Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our terrible O-line.....

The Peytonator

The much-,maligned O-line may be better than some fans give them credit for. Not saying they are exceptional but when AC comes back and Reitz goes back to RT, they have time to gel. How much better will this team be, should they get a consistent running game and protection for Andrew.

I'm more concerned about the pass rush than the O-line.

5 minutes ago, Gavin said:

The O line is better pass blocking then fans overall give them credit for. Not great but not bad. Run blocking wise its pretty bad. Some of that's scheme, Some of that's fundamentals, Some of that's talent

Yes. That's a good way to sum it up. Gonna need Castonzo & Reitz to uphold the OL pushing into the Playoffs for Andrew, given that we make it. Just wish we could make some wider holes for Frank. That would be monumental.

In years past there have been major issues and even this year the early season guard play was atrocious. But I'm fine with Castonzo and Reitz at tackle and Mewhort at guard. No complaints with those guys. Castonzo hasn't played as well as last year but I'm still glad we have him. I think we lack depth at left tackle specifically and I don't think we have had good play out of the center spot no matter who starts there.

Yeah  we all know Castanzo and Mewhort are really good. And I've been really impressed with Reitz this year and I think he should be our starting RT week 1 next year. Then you got Thornton who's gotten better and better week after week. So that's why I think we need one big major addition along the offensive line this offseason. Alex Mack. Signing Mack could potentially give us one of the better lines in the NFL. We all know he's the best C in the league but he would also make Thornton and Mewhort that much better. And he would give us some toughness and push every other lineman to be their best. And he would be a leader for our young lineman and really push them to be the best they can be IMO. Hopefully Irsay gets rid of Grigs because we all know he's afraid to sign great players. Hopefully we get a GM who'll be aggressive in free agency. Think about this line.

Castanzo-Mewhort-Mack-Thornton-Reitz.

Then we'd have Harrison OR Holmes battling for the backup C spot. Probably Denzell Good as a backup, Then we'll probably sign a mid tier FA as a backup and also. Just in case anything happened with Thornton I would draft a guard in the 4th round or so for insurance.

51 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah  we all know Castanzo and Mewhort are really good. And I've been really impressed with Reitz this year and I think he should be our starting RT week 1 next year. Then you got Thornton who's gotten better and better week after week. So that's why I think we need one big major addition along the offensive line this offseason. Alex Mack. Signing Mack could potentially give us one of the better lines in the NFL. We all know he's the best C in the league but he would also make Thornton and Mewhort that much better. And he would give us some toughness and push every other lineman to be their best. And he would be a leader for our young lineman and really push them to be the best they can be IMO. Hopefully Irsay gets rid of Grigs because we all know he's afraid to sign great players. Hopefully we get a GM who'll be aggressive in free agency. Think about this line.

Castanzo-Mewhort-Mack-Thornton-Reitz.

Then we'd have Harrison OR Holmes battling for the backup C spot. Probably Denzell Good as a backup, Then we'll probably sign a mid tier FA as a backup and also. Just in case anything happened with Thornton I would draft a guard in the 4th round or so for insurance.

Bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........... I was with you until the Alex mack statement. Trust me I'd love to have him but last year the Browns could have and would have marched any offer we could have given him and that's not worth it what he got. You also do realize most free agents are a miss especially on the offensive line right? Why go money crazy after we just got out of a cap nightmare? 

Another our oline doesn't stink thread? As if anyone with decent vision will buy it. Ask Frank Gore how great it is. The guy is an animal and even he can't run behind it.  So unless they are the greatest pass protectors on the planet -- and no sane person would suggest that -- overall, they are awful. Snake oil buyers beware of these nonsense threads.

4 hours ago, azcolt said:

Another our oline doesn't stink thread? As if anyone with decent vision will buy it. Ask Frank Gore how great it is. The guy is an animal and even he can't run behind it.  So unless they are the greatest pass protectors on the planet -- and no sane person would suggest that -- overall, they are awful. Snake oil buyers beware of these nonsense threads.

Frank had some lanes before Luck went down. 

The O Line isn't  good but the fix isn't to difficult. Sign a FA C that can block. You can't consistently lose at the point of attack and expect to run the ball. 

A competent C would make this O better before the ink dries on the contract.

