebuilt first and we could get enough picks to do this. With our defense the way it is now we only need to replace about 4-5 guys. 1-2 big DT to stop the run specialist, a beast at middle linebacker, someone who resembles R. Lewis or urlacker, a lock down corner, and a starting safety. With that outside pass rush and our 3 stoppers in the middle, that is looking very promising.

You will have to forgive me I don't get your logic. "get rid of the only piece in our system that's not broken replace him with an unknown and we will be better, maybe not now but in a couple years"

I kno u didn't say trade him specifically, but this is what it's leaning towards. And yes I am awear that technically peyton is broken, this is all based on him being healthy and able to play.

Unless you get an absolutely amazing deal you have to take Luck.

An amazing deal?

First........ Manning must be proven to be 100 percent. Not 95%

He must be able to make any and all the throws at the same velocity as before

Second........ Manning MUST Give a commitment to play a minimum of 4 more years.

Third.........Cleveland is the logical partner to trade with... BUT 2 first round picks isnt nearly

Enough.

For the pick I would ask

1) Joe Thomas ..... (this guy is a mile ahead of our current OT)

2) Both first round picks

3) A conditional pick for 2013. (if Luck plays 50% or more, a first round pick)

We could move one of our current rookie OTs to Guard to replace Diem, and move the other to RT

This would solidify our OL for many years to come.

We would STILL draft Luck in this fantasy world, and would only pull the trade if RGIII

(or Blackmon) is still available at 4

This is probably not going to happen, but If Manning can play, this makes some sense.

But understand....... Fans in fantasy land, is sort of like two fleas argueing over which one owns the dog they sit on.

This is now the best option. Peyton has now made known his commitment to the Colts for the 2012 season, so I expect him ready to go, and playing pain-free. This will be like a Manning who has turned back the clock. If Favre can recover from elbow surgery to have the best season of his career at age 38, Manning will be fine.

Do some research this surgery would make it stronger when he comes back, so Peytons been playin hurt for so long, now that he's healthy sounds even more scary. but like I said if we used 8 picks(1st and 2nd rd) over the next 2 years on a olinemen, maybe a WR, then rest on defense, I would be willing to take my chances.

Ummmm I don't think that's accurate.

the "experts" overhype players and some of the teams/fans put way to much trust in them. So if or rather when Peyton is declared healthy, and ready to play in this league that is geared towards keeping the QB upright, the pick should be traded.

Luck is not just hyped by the experts because there are football people who feel the same way about him.

If Luck turns out to be as good as expected, the Colts will regret forever not taking him when they had the chance, with virtually no regard to the return they get for the pick.

If they trade the pick, they have to be 100% certain that Manning is going to come back healthy and barring a new injury be able to make it thru a full season this fall.

There are lots of pros to trading that pick and getting a lot in return (well more than just Cleveland's 4 & 22) --- but they can't go into 2012 with and injured Manning and no Luck.

Luck is not just hyped by the experts because there are football people who feel the same way about him.

If Luck turns out to be as good as expected, the Colts will regret forever not taking him when they had the chance, with virtually no regard to the return they get for the pick.

And if luck turns out to be average and indeed overhyped, the colts will be thanking the football gods. That's thing about the draft its hit and miss, sure there are "sure things" declared by the experts, but even then it's chance.

If they trade the pick, they have to be 100% certain that Manning is going to come back healthy and barring a new injury be able to make it thru a full season this fall.

There are lots of pros to trading that pick and getting a lot in return (well more than just Cleveland's 4 & 22) --- but they can't go into 2012 with and injured Manning and no Luck.

And I agree with this too, Peyton has to be 100% healthy.

luck is so way overhyped. remember the past three years? what has those top qb's done. nothing really. has any one of them won a superbowl yet? nope. and they were supposed to be the next great "elway, marino, manning, etc" they do this every year and hype up the top qb of the class. look at the ones that have won a superbowl the past few years were they picked #1 besides manning? eli wasn technicaly 1, big ben was lower, brady much later, brad johnson wasnt a 1, drew brees wasnt a 1. so yes trade the pick and if it is cleveland and blackmon is sitting there at 4 take him then pick up the qb from oklahoma at 22.