Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Luck dosent play next week, our season is over.

SilentHill

The difference in the potential caliber of player we are going to get drafting 10 or better as opposed to winning this division and looking at, say 22nd in the draft is considerable. And, of course, we will be in better position with every subsequent round as well. Let's really focus on building the OL and drafting a centerpiece at linebacker and depth for our secondary. And again, how beloved Pagano is or is not in the minds of the players is irrelevant. It isn't translating to any kind of success on the field...The team is often unprepared and seemingly unable to make in game adjustments and alter strategies. Look at New England- They maximize the potential of each player. They cross train their men to play multiple positions in order to increase versatility and account for injury. They are savvy with game preparation. Does anyone think these blowout losses would fly in New England? 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Jules said:

Is he coming back next week? I found a recent pic of him.

stock-photo-knight-on-white-horse-with-n

That armor is off at the shop being buffed to a high sheen. Only issue is, will it be finished before this upcoming Sunday? 

Watch the practice reports, if Luck does not practice in full, I feel there is less than a 50% he plays vs. the Texans.

It really is at the point when you have to seriously weigh the pros and cons of Luck even coming back this year? He has taken such a beating is it worth his long term progress and health to throw him out there behind this team that is injured and arguably has already quit? I am not sure and I am one that feels when you get to the playoffs anything can happen....quite the conundrum.

All valid concerns, RustonRifle.  As you will remember with Bert Jones, he was a stud undone by taking a beating and the injuries that resulted.  Hall of fame career undone.   I really don't want a repeat 40 years later.   That being said, if he's deemed healthy, you have to put him in. Without Luck, I agree that the Colts are doomed.

the only real "All-in" that the Colts have to do is this off-season in doing what needs to be done to field a competent offensive line next year.

10 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

All valid concerns, RustonRifle.  As you will remember with Bert Jones, he was a stud undone by taking a beating and the injuries that resulted.  Hall of fame career undone.   I really don't want a repeat 40 years later.   That being said, if he's deemed healthy, you have to put him in. Without Luck, I agree that the Colts are doomed.

the only real "All-in" that the Colts have to do is this off-season in doing what needs to be done to field a competent offensive line next year.

The ironic thing, Luck is more Bert Jones than Manning in a lot of ways too.. I just hope that their careers don't end up mirroring each other.

But to the OP's premise, I regretfully agree. If Luck doesn't play this week, I really don't see this team beating Houston.

17 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I agree with everything you wrote....having been a huge fan of Jones makes my concern for Luck's long term health even more critical. I don't want to see a repeat of the Jones tragedy.

7 minutes ago, Restored said:

The ironic thing, Luck is more Bert Jones than Manning in a lot of ways too.. I just hope that their careers don't end up mirroring each other.

But to the OP's premise, I regretfully agree. If Luck doesn't play this week, I really don't see this team beating Houston.

I agree. Luck is more Jones than Manning in the way he plays...we have been very fortunate as Colts' fans having such an incredible history of great QB's.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Have the guys quit on Chuck or is this bad play just due to not having Andrew? That was real disappointing yesterday.

We got 'hammered' the past two weeks.  I would "think" if they loved Coach like they say they do....they would not allow him to look really bad 2 weeks in a row...

You guys seem to think Luck will play if his kidney isn't 100% healed. 

It's not really up to him or the organization. 

It's up to the doctors. 

Regardless, as bad as we are, we can beat Houston with a healthy Hasselbeck. 

I do not think we can win with CBJ though. 

1 minute ago, ricker182 said:

You guys seem to think Luck will play if his kidney isn't 100% healed. 

It's not really up to him or the organization. 

It's up to the doctors. 

Regardless, as bad as we are, we can beat Houston with a healthy Hasselbeck. 

I do not think we can win with CBJ though. 

I'm not so certain we could even beat them with Hasslebeck.  He seems to have hit the finish line to me.  The guy is playing awful and he looks disoriented out there.  Understand about the rib issues, but even at Pitt before the injury he stunk.  To be honest we even saw glimpses of it in the Atlanta game as well.  I think Matts window is closing very quickly.

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Jim Irsay would be the first to tell you he wants and expects this team in the playoffs even today because he knows if your in the playoffs ANYTHING can happen.  There is also the point that if the Colts don't make the playoffs the guys responsible for this team, Grigson and Pagano probably aren't going to be back next season.  So no they aren't going to just give up on the playoffs for a slightly higher draft pick next year and two maybe easier games than they would get if they win the division. 