Going with Holmes this year IMO was the biggest mistake of the off season. At least bring in a challenger then we'd see just how bad he is. For those of us who didn't already know.. Wisnewski was sitting right in front of us forever. Jags got him for 2 M 1 yr deal. 

We get a real C. I'm not looking to pay big money. I don't think that smart. Mack is 30 coming off a broken leg let someone else pay him. If I paid a Brown it would be RT Schwartz. 

We sign a guy like Wiesnewski and we are better. Maybe we sign Stefen from the Jags. Thornton and Mewhort are immediately better.

Louis, Herremans,  and Holmes need to beat feet.  We can definatley do better.  Those 3 guys should not be on the roster next year.

I don't think the O Line is that far from being solid.

C is the weakest link no question. Then add some depth in the draft preferably someone to push Thorton or take his job if he can't stay healthly or doesn't continue to improve. 

I like Alexander LSU or Ifedi A&M both could provide depth at RT but would push to start at RG. Both probably go day 2. 

Those 2 moves get rid of Holmes and Herremanns. Then it should not be hard to replace Louis. I thought Arkin should have taken his spot in camp last year. 

We spend a early pick on OL sign a real C in FA. We fix the weakest link and lose 3 dogs in the process. 

I could handle another OL in the draft if someone fell in our laps but I would like to go best defensive players available with the other picks. 

This looks like a pretty good class for an edge rusher. I think we could find some help at least into the second. It will be intersting to see where guys like Spence and Lawson go. 

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

Frank had some lanes before Luck went down. 

The O Line isn't  good but the fix isn't to difficult. Sign a FA C that can block. You can't consistently lose at the point of attack and expect to run the ball. 

A competent C would make this O better before the ink dries on the contract.

Going with Holmes this year IMO was the biggest mistake of the off season. At least bring in a challenger then we'd see just how bad he is. For those of us who didn't already know.. Wisnewski was sitting right in front of us forever. Jags got him for 2 M 1 yr deal. 

We get a real C. I'm not looking to pay big money. I don't think that smart. Mack is 30 coming off a broken leg let someone else pay him. If I paid a Brown it would be RT Schwartz. 

We sign a guy like Wiesnewski and we are better. Maybe we sign Stefen from the Jags. Thornton and Mewhort are immediately better.

Louis, Herremans,  and Holmes need to beat feet.  We can definatley do better.  Those 3 guys should not be on the roster next year.

I don't think the O Line is that far from being solid.

C is the weakest link no question. Then add some depth in the draft preferably someone to push Thorton or take his job if he can't stay healthly or doesn't continue to improve. 

I like Alexander LSU or Ifedi A&M both could provide depth at RT but would push to start at RG. Both probably go day 2. 

Those 2 moves get rid of Holmes and Herremanns. Then it should not be hard to replace Louis. I thought Arkin should have taken his spot in camp last year. 

We spend a early pick on OL sign a real C in FA. We fix the weakest link and lose 3 dogs in the process. 

I could handle another OL in the draft if someone fell in our laps but I would like to go best defensive players available with the other picks. 

This looks like a pretty good class for an edge rusher. I think we could find some help at least into the second. It will be intersting to see where guys like Spence and Lawson go. 

Nice post, man.

Teams run about 50% of their running plays up the middle and we ARE getting killed there.
 Grigson in 4 years, and his O-Line coach are failures so far at acquiring/developing a Center.

And you can talk up Mewhort all you want, but his lack of athleticism forever limits us having a versatile runing & screen game. Grit and determination are great but he moves like he is running in a sandbox.
 The model of a Grigson O-lineman unfortunately.
 So i would agree with anyone that says we Must get a VG Center to stabilize our O-Line/running game.
 And a bruising big RB in the mix would be nice also. Go Colts!

7 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

We have to get a good starting Center one way or another. We could draft Voltz or Martin in the 2nd or 3rd.  But I'd prefer to get a couple good defensive players in the early rounds.

Mewhort to C. 

i'd rather draft a beefier LG than draft a smaller C.

34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Mewhort to C. 

i'd rather draft a beefier LG than draft a smaller C.

I'm coming around to this idea as well.  Probably won't happen but it would bring consistent leadership to the center position and we could upgrade the pulling ability at LG at the same time.  

