Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Do The Numbers 14-0, 62 To 0, 0-13, 14-24 Mean?

BIGugly

so we keep a coach who doesnt want to win...Herm Edwards would disagree

Then he must have been TRYING to lose this season too - I think that you've finally uncovered the secret to all the Colts problems. Lets get a coach that wants to win! I think I'll call Irsay's office first thing tomorrow.

No idea why you are referrencing Herm Edwards. But it is hilarious finding myself in a Colts forum arguing about whether or not the Colts did their best to win those games. When it happened I had a couple of converstions on the NY Times site with Jets fans who were enjoying things a bit too much. I won those debates with a flury of data concerning the fact that several Colts defenders didn't even participate in the game, and others saw limited action. Pulling the skill players was just the icing on the cake.

Then he must have been TRYING to lose this season too - I think that you've finally uncovered the secret to all the Colts problems. Lets get a coach that wants to win! I think I'll call Irsay's office first thing tomorrow.

No idea why you are referrencing Herm Edwards. But it is hilarious finding myself in a Colts forum arguing about whether or not the Colts did their best to win those games. When it happened I had a couple of converstions on the NY Times site with Jets fans who were enjoying things a bit too much. I won those debates with a flury of data concerning the fact that several Colts defenders didn't even participate in the game, and others saw limited action. Pulling the skill players was just the icing on the cake.

you be sure to give him a call, check back with us tho and let me kno how that goes.

But I believe it was the great herm Edwards that said "you play to win the game". My personal feeling on this subject is the SB is the ultimate goal, and winning every game would eventually lead to that. But as for this season it was an avalanche waiting to happen, star player gets hurt, no legit back up QB, defense is still relying on the pass rush(which is useless if u can't score points), and a coaching staff that lacked the experience to make the necessary adjustments to give our team a better chance to win. But as for the jets, they should of won that game we treated it as if it were a preseason game, and everyone knos how we do in the preseason. An offensive that can't score(without Peyton) and a defense based on it's pass rush equals poor preseason performances. Sounds like there's a whole mess of problems.

I'm not sure what the point is of elimating the brilliant 14-0 start from your record calculations as if it was some sort of aberration.

Well, let's see. If we keep in the 14-0, that makes him 28-24 with the Colts. Add in his 26-63 record at Wake Forest and his career head coaching record is 54-87. Don't let the 14-0 define his career or his head coaching ability. While it was not an ABERRATION, it certainly was an ANOMALY.

Well, let's see. If we keep in the 14-0, that makes him 28-24 with the Colts. Add in his 26-63 record at Wake Forest and his career record is 54-87. Don't let the 14-0 define his career or his head coaching ability. While it was not an ABERRATION, it certainly was an ANOMALY.

A lot of people who don't like Caldwell throw this out there. It sounds horrible, but as with most things, details matter.

Wake Forest isn't the NFL, or even Penn State - it's a tiny school that has historically been overmatched. Winning seasons are few and far between. Consider the fact that he was the first African-American head football coach EVER in the ACC, that he stayed there for 7 years and left on his own terms, that in his second to last season they went 7-5 and won the Aloha Bowl over Arizona State (bowl games being an incredibly rare event in the schools history), that he built a prolific offense that got attention unheard for the program. Then he handed it off to Jim Grobe, who has taken the program a little bit farther and higher. It's called building a program, and I doubt very much that Caldwell is looked at there the way that you are assuming he should be.

http://www.wakefores...well_jim00.html

It's the Manning effect.

All wins while Manning is on the field are attributed to Manning. After all, no one needs to do anything on the weeks Manning plays.

All losses while Manning is unable to play are attributed to the HC, because he prepares the team on those weeks only.

And all the Caldwell fans should also not forget the 2010 playoff loss to the Jets. With the Colts leading 16-14 with 29 seconds left..Caldwell calls a time-out that allows a nervous Jets team, to take the time to set up an 18 yard pass play and then use their last time out to kick the winning field-goal to beat us 17-16....THAT should have been enough to end Caldwells career in Indianapolis.....what was he thinking?

And all the Caldwell fans should also not forget the 2010 playoff loss to the Jets. With the Colts leading 16-14 with 29 seconds left..Caldwell calls a time-out that allows a nervous Jets team, to take the time to set up an 18 yard pass play and then use their last time out to kick the winning field-goal to beat us 17-16....THAT should have been enough to end Caldwells career in Indianapolis.....what was he thinking?

Also discussed endlessly here.

Perhaps he was thinking that his defense needed to be reset after the Jets had gained 22 yards in three plays and moved into field goal range - after a kick return so far up the field that any offense in the league would have had an excellent chance to win the game from the moment it happened. The Time Out only seems questionable in retrospect because Ryan made it clear that he was setting up for a field goal - but who in their right mind sets up for a field goal from that distance with that much time left on the clock and a time out in hand? Anything could have happened, and after two passes followed by an unexpected run (by one of the most prolific running offenses in the league) perhaps the defense wanted to regroup. Or maybe he was thinking that it was better for the Colts that the Jets try to pass, because the field goal was a 50/50 shot, while a desperation pass attempt by Sanchez with a rested Freeney and Mathis breathing down his throat should have less of a chance than that, as well as a chance for a game ending sack - maybe even a fumble. Don't know about you, but I've seen it a few dozen times before.

And if the Colts hadn't stopped the clock, the Jets could have, or perhaps should have. The Jets won the game because the next play was a completion down the sideline that would have stopped the clock anyway if taken out of bounds or spiked (allowing the shorter field goal) or stopped the clock with an incompletion leaving the Jets exactlly where they had been. The problem isn't that Caldwell called a time out, the problem is that they allowed the completion. Poor execution against a crappy passing offense by a defense devastated by injury. Ultimately the coaches responsibility, but hardly the foolish call everyone assumes.

Put it this way, people act as if Caldwell got outcoached, and that Ryan is far superior - the type of coach the Colts should get. Yet if the teams had been reversed and the Colts had been setting up for a field goal, we would have been screaming about the pure idiocy of not trying to get closer. And Ryan's team underperformed dramatically this year - finishing 500 and not even making the playoffs after two successive AFC championship appearances - with nothing resembling the legitimate excuses that the Colts have. And Ryans locker room is an unqualified mess, with players pointing fingers, grumbling to the press, underperforming, and itching to leave. The Colts in turn love their coach, move in lock step, never say a bad word about anyone, and played game 16 of a horrible season as if it was the Super Bowl.

I'm not a Caldwell "fan" per se, I just try to respond to some of the unfair comments. I'm sure there are better coaches out there, and if he gets fired I'm not going to get upset. But the hatred and blame directed at the man is just over-the-top.