Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Whom is to blame for this train wreck Defense?

Pacergeek

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, krunk said:

I think the offense right now is the hugest difference maker for the defensive performance.  Offense is doing jack crap nothing right now. Defense is on the field too long and having to overcome too much.  Then of course there are the injury guys we have missing, and this dumb bell defensive coordinator who has left me scratching my head as of late.  Why are UDFA players starting over guys you have drafted, or given up draft picks to obtain?  Put them in the game and let them play dummy!

EXACTLY Krunk!!!! People on here are loosing perspective. Yes the last few weeks the Defense has stunk to high heaven...no denying that. There are definitely some faults and lack of talent st multiple positions. BUT...For about the first 11 games Our Defense was solid 80 percent of the time and kept us in games and gave us chances. Despite the fact they were continously put in horrible spots by the atrocious offhand it's inability to sustain a drive, constant 3 and out. I think we need to give just as much and maybe more question to who's responsible for the offense and it's inability to get a TD in the redzone. I think the D is getting worn out from having to carry the load for basically 80% of the season so far.

On 12/14/2015 at 9:25 PM, Pacergeek said:

Grigson, Pagano, or Manusky? 

Grigson is in charge of roster management, and our defense lacks playmakers and a pass rush. Should these players be better, or are the coaches doing a poor job developing our players?

Pagano is the HC, and was known for being a strong defensive coach. Is Pagano not doing his part, or are the players just that bad on defense?

Manusky is the DC. Not sure how is role is different from Pagano to be honest. Maybe he could be good if he had better players.

I guess it comes down to if the players are really this bad, or are the coaches not helping these guys play better

Yeah, cause the defense is definitely the problem. 

Only so long a defense can hold while the offense stinks it up before they get scored on

Sacks, Fumbles, 3 & outs. Defense did their part, the offense is trash

9 hours ago, SilentHill said:

I haven't the slightest idea of why people are absolving Manusky, the cold hard facts is that he has NEVER in his entire NFL CAREER fielded a top 10 defense... once again EVER!

He even took the #1 Ranked SD defense and turned it into trash in ONE season.

He needs to go, his play calling and defensive philosophies are comparable to a tickle me elmo.

I've never been a fan I didn't fall for the nonsense that we were a good D with him 

On 12/14/2015 at 9:31 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Coaches, players not playing well, the offense going three and out all of the third quarter, injuries.  Take your pick there is a lot to pick from.

Yup. Basically all of these. Manusky has played zone way too much this year, we have zero pass rush, and they are on the field a ton because of all the three and outs. 

They gave up 30 pts to a promising O in ascent.  Not that bad a D, and they had the game on lock the first half; stymied Jags O.

Take away the punt return TD, fumble return TD and interception return to 1 yard line.  That's 21 points. 30 to the best O in the South with the 3rd ranked QB in TD passes (30) and all those weapons isn't horrific.

Jags O has been on rampant 2nd half of season.  6 TDs in 6 redzone trips in Nashville last week.  Still lost, on the foot of the nightmare kicker, as they did in Indy. Could easily be division leaders thus far.

13 hours ago, tikyle said:

Wow.

See why I brought up Pep.  Now we are blaming his "offense."  First it was his play calling.  Now that he's "dead" and gone his "offense" still lingers?  Really.  That's the reason for us being outscored 26-96 in two weeks......the corpse of Pep Hamilton's offense?  You can't make this stuff up if you tried!!  I'm done.

When will people just admit this team is not that good this year AND poorly coached.  Admit it.  You can still love the team and admit it's failures and not have to blame it on one guy as a way of making sense of it.

Get real, nobody is blaming it on one guy, guess you didn't read through this thread. Everybody is being blamed and rightfully so. This act like Pep was a scape goat is freaking *ic.

On 12/14/2015 at 9:31 PM, Coltfreak said:

Not sure why everyone labels Pags as a strong, great, guru or whatever on D.  He was a DB coach on the Ravens before being elevated to DC and had Ray Lewis Ndagta and Ed Reed for one yr. 

He really didnt have to do much with those guys.  Ray even said they coached themselves.

Pags is Herm Edwards...  King of the Cliche .... and a good DB coach  and that is all

Omg you are 1,000,000% Right!  I've been thinking about posting that but haven't got around to it. I glanced at his resume 1 day and I don't understand why irsay hired him.

Not only do I think that being a HC job is way above his level but I seriously doubt that even as a DC he would FAIL. 

13 hours ago, BOTT said:

As DC and OC 

Ohhh, thank goodness. Saban as HC, they're the coordinators. Yes, that's much better. I'm still not interested in Saban.

But McCoy can be my OC any day. From Orton to Tebow to Manning to Indy-style Manning, all in two seasons. Then he helped resuscitate Rivers in 2013. 

I'm fine with Pettine at DC, too. He was in charge of the Jets defense when they were #1 basically across the board, in 2009 and 2010.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Ohhh, thank goodness. Saban as HC, they're the coordinators. Yes, that's much better. I'm still not interested in Saban.

But McCoy can be my OC any day. From Orton to Tebow to Manning to Indy-style Manning, all in two seasons. Then he helped resuscitate Rivers in 2013. 

I'm fine with Pettine at DC, too. He was in charge of the Jets defense when they were #1 basically across the board, in 2009 and 2010.

I gave some thought to Pettine as DC as well.  Losing my patience on Manusky now

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm not sure about Saban either...he was just an obvious name I through out there.  If he could pull a Tom Coughlin and stop being a miserable 24/7 I would be on board.  But at this point most of the names mentioned are gambles.

On 12/14/2015 at 8:25 PM, Pacergeek said:

Grigson, Pagano, or Manusky? 

Grigson is in charge of roster management, and our defense lacks playmakers and a pass rush. Should these players be better, or are the coaches doing a poor job developing our players?

Pagano is the HC, and was known for being a strong defensive coach. Is Pagano not doing his part, or are the players just that bad on defense?

Manusky is the DC. Not sure how is role is different from Pagano to be honest. Maybe he could be good if he had better players.

I guess it comes down to if the players are really this bad, or are the coaches not helping these guys play better

It really doesnt matter all that much. The way things are trending, Pagano and Manusky for sure will be fired and Grigson is on shaky ground but I would say he's back next year but I'm not 100% confident that he will be especially if Jim has a head coach in mind that wants more control.

People talk about our defensive personnel and what not, but we've got more sacks than the Bills do and they have better players.  I'm not sure if our problem is just needing younger players although it would bring some explosiveness.   Overall I still point to the trashy offensive performances being the biggest issue.  Losing Henry Anderson wasn't good either.  I still think we have an effective group on defensive with the guys we have now. Just can't keeping expecting them to hold down the fort with no offensive help.

Rex's much-ballyhood "exotic" blitz scheme has produced just 19 sacks on the season despite a star-studded -- and massively expensive -- roster including Mario Williams, Marcell Dareus, Jerry Hughes and, before his season-ending knee injury, Kyle Williams.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000602726/article/rex-ryan-takes-blame-im-the-guy-it-should-fall-on