I'm even warming to the idea of signing Osemele at LG so we can devote earlier picks to the defense while securing the line with proven starters.

1 hour ago, The Peytonator said:

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. Osemele would probably be cheaper than Mack too. Mewhort has been good at both RT and LG, but I do have some concern that he's too tall and lanky to be a center, going against the 0/1 techniques. 

Yes.  Which is why I always thought he made a better T than a G too.

9 hours ago, GwinnettColt said:

Yes!  We're getting killed running up the middle.  

For this year, come playoff time (assuming we're there and recovered).  

I like this line-up:

AC/Mewhort/Holmes/Thornton/Reitz.   I think this was the lineup for Denver.  

Why is everyone so blind when it comes to Holmes. He is one of the worst interior O Lineman in the league. That is not only my opinion but Rotoworlds as well. He IS the weak link on the O Line.

It was Harrison who started vs Denver and should continue to start. He not a pro bowler by any means but he's our best option at C IMO.

Holmes is awful. Holmes Louis and Herremans should be cut as soon as the season ends.

The O Line is close to being to being pretty good. That hole at C is what kills us. 

We sign a real C in free agency. We don't over pay for Mack bad idea let someone else do that. I'd bring Wisnewski in if possible. He's still young 26 I believe.

In the draft I have my eye on Ifeldi from A&M. I love his nastiness. He can play RT but would be really good moving back inside to G. There are a few others that can play RT but could be very good moving back inside Drango, Alexander. We can get a player like that day 2. I'm hoping for Ifedi. 

If Thorton doesn't continue to improve or gets hurt. We have his replacement. It also provides insurance for Reitz if he can't stay healthy or if Good can't cut it as a back up 

I'm not as sold on Good as others. 

We have to lose Holmes Louis and Herremanns as soon as the final whistle blows None of those 3 belong on good NFL roster. 

We can't continue to lose at the point of attack. A NFL caliber C would do wonders for this O Line. 

Ideally I would love to focus on D again this years draft. Grab Ifeldi early the rest of the draft focus on best D available. Unless another O Lineman falls in our laps. 

We have Heenan and Barton on the PS. Arkin is on someone's PS. I thought he should have sent Louis packing this year. 

I think a real C and a rookie to bring out the best in Thorton or replace him. We look a lot better. 

10 hours ago, akcolt said:

Why is everyone so blind when it comes to Holmes. He is one of the worst interior O Lineman in the league. That is not only my opinion but Rotoworlds as well. He IS the weak link on the O Line.

It was Harrison who started vs Denver and should continue to start. He not a pro bowler by any means but he's our best option at C IMO.

Holmes is awful. Holmes Louis and Herremans should be cut as soon as the season ends.

The O Line is close to being to being pretty good. That hole at C is what kills us. 

We sign a real C in free agency. We don't over pay for Mack bad idea let someone else do that. I'd bring Wisnewski in if possible. He's still young 26 I believe.

In the draft I have my eye on Ifeldi from A&M. I love his nastiness. He can play RT but would be really good moving back inside to G. There are a few others that can play RT but could be very good moving back inside Drango, Alexander. We can get a player like that day 2. I'm hoping for Ifedi. 

If Thorton doesn't continue to improve or gets hurt. We have his replacement. It also provides insurance for Reitz if he can't stay healthy or if Good can't cut it as a back up 

I'm not as sold on Good as others. 

We have to lose Holmes Louis and Herremanns as soon as the final whistle blows None of those 3 belong on good NFL roster. 

We can't continue to lose at the point of attack. A NFL caliber C would do wonders for this O Line. 

Ideally I would love to focus on D again this years draft. Grab Ifeldi early the rest of the draft focus on best D available. Unless another O Lineman falls in our laps. 

We have Heenan and Barton on the PS. Arkin is on someone's PS. I thought he should have sent Louis packing this year. 

I think a real C and a rookie to bring out the best in Thorton or replace him. We look a lot better. 

I like Holmes and see no evidence that he is the worst lineman in the league.  Harrison cannot seem to snap the ball consistently.

Mack is too expensive, I agree, and in my opinion, would go the way of pro-bowler Todd Herremans once he got here.  I also agree that the jury is still out on Good.  

Reitz has been a core of this line this season and I hope we keep him.  

Thornton has a lot of potential and I hope he continues to improve.