Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tie Breakers


Recommended Posts

Forgive me if this has already been discussed in other threads. 

Win out - we're in.

First tie breaker - head to head.  Second - division games.

THIRD TIE BREAKER - Currently against common opponents we're 2-5 with one left.  Houston is 3-4 with one left.

So, even if Houston loses to NE it still would come down to the head to head game (assuming both teams win their other games)

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

We can go 8-8 and still won the South as long as we beat Houston. But that'd the only way. If we split with them,  and they go 8-8 or 9-7 , same as us,  they get in because of strength of schedule. 

Actually, the next tie breaker is Strength of Victory.  "Strength of victory refers to the combined winning percentages of the opponents that a particular team has beaten."

I haven't done the research, but I think the Texans have us on that so far.

Basically, we need to win out to ensure a playoff spot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Actually, the next tie breaker is Strength of Victory.  "Strength of victory refers to the combined winning percentages of the opponents that a particular team has beaten."

I haven't done the research, but I think the Texans have us on that so far.

Basically, we need to win out to ensure a playoff spot.

Ok yeah, my bad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who cares about tie breakers?  We will win against Jax, and they will lose to NE.  Then we will beat them the following week.  After that we may lose (but I doubt it) to Mia and we will beat Tennessee, while they win against Tennessee and Jax.  It's pretty simple, so either way the season is over for the Texans after they lose to us.  I am what you would say confident and arrogant lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cjrulli said:

If we win this weekend, and HOU loses against NE, and then we win against HOU next week, We clinch. 

If we win out, it doesn't matter what happens between NE and Houston.

My point was that the NE Texans game isn't really that important to us.  We just have to beat them (and not stumble against teams we should beat)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If we win out, it doesn't matter what happens between NE and Houston.

My point was that the NE Texans game isn't really that important to us.  We just have to beat them (and not stumble against teams we should beat)

We have a habit of doing just that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If we win out, it doesn't matter what happens between NE and Houston.

My point was that the NE Texans game isn't really that important to us.  We just have to beat them (and not stumble against teams we should beat)

I still would rather clinch by next week. We have key vets that could use the rest and not only that we could play Andrew sparingly just to keep him fresh but rest him as well to assure he is healthy for the Playoffs. We have had way to many injuries for me to trust us running the table. I would hate to see someone important go down against the Titans on the final day because we are forced to win that game.  I don't want to see Andrew go back down for no reason either when we can clinch in 2 weeks. Gore can use the rest at the end of the season as well, along with Mathis too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still would rather clinch by next week. We have key vets that could use the rest and not only that we could play Andrew sparingly just to keep him fresh but rest him as well to assure he is healthy for the Playoffs. We have had way to many injuries for me to trust us running the table. I would hate to see someone important go down against the Titans on the final day because we are forced to win that game.  I don't want to see Andrew go back down for no reason either when we can clinch in 2 weeks. Gore can use the rest at the end of the season as well, along with Mathis too.

Got you.  You're saying that if the Texans lose to NE, then to us, we could even lose the last two games and still win the division.  So, we could rest guys. 

I'm not for resting healthy players (and I don't want to start an 09 thread).  But I am for letting guys that are banged up sit out.  Of course, everyone is banged up at this point, but you know what I mean.  Let Boom play most of the game, etc.

That would be a great way to end the season.  Let's hope!

Link to post
Share on other sites

09 was different. I was mad when we didn't go for 16-0 because that was history in the making and Peyton was healthy. At 14-0 you have to go for that. With Andrew being banged up still I would rather have the option of resting him if we choose to do so in the final 2 games. I would still play him to keep him fresh but maybe for a Half only. I am not really rooting for the Patriots to beat the Texans as so much I would just like to see the Texans lose but if the Patriots won, it would help us out in the long run. It gives us more options if we do indeed beat the Texans at that point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ColtStronger said:

Who cares about tie breakers?  We will win against Jax, and they will lose to NE.  Then we will beat them the following week.  After that we may lose (but I doubt it) to Mia and we will beat Tennessee, while they win against Tennessee and Jax.  It's pretty simple, so either way the season is over for the Texans after they lose to us.  I am what you would say confident and arrogant lol

I really hope we lose

Link to post
Share on other sites

....(and not stumble against teams we should beat)

17 hours ago, GoDeep said:

We have a habit of doing just that.

That might have some truth, but only to out of division teams, not AFC South opponents.  After the Texans, 2 of the 3 games left are AFC South opponents.

Just winning the Texans game swings so many things the Colts way for getting in to the playoffs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

....(and not stumble against teams we should beat)

That might have some truth, but only to out of division teams, not AFC South opponents.  After the Texans, 2 of the 3 games left are AFC South opponents.

Just winning the Texans game swings so many things the Colts way for getting in to the playoffs.

True.  I predict we sweep division and lose to the Fins.

The only game I care about for the rest of the season is the Houston game.  We can't let them beat us in our house for the first time.  Playoffs don't matter to me too much.  We just don't have the team to make a deep run this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no way I am going to root for New England to win. If the Colts cant play good enough to put themselves into the playoffs too bad. If they expect to make any noise in the playoffs they have to play good enough to win games without help from no one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

I really hope we lose

Why would you hope we lose?  You do realize there has been worse teams get hot at the right time and make it to the Super Bowl right?  The Colts have been banged up all year and are getting some guys back in the next 2 weeks.  Just because it's been a roller coaster ride of a season means nothing once playoffs start.  "It is a new season" and everybody is 0-0 virtually!