Luck's shoulder by all reports is healthy.  So let's chill on the he has an injuries shoulder.  That's healed.  The abdominal tear and kidney are different.  I have never once said they should just rush him out there if he isn't healthy.  If anything I've taken the stance that if he's not 100% healthy of course he shouldn't play. 

Playing Luck healthy or not is a separate issue on if the Colts should tank the rest of the season.  Regardless of if Luck is the QB, Hasselbeck, or even clipboard Jesus this team is going to do everything they can to make the playoffs.  They are not just going to give up on the season for a higher draft pick and maybe two easier games next season. 

I'm not saying give up on the season.  I'm saying that Luck has been beaten and battered this season and you can't believe the reports out there about his health.  He has been more injured than the Colts have lead us to believe and we don't know how healed his shoulder really is nor do we even know the extent of the shoulder injury.  An abdominal tear and lacerated kidney are both very serious.  All I'm saying is that it would be a very bad decision to rush Luck back or allow Luck to rush himself back just to try to win a playoff spot especially knowing how poorly this team is built and coached.  I'm sure Grigson and Pagano want Luck back as quickly as possible because they want to save their jobs.  This team is terrible as evidenced by the beat down yesterday.  When your MVP is the punter then something is seriously wrong with your team.  

4 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I'm not saying give up on the season.  I'm saying that Luck has been beaten and battered this season and you can't believe the reports out there about his health.  He has been more injured than the Colts have lead us to believe and we don't know how healed his shoulder really is nor do we even know the extent of the shoulder injury.  An abdominal tear and lacerated kidney are both very serious.  All I'm saying is that it would be a very bad decision to rush Luck back or allow Luck to rush himself back just to try to win a playoff spot especially knowing how poorly this team is built and coached.  I'm sure Grigson and Pagano want Luck back as quickly as possible because they want to save their jobs.  This team is terrible as evidenced by the beat down yesterday.  When your MVP is the punter then something is seriously wrong with your team.  

I'd agree but according to the injury timelines, Luck is right on pace to be back this week if not the next.

3 hours ago, ThaCaliColt said:

The difference in the potential caliber of player we are going to get drafting 10 or better as opposed to winning this division and looking at, say 22nd in the draft is considerable.

we wont be picking in the top 10 unless we lose out, and we still may not get it.  there are 22 teams with 7 or more losses right now

that doesn't even seem right, but I triple checked

Why would anybody want to lose?  I get it about the draft, but if that's what your focus/mindframe is, do you really think picking 5-10 spots higher is going to set us over the top?  YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!! lol

It really doesn't matter what "fans" think, if you honestly think these players aren't going 100% next week, then you are fooling yourself.  They put in so much blood sweat and tears in the last year, to make the playoffs, not to tank the last couple of games. 

Despite the end point of the season, I firmly believe we will see offseason changes.  It is pretty evident that even if we can make it in there are at least 3-4 teams better in the AFC alone.  I think we could make it to the Championship game but it is unlikely at this point. 

I do think if Luck isn't playing this week, our season is probably over.  That being said, I wouldn't count out Hasselbeck if Castonzo and Thornton are back.  Dorsett and Freeman also in the mix.  Also as bad as Toler has played, it still hurts having him out.  He is our #2 corner, because he is the 2nd best on the team.  Like it our not!!

I've heard reports saying if Luck isn't practicing by Wednesday than chances of him playing are slim, but it's not up to him or the coaches.  This is the 6th week so it's probably 50/50. 

31 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

So there for you can jump to conclusions that his shoulder is still hurt?  It looked fine the last time he played to me when he was carving up the Broncos secondary.  

Very few to no one is saying rush Andrew back.  People are saying if he's cleared to play sitting him makes no sense. What's the point of having a 100 million dollar QB if you sit him if he's cleared to play in a game you need to win to make the playoffs at home?  Those are the reasons you have an Andrew Luck.  

With that said if he's not healthy he's not healthy and shouldn't play.  However, no one here knows if he's healthy or not better than the team doctors whose jobs and professional reputations depend on getting his health status right so let's resist the urge to not trust them.  If they say Luck can play he should play if they say he can't then he won't.

This isn't going to come down to what Luck, Pagano, Grigson, or even Irsay wants. It's going to come down to doctors clearing him or not.  

7 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Why would you risk putting Luck in (who holds the ball 10x longer than Hasselbeck) behind this O-Line that Ryan Garbageson has put together? 

