Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Declining the Penalty on Jax's first drive?

JPFolks

Why in the world would you decline a penalty that would have pushed Jax out of field goal range on their first drive (tripping) guaranteeing them a very makeable FG instead of trusting the D to get a stop?  

Bizarre..... and certainly an omen of things that eventually came.  

That's one of those darned if you do darned if you don't things because had Pagano taken the flag and the Jags convert after the Colts had them stopped everyone would be saying why did Pagano give them another shot at it.  He figured 3-0 probably wasn't going to be the final score of the game so he took the stop got the Jags off the field and turned the game over to the offense. 

5 minutes ago, azcolt said:

It was a stupid decision. Every other NFL coach puts them in third and 19. But why should I be surprised that so many posters have defended the decision. Some guys here should have choked on the Kool-Aid by now.

Might want to read the thread, I am the only one who came close to defending it and I just said it was a darned if you do and darned if you don't situation.  If the Jags pick up 3rd and 19 people are screaming at Pagano for being dumb for giving them another chance after they had them stopped. 

With that said, what I didn't say earlier that I should have, I think I would have taken my chance with 3rd and 19.

2 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Because it would've gave them another chance yeah it would've been 3rd and long but what if the jags completed a pass for atleast 10 or 15 yards? It still would've had them in field goal range so regardless it wasn't a dumb move to decline it

While I think I would have still taken the flag the other what if is what if the Colts give up a deep shot to the endzone or what if they hit a 15 yard pass a guy breaks a tackle and gets a first down?  Then people would have been all over Pagano for giving them another shot.  It's a darned if you do darned if you don't situation until the Jags either miss the kick or the Colts stop them. 

Still like I said I would have taken my chances on 3rd and 19.

This is not a darned if you do, darned if you don't thing.  He would not have been chastised if he had accepted it and the jags got a 1st.  It was a straight up no brainer to accept the penalty.  It was absolutely just plain stupid to decline it. 

8 minutes ago, Kyle said:

This is not a darned if you do, darned if you don't thing.  He would not have been chastised if he had accepted it and the jags got a 1st.  It was a straight up no brainer to accept the penalty.  It was absolutely just plain stupid to decline it. 

Have you been around here?  Pagano puts his hat on the wrong way and people jump all over him.  If he accepts that flag and the Jags get a first down you could bet anything it would have been second guessed and he would have been chastised for giving them a second chance when they had them stopped.  That's what fans do, we like to Monday morning quarterback anything that doesn't work.  

Again, I agree I think I would have taken my chances with third and 19 but if the Jags somehow picked that up or scored people would have been all over Pagano.

6 hours ago, azcolt said:

It was a stupid decision. Every other NFL coach puts them in third and 19. But why should I be surprised that so many posters have defended the decision. Some guys here should have choked on the Kool-Aid by now.

And I have been a defender of keeping Pagano.. but that decision and a few similar ones that seem to happen each week are finally wearing thin on me.  I've supported Pagano based more on the concern of 5th season in changing everything we do on both sides of the ball with Luck and the D.  What if our next coach wants to run a 4-3 etc.  We don't want to bottom dwell in the middle of Luck's prime.  But enough may finally be enough. 

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Have you been around here?  Pagano puts his hat on the wrong way and people jump all over him.  If he accepts that flag and the Jags get a first down you could bet anything it would have been second guessed and he would have been chastised for giving them a second chance when they had them stopped.  That's what fans do, we like to Monday morning quarterback anything that doesn't work.  

Again, I agree I think I would have taken my chances with third and 19 but if the Jags somehow picked that up or scored people would have been all over Pagano.

Let's see, risk giving up a first down or simply go ahead and give them 3.   Are people seriously supporting giving up the 3 instead of trying to, you know, play defense?  

That's as logical as just giving them 3 each possession automatically because, you know, they might score a touchdown later in that drive so why even play defense, just always say "you can have the 3 right now."  Because that is exactly what they did.  

Given the Colts defense, at the time I thought it was the correct call to make, to turn it down and force the FG.   I stand by the decision. 

Colts have much bigger issues than forcing a first drive FG attempt instead of giving a team another 3rd down shot.  

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Let's see, risk giving up a first down or simply go ahead and give them 3.   Are people seriously supporting giving up the 3 instead of trying to, you know, play defense?  

That's as logical as just giving them 3 each possession automatically because, you know, they might score a touchdown later in that drive so why even play defense, just always say "you can have the 3 right now."  Because that is exactly what they did.  

I've said many times in this thread that I would have gone with 3rd and 19.  I am just pointing out had the Jags picked that up people would have blasted Pagano for giving them a second chance.  

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

This is not a darned if you do, darned if you don't thing.  He would not have been chastised if he had accepted it and the jags got a 1st. 

Yes he would have.

Did you actually watch the defense play yesterday?

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I've said many times in this thread that I would have gone with 3rd and 19.  I am just pointing out had the Jags picked that up people would have blasted Pagano for giving them a second chance.  

And those people would be wrong if they said that and expose that they don't know much about football. 

21 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Why in the world would you decline a penalty that would have pushed Jax out of field goal range on their first drive (tripping) guaranteeing them a very makeable FG instead of trusting the D to get a stop?  

Bizarre..... and certainly an omen of things that eventually came.  

Have you seen their kicker?   He has missed multiple extra points this year.   Why take a chance with Hurns and Robinson going deep?   I had no problem with letting them kick.    Hind sight is always 20/20

7 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

The people who don`t know football would have blasted him.
Even a Bad Defense should be able to stand against a 3rd and 19.
 It was a rattlebrain call.

Really?    So the D gets a holding,   illegal contact,   illegal use of hands,  PI they get a first down.   The jags have a terrible kicker.   It wasn't a terrible call,   and certainly many coaches would have made the same decision.

12 hours ago, JPFolks said:

A 46 yard field goal is far from a certainty.   

55 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Have you seen their kicker?   He has missed multiple extra points this year.   Why take a chance with Hurns and Robinson going deep?   I had no problem with letting them kick.    Hind sight is always 20/20

Every drive had the same danger of them going deep.. should the team offered a free field goal each time they started a drive?  It would have been 3rd and 19.... it isn't like they needed 1 yard or something.   

Give away 3 points because you fear they might convert for a first down and then eventually score.  

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

Every drive had the same danger of them going deep.. should the team offered a free field goal each time they started a drive?  It would have been 3rd and 19.... it isn't like they needed 1 yard or something.   

Give away 3 points because you fear they might convert for a first down and then eventually score.  

A 46 yard FG to the worst kicker in the league isn't giving away 3 points 

10 hours ago, azcolt said:

Coughlin has the same choice -- fg would have been two yards longer -- and of course pushes Miami out of fg range. Pagano is a dope.

You know I saw that and hoped someone else would also notice.  Same situation, and Coughlin makes the obvious and correct decision and saves his team 3 points.  It was illustrated clearly for those here who can't seem to comprehend how it would have worked.  If you don't think you can stop someone getting a 3rd and 19 and would rather give up a field goal rather than face them converting and having a shot to score a TD then you should not be coaching the team.