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, GoDeep said:

True.  I predict we sweep division and lose to the Fins.

The only game I care about for the rest of the season is the Houston game.  We can't let them beat us in our house for the first time.  Playoffs don't matter to me too much.  We just don't have the team to make a deep run this year.

We've improved from last season just have been very inconsistent.  We made it to the AFCCG last season, why can't we this year?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the Colts and don't want to be "that guy" or a Debbie Downer but we legitimately stand no chance against anyone in the playoffs this year. Sure, we could get kind of lucky and maybe beat 1 team in the playoffs but that would be a long shot in my honest opinion. Our guys look like they've hung it up early this season and are prepared for black Monday clean out. I don't see the fire in anyone to do everything they can to win games anymore. But I'm still rootin' for them!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Our guys look like they've hung it up early this season and are prepared for black Monday clean out. I don't see the fire in anyone to do everything they can to win games anymore. 

You are making this judgment based only on the Pitt game? There is no way you could feel this way after winning three in a row, two with a back-up QB. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ColtStronger said:

Why would you hope we lose?  You do realize there has been worse teams get hot at the right time and make it to the Super Bowl right?  The Colts have been banged up all year and are getting some guys back in the next 2 weeks.  Just because it's been a roller coaster ride of a season means nothing once playoffs start.  "It is a new season" and everybody is 0-0 virtually!

Really if I was the opposite team facing the Colts even in indy in would not be scared I would laugh and laugh very hard because they could not even scare a horse fly

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Really if I was the opposite team facing the Colts even in indy in would not be scared I would laugh and laugh very hard because they could not even scare a horse fly

A) why are you even a fan of football hoping for a team to lose unless your a troll

B) you clearly have payed no attention. Yes we lost bad to Pitt, but your memory must be so bad you forget we shut down peyton, we shutdown Winston in the second half after he came off a 5 td game, we managed to keep the Falcons and all of there threat down long enough for a win. This is a very competitive football team your just a damn troll

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Larry Horseman said:

You are making this judgment based only on the Pitt game? There is no way you could feel this way after winning three in a row, two with a back-up QB. 

 

The answer to your question is no. I watch every Colts game and just about every game that gets aired in my area. It may be wrong to compare but the Colts don't have a leg to stand on after all the injuries. Some teams overcome that, next man up plays just as hard as the starter before him, however it's different with the Colts. They are lacking motivation offensively even through the wins in my opinion. Some players look as if they are shutting down early for the season and giving up hope. Chuck seems a lot different this season as well and it shows in all the interviews and on the sidelines. He knows he's gone and in my opinion I can read that from the vibe he sets (especially in interviews). Just how I've seen it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

 

The answer to your question is no. I watch every Colts game and just about every game that gets aired in my area. It may be wrong to compare but the Colts don't have a leg to stand on after all the injuries. Some teams overcome that, next man up plays just as hard as the starter before him, however it's different with the Colts. They are lacking motivation offensively even through the wins in my opinion. Some players look as if they are shutting down early for the season and giving up hope. Chuck seems a lot different this season as well and it shows in all the interviews and on the sidelines. He knows he's gone and in my opinion I can read that from the vibe he sets (especially in interviews). Just how I've seen it.

I agree Chuck is different. We can disagree the players have mailed it in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2015 at 11:51 AM, Smonroe said:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed in other threads. 

Win out - we're in.

First tie breaker - head to head.  Second - division games.

THIRD TIE BREAKER - Currently against common opponents we're 2-5 with one left.  Houston is 3-4 with one left.

So, even if Houston loses to NE it still would come down to the head to head game (assuming both teams win their other games)

Isn't the main culprit game New Orleans?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Really if I was the opposite team facing the Colts even in indy in would not be scared I would laugh and laugh very hard because they could not even scare a horse fly

Well "freeney fan" it's pretty obvious you're not really a Colts fan. Enjoy the season maybe you'll learn a thing or two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 11, 2015 at 9:20 AM, ColtStronger said:

We've improved from last season just have been very inconsistent.  We made it to the AFCCG last season, why can't we this year?

 

I'd list all the reasons why we can't this year,  but I don't want to crash the entire internet.

Is it impossible?      No.     But it sure is a heck of a long-shot.

And the odds this year are much longer than the odds last year........

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2015 at 2:20 PM, ColtStronger said:

Who cares about tie breakers?  We will win against Jax, and they will lose to NE.  Then we will beat them the following week.  After that we may lose (but I doubt it) to Mia and we will beat Tennessee, while they win against Tennessee and Jax.  It's pretty simple, so either way the season is over for the Texans after they lose to us.  I am what you would say confident and arrogant lol

The only way they lose to the Pats is if they (the Pats) insert Gronk into the mix, I don't see that happening.  He's been classified as "if needed", which is just crazy odd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2015 at 7:43 AM, Freenyfan102 said:

Really if I was the opposite team facing the Colts even in indy in would not be scared I would laugh and laugh very hard because they could not even scare a horse fly

You might be right as far as not scaring anyone but with Luck in the mix (and a new head on his shoulders), healthy WR corp., AC back, and many others healed up from earlier trauma, I'd give us a chance to do some damage against whatever "horse-fly" opponents you can bring to the table Flippantfan102.  Bring'em in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...