Take the higher draft picks and give them to whoever is taking this train wreck over next year. 

Defeatist attitude should come if we lose to Houston, not before. Or once it's announced that Luck cannot play this week.

56 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It's not blind faith to think this team can beat a team at home they already beat this year on the road with a backup QB who was getting off his sick bed to play.

That was all the way back in week 6 though, and Indy and Houston couldn't be going in more opposite directions than they are right now.

So we're supposed to have blind faith we can beat Houston, when Jacksonville beat us by 36 points? Looks like there are still a lot of people in fantasy land. I don't mean fantasy football, at least I can control my fate there. Two back to back losses of 36 and 35 points and we can beat Houston with a healthy Hasselback? Don't make me laugh.

Put him in? So JJ Watt can crush him like a bug? So the Colts can go to the Super Bowl? 51 points by the Jags proves the Colts are not good, they are old and the entire body of the company cannot draft and cannot build a winner. Getting to the playoffs is nothing as we see this year in the AFC South and NFC East, teams with pathetic W-L records are going to the playoffs. Sit Luck until next year, dump the old players that were supposed to get this team to the SB. Gore and Andre Johnson are wastes of money. Dump Griggs, dump the entire offensive coaching staff. I dread the upcoming draft to see how bad they screw that up. Don't lose sight of the pre-season predictions of the Colts going to the Super Bowl this year only to prove they are not good at any level. 

I just want to put this out there...for all you Clowns who are saying I hope we lose next week.....if we win and make the playoffs, don't show up to the game and for darn sure don't turn on your TV and watch it.  Remember you didn't want us to win, you wanted the season to be over, so don't... you never root for your team to lose, especially if they can make the playoffs.  #fairweatherfan

4 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I just want to put this out there...for all you Clowns who are saying I hope we lose next week.....if we win and make the playoffs, don't show up to the game and for darn sure don't turn on your TV and watch it.  Remember you didn't want us to win, you wanted the season to be over, so don't... you never root for your team to lose, especially if they can make the playoffs.  #fairweatherfan

If we make it, I will be dancing for joy to be honest. I've seen the good and the bad over the long stretch of following this team. Getting in the playoffs means at least one more day to watch my team play. 

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

So there for you can jump to conclusions that his shoulder is still hurt?  It looked fine the last time he played to me when he was carving up the Broncos secondary.  

Very few to no one is saying rush Andrew back.  People are saying if he's cleared to play sitting him makes no sense. What's the point of having a 100 million dollar QB if you sit him if he's cleared to play in a game you need to win to make the playoffs at home?  Those are the reasons you have an Andrew Luck.  

With that said if he's not healthy he's not healthy and shouldn't play.  However, no one here knows if he's healthy or not better than the team doctors whose jobs and professional reputations depend on getting his health status right so let's resist the urge to not trust them.  If they say Luck can play he should play if they say he can't then he won't.

This isn't going to come down to what Luck, Pagano, Grigson, or even Irsay wants. It's going to come down to doctors clearing him or not.  

It will come down to Luck, Pagano, Grigson, or Irsay.  The doctors can say he can play but that doesn't mean that he should play.  

10 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I agree. Luck is more Jones than Manning in the way he plays...we have been very fortunate as Colts' fans having such an incredible history of great QB's.

I very much agree with the Luck / Bert Jones comparison.  Never ever entered my mind about a similarity in style between Manning and Bert Jones, though, aside from Manning being a great "leader".   Manning's style was unique  unto himself. 

For those with long memories, we understand the legend that was to be that was undone by a basically crap team around him ... and we fear the same course / fate for Luck, for the disaster that might lead to a couple of decades of futility if his injuries were to become chronic. 

Thus, as mediocre as the defense is and has been, enough is enough.  This coming offseason the Colts have to go all-in on building a quality OL.  Only after that, with all the pieces the team currently has, should we worry about the defense, imho. 

23 hours ago, SilentHill said:

That's it, if he doesn't play it's over. I'm calling it now.

On the bright side, if we lose, we will have a decent draft pick.

I'm not sure what front office and coaching changes are coming if we lose next week, but i, sure they will, and the decision to let Arians walk looms large.

They had no choice but to let Arians walk.    They weren't going to fire Pagano coming back from cancer treatment.   

I am actually more worried about going to Miami then playing Houston at home regardless of QB.

I was more worried about the Jags too this year since in a funny way they are built to beat us better then our other two division rivals right now.