Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting notes: Ole Miss OT, Laremy Tunsil

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/laremy-tunsil/

I've really enjoyed watching Ole Miss this year. They have a lot of good players, and most of them are on the way to the draft. Laremy Tunsil is one of them, and his tapes show a high quality prospect at left tackle. I've watched everything on DB, and he's gotten better since last season, which is a good sign. He also got in trouble with the NCAA for taking illegal benefits and then lying to investigators, and missed 7 games this season because of it. That's after a nasty leg injury at the end of 2014.

Size: Listed at 6'5", 305 pounds, which is a good frame, but he could be a little longer. He has good arm length, and he can put on more muscle. 4/5

Athleticism/mobility: He gets out of his stance well, has great feet, smooth kick-slide, moves well laterally to the left and right, and goes forward and backward with ease in both phases of the game. Can get to the second level with little issue, has the range to pull and get out in front and block in the open field. Not a lot of short area burst to make up for mistakes or getting beat, but he's smooth when changing directions. Has good bend and flexibility, knees and hips. Extends his range with cut blocks that are usually effective at taking his man out of the play. 7/10

Technique: Again, good footwork, doesn't make mistakes or take false steps. Usually plays with good balance, even when on the move. Squares up with his man, but handles exchanges and stunts well because of his hands and arms. Sometimes keeps his hands too low before he engages, and doesn't hand punch consistently. Sets a good edge in pass protection even without good use of hand punch. When he does hand punch, he can recoil, reload, and reengage effectively. Comes in with good control when blocking on the move, usually making his block. Can come in too high at times. Keeps his hands inside and avoids penalties, but sometimes places hands too high on a defender, leaving himself susceptible to moves. 8/10

Physicality: Kind of a brute, and he probably hasn't reached his full potential physically. Moves his man with relative ease in power situations. Once he gets his hands on the defender, it's usually over. Wipes guys out when blocking on the move or down blocking. I've seen him block two defenders, one with each arm, slowing them both down. Finishes well. My issue is again with the hand punch, or lack thereof, but this is more of a technique issue than an ability issue. 8/10

Pass blocking: A plus protector, pops up into a pass blocking stance quickly, mirrors his man well, redirects. When he gets beat around the edge, he still can push his man past the QB. Does well on double teams, which are rare in normal pass situations. Can shut down pass rushers with little help, and the Rebels throw downfield a lot. 4/5

Run blocking: Very capable. Gets good push, double teams well, usually seals to the correct side, drives well with his legs while keeping a straight back, cuts well on runs away, gets out in front of screens and connects with a defender, and will keep running downfield until the play is over. 4/5

Vision/awareness: Identifies blitzes well, often picks up the right guy. The protections are simple at Ole Miss, but he seems to understand who he is responsible for every time, not often missing. Sees who/where to block when on the move. Will lose focus at times at jump early. Nothing unusual for a LT. 4/5

Versatility: LT is the hardest position to play, and his team allows him to play on an island enough to prove that he can handle the pressure. First game back from his suspension this year, he shut down a pretty disruptive pass rusher (A&M sophomore Myles Garrett). He has the power and mobility to play guard. No idea whether he can play center (which includes snapping, calling out protections, adjusting to late pressure up the middle, etc.) Anything on the right side would involve flipping his footwork and hand placement, but the ability is there to play RT. Just a matter of technique and muscle memory. However, he's a LT prospect, with the ability to start right away. And he has no shortcomings that would prevent him from excelling in either a ZBS or MBS. 4/5

Overall: 43/55, 78%, high first rounder

Scheme fit: Can play in any blocking scheme, and every team needs lock down tackles who can run block.

Compares to lots of NFL tackles. He can play right away at LT. Not any real flaws to his game, he has a good disposition on the field, goes to the whistle every down, seems capable of handling any assignment. If you aren't turned off by his NCAA issues (which I'm not, really), or the fight he had with his stepfather (who ratted him out publicly) or his leg or bicep injury in 2014 (he's healthy now and has played well), then he should be a top ten pick.

I watched the 2014 Alabama and the 2015 LSU game and there is some decent improvement between the two.  One of the things I really noticed, probably more than anything is that, as you said, he keeps a great balance.  Even when he gets a little off balance, i'ts not by much, and I don't think I really saw one time where it caused him to lose the match up in that particular play.  His hand punch is coachable and other than one false start out of the two games, his focus is strong throughout the game. 

On the run blocking, I seemed to notice that his role was more often than not one of two things (a) seal the edge or (b) double team and get to the second level.  I really wish I could have seen more one on one power blocking.  Not that I don't think he can do it, he seems capable enoguh, but would have been nice to see. 

12 hours ago, wig said:

I can't imagine Tennessee would pass.  Lewan would move to the right side and they'll have two elite tackles for years to come.

They could really use some help in the secondary. I could see them trading down a couple spots and picking up a strong CB too. Maybe get the RT with the 2nd pick.